Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

etalian posted:

probably doesn't help that none of the new martian characters seem to have any chemistry with each other.
Yeah, this is really my biggest issue. Shouty marines, while not my favorite subject, would be a lot more tolerable to watch if they seemed like they got along and were actually comrades who cared for each other, rather than people who just hated everything, including each other.

flosofl posted:

Bobbie - I really hate Earth. A lot. And I'm strong.
The Lieutenant - I sure am war-weary. Really, you kids just don't understand war.
The Rich Bitch - I'm rich but I'm regular folk. I'm also xenophobic to the point of seriously threatening my ELITE squad's cohesion.
Earth Immigrant - I may be from Earth, but Mars is my home. Stop picking on me.
Some Guy: Really, I'm an integral member. But I'll just faaaade into the background.
While I don't like the Martian marines bit, this complaint seems silly. You're basically taking issue with the fact that they have easy to process introductory traits. So far they've introduced five people, made them do stuff so that you can remember who's who... and that's it. What more were they supposed to do with this pile of new characters who only get a few scenes every episode?

I mean, they could have had less lovely hostile introductions, sure, but of course they're just going to have really basic character traits at this point.

Also, isn't that "some guy" a Belter? I forget if he said so, but I was assuming as much based on his build and accent.

Book stuff: What he posted was a lovely hint. By posting this without spoilers you've confirmed it. I agree he shouldn't have put things that way, but you made them worse by not spoiling this.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

gfarrell80 posted:

Is Earth really just written off as an overpopulated but basically self-sustaining type place, and Earth's power as a force in the Solar system is derived from it's control of orbital, moon-based, and other remote space-based installations?

Overpopulated but definitely not self sufficient. The show sort of touches on it with the sea wall in NY, but Earth has been ravaged by climate change and is dependant on the resources of the outer solar system.

Where the "lazy Earthers" thing comes from is free air, free water and free money. UBI isn't all it's cracked up to be, though.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Ah, the ol' "spoil by complaining about spoilers" bit.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Eiba posted:

While I don't like the Martian marines bit, this complaint seems silly. You're basically taking issue with the fact that they have easy to process introductory traits. So far they've introduced five people, made them do stuff so that you can remember who's who... and that's it. What more were they supposed to do with this pile of new characters who only get a few scenes every episode?

I don't know, but more than this. It just seems so clumsy and ham-handed and really feels different than the rest of the show. Even the Ceres prostitute in S1 (who probably had the same or less screen time and lines) was given more depth of character.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, but there are some ridiculous goofs in the film, like antigravity jail cells in which blood drips up towards the ceiling and people exploding upon exposure to vacuum.

It's basically a remake of High Noon in space, with Sean Connery playing Gary Cooper. Still entertaining, good performances.

Not entirely a High Noon remake in that it brings in the evils of capitalism; exploitation of human labor innn spaaaacee. But yeah, there's goofs for sure. It is all made up for with the "My men? My men are poo poo" line though. And I see Miller's space cop character as sort of a merging of Sean Connery's character in Outland and Harrison Ford's character in Blade Runner, with a bit of new fun stuff brought to the table.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Hey guy, not everyone here knows what's going to happen and this is a pretty lovely thing to do. I've read the books so I know, but others don't and you're straight up spoiling things. Good job.

I haven't read the books but from the get go was pretty confident most if not all of the Mars marines are going to get killed off. It would make their deaths cooler and more emotional though if they took the screen time they have now to develop them a bit better and make them more interesting (kind of like how the medic who got his head blown off was a likable and intriguing guy). Right now I don't see myself shedding much of a tear for any of them, except maybe the Earther (and the bald captain).

gfarrell80 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 11, 2017

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Snuffman posted:

Overpopulated but definitely not self sufficient. The show sort of touches on it with the sea wall in NY, but Earth has been ravaged by climate change and is dependant on the resources of the outer solar system.

Where the "lazy Earthers" thing comes from is free air, free water and free money. UBI isn't all it's cracked up to be, though.

There's the thing that bugs me a little. What is the resource they need to live on Earth that they need to get from the outer planets and asteroids? They haven't made it exactly clear yet.

