Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Where's this swamp from?

I found it for you.

http://magiccards.info/euro/en/10.html

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/european-lands/swamp-lake-district-national-park?partner=mtgtcg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Rinkles posted:

Where's this swamp from?

Found it

E: drat

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Pretty, thanks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Portal second age swamps all day folks.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Tubgoat posted:

Does it seem to anyone else like WotC is deliberately trying to give players worse value for their money year to year, each year, as a function of secondary market value? It's not like a foil textless Cryptic Command and an FNM that-bad-blue-draw-card-whose-name-I-can't-remember cost different amounts to print. It seems to me that WotC is just letting SCG, TCG, CFB, et al make all their money for them, when properly supporting/rewarding players for frequently spending money on tournaments would make WotC more money without actually eating into SCG's profits.

When Serum Visions and Path to Exile were the FNM promo the LGS I went to at the time had a significantly higher FNM attendance, with people that never played standard showing up to play. People were building decks and spending money buying singles at the LGS to improve / optimize their deck. If the promo is playable outside of standard some people will pick up standard (at least temporarily) to try and win it. The usuals will still show up and casuals will want to put it in their lovely home brew, but won't be able to and will trade the promo to someone else for some standard cards --- everyone wins except the mtgfinance gurus that have a hundred copies of the same overpriced common/uncommon

Instead we get call the bloodline and noose constrictor. At least some of the upcoming promos are played in standard but still.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

Where's this swamp from?

MTGO, clearly.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

PJOmega posted:

drat shame there haven't been any standard sets where a Tarmogoyf reprint would make sense. You'd need some kind of graveyard matters set. Or a set where monsters roamed the countryside.

loving WotC.

Really they'd have to have a whole block where card types in graveyard mattering was a major mechanic, and you'd have to be absolutely delirious to think they'd do that!

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

mandatory lesbian posted:

that was Stoddard actually, who said that. and i don't really think a one mana elf would make this format better tbh

4 mana wrath would be nice tho, and obvs bolt is love but it's been gone for more time then it's been around for a while

Look at this nerd knowing the real life lore :rolleyes:

But ya I'm not necessarily saying those cards exactly would matter all that much, just that they consciously made some pretty big changes in what they consider normal while at the same time reducing, instead of beefing up, things like good promos and cool random prizes until recently with Masterpieces.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
What the?! Mono black vampires at 3-0 crushing mardu vehicles on coverage at GP Pitt :aaa:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Dehtraen posted:

What the?! Mono black vampires at 3-0 crushing mardu vehicles on coverage at GP Pitt :aaa:

This is great

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Aw man, he got crushed g2 and g3 - the dream is dead

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Death Bot posted:

It's pretty interesting considering that a few years back Maro admitted that they were trying out a few new things, like removing bolt, 4 mana wrath, and 1 mana unconditional mana dorks. The idea that they moved away from some things like this that are pretty core parts of how the game has worked forever while slowly retracting the withering olive branch they already had in place is pretty mind blowing

Oh yeah I forgot about that, heh. I wonder how many people are glad that they're gone.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
B/G constrictor has quite a grip on the format.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Cheon and Sutcliffe actually make a pretty good commentary pair imo

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but you could have made it cheaper for yourself to play the game...

Right, but this is just a rationalization. It's never going to get cheaper for any of us. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I don't play anymore because I can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a new deck every six months, nor to spend a thousand dollars on a non-rotating deck up front. If the game were cheaper, wizards would be making a nonzero amount of money from me; instead, they are making $0 from me.

I'm sure it would still be a net loss for them because apparently tons of people have endless cash burning a hole in their pocket.

They would also make money off everyone trying to buy into modern if they actually sold modern cards instead of letting secondary market retailers rake in all the business. Wizards doesn't make any profit from TCGPlayer selling Damnation for $60, yet they still refuse to reprint it.

Secondary market retailers are the places where you play competitive Magic. They're not going to gently caress them over for no reason.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Dehtraen posted:

it looks like standard is settling down a bit into a ddcent format again.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

Secondary market retailers are the places where you play competitive Magic. They're not going to gently caress them over for no reason.

