Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

tap my mountain posted:

I'm pretty certain that magic does not affect elemental damage that you didn't create via onmyo. Like weapons with innate elemental damage or weapon buffs from killing the little elemental skulls or talismans that you pick up instead of creating yourself.
That would mmake a certain kind if sense, but I felt like I did the same damage whether I used a talisman or a bonfire during the slime boss fight.

quote:

Magic really picks up after the third training, those extra talismans you can get are progressively cheaper and you don't need to equip the first two ranks to use the third. I went from carrying a few useful things and stretching em out to having a very stacked inventory.

This is true even with the tier 2 talismans. I have like 28 onmyo capacity. I took down the snow lady with a hilarious cheese combination of amrita on hit, amrita multiplier, weakness, lifeseal, sloth, and fire talismans. 6 different talismans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Now people talking about switching stances in the middle of a fight, that's some nine-dimensional poo poo I can't even come close to doing

You think that's bad but there's skills that give benefits to people that can switch weapons in the middle of a combo

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
I wish I could pronounce the name of all the gear/weapons -- I can't remember any of them and it makes keeping track of it pretty much impossible.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH

The Lord of Hats posted:

God dammit what's the secret to doing actual damage to Nue? I understand how to deal with most of his bullshit, (him just straight up swiping at me with claws remains strangely troublesome, much like whatsername's spin attack continuously giving me trouble), but I can't seem to damage him in any really meaningful way. Is there a particular element I should be using? Specced into Kusari-Gama.

I just waited for him to do that lightning breath attack and charged to his left side. High stance spear was usually good for a crit + regular attack. He would randomly do that bullshit swipe attack which is probably the hardest part of the fight.

teknetik fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 12, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

teknetik posted:

I wish I could pronounce the name of all the gear/weapons -- I can't remember any of them and it makes keeping track of it pretty much impossible.

That added to the fact that there is so much goddamn equipment in this game basically means I have never stuck with one set I liked. "Oh, the Western Warrior set is starting to wear down in defense? Well that's ok I've got this uh... *shuffles through 1000 item large item bag* ...Udonaya Clan Fighter's Left Nut Protection Cup I can put on to cover the difference?? Oh, it's bright green, yeah alright"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There are many things I find difficult about this game, but Ki pulsing isn't really one of them. The timing is constant based on the attack so I don't even look at anything and just dodge (or pulse if I need to save the dodge timing) as part of my attack chain.

Now people talking about switching stances in the middle of a fight, that's some nine-dimensional poo poo I can't even come close to doing

It's how I took down Hino-enma in the Twilight version of her mission. Stayed in low stance most of the time, then switched to high when she gave me an opening. The high kusarigama square attacks do very impressive burst damage (plus respectable elemental buildup), and stance switches are a lot easier and less painless than they sound - you just tap the relevant two buttons together whenever, and boom, you're done instantly with zero stamina cost and maybe a little bonus if you time it right.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It really blows that you can't help co op a boss you haven't beat. Maybe I'd like the bosses more if you could.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

veni veni veni posted:

It really blows that you can't help co op a boss you haven't beat. Maybe I'd like the bosses more if you could.

I like it. If your asking for help you don't get a fuckwit who doesn't know what they are doing.

I don't like that you can't coop the whole level blind together. But the dark souls summon is good.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 12, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone have a fave element? I've been leaning hard on water because damage increases are inherently good, but I feel I should experiment with a few of the others.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Pretty cool how Muneshige just murders you after you save his life and all.

I never got to him in the demo. Can you come back to fight him after changing regions?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Pretty cool how Muneshige just murders you after you save his life and all.

I never got to him in the demo. Can you come back to fight him after changing regions?

Yeah, his mission stays around.

He just wants an honorable duel. You get his armor out of it, which is good because it owns.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I already have his full set from fighting Kelly in the last mission and killing a couple revenants, so this is just for funsies.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nue's weak point is his glowing belly.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What unlocks the subsequent levels of training? Is it just progression or is there a stat threshold?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What unlocks the subsequent levels of training? Is it just progression or is there a stat threshold?

Progression unlocks them at the dojo. They do have stat thresholds, but the missions appear (just grayed out) even if you don't meet the prereqs and you can see what stats you need.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Thanks for letting me know about action mode and uh this game is really good and looks great on the PS4

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So I got summoned and did a good thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOluygxCoKU

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

For the actual missions to become available they appear usually after the first story mission in each new region.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Welp. I'm out.

