Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sarcophallus posted:

It is the routine though. It's exactly what Saitama did. He's not being funny in recounting it.

The joke is at Saitama's expense. He's not the only hero who works out, and it's a safe guess that Silver Fang and Pripri (just to name a couple other heroes who rely on their strength) both have more strenuous regiments.

Even Mumen Rider probably works out plenty. You don't pedal as often as he does without building some calves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Sarcophallus posted:

It is the routine though. It's exactly what Saitama did. He's not being funny in recounting it.
Correlation does not imply causation. Come on, goons, you're better than this.

Also, a valid point:

Shugojin posted:

That was the joke but at this point it sort of cheapens him if he gets to get stronger.
Mumen Rider is perfect the way he is.

Aaah, here we go.

Schwarzwald posted:

The joke is at Saitama's expense. He's not the only hero who works out, and it's a safe guess that Silver Fang and Pripri (just to name a couple other heroes who rely on their strength) both have more strenuous regiments.

Even Mumen Rider probably works out plenty. You don't pedal as often as he does without building some calves.

Oh my god, his calves must be glorious.
:swoon:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If he flexes too hard his socks rip.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Correlation does not imply causation. Come on, goons, you're better than this.

There's literally nothing in the story that suggests anything else, and I'd bet there never will be. The character has told you exactly where his power comes from and you're like, "Naw dude, you got some special genes or somethin'."

If this were like Hunter X Hunter or something that took itself more seriously, yeah I'd probably agree with you. But there's no reason to disbelieve that in this universe, following his instructions won't lead to you losing all of your hair and growing strong.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Sure.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sarcophallus posted:

There's literally nothing in the story that suggests anything else, and I'd bet there never will be. The character has told you exactly where his power comes from and you're like, "Naw dude, you got some special genes or somethin'."

What suggests that Saitama is mistaken is that roughly half of all characters in the comic are actively trying to make themselves stronger (the other half being content to exploit the power they already have) yet none of them even approach Saitama's level. This isn't because Saitama is the one character in the world who's tried honest exercise. It isn't because he has special genes either. It isn't for any reason at all. Saitama simply is powerful.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

For real though Mumen Rider busts rear end a whole bunch, lack of exercise isn't his problem

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Xarbala posted:

For real though Mumen Rider busts rear end a whole bunch, lack of exercise isn't his problem

Mumen Rider probably has an air conditioner.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
You guys know this is all already answered in the ONE version & I know at least one of you has read it so what's going on here exactly.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Are people who secretly read the ONE version making "predictions" again? That's lame

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Mystic Mongol posted:

Thing is, Common Rider's very useful to the hero association right where he is now.

A hero can only go up in letter grade (apparently) by being top of his class. Right now, the semi-permanent C-1 hero is Common Rider, which means if you want to be promoted to B rank, you have to surpass him.

No one, absolutely no one is more heroic or has more justice in their heart that Common Rider. This means you can't make it to the B class by trying hard or being a swell guy, you have to have genuine strength. Not just a little--enough to make up for the degree by which you fall short of the heroic ideal. Because Common Rider's squatting at the top of C class, everyone in B class can theoretically be trusted to fight monsters and outperform the police.

Very good explanation. So Mumen Rider acts as a "gatekeeper" of sorts, similar to Fubuki or Sweet Mask, like you mentioned.

The only reason I want him to become stronger is because I'd hate for him to be tragically killed off by some random monster encounter. And that seems likely to happen, because he's selfless, and would be the first person to sacrifice himself. Also, the strength of the monsters seems to be increasing over time, while he's still just a dude on a bicycle doing his best.

It doesn't have to be Saitama who trains him, just somebody genuinely strong who recognizes his insane work ethic and deep sense of heroism. Alternately, they could just give Mumen Rider plot armor, since he's a fan favorite.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Work Friend Keven posted:

You guys know this is all already answered in the ONE version & I know at least one of you has read it so what's going on here exactly.

No I don't know, and would appreciate no one telling me.

That's why I'm here and not in the ONE thread.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Why are people so insisting in trying to turn a hilarious comedy into yet another boring shonen fighting manga?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

e X posted:

Why are people so insisting in trying to turn a hilarious comedy into yet another boring shonen fighting manga?

I just think that if Common Rider could lift a bus he could do even more good for the world. Dude gets the poo poo beat out of him regularly and he's not even superpowered. Imagining what he could do if he was stronger makes me smile.

Just think of it, he could fight 4 monsters in the same day before becoming so injured that he has to go to the hospital again!

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

e X posted:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Schwarzwald posted:

What suggests that Saitama is mistaken is that roughly half of all characters in the comic are actively trying to make themselves stronger (the other half being content to exploit the power they already have) yet none of them even approach Saitama's level. This isn't because Saitama is the one character in the world who's tried honest exercise. It isn't because he has special genes either. It isn't for any reason at all. Saitama simply is powerful.

We don't know that they did what he did, though.

I bet Silver Fang uses AC in the summer and Pri-Pri-Prisoner takes weekends off from running.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The :airquote:joke:airquote: is that beating monsters isn't what makes you a hero, so Common Rider doesn't actually need to get any stronger

jfc

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I wish Saitama would come and punch this conversation

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jedah posted:

Alternately, they could just give Mumen Rider plot armor, since he's a fan favorite.

