Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Seminal Flu posted:

I know, it's super funny. Because he didn't mean it and it was just a troll don't you get it? Maximum funny.

Seriously, anyone who does poo poo like that, or agrees with it, spends too much time looking for internet points and should get out into the real world more.

drat another casualty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Someone says that Kate Hopkins, a person that publically compares other human beings to cockroaches and norovirus, has an opinion that should be respected? And 88h88 aka mathlete is the one you poo poo on? Seriously.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Hey so I changed the oil in my truck for the first time in 13,000 miles. I also think my trans might be leaking but I'm not sure. Or it's a brake line. Or it could just be more oil coming from somewhere!

Going to be getting new tires soon, I'll have Firestone glance at it and see what the hell is up. Looks like I'm also leaking oil from the front of the oil pan. But, it's got 234,000 miles on it, so that's to be expected I suppose.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

QuarkMartial posted:

I changed the oil in my truck for the first time in 13,000 miles.

What oil are you running?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Fermented Tinal posted:

Rated Old AF.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Fermented Tinal posted:

Hm. I think this was Castrol High Mileage 10-30. Or the same brand 5-20 with some Lucas. Or 10-30 with Lucas. I don't remember. I either run that or Motorcraft, which is what I just put in today in 10-30. They're both synthetic blends; I've debated switching to full synthetic, but I really don't care to have more oil leak out.

E: Leak probably isn't bad, I just need to keep a better eye on it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Seminal Flu posted:

Rated Old AF.

Awww, drat, I was hoping there was some kind of super oil that didn't require changing every 5-8k. Isn't there some synthetic that lasts 12k? Maybe I'm confusing km with miles here...

Quark, fix the leaks, consider it a valuable lesson, and change your oil every 5k.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The change oil message on my car shows up anywhere from 8500-12000 miles. Been following its advice for the past 100k, engine still runs fine, oil consumption is pretty drat low (typically it's down to the add mark on the dipstick when I change it, I rarely have to top it off), and every sample I've sent to Blackstone got a "oil's in good shape with minimal wear levels" response.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Fermented Tinal posted:

Awww, drat, I was hoping there was some kind of super oil that didn't require changing every 5-8k. Isn't there some synthetic that lasts 12k? Maybe I'm confusing km with miles here...

Quark, fix the leaks, consider it a valuable lesson, and change your oil every 5k.

There is a mobil 1 extended performance blend that claims 15000 mile life span. Designed mostly for cars doing alotta highway miles it seems.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Someone says that Kate Hopkins, a person that publically compares other human beings to cockroaches and norovirus, has an opinion that should be respected? And 88h88 aka mathlete is the one you poo poo on? Seriously.
It really doesn't matter whether someone thinks her opinion should/should not be respected. What matters if you say "poo poo opinions should still be respected", you don't get to throw your toys out the pram when presented with a poo poo opinion, as it reveals that you are simply trying to muzzle people bagging on an opinion you don't actually disagree with, by pretending you are being tolerant.

It's like how if you say "violence is never a solution", you are not allowed to use it, in any way, for any reason, without being a hypocrite. If you say "violence generally isn't the best solution for most situations", you're still being consistent with that if you punch someone in the face.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

It really doesn't matter whether someone thinks her opinion should/should not be respected. What matters if you say "poo poo opinions should still be respected", you don't get to throw your toys out the pram when presented with a poo poo opinion, as it reveals that you are simply trying to muzzle people bagging on an opinion you don't actually disagree with, by pretending you are being tolerant.

It's like how if you say "violence is never a solution", you are not allowed to use it, in any way, for any reason, without being a hypocrite. If you say "violence generally isn't the best solution for most situations", you're still being consistent with that if you punch someone in the face.

This guy gets it. Now excuse me while I try to get up and keep ridingafter that 22% hill. Fuuuuuuùck ouch

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

God dammit I was having such an excellent day, I was gonna make a happy post in here about it.

Got in my car to drive home, and after not 5 minutes suddenly my clutch is going all mushy. Feel with my hand to trace the hydraulic line and suddenly it gets wet and oily. :suicide:

The fitting doesn't look/feel loose, I dunno if an o ring went bad or the line split or what. Currently waiting in a parking lot; I might be able to limp it home, but the clutch shares the brake reservoir so I'm not gonna try.

Of all the loving days, mother gently caress.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Enourmo posted:

I might be able to limp it home, but the clutch shares the brake reservoir so I'm not gonna try.
Normally shared reservoirs are designed so that the clutch cannot drain it below the level the brake master picks up from, in order to avoidsuch issues, but you're right not to risk it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Enourmo posted:

God dammit I was having such an excellent day, I was gonna make a happy post in here about it.

