Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

I slapped the phone out of her hand.

You did the right thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006

TBeats posted:

I thought air assault school was pretty fun. It's not hard to go by a packing list and dress right dress your stuff. The obstacle course is pretty easy. Fast roping out of a UH was fun. I even learned a thing or two.

Then again it was basically a ten day vacation away from my stupid rear end unit.

I have literally never heard anyone call air assault fun. I would describe it as a waste of time, many others would describe it as loving stupid. Although compared to airborne maybe a step up.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Kick-Puncher posted:

I have literally never heard anyone call air assault fun. I would describe it as a waste of time, many others would describe it as loving stupid. Although compared to airborne maybe a step up.

My unit made any time away from my unit fun.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TBeats posted:

My unit made any time away from my unit fun.

Same :(

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Kick-Puncher posted:

I loving loved air assault and pre-(insert random "cool guy" school here, Ranger/Lightfighter/RASP/SFAS/etc), that poo poo gave me so much time away from dumb gay poo poo to just sit in the back of my FLA and read while occasionally handing out meds or IVs.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The only guy I know who described air assault as fun scored sub 50 on his asvaab and is in the guard.

He's surprisingly a fun kid to work around. Like a human Labrador retriever.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Air Assault at least teaches you something

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

cravius posted:

Air Assault at least teaches you something

We did air assault missions in afghanistan*

*no we didn't. They called them air assault missions but we really just got on a chinook and then got out of a chinook and called it an air assault mission.

The pathfinder stuff was interesting though.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
One time we drove gators out the back, but that's about the only cool part of having to hump it. Having a bitchin' truck is where it's at.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Pathfinder is one of the few tabs worth something

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

OCS. It just changed then because I definitely had a direct commision company in class while I was going through. I mean maybe they call it OBC or something but it's part of 3-11 IN, the OCS BN and housed in the same barracks.

You're confusing the Direct Commission Officers Course with OCS.

Also nobody over the grade of O1 cares about your commissioning source outside of polite conversation.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
all that matters is that you and your wife be willing to put your car keys in the bowl

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

psydude posted:

Also nobody over the grade of O1 cares about your commissioning source outside of polite conversation.

So you've never met a west pointer?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

psydude posted:

No, I'm not. Its literally in the same barracks as OCS and under 3-11 IN. It's Echo company, I'm not imagining nurses and lawyers with LT and CPT rank running around. I never said they were officer candidates but they are definitely under OCS for the month or however long they're there for.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

cravius posted:

also lol true

*raps ring on desk

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

also lol true

*raps ring on desk

I had a PL who liked to start a lot of his pep talks with "when I was at the academy" and immediately everyone would check out mentally until he was finished.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

TBeats posted:

I had a PL who liked to start a lot of his pep talks with "when I was at the academy" and immediately everyone would check out mentally until he was finished.

we had one like that but it was VMI lol

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

TBeats posted:

oh god that sounds worst than "back in basic..."

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
West Pointers also have a much better social network and safety net than their ROTC and OCS peers. I have some good friends that are West Pointers and they're good officers but the West Point Protective Association definitely exists.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

cravius posted:

Rule still applies. Nobody cares if you went to West Point, except other West Pointers. And half of them will hate you for it because they know how lovely their fellow alumni are.

The best officer I ever worked with was a direct commissioned officer; the worst officer I ever worked went through OCS. He was closely followed by a West Pointer and a ROTC grad. All commissioning programs produce good and bad officers. In the end, the only thing that matters is that we were all dumb enough to join the Army.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

psydude posted:

Rule still applies. Nobody cares if you went to West Point, except other West Pointers. And half of them will hate you for it because they know how lovely their fellow alumni are.

The best officer I ever worked with was a direct commissioned officer; the worst officer I ever worked went through OCS. He was closely followed by a West Pointer and a ROTC grad. All commissioning programs produce good and bad officers. In the end, the only thing that matters is that we were all dumb enough to join the Army.

false. there are no good officers

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Relative to the median.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I remember being 16 and one of my dad's cohorts at the staff college at ft. Leavenworth heard that I wanted to join the army. He was some colonel who went to West point and I believe was infantry. He told me to go to college and get a degree that matters instead of joining the army.

Hindsight that was really weird to hear from someone like him..

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I dunno, a hanged noble is a pretty good noble.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

I dunno, a hanged noble is a pretty good noble.

idk they were still a noble

Harsh But True
Oct 13, 2016

psydude posted:

Lol I can also make up oddly specific anecdotes that support whatever point I'm trying to make.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

My ARNG discharge orders (ETS is a handful of days away) just hit my iPerms and say "You are discharged from the Army National Guard and as a reserve of the Army." and Current Organization Identification Code: "NONE OR NO MILITARY STATUS (W)"

Does this mean I'm not being transferred to the IRR? It seems to read that way.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Sure looks like it!

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

That seems rather weird (and possibly a mistake) since I'm still under 8 years of service. I sort of want my tax free booze ID.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Pretty sure you don't get an ID card for IRR anyhow. If you're referring to class 6 privileges, commissary and aafes poo poo you only get that if you are retired.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

IRR gets a green (DD Form 2) ID and AFAIK has full exchange/commissary privileges, correct me if I'm wrong.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I could very well be wrong, when I was put into the IRR like 10 years ago they just said check your mail for orders basically and that was that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'll gladly pay the taxes for never having to loving see a military base in my life.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Wasabi the J posted:

I'll gladly pay the taxes for never having to loving see a military base in my life.

Yeah I can have a retired ID card and I haven't bothered. I still have my expired AD cac card that I use for lowes discounts which is the only place I've ever even bothered to associate with the military iRL. 10% of a new appliance is worth the shame and awkward "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE"

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Not sure about exchange/class 6 but you do have commissary privilege in the irr.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

yea no poo poo. the tax is your will to live as your drive past the gate guard to get slightly cheaper booze to help drink yourself to death

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
also if I'm ever living where the base is even a remotely convenient option then I already hosed up

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I've got a coast guard exchange 10 min from my door. Nowhere near a big post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Do contractor CACs get PX privileges? I've never bothered trying since whenever I'm on a military base I make a point to leave as soon as possible.