Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Chichevache posted:

"Sportsball", he lisped.

I'm surprised he isn't a Pats fan, what with "Heil Hitler" being a part of his name.

History thread

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Well into the 20th century butter was accepted currency in Norway. In 1617 you could actually pay your taxes with butter.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Well into the 20th century butter was accepted currency in Norway. In 1617 you could actually pay your taxes with butter.

Stuffing an envelope full of butter and mailing it to the IRS as we speak!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BRB, organizing delivery of a pallet of Cheetos® to the White House.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Alhazred posted:

They paid taxes with barrels of cod in my hometown at least until 1661, maybe later even.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Powaqoatse posted:

They paid taxes with barrels of cod in my hometown at least until 1661, maybe later even.

Could you fill the barrels with more water than fish to cheat on your taxes?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

If you think "can you cheat on your taxes doing X?" then at least one person has tried it.

It's probably at least partly apocryphal but that's part of how brandy came into being. At the time taxes on wine were levied by volume in a lot of places so when distillation was invented people figured "well hey if we just distill it then add water later we'll have less taxes on wine!" Well it didn't quite work out that way but people liked the non-watered down stuff anyway so it stuck. It also kept way longer than wine which made it easier to trade and transport.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I remember that episode of Good Eats!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm sure some people tried, but the punishments were pretty severe so they only tried once. :shrug:

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Solice Kirsk posted:

I would imagine it was dried cod.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Freudian slippers posted:

I would imagine it was dried cod.

Not if they poured water on it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not if they poured water on it.

That would be pretty lovely salt cod. I guess you could add more salt then fish though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This tax cheat is sounding like more trouble than its worth. Why would they even do this?!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

This tax cheat is sounding like more trouble than its worth. Why would they even do this?!

Cod is expensive.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
The Romans believed that eagles and sea-calves were never struck by lightning so they would bury the corpses of these animals in buildings in the hope that it would prevent them from being struck by lightning.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

The Romans believed that eagles and sea-calves were never struck by lightning so they would bury the corpses of these animals in buildings in the hope that it would prevent them from being struck by lightning.

Bet it worked more times than not.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm imagining Doc and Marty trying to go forward in time from a Roman city but they can't find the buried eagle that protects the building they're using.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Morty! Morty, you gotta :beeellch: strangle that manatee, Morty. You gotta kill it real good. We're not getting through that lightning nebula without it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

For two hundred years, Spanish galleons plied the seas between Acapulco and Manila.

Westbound ships passed south of Hawai‘i. Eastbound shipped passed north of it.

Generations of Spanish mariners spent their lives circling Hawai‘i and died in ignorance of it.

Europe wouldn’t learn of the archipelago till James Cook’s third voyage in 1778.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

Morty! Morty, you gotta :beeellch: strangle that manatee, Morty. You gotta kill it real good. We're not getting through that lightning nebula without it.

Oh jeez, Rick. I dunno that I can stab this thing with this pugio! It's at least a few hundred years outdated from the gladius

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In the 15th century the inca army consisted of 200 000 soldiers, in comparison the french army consisted of 30 000 soldiers.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Are potatoes just that good at producing a food surplus or is there another explanation here? Not a standing army or a legitimately fuckhuge empire or what?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
France and the Incan Empire had similar populations in 1500 (with France the larger of the two), so that’s probably not it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

VanSandman posted:

Are potatoes just that good at producing a food surplus or is there another explanation here? Not a standing army or a legitimately fuckhuge empire or what?

not a standing army, basically villagers with pointy sticks

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
So soldiers in the ancient athens sense, not in the ancient spartan sense?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Platystemon posted:

BRB, organizing delivery of a pallet of Cheetos® to the White House.

Only GW Bush accepted cheetos. We've moved onto the Big Mac standard now.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

VanSandman posted:

Potatoes generally have a higher yield per square meter, are more resistant to the weather and are generally just easier to manage than corn.