Apparently there's fusion power now, so energy shouldn't be an issue. They have air (not a space balls situation). Water can't be an issue on Earth, with fusion power drinkable water should be available for all. The sky isn't shown as so polluted that sunlight isn't getting through, so I assume there is enough sun to grow crops and food isn't an issue. They're not getting space food delivered from orbital farms or anything.

I really don't see what they would need from the outer solar system, unless it is some exotic space metal or fuel needed for the advanced fusion energy technology that is only available from asteroids. Generally though anything on an asteroid is just as easily mined on Earth.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Various important metals aren't as abundant as you might think. We get by currently, but in a world where you have to create and maintain infrastructure for 30 billion people, which I assume also brought up the third world more up to par with the first one, there's a lot of need for iron, copper and aluminium. Not to mention those rare earth metals, but I have no idea if one might find those on asteroids.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

flosofl posted:

I don't know, but more than this. It just seems so clumsy and ham-handed and really feels different than the rest of the show. Even the Ceres prostitute in S1 (who probably had the same or less screen time and lines) was given more depth of character.

And as another example the Martians who get the crew to the Rocinate had more weight and gravitas when they get smoked and all but one of those dudes was just in a full mask suit the entire time. They acted like professional soldiers, this new 'MARTIAN ELITE" group comes across as a Boy Scout troop or a bunk at camp. Another contrasting example from season 1 to this point specifically with the arrogance and stuff. This season? "WE GOTTA PUT OUR BOOTS ON EARTH SOIL AND MURDER THEIR POPULATION BY HAND!' and acting like a high school football team versus the calmness of the big space fight like they're just on another training mission, because that's all they've done. And I think the ultimate, perfect expression of that is the grizzled-looking, collected Captain is sipping coffee when they start shooting.

Plus you've got Alex explaining to them in increasing disbelief at what he knows is happening, like his reality is coming unraveled really drives home the Martian confidence thing. I get that they are setting up whatever but the Martian MC come across as 'hit the audience over the head' writing versus how the show usually handles stuff, especially when you compare it to the first season.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Justin Credible posted:

And as another example the Martians who get the crew to the Rocinate had more weight and gravitas when they get smoked and all but one of those dudes was just in a full mask suit the entire time. They acted like professional soldiers.

Yeah the Season 1 martians seemed like a believable professional military while season 2 martians are gung ho parodies out of a Tom Clancy novel.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

etalian posted:

Yeah the Season 1 martians seemed like a believable professional military while season 2 martians are gung ho parodies out of a Tom Clancy novel.

The ELITE, the BEST OF THE BEST squad acts like parodies. It's pretty tonally inconsistent.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bobbie’s squad is actually known to be poo poo, which is why they got the job of “investigate this place where everyone died mysteriously” and now “guard farms”.

Not really but I like to imagine it that way.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is this the whole scene from episode 1 that's missing on the streaming services?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rHjgQF6y1M

If so, how in the gently caress did that happen?!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

gfarrell80 posted:

There's the thing that bugs me a little. What is the resource they need to live on Earth that they need to get from the outer planets and asteroids? They haven't made it exactly clear yet.

If I recall correctly, helium-3 and lithium are some of the more important raw materials Earth imports.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is this the whole scene from episode 1 that's missing on the streaming services?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rHjgQF6y1M

That's the missing scene.

That’s not the sole difference between the broadcast and VOD versions, but it’s the major one.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 11, 2017

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

That's the missing scene.

That’s not the difference between the broadcast and VOD versions, but it’s the major one.

Yeah watching on Amazon, if not for the "previously on" segment I probably wouldn't have been able to figure out who that guy was when he appeared.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Combat Pretzel posted:

For reasons yet (AFAIK) unexplained, somewhere between SyFy and the VOD hosts, someone made the baffling decision / boneheaded mistake of handing over the rebroadcast cut instead of the regular cut. Thus the missing scene, lack of opening credits, and censored profanity.

