Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

gently caress off Ramirez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

If that executive order (it wasn't a law you nitwit, laws are passed by the legislation) is unconstitutional, then yes, acting in violation of a court order is in fact illegal. It's called "contempt of court," and I'd expect you of all people to be familiar with contempt.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

if i knew about ramirez's cartoons i'd post one here where he complains about Obama's "executive over-reach"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm so mad about these unelected judges stopping Trump, after having done nothing to stop Obama's radical agenda of...uhh...well all that stuff he did. Or was gonna do. I forget now.

You did it.

You found the joke.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cloks posted:

Is the whole Soros thing just morons pretending the Democrats have their own Koch brothers?

That pillar of fascism which requires the enemy to be simultaneously weak and strong. In order to depict the left as strong they're forced to resort to fiction.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I'm especially shocked that Mike Lester, Domestic Abuser, would be upset at judges giving Too Many Rights to The Wrong People.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Deified Data posted:

That pillar of fascism which requires the enemy to be simultaneously weak and strong. In order to depict the left as strong they're forced to resort to fiction.

This is true, though there's another source of the meme: Soros consistently (to a fault, really) supports developing countries getting practical self-determination, so the Traditionalist/Eurasian folks have seen him as a big public enemy of their neo-imperial dreams since at least the mid-90s. Alexandr Dugin saw the Shadowy Hands of Soros everywhere, way before it was cool.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Deified Data posted:

That bit from Eco's definition of fascism is probably the one that gets the most use.

(Though cognitive dissonance and its deliberate cousin, willful density, are human things to do, not fascist by nature.)
(Just so happens that fascism likes to do it a lot more)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

simonwolf posted:

here's a loose translation:
[PANEL 1]
TRUMP: That's your ball, Abe.
ABE: The ball is too big, and the hole is too small.
[PANEL 2]
ABE: The ball and hole are different?
TRUMP: That's right! America first.
Are there any good Japanese cartoons about Trump coming out? I don't speak Japanese but Ms. Kotex does

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Doc Hawkins posted:

This is true, though there's another source of the meme: Soros consistently (to a fault, really) supports developing countries getting practical self-determination, so the Traditionalist/Eurasian folks have seen him as a big public enemy of their neo-imperial dreams since at least the mid-90s. Alexandr Dugin saw the Shadowy Hands of Soros everywhere, way before it was cool.

If so, that's hilarious that he's the boogeyman of people claiming that America should be fiercely non-interventionist (Trump was against the Iraq War, doncha know?). Prester Jane was right, these insufferable clowns will change their stories on a dime when convenient.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Improbable Lobster posted:

The left is hot and cool looking while the right are frigid and falling apart, AGC

ManlyGrunting posted:

The left looks like it's constantly shifting but it's ultimately stable and easy to understand. Meanwhile the right's policies mean that it will completely destroy itself within a generation, creating horrific worldwide consequences that they won't be alive to reap the consequences for. AGC

Sure that's an easy AGC but I hope it's meant to be a Gibraltaresque rock, i.e. stable and unmovable, but Lester is simply incapable of drawing some details like maybe a few bushes so it would look less like an iceberg.

Then again you can see the horizon through the cliff, so maybe he really means it to be an iceberg in which case I don't know what he's trying to say.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Nenonen posted:

Sure that's an easy AGC but I hope it's meant to be a Gibraltaresque rock, i.e. stable and unmovable, but Lester is simply incapable of drawing some details like maybe a few bushes so it would look less like an iceberg.

Then again you can see the horizon through the cliff, so maybe he really means it to be an iceberg in which case I don't know what he's trying to say.

I think it's supposed to be it's the tip of an iceberg or something really dumb that doesn't pair well with a lava lamp.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

xthetenth posted:

I think it's supposed to be it's the tip of an iceberg or something really dumb that doesn't pair well with a lava lamp.
I am guessing the lava lamp is meant to represent a fad that is the product of its time.

Either that or a potential fire hazard.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

I am guessing the lava lamp is meant to represent a fad that is the product of its time.

Either that or a potential fire hazard.

A lava lamp is a tasteless gadget that is in a permanent state of change. Which is why I think a solid rock standing against the sea of change would be a sensible opposite. But Lester can't draw if he meant that, or if he did draw it as an iceberg then he can't draw and he can't make sensible metaphors.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Stupid hippy poo poo vs Strong manly rock

Or that's how I read it

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Maybe both The Left and The Right are bored by the Constitution and are daydreaming of more interesting things.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Nenonen posted:

A lava lamp is a tasteless gadget that is in a permanent state of change. Which is why I think a solid rock standing against the sea of change would be a sensible opposite. But Lester can't draw if he meant that, or if he did draw it as an iceberg then he can't draw and he can't make sensible metaphors.
Moreover, regardless of the metaphor's effectiveness, it's not tied to reality at all, as Lester himself recently proved.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

xthetenth posted:

It's the rock of Gibraltar.

You know, a big, solid rock. When told that the constitution is the bedrock, smart and right conservative knows that means solid and immovable, like a rock. Stupid and wrong liberal thinks it's means malleable and changing, like a lava lamp.

How are all of you so loving terrible at this?

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 11, 2017

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

lol

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Cloks posted:

Is the whole Soros thing just morons pretending the Democrats have their own Koch brothers?

Soros and the OSI are a thing, but they're a) not focused on the US and b) not...very competent. Like a foreign legal reform based Gates foundation, there's a tendency to throw money at A Thing and not really pay attention to detail or follow through. Also like Gates, this sort of organization has way less money, control or impact than conspiracists believe that it does.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Who the gently caress draws a rock as transparent?