I mean I'd love to have a reason to invest in and play Magic via my FLGS or other secondary market retailer, but instead it feels futile and out of my budget, so I increasingly don't do that

Are enough other people still doing it that they don't see a net loss? I guess so, but they're still leaving my money on the table

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Necropotence would be bad in this standard.

It'd be pretty broken in Modern though.

Honestly, not sure how broken it would be in modern. It is classically one of the most powerful cards in Magic, but without Dark Ritual and other fast mana (I can't think of any ways to make fast black mana in modern) it might be too slow. It doesnt fit into any of the established archetypes in Modern so it would have to go into some new unseen shell.

It would enable a pretty sick mono black control deck with Nythkos. But Modern is pretty fast. And tapping out turn 3 to put a Necropotence in play is gonna make the more aggressive decks in the format smile. I can't see Affinity, Burn or Infect really caring. It does let you restock if you can use your removal suite to deal with the aggro decks threats in earlier turns, but it has very real cost with the life payments, and you don't get the cards till the end of your turn, and a deck like Burn can punish that hard. Further almost every deck in modern runs some kind of SB answer to cards like Necropotence already. Also if you are in on a removal suite you will be soft against combo decks. It seems like one of those classic decks in modern that wins if it can stabilize mid game, and those have traditionally not been where you want to be in Modern.

Abzan/Junk/Jund have answers to it, but it does let a black focused deck to compete with them value wise.

Maybe Ad Naesuem or another combo deck cares cause it means you will have a good stream of hand disruption before they can go off?

I think it would for sure enable a powerful new deck archetype, but I don't think it would necessarily have the dominance Eldrazi did. I might be very wrong though.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 11, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What a tight game from Fevered Emerge

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

anglachel posted:

Honestly, not sure how broken it would be in modern. It is classically one of the most powerful cards in Magic, but without Dark Ritual and other fast mana (I can't think of any ways to make fast black mana in modern) it might be too slow. It doesnt fit into any of the established archetypes in Modern so it would have to go into some new unseen shell.

It would enable a pretty sick mono black control deck with Nythkos. But Modern is pretty fast. And tapping out turn 3 to put a Necropotence in play is gonna make the more aggressive decks in the format smile. I can't see Affinity, Burn or Infect really caring. It does let you restock if you can use your removal suite to deal with the aggro decks threats in earlier turns, but it has very real cost with the life payments, and you don't get the cards till the end of your turn, and a deck like Burn can punish that hard. Further almost every deck in modern runs some kind of SB answer to cards like Necropotence already. Also if you are in on a removal suite you will be soft against combo decks. It seems like one of those classic decks in modern that wins if it can stabilize mid game, and those have traditionally not been where you want to be in Modern.

Abzan/Junk/Jund have answers to it, but it does let a black focused deck to compete with them value wise.

Maybe Ad Naesuem or another combo deck cares cause it means you will have a good stream of hand disruption before they can go off?

I think it would for sure enable a powerful new deck archetype, but I don't think it would necessarily have the dominance Eldrazi did. I might be very wrong though.

Necro Goryo's Vengeance would be hilarious - use Nourishing Shoal to activate for a ridiculous number of cards, discard your reanimation targets to hand size, and go off during your cleanup step in response to the exile triggers.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
e: nm i b dumb

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Necro Goryo's Vengeance would be hilarious - use Nourishing Shoal to activate for a ridiculous number of cards, discard your reanimation targets to hand size, and go off during your cleanup step in response to the exile triggers.

So yet another combo deck in Modern that can win on turn 4 if nobody has disruption for it?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Never really thought before about the fact that Necro's exile clause is a trigger and not a replacement, but there you go

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Yeah forget Necro in Modern - let's talk about Bargain in Legacy.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

anglachel posted:

So yet another combo deck in Modern that can win on turn 4 if nobody has disruption for it?

The difference is that if you fizzle you just drew a billion cards and can try again next turn.

Though I'm not sure how effective goryo's vengeance on your own end step is.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Jabor posted:

The difference is that if you fizzle you just drew a billion cards and can try again next turn.