My 45 year old reflexes are not up to this game.

Fortunately it was a rental so I haven't lost anything.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

Welp. I'm out.

My 45 year old reflexes are not up to this game.

Fortunately it was a rental so I haven't lost anything.

:( you can tank stuff if you level that.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

TaurusOxford posted:

good

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

When I close my eyes at night all I can hear are those loving Kodama honking noises

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Bombadilillo posted:

:( you can tank stuff if you level that.

Nah, It's Bloodborne all over again. I could maybe grind/cheese my way through the first half of the game, but I'd eventually reach a point I just couldn't get past, and this is kicking my rear end way harder than the start of Bloodborne was.

I need a slower pace, a stout shield to hide behind and the ability to spam magic through the tricky bits in one of these sort of games. That's what go me through the Dark Souls trilogy.

It's cool, I've got half a dozen games from the last Steam Sale I haven't touched yet.

Think I'll go give Total Warhammer a try.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Iai Quickdraw 3 is possibly the best skill ever, especially against bosses that you can stagger. I managed to deal around 60% of Yoshitsugu Otani's health bar after one stun just by chaining draw attacks together.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Harrow posted:

For onmyo magic: does Onmyo Magic Power affect the duration of status effects? What if you apply them with weapons instead of talismans?

I'm trying to decide if I want to invest much more in the Magic stat. I have some useful talismans but I don't use damage talismans very much. But if increasing my Magic will help me stick status effects on enemies for longer, then I'll probably go for it.

No I don't believe there is a way to extend debuff length. I think the only thing that affects debuffs is the recurrent damage dealt stat which makes poison and fire do more damage.

Darth Walrus posted:

Anyone have a fave element? I've been leaning hard on water because damage increases are inherently good, but I feel I should experiment with a few of the others.

Water also makes other elements stack faster so I like to apply that first then use lightning to activate discord.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I swear there is some kind of input lag between my controller and the TV. Muneshige and his bullshit iai attack he can use with a red ki bar had to be dodged by pre-emptively hitting dodge a split second before it actually happened, or it would still hit before the dodge animation had finished.

He's so close to a fun fight but he just breaks too many rules. He can do anything with a red ki bar but block without getting exhausted, his iai charge and normal swings are randomly interruptible, he can time his raiken summon and iai such that if you dodge one, you WILL be hit by the other, and Sometimes hitting him with red ki doesn't stagger him. I don't mind his huge debuff resistance or silly quick draw bow attack, and if his stance actually mattered with regard to how stunnable he was, then his fight would make a great rest of observation. Sometimes his raiken would miss, then stick around and charge into your back

Finally beat him but it wasn't as fun an experience as I hoped.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
How to remove 100% of the challenge of this game.

Step 1: Get a guardian spirit with an A- or higher in Gauge Rate and a B or higher in Recovery.

Step 2: Extraction Talismans.

Welcome to Nioh: Super Easy Mode.

Additionally, stat points in Spirit improve all aspects of Living Weapon, and there is an Onmyo passive you can take to extend it even further. If you feel like really throwing the fishing net out, you can slot the 100 amrita soulstones on your hotbar to pump up living weapon/maintain the duration.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I swear there is some kind of input lag between my controller and the TV. Muneshige and his bullshit iai attack he can use with a red ki bar had to be dodged by pre-emptively hitting dodge a split second before it actually happened, or it would still hit before the dodge animation had finished.

He's so close to a fun fight but he just breaks too many rules. He can do anything with a red ki bar but block without getting exhausted, his iai charge and normal swings are randomly interruptible, he can time his raiken summon and iai such that if you dodge one, you WILL be hit by the other, and Sometimes hitting him with red ki doesn't stagger him. I don't mind his huge debuff resistance or silly quick draw bow attack, and if his stance actually mattered with regard to how stunnable he was, then his fight would make a great rest of observation. Sometimes his raiken would miss, then stick around and charge into your back

Finally beat him but it wasn't as fun an experience as I hoped.

His ki just recharges really fast so he is always redlining. If you slow his ki regen he gets exhausted like any other dude. Also the raiken doesn't track fast and has a limited range, so I just ran far away to avoid it while prepping to dodge his actual attack

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 12, 2017

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I'm guessing you need either the appropriate onmyo or an earth enchanted dual katana/kusarigama for that? My water/fire weapons never built up on him fast enough and the status-shurikens were only good for stopping the charge animation on his flurry.

