Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

lol, no. Extra cooling will maybe extend the life of a faulty cap by a week or two but it won't do jack poo poo for long term reliability.

How so? I've never had an issue where switching to 85C caps significantly impacted the life of a product (Along with changing the cooling profile of the device to match of course). If there's good evidence to support using 105C caps is that much more reliable I'll push harder to not cost down the BOM on future layouts I work on. I've always been very flexible about part replacements as long as they're including redesign cost in the switch over, but I can always push back more if there's a good reason to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

craig588 posted:

How so? I've never had an issue where switching to 85C caps significantly impacted the life of a product (Along with changing the cooling profile of the device to match of course). If there's good evidence to support using 105C caps is that much more reliable I'll push harder to not cost down the BOM on future layouts I work on. I've always been very flexible about part replacements as long as they're including redesign cost in the switch over, but I can always push back more if there's a good reason to.

We're talking about faulty caps here, not under capacity ones, as the fault gets worse through use resistance and operating temps are just going to increase until you get a thermal runaway and then poof. Hell, we've seen them bow up at idle, right at start up, under load, in every state you can think of, better cooling did not help at all.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

craig588 posted:

Yeah, it was a batch of faulty caps.

That'll do it. My 1070 SC I got back in August is still going strong *knocks on wood* so hopefully that means I missed the batch of cards that had the batch of faulty caps.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

spasticColon posted:

That'll do it. My 1070 SC I got back in August is still going strong *knocks on wood* so hopefully that means I missed the batch of cards that had the batch of faulty caps.

Mine from early July is also working fine. I installed that one bios update that increased the fan speed a little bit but didn't get around to putting the thermal padding into it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I got mine in July, iirc. Still going strong as well, though two months ago I put it under water.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

havenwaters posted:

Mine from early July is also working fine. I installed that one bios update that increased the fan speed a little bit but didn't get around to putting the thermal padding into it.

Same here I installed the vbios update but didn't install the thermal pads.

PerrineClostermann posted:

I got mine in July, iirc. Still going strong as well, though two months ago I put it under water.

I'm tempted to do this with my next PC build put a water cooler on my 1070 and move it to my new build and water cool the CPU in the new build as well so I have a nearly silent rig.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Not really GPU-related, but I've got a good joke for you guys.

You know what's funny?
MSI's M.2 heat shield.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I really hope the industry comes up with a decent solution for M.2 drives soon. Otherwise, I'm thinking thermal adhesive and some little RAM heatsinks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Junior Jr. posted:

Not really GPU-related, but I've got a good joke for you guys.

You know what's funny?
MSI's M.2 heat shield.

Well, legally speaking, it does 'shield' the rest of your components from the M.2 drive's heat. :v:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Man, jet.com has some good deals on GTX 1080s. Discounting 12% before taxes compared to paying full price plus taxes everywhere else saves like a hundred bucks-- has anyone had issues buying stuff from there?

Also, what GTX1080 models are lovely and explode or have coil whine or something?

Specifically, I'm looking at this dude: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487244

jokes fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 12, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Jet is now owned by Walmart.

Do with that information as you will.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Crawl back to micro center it is.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Jet is now owned by Walmart.

Do with that information as you will.
I can't help but feel like Jet was a scam specifically created to get bought out by Amazon or Walmart.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Josh Lyman posted:

I can't help but feel like Jet was a scam specifically created to get bought out by Amazon or Walmart.

Like most of those scams it worked!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I really hope the industry comes up with a decent solution for M.2 drives soon. Otherwise, I'm thinking thermal adhesive and some little RAM heatsinks.

Aqua Computers m.2 heatsink is supposedly pretty good.

https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=3400
https://www.tek.no/artikler/test-aqua-computer-kryom-2-pcie-ssd-adapter-med-kjoleribbe/358724

They also do a watercooled version for some reason :confused:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Another cool thing Aqua computers sell is a Shim for Intel processors, to make delidding a bit safer.

I'll have to check and see if there is any case cutout underneath the M2 socket when I take the board out for fitting, if so I'll thermal epoxy some copper graphisc card ramsinks to it. But there probably will not be any space, and this is ITX so no free PCIE slot.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Feb 12, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

This was basically how you started a US company in the 00s: convince customers of your value proposition and have a sensible business model ... or design your company for Google who had its parents' credit card with them and no revenue stream outside of ads.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So would it be a bad idea to get one of the EVGA 1070 FTWs with the ACX cooler for $350 now when they just announced the ICX cooler?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the cause was a defect on the capacitors used, so it's a dice roll on all currently existing FTWs

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Maybe I'll just wait since any discount isn't worth my system dying.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

non-blower reference PCB cards by Gigabyte and MSI go for almost that cheap pretty often

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SourKraut posted:

So would it be a bad idea to get one of the EVGA 1070 FTWs with the ACX cooler for $350 now when they just announced the ICX cooler?