Though I'm not sure how effective goryo's vengeance on your own end step is.

I mean you get to keep it for the duration of their turn if you cast it on your end step. So you can do the Borbyogomos trick.

But I mean it would have to be a green/black deck (have to have green creatures for the nourishing shoal to go off) that can reliably make 3 black mana by at least turn 4.

I mean it would work maybe, but it sounds like yet another all in combo deck that falls apart if you have any kind of disruption for what they are doing whatsoever. And as a side benefit your anti dredge tech works on this hypothetical deck too.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
How'd everyone do at gameday? Took the mat home piloting RB Zombies where my deck just durdled hard against the brews and did silly stuff like untapping turn three with 9 power on board versus the tier one decks. Fun times.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dehtraen posted:

How'd everyone do at gameday? Took the mat home piloting RB Zombies where my deck just durdled hard against the brews and did silly stuff like untapping turn three with 9 power on board versus the tier one decks. Fun times.

Forgot it was this weekend. Don't have a standard deck anyway.

Oh well maybe I'll care more when I can cast crocodile headed men.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Count Bleck posted:

Oh well maybe I'll care more when I can cast crocodile headed men.

They better be good, and hopefully smash to smithereens will be back too.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dehtraen posted:

1-2 with a bad G2 loss because I screwed up my sequencing. I was playing Paradoxical Outcome/Aetherflux.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Dehtraen posted:

I went 2-1 in the draft and in my prize packs pulled a Yahenni, Undying Partisan and the new white mythic that resets your life total when you die, so p good :toot:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I didn't go, though I had put together a UR emerge list that looked surprisingly similar to this one.

Something about squeezing into a crowded game shop where the AC struggles to keep up under the best of circumstances, but on a day where it's 40+ degrees outside, just didn't seem that appealing to me.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dehtraen posted:

They better be good, and hopefully smash to smithereens will be back too.

I get not printing easy answers that nullify a set's gimmick in the set itself. For example, reasonably costed instant speed creature or artifact destruction at common or uncommon would make vehicles feel really bad in draft due to temporarily 241ing.

That said, they should be figuring the set gimmicks out way earlier and putting answers in the previous block.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dehtraen posted:

I finally won a gameday for the first time since FRF with GW tokens. :toot:

Sram's Expertise in to Nissa is pretty good.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

PJOmega posted:

That said, they should be figuring the set gimmicks out way earlier and putting answers in the previous block.
They really, really need to do this

Entropic posted:

I finally won a gameday for the first time since FRF with GW tokens. :toot:

Sram's Expertise in to Nissa is pretty good.
Nice work. I've had Oath of Gideon, next turn Sram's Expertise into Nissa tick down, next turn angel of invention, Nissa tick down again happen to me while I was stuck on two lands. I don't think I've scooped my cards up faster.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Dehtraen posted:

How'd everyone do at gameday?

I won mine playing BG constrictor, with a very similar build to the one that won the Columbus open. I just had a slightly different sideboard and I ran sylvan advocate instead of grim flayer. I beat indomitable creativity into eldrazi titans.dek, UR control, and metalwork colossus, but I dropped a match to a new guy on a surprisingly good mono-green energy deck who ended up coming in 3rd. Top 4 was UR control again and then the mirror in the finals. The opponent's variant of the deck was pretty weird; he ran catacomb sifter instead of Rishkar, and he ran 3-mana Nissa and Liliana to enable heart of kiran.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

And GP day 2:

And the $50 secret box of fun from Moose Loot:

My cube is so close to being done.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Wizards should print more cards that Modern players want

anglachel
May 28, 2012

myDad posted:

Wizards should print more cards that Modern players want

Wizards is trying to pull as much support from Modern as they can.

I guess they've had some kind of meeting and figure that they can make a spike in sales if they can just get those darn Eternal Format players (we can count modern in this i guess) to play Standard instead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

anglachel posted:

Wizards is trying to pull as much support from Modern as they can.

I guess they've had some kind of meeting and figure that they can make a spike in sales if they can just get those darn Eternal Format players (we can count modern in this i guess) to play Standard instead!

That's not happening.

• