Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The first ship you get has something like a 50-character limit so long as you never change it again, hence the IKS All Bronies are subhuman filth and must be purged

This reminds me of how someone broke the database by exceeding the character limit on a player name. Every time Dark Admiral Jean-luc Hyperriker the third, esq. spoke in chat, the database would corrupt and require a server restart.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
Ohhhhh ok. So secondary question, as a federation romulan is there any way for my ship to be ncc-69420 or is that just for purestrain federation?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Wouldn't mind seeing ships with odd configs like a Pilot Scimitar. Even if just in enemy hands. At the very least it would allow them to sell the same ships multiple times without having to make 'new' assets. I don't even care right now because I'm where I want to be, and somehow my Jupiter can do a full barrel-roll/Ailerion roll when in combat.

But if they wanted to really raise the difficulty and 'force' people to upgrade, they'd give every ship Tactical Team, Emergency Power to Shields/Weapons, and AuxToStructual. Let the player base contend with that for a week or two. I still vaguely remember the mess when they introduced a ship that could actually heal.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 9, 2017

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

hakimashou posted:

Didnt lootcritter try to hide his in-game name for ages until nabreeki told everyone who he was lol.

It's because he posted that stupid loving story of Dental ruining his immersion when he first started playing on both his lootcritter account and his normal main. He entered the great Hall or whatever on Qonos for the FIRST time, it was HIS MOMENT, and a Dental popped a disco ball and spoiled it. He has never gotten over that.

When we first broke his anonymity, he claimed he was just Loot's graphics guy and kept that story up for a few months before caving in.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Cryptozoology posted:

So I've got a federation aligned romulan, and I go to rename my ship to the USS Grabthar's Hammer (the name for p much all my ships) and the game starts giving me guff about my name being too long and not starting with NCC-

What's the deal here, cause that name was never too long with the romulan or Klingon prefixes, and my rename dialogue box has no field for putting in a registry number??

Maybe shorten it to USS Grab Ham?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Bloodly posted:

Wouldn't mind seeing ships with odd configs like a Pilot Scimitar. Even if just in enemy hands. At the very least it would allow them to sell the same ships multiple times without having to make 'new' assets. I don't even care right now because I'm where I want to be, and somehow my Jupiter can do a full barrel-roll/Ailerion roll when in combat.

But if they wanted to really raise the difficulty and 'force' people to upgrade, they'd give every ship Tactical Team, Emergency Power to Shields/Weapons, and AuxToStructual. Let the player base contend with that for a week or two.

Barrel rolling a Vonph is never not funny.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
So, what new exploit caused them to issue an emergency patch tonight? Did someone figure out how to dupe zen or something?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
IN reddit chat they were talking about the new CM "ambassadorkael/mike/nabreeki" and how he works for cryptic, not PWE.

AotC
May 16, 2010

hakimashou posted:

IN reddit chat they were talking about the new CM "ambassadorkael/mike/nabreeki" and how he works for cryptic, not PWE.

You should show off some of the sweet dev hacks we've gotten from our inside man in the cm team. I think they would like a video of some non dev ships strafing and what not.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

hakimashou posted:

Redditchat has always been a one-stop-shop for all your accurate STO information.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Coq au Nandos posted:

Barrel rolling a Vonph Bulwark is never not funny.

:riker:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So which level 40 ship should my tactical klingon (gorn) captain pick? He's gotten his last 15 or so levels from duty officers and the event, so I really don't know anything about the ships he has to choose from, especially the carrier (never used one).

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So which level 40 ship should my tactical klingon (gorn) captain pick? He's gotten his last 15 or so levels from duty officers and the event, so I really don't know anything about the ships he has to choose from, especially the carrier (never used one).

Vo'quv. Fill it with kelvin beam emitters and go full Battlestar.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Grab the Vo'quv it will have the most useful admiralty card once you get to level 52. If you get sick of it post your @handle and I'll mail you a mirror Qin.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If you're a NOPPS mod and you boot someone put a record of it in here

https://wiki.wesleyguide.com/noppsbans

So that they cant weasel back in.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Coq au Nandos posted:

Vo'quv. Fill it with kelvin beam emitters and go full Battlestar.

Lagomorphic posted:

Grab the Vo'quv it will have the most useful admiralty card once you get to level 52. If you get sick of it post your @handle and I'll mail you a mirror Qin.

Thanks I grabbed the Vo'quv. I mostly just use my KDF character for duty officers, but a carrier sounds kind of fun so I'll give it a try.

I registered as dirtyape for the wiki.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

hakimashou posted:

Thanks I've been thinking of doing something like this for a while but :effort:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hakimashou posted:

Don't worry I've never unbanned anyone and I'm not breaking a good habit.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

hakimashou posted:

Isn't listing their IP address a bit overkill?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fakemirage posted:

Isn't listing their IP address a bit overkill?

I was thinking the hardware ID of their PCs was probably unnecessary myself.

Nita
Apr 27, 2008
IP addresses can be changed easily but hardware IDs can't be changed easily. They'd have to get a new motherboard and everything to change that. It's why Windows 10 uses it for activation and why we use it to track people.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
PSA for something I discovered last night while upgrading things. Something caused a number of my Mark 12 reputation ground shield, armor and gun items to have a free 47125 upgrade points on them. With the upgrade event going this means a single Improved upgrader will push it over to Mark 13. So I guess this is a cheap way to maybe get some ground stuff upgraded a little.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What's new and worth upgrading since the last event?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Tunicate posted:

What's new and worth upgrading since the last event?

Pulse phasers, maybe the lobi WoK phaser pistol?

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
STO meme thread!

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1228258/the-sto-meme-thread

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
poo poo, someone find those Branflakes/Iraqi Information Minister memes from a few years ago, imgur ate mine.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Been playing this game for years, but i finally registered on the wiki as Zutaten to see what I've been doing wrong this whole time. Besides playing this game for years.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Preechr posted:

poo poo, someone find those Branflakes/Iraqi Information Minister memes from a few years ago, imgur ate mine.

It only takes a couple minutes to knock a fresh one together. The source image is still pretty easy to find.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Preechr posted:

Exploitable original.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Zutaten posted:

Been playing this game for years, but i finally registered on the wiki as Zutaten to see what I've been doing wrong this whole time. Besides playing this game for years.

You're in, K-dog.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure if the memes screaming about the dev using pilot stuff in a scimitar are ironic or not.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So what's cool and good in the new reps besides the terran disruptors and iconian 4-piece?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tunicate posted:

So what's cool and good in the new reps besides the terran disruptors and iconian 4-piece?

The Temporal deflector dish makes your ship blast rainbows out the front

It's like this, there's still no reason to USE anything besides the Iconian 4-piece but at least you have appearance slots now to make your ship look cool

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Tunicate posted:

The Lukari rep features TRON shields and a wrist gun for ground.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Finally.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Tunicate posted:

I personally like the dual pistols from the temporal rep ground set because they're beautiful rainbow guns.

edit: only 89 cents? They must be crazy, practically giving it away!

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Gnome de plume posted:

I personally like the dual pistols from the temporal rep ground set because they're beautiful rainbow guns.

edit: only 89 cents? They must be crazy, practically giving it away!

I dunno, they'd have to pay me more than 89 cents to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Could I get wiki access for dirtyape? I'm clueless on how to make a good build.

• Locked thread