The chance of having a bad cap on a particular card is very, very small and the cooling on ACX cards is fine now that they have the extra thermal pads. The reason to buy ICX would be piece of mind and the various bells and whistles like all the extra temperature sensors if you like that sort of thing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I was looking for a ~$250 videocard so I figured a GTX1060 6GB would be right. I came across this link on reddit for JET: https://jet.com/product/PNY-Technologies-VCGGTX10606PB-PNY-GeForce-GTX-1060-Graphic-Card-151-GHz-Core-17/885e9673216d4f639ae4f4f512375535
If you use the code triple15, choose the no free return option, and pay with a Visa card it comes out to $210.30 total, including two day shipping.

Just trying to help anyone in the same boat. Amazon wanted $266 after tax for the same card. It might not be the best thing ever but it seems like a good deal.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I was looking for a ~$250 videocard so I figured a GTX1060 6GB would be right. I came across this link on reddit for JET: https://jet.com/product/PNY-Technologies-VCGGTX10606PB-PNY-GeForce-GTX-1060-Graphic-Card-151-GHz-Core-17/885e9673216d4f639ae4f4f512375535
If you use the code triple15, choose the no free return option, and pay with a Visa card it comes out to $210.30 total, including two day shipping.

Just trying to help anyone in the same boat. Amazon wanted $266 after tax for the same card. It might not be the best thing ever but it seems like a good deal.

Or just buy an 8GB 480 for $200 and don't worry about the no free returns. The only reason to get a 1060 is if have a gsync monitor. Otherwise, the 480 is better performance/price.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, if you buy through Jet, it is never worth it to waive free returns. There's history of their contracted retailers sending the wrong model or thing. Feel free to save fifty cents paying with debit, though.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You still get free returns, it's just like a weird thing to discourage returns. I've returned "no free returns" stuff from Jet and gotten replacements completely free. Maybe they mean they have the option of denying you a free return if they decide your return was caused by user error rather than manufacturing defect?

Edit: Of course this also was before they were purchased and they might have been running a looser operation just working to build a customer base. I haven't bought anything from them since they were purchased.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MrLogan posted:

Or just buy an 8GB 480 for $200 and don't worry about the no free returns. The only reason to get a 1060 is if have a gsync monitor. Otherwise, the 480 is better performance/price.

There's more reasons than just a G-sync monitor - I went with a 1060 6GB in part because a number of the games in my Steam library have issues with AMD hardware, and also because the Linux support has generally worked better for me with Nvidia.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So given that its really looking like ryzen is going to shake up the cpu side is there anything mind blowing coming on the gpu side? Feels very boring atm and still nothing is out or close to being out that makes me want to move up from my sli 980tis

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Nope!

First time in 12 years though that a large number of people will be doing builds with an AMD CPU and an Nvidia GPU though, so, that's something

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Scarecow posted:

So given that its really looking like ryzen is going to shake up the cpu side is there anything mind blowing coming on the gpu side? Feels very boring atm and still nothing is out or close to being out that makes me want to move up from my sli 980tis

Not yet. Check in next generation. The high-end GPUs on both sides should all be using stacked memory by then, but what that actually materially means (Fury doesn't count, 28nm process, an architecture that was never meant to be used on 28nm, only 4 GB) in a gaming context remains to be seen.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 13, 2017

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

Nope!

First time in 12 years though that a large number of people will be doing builds with an AMD CPU and an Nvidia GPU though, so, that's something

Yeah, I'm looking at getting an R5 1600X Ryzen CPU for my next build and moving my 1070 over to the new build. Suck it, 7700K.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

Nope!

That's actually how I built my last two computers, and I'm glad that Ryzen is dropping right as my current main desktop is getting too old so I can repeat the process.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Since there are some half-height 1050/Ti options coming out I was curious about the possibility of putting one of those into one of the business-class SFFs from HP, Dell, etc., something like a Lenovo Thinkcentre M9x or similar. While it can be hard to find details I read that some of the boards limit power to the PCIe 16x slots to 40 W. I know the 1050s can use 75 W max, from the slot with no external connectors, which is what makes them attractive for throwing in prebuilts. How would an AIB function if it could only draw 40 W? Would it work fine but with a handicap due to the power limitation, run unstably, or not run at all?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I got a 40" 4K HDTV to use as a third monitor (Samsung 40KU6300) annnnndddd...yeah, that resolution and even 1440p resolution is pretty nice.

Could my 970 GTX MSI OC + maybe $150 get me something that's worth the upgrade to get those higher resolutions working better? Or am I better off waiting?

Admittedly, physically I'm not sure if I can go much bigger on the GPU. That 970 is packed kinda tight in my case.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

89 posted:

Could my 970 GTX MSI OC + maybe $150 get me something that's worth the upgrade to get those higher resolutions working better? Or am I better off waiting?
Do you mean you want to sell your 970 GTX and add $150 more to get an upgrade? If you can flip your 970 for at least $150 on Craigslist and pick up a 1070 on Craigslist for $300 (or get one from one of those Jet.com sales) that'd be a good upgrade for 1440p at least. It'll require legwork selling your card and finding a deal though which I would find to be a pain.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
So my 2nd hand 970 from eBay turned out to be a diamond in the rough I think. It's a gigabyte g1 because for some reason those are the cheapest 2nd hand even going cheaper than some blower models.