Can't remember if my (Amazon Prime) copy of S2E3 had any obviously missing 'gently caress's like the first two eps did, but hopefully things will be squared up from now on.

https://twitter.com/AbrahamHanover/status/827393580914216962

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fister Roboto posted:

Dee would make a pretty good Belter.

Last page, but holy poo poo yes. She's got the horrible skinny lanky bird-body to do it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Toast Museum posted:

If I recall correctly, helium-3 and lithium are some of the more important raw materials Earth imports.

Lithium is for sure critically important, and it may be the most valuable single metal in the setting. No clue on the science of this, but they make a big deal out of how Stars don't really expel it at the rate that other metals are created, and between its scarcity and use in various electronics it's super prized. Gold and Platinum, meanwhile, can be found all over the place in various asteroids, so while they are far from worthless they're less rare than they are now. Heck, there are concerns about running out of lithium right now since we haven't figured out how to synthesize it, it's going into all kinds of fancy electronic gizmos, and it's nowhere near as commonly found as stuff like iron and coal.

Helium-3 makes sense since that's been a theorized energy source from the moon, but I can't recall reading anything about it.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Space cut out the airlock sex scene despite having a nudity warning, but does not censor the word gently caress even though there was no warning about coarse language. :shrug:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

etalian posted:

Aren't these the space equivalent of guys who draw dicks in porta potties?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Well realistically they aren't going to be entirely homogeneous in personality.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Accretionist posted:

You'd think so, but they're force recon.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Accretionist posted:

If you'd seen Generation Kill you'd know that's not exactly an unrealistic portrayal of an elite military unit.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

gfarrell80 posted:

Apparently there's fusion power now, so energy shouldn't be an issue. They have air (not a space balls situation). Water can't be an issue on Earth, with fusion power drinkable water should be available for all. The sky isn't shown as so polluted that sunlight isn't getting through, so I assume there is enough sun to grow crops and food isn't an issue. They're not getting space food delivered from orbital farms or anything.

I really don't see what they would need from the outer solar system, unless it is some exotic space metal or fuel needed for the advanced fusion energy technology that is only available from asteroids. Generally though anything on an asteroid is just as easily mined on Earth.

Realistically our presence in space is more likely to be like in Antarctica. Some research stations, maybe even some bigger than McMurdo. Tourists on cruise ships but not necessarily any stationary hotels or resorts. Some mining operations but more like automated deep sea mining or oil derricks than real towns.

The setting of the Expanse is more interesting than Space Antarctica so that's where you suspend your disbelief. Getting in a rocket ship and flying around to different places with different cultures is fun but they did try to make the economics plausible and more or less stick to the physics. It's pretty good.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I think you guys are overestimating Bobbie's squad. They don't seem like they're an actual special forces unit, they're just arrogant grunts. Did I miss something or did the books establish them as being something different?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

bitprophet posted:

For reasons yet (AFAIK) unexplained, somewhere between SyFy and the VOD hosts, someone made the baffling decision / boneheaded mistake of handing over the rebroadcast cut instead of the regular cut. Thus the missing scene, lack of opening credits, and censored profanity.
Errrr, what's a rebroadcast cut? So eventually, on a second on-air broadcast, the castrated version would have run?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

MizPiz posted:

I think you guys are overestimating Bobbie's squad. They don't seem like they're an actual special forces unit, they're just arrogant grunts. Did I miss something or did the books establish them as being something different?

I don't think the show has spelled it out very effectively, but yes, they're better trained and better equipped than the average marine.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

MizPiz posted:

Books spoilers: People are really reading too much into Bobbie's squad. They all die in the next couple of episodes. Bobbie's story is dealing with her PTSD and learning how to deal with her life after she leaves the Martian Marine Corps.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Bates posted:

The setting of the Expanse is more interesting than Space Antarctica so that's where you suspend your disbelief.

Oh yeah, no worries, I am enjoying it and suspending the hell out of my disbelief.

