Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I think the biggest problems with closed primaries were states like New York which have traditionally had their registration date for the election too far out. I think they are mostly okay as long as you can register close to the election. Caucuses are way worse than closed primaries though when it comes to being anti-democratic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Gorelab posted:

I think the biggest problems with closed primaries were states like New York which have traditionally had their registration date for the election too far out. I think they are mostly okay as long as you can register close to the election. Caucuses are way worse than closed primaries though when it comes to being anti-democratic.

Yeah, and the problem with like NY is that's all well out of the DNC's control, but tbh the NY State Dem Party is hilariously awful.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yeah, and the problem with like NY is that's all well out of the DNC's control, but tbh the NY State Dem Party is hilariously awful.

Serious question, what state parties don't suck for the Democrats? If I get into my state's party, who am I looking at for "state party that is cool and good?"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Lightning Knight posted:

Serious question, what state parties don't suck for the Democrats? If I get into my state's party, who am I looking at for "state party that is cool and good?"

I mean it depends on what you mean by suck. The NY State Party is pretty good at getting Democrats elected. It's odious when it comes to be free, open and not relatively corrupt and machine like. Compare that to say, Florida, where the state party is just loving terrible at everything.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lightning Knight posted:

I'd assume the CA one is in pretty good shape, but then again I just pretend that Jerry Brown is the God-King of the CA democratic party at this point

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I mean it depends on what you mean by suck. The NY State Party is pretty good at getting Democrats elected. It's odious when it comes to be free, open and not relatively corrupt and machine like. Compare that to say, Florida, where the state party is just loving terrible at everything.

Is "getting people consistently elected but also being corrupt and lovely and your candidates suck" and "not routinely getting people elected but being not corrupt and having good candidates" mutually exclusive? :smith:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lightning Knight posted:

Is "getting people consistently elected but also being corrupt and lovely and your candidates suck" and "not routinely getting people elected but being not corrupt and having good candidates" mutually exclusive? :smith:

Yeah, I'm sure we have some states that fit into the "not routinely getting people elected but also being corrupt and lovely and your candidates suck" section of that bit

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

How important is winning to you.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, I'm sure we have some states that fit into the "not routinely getting people elected but also being corrupt and lovely and your candidates suck" section of that bit

Not everyone can be Florida. Florida is special.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

gently caress. :suicide:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Why do you think Perez has the key to "winning" more than Ellison does?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Why do you think Perez has the key to "winning" more than Ellison does?

I don't at all. I was talking about the NY State Party being really corrupt, but able to produce Dems who reliably vote Dem in House and Senate.

Again, I signed Bern Bern Revolution's petition for Ellision and would vote for him if I were a voting member of the DNC.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Has this been posted yet?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
At least 5 times, yes.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Aurubin posted:

Why would Biden's endorsement be a big tipping point? The man isn't in office anymore and always had O'Malley numbers when he ran for president. Most of the DNC members are sitting politicians or party chairs, wouldn't they be the ones most likely to know how badly the Obama years hosed them? Or is that indicative of the institutional rot?

Biden is now popular, both inside the party and outside of it. Being vice president took him from gaffe-prone also-ran to legitimate presidential contender. It wasn't just Clinton that cleared the deck for Presidential candidates in 2015. Everyone was getting out of the way of both Clinton and Biden, until Biden removed himself from the running because of Beau's death (and because most likely because his health isn't that great).

However you feel about Obama as a president, there is a distinct Obama wing of the party, and Biden's endorsement of Perez was clearly seen as a signal of support from it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I think the biggest issue right now is just building a bench for the Dems. Take a look at how much State House and State Senate members make. It's pathetic. A VA House of Delegates member makes less than $25k a year. When you're not the party of big business and can't rely on tons of "gifts" from big business that let you get the operating cash you need, how is the next Obama going to get started? A friend of mine has considered running for local office out here but he can't do it because even if he won the salary would leave him destitute, much less the personal expense he'd incur by running.

The Dems need a shitload of money and they need it now so that they can start building a bench at the state level.