Did the raiken never turn around and charge into your back? It didn't happen every attempt but it had.me paranoid.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I'm guessing you need either the appropriate onmyo or an earth enchanted dual katana/kusarigama for that? My water/fire weapons never built up on him fast enough and the status-shurikens were only good for stopping the charge animation on his flurry.

Did the raiken never turn around and charge into your back? It didn't happen every attempt but it had.me paranoid.

Yeah, I think the raiken double attack happens when he's low? At least I always noticed it when I was about to win. I used lifeseal talismans to slow his ki regen.

The way I finally beat him was with the Kusarigama. I would keep poking him while he was moving with the high-strong attack. His normal slashes were often punishable with the knockdown attack in high stance. Also as soon as I could tell he was going to run out of ki I pelted him with a shuriken, I think that's the fastest attack to trigger a stagger. I think the iai attack is completely unpunishable so I just dodged and ran away from it.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Has anyone found the smithing texts for the iga ninja set?

I got the armor somewhere but need those weapons since its a seven piece set.

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 12, 2017

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Emalde posted:

How to remove 100% of the challenge of this game.

Step 1: Get a guardian spirit with an A- or higher in Gauge Rate and a B or higher in Recovery.

Step 2: Extraction Talismans.

Welcome to Nioh: Super Easy Mode.

Additionally, stat points in Spirit improve all aspects of Living Weapon, and there is an Onmyo passive you can take to extend it even further. If you feel like really throwing the fishing net out, you can slot the 100 amrita soulstones on your hotbar to pump up living weapon/maintain the duration.

Advanced Techniques
Use the Amarita multiplier talismans as well
Grab an elemental magic that will discord with your Spirit weapon element
Get a weapon with Spirit scaling
Sloth Talismans
The Berserking Talisman (Defence down, attack up, you are immortal so it dosent matter)

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

Mr.Citrus posted:

Has anyone found the smithing texts for the iga ninja set?

I got the armor somewhere but need those weapons since its a seven piece set.

just redo the training mission until you get all purps
start off by throwing poison shuriken until it procs, keep using the grabbing move if you are using kurisagama, followed by single attack, goes down in about a minute

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Stormgale posted:

Advanced Techniques
Use the Amarita multiplier talismans as well
Grab an elemental magic that will discord with your Spirit weapon element
Get a weapon with Spirit scaling
Sloth Talismans
The Berserking Talisman (Defence down, attack up, you are immortal so it dosent matter)

You kind of have to go out of your way to *not* break the game in some capacity. Or at least avoid magic and ninjitsu entirely. Sloth + the guardian spirit talisman in magic, or all the status effects to inflict discord + bombs in ninjitsu really seem to make your life easier. I have to think this is intentional and the game really is supposed to be way harder at the beginning. It's not like they hide stuff like the sloth talisman from you; you get a set for the magic dojo quests. I'm not even sure that it's really cheap to use all the broken stuff, given that every boss so far seems to have at least one attack that will one shot you.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I broke the game by just playing it normally without using any ninjitsu or magic.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Just beat frogbossholy poo poo that was great. He got me with a sliver of health 1st try. Got him with no elixer left second fight.

That was so drat good. REALLY good. Feeling right now like how people talk about Lady Maria. Which I never 'got' but I think I do now. What a duel. Didn't feel cheap. Dodging and countering.

gently caress yeah this game rules.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Hi I just started playing. With the way the skills are set up it looks like my best bet is to pick a weapon type or two that I like and just put points into those? I assume if I go and pick skills for all weapons I won't be able to get any of the higher tier stuff.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Overbite posted:

Hi I just started playing. With the way the skills are set up it looks like my best bet is to pick a weapon type or two that I like and just put points into those? I assume if I go and pick skills for all weapons I won't be able to get any of the higher tier stuff.

It's best to focus on two weapon types, yeah, though there are respec items and they're common enough that doing a minor investment in each class while you're figuring out what you want to use won't hurt you in the long run.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Fun trick- trick Nue into hitting the bell in his arena. The ringing instantly breaks his ki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

TaurusOxford posted:

How you displaying the numerical amount of HP and ki