Got in my car to drive home, and after not 5 minutes suddenly my clutch is going all mushy. Feel with my hand to trace the hydraulic line and suddenly it gets wet and oily. :suicide:

The fitting doesn't look/feel loose, I dunno if an o ring went bad or the line split or what. Currently waiting in a parking lot; I might be able to limp it home, but the clutch shares the brake reservoir so I'm not gonna try.

Of all the loving days, mother gently caress.

You could probably limp it if it's not too far, just put it in 2nd gear or so and leave it there if the clutch stops working entirely.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Good time to practice shifting without the clutch.

Edit: also today was busy. Got called out on a broke pole at 830am, worked till 1230pm. Got home, found a used stove on CL (remember the non working stove in my wife's rental house from earlier? Probably you do not.) for $55, so hooked the matrix up to my little 5x8 trailer and went to pick that up. Gotta clean it up a little but it's in much better shape, for the same the old stove would cost to fix.

Stove top elements? Like 30 bux apiece at Lowe's omg wtf

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 12, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

We went to the henry ford museum today and it was p cool

Here's an old Bugatti and some other neat things

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rev matching is all well and good, but the bigger issue is stopping, and there's lights everywhere. I went and grabbed a sandwich, came out and it's progressed from "can get into gear and take off if I pump the pedal" to "100% dead limp floppycock".

AAA is on the way, just an annoying way to end an otherwise great day.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This guy gets it. Now excuse me while I try to get up and keep ridingafter that 22% hill. Fuuuuuuùck ouch

You wanna borrow my mountain triple?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ANYWAY now that the truck's en route, my good day. Went and launched rockets (not rickets you dumbass phone) with the other project lead, we were testing the deployment electronics. 4 launches, 4 perfect flights, 4 altimeters checked out and ready to go for the competition. First flight of a new rocket I built for the occasion, which flew perfectly. Buddy did his certification flight for NAR level 2, which went off without a hitch. Weather was amazing, trip was uneventful, good tunes were had, and we shared a celebratory smoke(s) as the sun set and everyone packed up to leave.

I don't often have "good days" but holy gently caress everything went so well. Could not have been more stoked.

E: also we had a Chinook and a C-130 make appearances in the sky early in the day. At least they were up high, unlike the poo poo gently caress Cessna pilots that kept violating the no fly zone around the launch site.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 12, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Godspeed. I was whining about 15 minutes at 5-8% on a big Zwift hill. You're doing god's work.

Edit: Sorry about the rickets, Enuormo.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nm posted:

You wanna borrow my mountain triple?

Doesnt really help when it's 300watts just to barely keep moving. 400 watts to just go 5kph.

(36/32)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I'm going to assume that's a king's son who goes by the name of Albert.

cursedshitbox posted:

orangegropenfuhrer

This is now my go to Trump insult. Bravo.

the spyder posted:

I've determined I need a stupid project. Something that involved a engine swap. I'm really, really tired of rotaries. Well, not enough to say toss a 20b into a Jaguar, but still. I need something awesome in my life. This has lead to me perusing the grassrootmotorsports build threads. God help me.

Well, you seem to have plenty of nice chassis, that are pretty easy to stuff other things in. Go for it. Embrace the blasphemy.

John Wick 2: I trust the reviews of Howard Taylor, writer and artist of web comic Schlock Mercenary. His tastes are compatible with mine. While he enjoyed the movie, it did not cross his "Threshold of Awesome." Much like Ikhan said, the story is basic and straightforward. The fight scenes are good, so watch those.
http://www.schlockmercenary.com/blog/john-wick-chapter-2/

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's not griefing, that's shot shaming.

Yeah, griefing is killing that one guy over and over, in as stupid a way as possible, or just generally making his game hell.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

We went to the henry ford museum today and it was p cool

Here's an old Bugatti and some other neat things

I was annoyed that I didn't get away from the store I was refitting early enough to make it to the Ford museum when I was in Detroit in '10. It was, however, the week before Dream Cruze weekend and my hotel was on Woodward just south of Pontiac, so there's that. If I'd have realized it, I would have paid to stay Saturday and left Sunday instead of coming back Friday. Likewise, I was in Philly leaving the 3rd of July...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So you told a a guy in the military that you wished he stepped on an IED. For all you know some of his friends could have been killed that way.

But it's cool because (to you) his opinion was bad? That's pretty low man.

In short, no. I was performing an experiment.