The good news is that this isn't that hard to fund. You'd only need a few million to fund a candidate for every open seat in the VA House and VA Senate this year. If the Dems could build a $200m warchest and apply it to only state-level races they'd be in great shape by 2018.

If Ellison as DNC chair brings in the Bernie folks and motivates them to donate, I say go hog wild. If Perez can bring union $$$ to accomplish the same thing, then bully for him. If one of them (or someone else) can do both then that person should win.

Building a bench so the party doesn't do crazy poo poo like not running candidates in Congressional Districts that Hillary won should be the goal.

That's also why I really like this organization and I hope they do well: https://www.runforsomething.net/. The party has to start courting Millennials not just as a voting or donor bloc but as an actual candidate bloc.

edit: it would also be nice if Democratic organizations would stop sending me 5+ fundraising emails a day. I'm not giving you money every single time Trump does something stupid, I'm not that rich.

axeil fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 10, 2017

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

axeil posted:

I think the biggest issue right now is just building a bench for the Dems. Take a look at how much State House and State Senate members make. It's pathetic. A VA House of Delegates member makes less than $25k a year. When you're not the party of big business and can't rely on tons of "gifts" from big business that let you get the operating cash you need, how is the next Obama going to get started? A friend of mine has considered running for local office out here but he can't do it because even if he won the salary would leave him destitute, much less the personal expense he'd incur by running.

The Dems need a shitload of money and they need it now so that they can start building a bench at the state level.

The good news is that this isn't that hard to fund. You'd only need a few million to fund a candidate for every open seat in the VA House and VA Senate this year. If the Dems could build a $200m warchest and apply it to only state-level races they'd be in great shape by 2018.

If Ellison as DNC chair brings in the Bernie folks and motivates them to donate, I say go hog wild. If Perez can bring union $$$ to accomplish the same thing, then bully for him. Building a bench so the party doesn't do crazy poo poo like not running candidates in Congressional Districts that Hillary won should be the goal.

VA House of Delegates is 60 days.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

VA House of Delegates is 60 days.

Right, but presumably you'd still need some income for the other 305 days a year. Plus, that still doesn't account for how much it costs to run a campaign, even a small local one and the opportunity cost of switching your career from "whatever you're doing now" to "politician". When your campaign manager is your mom, you're not going to do as well as if your campaign manager is someone with at least some level of experience (but who requires money so they don't starve).

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

axeil posted:

Right, but presumably you'd still need some income for the other 305 days a year. Plus, that still doesn't account for how much it costs to run a campaign, even a small local one and the opportunity cost of switching your career from "whatever you're doing now" to "politician"

virtually everyone who serves in a part-time legislature has another job. for years my delegate in WV worked for the rail roads.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

virtually everyone who serves in a part-time legislature has another job. for years my delegate in WV worked for the rail roads.

I'm curious if that fact isn't well-known and might be suppressing interested candidates. I mean, my friend would probably have to quit his job if he ran because he's a federal employee and I am pretty sure being an elected Delegate is an issue if you're also an employee of the Executive branch.

But even 60 days a year you can't do your job is an issue. I imagine there are lots of people where if they told their employer "hey I need to take the next 2 months off" they'd be shown the door.

Maybe the party should push for full-time state legislatures to allow younger folks to run?

Lightning Knight posted:

Virginia's seems pretty good. They have found candidates for every single State House/State Senate district that Hillary won that is currently held by the Republicans and managed to hold off the 2014 slaughter. Not taking down Comstock hurts but I'm pretty sure she's going to get crushed in '18.

axeil fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 10, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

axeil posted:

Right, but presumably you'd still need some income for the other 305 days a year. Plus, that still doesn't account for how much it costs to run a campaign, even a small local one and the opportunity cost of switching your career from "whatever you're doing now" to "politician". When your campaign manager is your mom, you're not going to do as well as if your campaign manager is someone with at least some level of experience (but who requires money so they don't starve).

"Bob can't be in the office for 60 days out of the year, I guess we should fire him since that's better than having direct access to the state government. They definitely wouldn't be able to retaliate against us in any way either."