Apparently wife beaters.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, when I look at that rock, I see three things- 'blue', 'entirely isolated from a nearby landmass,' and 'in the sea'.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Somfin posted:

Yeah, when I look at that rock, I see three things- 'blue', 'entirely isolated from a nearby landmass,' and 'in the sea'.

But what cardinal direction is it pointing?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Eh, I figured it was being presented as a rock sense that Jesus was called the rock in my Sunday school classes as a kid, the thing we could always rely on even if the rest of the world was changing and uncertain.

LiterallyTheWurst
Feb 5, 2015

Sendik's Original
You people are terrible at metaphors. The GOP gets rock loving hard looking at the Constitution, and Democrats get totally wobbly and flacid.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Fulchrum posted:

You know, a big, solid rock. When told that the constitution is the bedrock, smart and right conservative knows that means solid and immovable, like a rock. Stupid and wrong liberal thinks it's means malleable and changing, like a lava lamp.

It's an iceberg you dumb motherfucker

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
If President Trump declared that all Muslims would go into concentration camps, Lester would rush to apply to be a guard, he'd particularly hope to work bringing people to the gas chambers.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

No one tell Lester about the amendments past the second one then.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

As AGC as it gets.

Also please stop being willfully dense, people. We know what the Republican talking points are so we know what Lester was trying to illustrate, even if he's such a poo poo cartoonist that he failed. Goo day,

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

While I get the metaphor, that looks nothing like the Rock of Gibraltar. It's in the middle of the ocean for goodness' sake.

Abyssal Squid posted:

Also please stop being willfully dense, people. We know what the Republican talking points are so we know what Lester was trying to illustrate, even if he's such a poo poo cartoonist that he failed. Goo day,

Oh wow. Even without the latest cartoon from him this is an atrocity, but with that...

I mean, it doesn't affect my opinion of Lester because I already knew he was a wife-beating hack without any convictions, integrity, or basic human decency, but still, wow.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Sorry, how did the media destroy due process? Is this something about how certain celebrity suspects are "guilty until proven innocent" in the eyes of the media (which does not actually affect court rulings) or what?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vib Rib posted:

Sorry, how did the media destroy due process? Is this something about how certain white suspects are "guilty until proven innocent" in the eyes of the media (which does not actually affect court rulings) or what?

altered a word to be more accurate

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Vib Rib posted:

Sorry, how did the media destroy due process? Is this something about how certain celebrity suspects are "guilty until proven innocent" in the eyes of the media (which does not actually affect court rulings) or what?

"Zimmerman was protecting himself from that ni- anima- criminal who attacked him first and now the media won't leave him alone!"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Abyssal Squid posted:

We know what the Republican talking points are so we know what Lester was trying to illustrate, even if he's such a poo poo cartoonist that he failed. Goo day,
Personally, I only find out about Republican talking points in this thread, so...

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Chip Bok posted:

What the people carrying “Resist” signs really don’t like are the Deplorables who voted for Trump.

An October Huffington Post headline read “Trump’s Refusal to Accept Election Results has Americans fuming.” And Hillary called Trump a “threat to Democracy” for refusing to say in advance he’d accept the results of the election.

But Trump won and now the shoe’s on the other foot. A Reason headline about protesters at Berkley says, “Thugs indulge their Weimar Dreams and Become the Totalitarians They Claim to Hate.”

Chip Bok posted:

When Nordstrom dropped Ivanka Trump’s fashion line, President Trump tweeted. He accused the company of treating his daughter unfairly.

Trump isn’t the first president to defend his daughter. A Washington Post music critic once gave Margaret Truman a bad review for a singing performance. Her father, President Harry Truman, gave him hell:

quote:

In response to Washington Post Music Critic Paul Hume’s December 6, 1950, review of Margaret Truman’s singing performance at Constitution Hall, stating,

“Miss Truman is a unique American phenomenon with a pleasant voice of little size and fair quality (she) cannot sing very well is flat a good deal of the time�more last night than at any time we have heard her in past years � has not improved in the years we have heard her � (and) still cannot sing with anything approaching professional finish.”

President Truman responded with the following letter to Hume:

THE WHITE HOUSE

WASHINGTON

Dec. 6, 1950

Mr. Hume:

I’ve just read your lousy review of Margaret’s concert. I’ve come to the conclusion that you are an “eight ulcer man on four ulcer pay.”

It seems to me that you are a frustrated old man who wishes he could have been successful. When you write such poppy-cock as was in the back section of the paper you work for it shows conclusively that you’re off the beam and at least four of your ulcers are at work.

Some day I hope to meet you. When that happens you’ll need a new nose, a lot of beefsteak for black eyes, and perhaps a supporter below!

Pegler, a gutter snipe, is a gentleman alongside you. I hope you’ll accept that statement as a worse insult than a reflection on your ancestry.

H.S.T.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
"poo poo, I don't actually have a point. I better draw the opposition saying I do."

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

I don't even know to respond to just how stupid you'd need to be to make this comparison. It's so dumb on so many levels that it's not worth listing all the reasons it's so bad.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The government makes you get a license to drive,,,

So why can't I make you buy a Sam's Club membership?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
The government can wage war on Iraq

So why can't it wage war on male pattern baldness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

"Goods and services that society as a whole is bettered by everyone having are best distributed via government" is literally ECON 101.

• Locked thread