Accretionist posted:

This is the kind of characterization that would have been great, rather than just the bickering between them. If we saw more jovial bantering, and one of them scratching cartoons on a wall in the head (toilet) it would have been great. Take some queues from the colonial marines scene in Aliens. Tweak it however you want, but in the space of fifteen minutes those early scenes in Aliens established several characters and made them quite like able.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

gfarrell80 posted:

Oh yeah, no worries, I am enjoying it and suspending the hell out of my disbelief.

Yeah, this is really just what you need to do with any kind of scifi. The truth is that it just doesn't take a lot of "magic" technology to have a Star Trek-like post-scarcity, absolute prosperity for all society. Readily available fusion power alone gets you like 99% of the way there, just because cheap and abundant energy solves a huge number of problems.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Combat Pretzel posted:

Errrr, what's a rebroadcast cut? So eventually, on a second on-air broadcast, the castrated version would have run?

I took it to mean the cuts that go to network TV for reruns (or I guess even the same original broadcaster just at different times). Different scheduling, more commercial breaks (so cut scenes, shorter/no opening credits), if actually another network then different policies (so no naughty bits or words) etc. (I guess even the same network might have differing rules for differing parts of the day, actually?)

To be honest I haven't watched "actual" TV in so long, the entire concept seems archaic at this point. Which is also why so many of us cord-cutters were dismayed initially. Was pretty glad to see the authors reaching out on Reddit/Twitter/etc to clear things up.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Finally got around to watching this week's episode, and drat I love this show. :allears:

Didn't mind the Martian stuff since it took about five minutes of the episode, and the rest of the show is killing it. Amos in particular has gone from a character that never registered much with me in the books to one of my favorites. The club/battle sim sequence in this episode was a lot of fun too, and all the development of the Belter stuff in general.

My big complaint is that we never see the full opening credits outside of premieres and finales. :(

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
The TV IV › The Expanse, Season 2: I killed him because he was making sense.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, this is really just what you need to do with any kind of scifi. The truth is that it just doesn't take a lot of "magic" technology to have a Star Trek-like post-scarcity, absolute prosperity for all society. Readily available fusion power alone gets you like 99% of the way there, just because cheap and abundant energy solves a huge number of problems.

heck, you don't even need to go into space. you can easily guarantee food and shelter and preventative medicine and contraception for the entire world's population, but due to a myriad of political issues (such as desires to attack outgroups), it is not politically feasible

you see the same thing, earth/mars has been deliberately starving the belt of resources out of a short-sighted fear of another rival political entity forming in the orbital high ground, and so they sow the seeds of their own doom. it is another irrationality of the human condition

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

MizPiz posted:

Well I mean they have some super fancy power armor that is literally a walking compact weapons platform on it's own, when in the previous season the guys entrusted with preventing a war by the captain of the Donnager basically just had a bit of armor on some void suits.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
its almost like between books 1 and 2, the authors realized that a boarding party would find it useful to have a soldier loaded with armor that can shrug off small arms fire and is contains a full sensor package

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Justin Credible posted:

Well I mean they have some super fancy power armor that is literally a walking compact weapons platform on it's own, when in the previous season the guys entrusted with preventing a war by the captain of the Donnager basically just had a bit of armor on some void suits.

I just figured that either the power armor was some new tech that hasn't been fully distributed or that it was made specifically for a war between Mars and Earth and was too burdensome to field when their biggest concerns were pirates raiding their poo poo.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Someone comments she should upgrade her gear to the latest stuff and she tells them she likes the old lovely stuff she wears.

Phobophilia posted:

its almost like between books 1 and 2, the authors realized that a boarding party would find it useful to have a soldier loaded with armor that can shrug off small arms fire and is contains a full sensor package

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Justin Credible posted:

Only thing I was kinda reading in to it was that Bobbie's squad seemed to be also intended for ground operations, so their equipment would be different. The guys on the Donnager were maybe just the standard complement of ship board marines for ship-to-ship boarding and security only. The Donnager didn't appear to know what it was getting in to, they were just flying by to check something out. Bobbie's squad seems more like a special detachment/troop carrier situation, temporarily assigned to the ship they were on for a specific task. Hence the captain feeling like he was babysitting a bunch of knuckleheads.

• Locked thread