InitialDave posted:

No, he's using a deliberately massively offensive (and fake) opinion to highlight that matey's complaint about how the Katie Hopkins pisstake "not respecting her opinion" isn't genuine. The guy was saying that someone's (poo poo) opinions should be "respected" by not mocking them, and when faced with a poo poo opinion he really didn't like, flipped out.

fridge corn posted:

Lol you sound like you actually believe he meant what he said and didn't just say it to provoke a reaction

This troll has legs lmao

Exactly, I was seeing if by saying something shocking (like Katie Hopkins does) he'd become the very thing he was mocking and from the exasperated replies it seems I was bang on the money.

You don't get to accuse someone of taking offense at an opinion if you yourself turn into some death-threat throwing dipshit when someone else gives a (fake) opinion about you. That makes you a hypocrite and a lovely person.

I'm glad at least a couple of people understand my purpose for doing so.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
last car i'd expect to see in front of a stylish and expensive modern home

blk
Dec 19, 2009

the spyder posted:

I've determined I need a stupid project. Something that involved a engine swap. I'm really, really tired of rotaries. Well, not enough to say toss a 20b into a Jaguar, but still. I need something awesome in my life. This has lead to me perusing the grassrootmotorsports build threads. God help me.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=exomotive+dbr1 ?

https://portland.craigslist.org/yam/cto/5995327939.html ?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
I've gone roller skating with my gf a couple times this year and bought my own roller blades (the rentals are cheap but they loving suck). Currently waiting for the place to open for a Saturday night retro theme skate. I'm not sure what to expect, but I do expect to have fun. And lots of sweating.

They open in 7 minutes (were closed for 2 hours for dinner or some such) and there's a line out the door. I'm actually surprised.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

blk posted:

last car i'd expect to see in front of a stylish and expensive modern home

How are you even supposed to keep those pavers from getting overgrown? I feel like a weed whacker isn't enough.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is the most hipster driveway I have ever seen.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
They're great in some ways, hell my aunt and uncle have that kind of driveway at their beach house and have for 30+ years.

I wouldn't want to combine one with snow though.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
That is exactly the kind of house I'd expect a convertible pt cruiser owner to live in.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

That is exactly the kind of house I'd expect a convertible pt cruiser owner to live in.

Why? The house is minimalist modernist, the car is overstylized retro throwback

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

That is the most hipster driveway I have ever seen.

I have vivid memories of the hotel my family used to stay at in La Jolla having a driveway set up in that same style. Pulled it up on Google Street View and they've repaved it as standard concrete, so clearly at some point they decided it wasn't worth the maintenance.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How are you even supposed to keep those pavers from getting overgrown? I feel like a weed whacker isn't enough.

I think letting them get overgrown is really the idea, so you have a driveway that doesn't look like one.

Although I suppose knowing it could look as pictured, would drive an ADD person mad.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

That's a cool driveway and cool dwelling.

As far as the PT Cruiser I feel it's the polar opposite of "guy living in trailer with a Viper parked out front." Priorities, man.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

blk posted:

Yet both lack any semblance of taste

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

ilkhan posted:

I've gone roller skating with my gf a couple times this year and bought my own roller blades (the rentals are cheap but they loving suck). Currently waiting for the place to open for a Saturday night retro theme skate. I'm not sure what to expect, but I do expect to have fun. And lots of sweating.

They open in 7 minutes (were closed for 2 hours for dinner or some such) and there's a line out the door. I'm actually surprised.

We had disco skating locally on Saturday nights here. We would go nearly every weekend. One of my best friends found his wife there. It was a great pastime. We all grew out of it since we all got married and have kids and everything.

Never did we use roller blades though. #quadlife

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

We had disco skating locally on Saturday nights here. We would go nearly every weekend. One of my best friends found his wife there. It was a great pastime. We all grew out of it since we all got married and have kids and everything.

Never did we use roller blades though. #quadlife
90 minutes later, drenched in sweat, had an average heart rate of 165 (I wear a monitor when doing activities), which is actually lower than I expected.

20 mile bike ride tomorrow, too. :)

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

blk posted:

It's bipolar.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Do weather tech floor mats ever go on sale or have coupons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yes, I will say I prefer the house to the fake stone nonsense going on next door, at least it seems consistent in its style.

Those grow-through paving things are used a lot where they have high traffic areas that want to be "green", but not turn into a sea of mud. They're also useful for getting around planning rules governing things like maximum percentage of land area that may be impermeable, while being less hassle than gravel.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Feb 12, 2017

• Locked thread