In his first appearance, he's ground into the pavement by a gang of thugs in Shotaro Ishinomori-styled iron man armor.

Begemot posted:

We don't know that they did what he did, though.

I bet Silver Fang uses AC in the summer and Pri-Pri-Prisoner takes weekends off from running.

This makes Saitama's training regiment sounds less like exercise and more like a cheat code he stumbled into. Like if you do these exact reps and run this exact distance X days in a row (while holding select on the player 2 controller) you'll get god mode.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I wish Saitama would come and punch this conversation

:same:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

When things go sour, remember that King's arc is being animated this year.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

i'm one punch man

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

When things go sour, remember that Fubuki's arc is being animated this year.

They're both really good

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I just hope Metal Bat vs Garou is animated tbh.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
With the extra stuff Murata put in I have no idea where the anime will cutoff and it's a good feeling

E: I don't think this season will end as cleanly as Boros did though

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EmmyOk posted:

Are people who secretly read the ONE version making "predictions" again? That's lame

Work Friend Keven posted:

This is not true I read the one version but there has not been anymore of an answer there then here.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

This makes Saitama's training regiment sounds less like exercise and more like a cheat code he stumbled into. Like if you do these exact reps and run this exact distance X days in a row (while holding select on the player 2 controller) you'll get god mode.
I swear I remember a side story about some guy who left Fubuki's crew and started following Saitama's exercise regimen and his hair was starting to fall out at the end.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zereth posted:

I swear I remember a side story about some guy who left Fubuki's crew and started following Saitama's exercise regimen and his hair was starting to fall out at the end.

Demon Fan guy. I mean a demonic rotating fan not someone who likes demons.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TheKingofSprings posted:

They're both really good

But is King BESTO GARL?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

But is King BESTO GARL?

Yes.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

OOOH YEH!

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
With this series logic, and just how much fun it would be, I don't think Mumen Rider should ever get super-strength or the like. If he was to get powers it would be better if constantly rushing to the scene on his bike eventually gave him super-speed, exclusively when he's on the bike, or some sort of "Justice Shield" where the more people he was defending the more damage he could take.

Ok, now I really want to see him do a "Justice Crash" at a significant fraction of the speed of light.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

With this series logic, and just how much fun it would be, I don't think Mumen Rider should ever get super-strength or the like. If he was to get powers it would be better if constantly rushing to the scene on his bike eventually gave him super-speed, exclusively when he's on the bike, or some sort of "Justice Shield" where the more people he was defending the more damage he could take.

Ok, now I really want to see him do a "Justice Crash" at a significant fraction of the speed of light.

What if his super power is that he is actually immortal, but otherwise no different from the average human physically.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Indiana_Krom posted:

What if his super power is that he is actually immortal, but otherwise no different from the average human physically.

I thought that was Zombieman.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
he should be called Common Rider in the english version. they should recall everything and rename him to Common Rider

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It would be cool if one of his friends gave him an extremely high-tech, but still street-legal, bicycle.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how do you make a pedal bicycle so good it's not street-legal, this is now a life goal for me

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I used the wrong term, I meant the best possible bicycle that he still wouldn't need a license to operate.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bongo Bill posted:

I used the wrong term, I meant the best possible bicycle that he still wouldn't need a license to operate.

Just don't put a motor on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mystic Mongol posted:

Thing is, Common Rider's very useful to the hero association right where he is now.

A hero can only go up in letter grade (apparently) by being top of his class. Right now, the semi-permanent C-1 hero is Common Rider, which means if you want to be promoted to B rank, you have to surpass him.

No one, absolutely no one is more heroic or has more justice in their heart that Common Rider. This means you can't make it to the B class by trying hard or being a swell guy, you have to have genuine strength. Not just a little--enough to make up for the degree by which you fall short of the heroic ideal. Because Common Rider's squatting at the top of C class, everyone in B class can theoretically be trusted to fight monsters and outperform the police.

The other top rank holders are similar... there are only two ways to get promoted past the Blizzard group. You can prove that you can suppress your pride and work as part of a larger heroic organization to get the blizzard group's support and be let past, or you can be comically stronger that Fubuki, which is... rare. So everyone in A class either can work as part of a heroic team in a large organization without making waves, or is so strong they don't need to. And you can't be promoted to S class because Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask has opinions. Opinions about heroism.

The class system breaks down super hard if it weren't for these three heroes squatting at their respective power levels, helping the Hero Organization sort out the talent from the ambitious weirdos in a costume their mom made.

Yeah, now that you mention it, the people at the top of each rank get to choose to advance if they want, right? So basically if there weren't the squatters, someone at the top of a rank could just choose to be moved up, then the next person could do the same, etc. That's kind of a dumb system. I mean, it's working, but only because very particular circumstances.

Then again the rankings themselves are kind of dumb and are there to make heroes compete, which seems like a good way to create, well, the hostility that currently exists between heroes and such.

Basically the Hero Association sucks and seems to mostly work because of the heroes in it rather than the organization's own merits.