Also, you can essentially live of only potatoes and water, without anything else, not a nice way to live, but you'll survive, just.

Potatoes are awesome.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

umalt posted:

yes, and i think about as well armed

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

umalt posted:

standing armies weren't, by and large, a thing in the middle ages. you had a comparatively small warrior class of knights, but whenever you'd go off to punch the Welsh or whatever you'd need to raise the fyrd or the levies; i.e. you'd conscript thousands of men from the shires. this made long-term campaigns a bitch because it further shrank the campaigning season, as those guys would need to get home to reap the barley or whatever and if your war started cutting into harvest season the odds were good a lot of them would just gently caress off in the middle of the night

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RagnarokZ posted:

Potatoes generally have a higher yield per square meter, are more resistant to the weather and are generally just easier to manage than corn.

Also, you can essentially live of only potatoes and water, without anything else, not a nice way to live, but you'll survive, just.

Potatoes are awesome.

One problem: corn is also a New World crop.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

chernobyl kinsman posted:

standing armies weren't, by and large, a thing in the middle ages. you had a comparatively small warrior class of knights, but whenever you'd go off to punch the Welsh or whatever you'd need to raise the fyrd or the levies; i.e. you'd conscript thousands of men from the shires. this made long-term campaigns a bitch because it further shrank the campaigning season, as those guys would need to get home to reap the barley or whatever and if your war started cutting into harvest season the odds were good a lot of them would just gently caress off in the middle of the night

medieval conscripts are a myth

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

One problem: corn is also a New World crop.

no, maize is

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hogge Wild posted:

no, maize is

You got me.

Stupid cereals.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Hogge Wild posted:

Please enlighten us.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Hogge Wild posted:

Medieval Rulers Did Nothing Wrong

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RagnarokZ posted:

Potatoes are awesome.

Potatoes and dairy, actually. Potatoes don't have everything but are pretty close. Technically potatoes and dairy doesn't have absolutely everything you need either but your body can make whatever else it needs out of what those things provide. You'll have to eat something else a bit to get molybdenum but generally potatoes can provide drat near everything you need if you eat a bunch of them. Apparently in Ireland, after the potato showed up, the average Irishman's diet was a bunch of potatoes, some milk, a bit of oatmeal, and sometimes some salted fish. They were described as "healthy and good-looking" so they must have been thriving on it. Until the famine, anyway. You can survive for quite a while with just potatoes but for long-term, normal lifespan survival you need other things but potatoes and dairy is drat near enough.

So yeah potatoes are pretty drat good food, so long as you eat the skin. That's where all the micro nutrients are.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Hogge Wild posted:

no, maize is

Shut it up, you. It says "CORN" right here on the ear.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Potatoes and dairy, actually. Potatoes don't have everything but are pretty close. Technically potatoes and dairy doesn't have absolutely everything you need either but your body can make whatever else it needs out of what those things provide. You'll have to eat something else a bit to get molybdenum but generally potatoes can provide drat near everything you need if you eat a bunch of them. Apparently in Ireland, after the potato showed up, the average Irishman's diet was a bunch of potatoes, some milk, a bit of oatmeal, and sometimes some salted fish. They were described as "healthy and good-looking" so they must have been thriving on it. Until the famine, anyway. You can survive for quite a while with just potatoes but for long-term, normal lifespan survival you need other things but potatoes and dairy is drat near enough.

So yeah potatoes are pretty drat good food, so long as you eat the skin. That's where all the micro nutrients are.

I was ready to make a "what about scurvy?!?!?!?!?!" post until I read up and found out that potatoes actually have a good amount of vitamin C in them. I had no idea.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So my potato and goat farm is a better idea than I thought it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cumslut1895 posted:

Medieval Rulers Did Nothing Wrong

Ius primæ noctis: the one weird trick peasants HATE.

and there’s no historical evidence for in any time or place.