Maybe some companies are staffed/owned by people stupid enough to do so but the vast majority aren't.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

"Bob can't be in the office for 60 days out of the year, I guess we should fire him since that's better than having direct access to the state government. They definitely wouldn't be able to retaliate against us in any way either."

Maybe some companies are staffed/owned by people stupid enough to do so but the vast majority aren't.

I mean, yes, it'd be valuable to have that access but then at the same time that is borderline corruption. You don't think a company would lean on someone to vote "the right way" or risk being found to be "not a team player"?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Again, I think Ellison is a much more telegenic person who I think is better suited to be the de facto face of the party for two years until we hit 2020 primary bullshit. He's obviously a more natural communicator.

I do think Perez's involvement with labor and knowing how to work things "behind the curtain" are important skills and I would hope if he does not become the DNC chair that get him to run for some kind of office.

MD Gov: Perez

DNC Chair: Buttigieg

2020 Nominee: Ellison

tbqh

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
I love it, a few months ago I literally got probated for saying that the DNC rigged it against Bernie and today Perez says the same thing. Glad to see the worthless mod who probated me was eliminated in the recent purges.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

NathanScottPhillips posted:

I love it, a few months ago I literally got probated for saying that the DNC rigged it against Bernie and today Perez says the same thing. Glad to see the worthless mod who probated me was eliminated in the recent purges.

:yikes:

Just came in to see what was going on with Buttgieg.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

stone cold posted:

:yikes:

Just came in to see what was going on with Buttgieg.

He went on Morning Joe yesterday.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

MD Gov: Perez

DNC Chair: Buttigieg

2020 Nominee: Ellison

tbqh

I like this a lot, but only if Warren doesn't run in 2020.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cease to Hope posted:

Biden is now popular, both inside the party and outside of it. Being vice president took him from gaffe-prone also-ran to legitimate presidential contender. It wasn't just Clinton that cleared the deck for Presidential candidates in 2015. Everyone was getting out of the way of both Clinton and Biden, until Biden removed himself from the running because of Beau's death (and because most likely because his health isn't that great).

However you feel about Obama as a president, there is a distinct Obama wing of the party, and Biden's endorsement of Perez was clearly seen as a signal of support from it.
Really, they were all quite smart to leave the deck, considering the price Biden paid for not doing so immediately.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I like this a lot, but only if Warren doesn't run in 2020.

Gonna have to be ageist here

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Really, they were all quite smart to leave the deck, considering the price Biden paid for not doing so immediately.

What are you suggesting here

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Well, it wasn't. So the mod was right. That was a rumor that Wikileaks helped to legitimize by cherry picking a bunch of emails, as it later came out.

Also even if the electoral vote was rigged Hillary still won the popular vote in the primary. And if you try to discount that then all of a sudden Donald loving Trump of all people gains legitimacy, so i'd advise to be careful what you wish for.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

What are you suggesting here
You know what I'm suggesting.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

wow holy gently caress I didn't even realize she was 67. She looks easily 10 years younger.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

She'll still be younger in 2020 than Bernie was in 2016.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zerilan posted:

She'll still be younger in 2020 than Bernie was in 2016.

Won't she be younger than Trump is now?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You know what I'm suggesting.

Youre suggesting Hillary had Beau Biden killed?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Youre suggesting Hillary had Beau Biden killed?

With brain cancer! :tinfoil:

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
vince foster was only a test run !!!!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

It's typical for serial killers to perfect their methods over their career. Clinton probably had a lot of messy attempts back in the day, had evolved into a more skilled killer by the time she convinced Vince Foster to kill himself, and has now perfected her craft to the point where she is not even suspected by a suspicious public, even when she has the most obvious of motives.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's typical for serial killers to perfect their methods over their career. Clinton probably had a lot of messy attempts back in the day, had evolved into a more skilled killer by the time she convinced Vince Foster to kill himself, and has now perfected her craft to the point where she is not even suspected by a suspicious public, even when she has the most obvious of motives.

failure to mention the foul assassin Benjamin Ghazi

0/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, never thought I'd see the day when we'd have the Hillary assassination theories coming from within our threads.

• Locked thread