Anyway I've slowly been overclocking it over the past few days. Testing in xcom2, Skyrim, gtav, 3d mark and haven. No artifacts or other glitches from what I can tell. Currently at 1600mhz on the core (!) And 4000mhz on the memory. That's with power target at max and +15mv to voltage.

It appears to be totally stable and stays below 70c after hours looping benchmarks.

I wasn't expecting it to be this easy, but I think I'm done? I don't want to push it till it pops and this is already a substantial overclock. I would like to know more about what I've actually changed though.

Voltage wise I've only raised it by 15mv but the Internet has told me that you should just max it out as it'll be hard limited by the bios anyway? Is there any software I can use to find out exactly what power is now running through it compared to stock speeds? Some other places on the Internet said to never chamge the voltage only everything else. All in all its been a very confusing experience, even though things seem to have gone very well for me.

I was also wondering what the truth was regarding memory speed. Pretty sure at some point I read about gpu frequency being tied via multiplier to mem speed? So no amount of overclocking one will net any gains till the other is clocked equally?

All I can find on the Internet seems to be biased one way or another and can't seem to find any hard facts or solid reliable guides to overclocking. I pretty much just used common sense and experience from much older hardware.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Rabid Snake posted:

Do you mean you want to sell your 970 GTX and add $150 more to get an upgrade? If you can flip your 970 for at least $150 on Craigslist and pick up a 1070 on Craigslist for $300 (or get one from one of those Jet.com sales) that'd be a good upgrade for 1440p at least. It'll require legwork selling your card and finding a deal though which I would find to be a pain.

What's the jump like between a 970 and a 1070?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

89 posted:

What's the jump like between a 970 and a 1070?

Its like peak 970 SLI without the issues, or a 980ti to 970 is another very similar comparison.

Captain Hair posted:

So my 2nd hand 970 from eBay turned out to be a diamond in the rough I think. It's a gigabyte g1 because for some reason those are the cheapest 2nd hand even going cheaper than some blower models.

Anyway I've slowly been overclocking it over the past few days. Testing in xcom2, Skyrim, gtav, 3d mark and haven. No artifacts or other glitches from what I can tell. Currently at 1600mhz on the core (!) And 4000mhz on the memory. That's with power target at max and +15mv to voltage.

It appears to be totally stable and stays below 70c after hours looping benchmarks.

I wasn't expecting it to be this easy, but I think I'm done? I don't want to push it till it pops and this is already a substantial overclock. I would like to know more about what I've actually changed though.

Voltage wise I've only raised it by 15mv but the Internet has told me that you should just max it out as it'll be hard limited by the bios anyway? Is there any software I can use to find out exactly what power is now running through it compared to stock speeds? Some other places on the Internet said to never chamge the voltage only everything else. All in all its been a very confusing experience, even though things seem to have gone very well for me.

I was also wondering what the truth was regarding memory speed. Pretty sure at some point I read about gpu frequency being tied via multiplier to mem speed? So no amount of overclocking one will net any gains till the other is clocked equally?

All I can find on the Internet seems to be biased one way or another and can't seem to find any hard facts or solid reliable guides to overclocking. I pretty much just used common sense and experience from much older hardware.

1600 mhz stable is very good yes. Dont be totally shocked if you have to turn that down later though after real game testing.

I'm interested in what you mean about memory (vram I assume) overclocking though. Never heard of any of that. Gains might be minimal to none but there is typically a substantial amount memory speed left on the table and it doesn't affect temperature noticeably might as well go for it. I typically got 900 series cards over 8000 mhz or close to it

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

1gnoirents posted:

Its like peak 970 SLI without the issues, or a 980ti to 970 is another very similar comparison.

Both good comparisons. I have SLI 970s, a friend has a 980ti in his desktop and a 1070 in his laptop. I beat him in 3DMark without a problem, he beats me in most real games, especially if we turn up the detail to where the 3.5+.5 vs. 6 vs. 8 GB VRAM differences come in to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

1gnoirents posted:

1600 mhz stable is very good yes. Dont be totally shocked if you have to turn that down later though after real game testing.

I'm interested in what you mean about memory (vram I assume) overclocking though. Never heard of any of that. Gains might be minimal to none but there is typically a substantial amount memory speed left on the table and it doesn't affect temperature noticeably might as well go for it. I typically got 900 series cards over 8000 mhz or close to it

I fully expect *something* to take issue at the overclock, I was actually expecting both gta v and xcom2 to have major issues. Nothing so far though so fingers crossed :) when something does have issue I'll drop back to 1500mhz and see how that is.

As far as the memory goes, to be more specific my vague recollection was that there was something like a 1.8 or 2.4 multiplier or something between the graphics ram and gpu. So if you didn't overclock your graphics ram it would hold back the gpu speed, or vice versa.

I'm sure it was something to do with a ratio of sorts. Like if you were at 1.5 core any speed higher than 3 on the gddr wouldn't actually make a difference as it was locked to x2 of the gpu frequency.

I've tried but can't find any documentation about it, so I'm just gonna forget I heard about it as it can't be very important whatever it was.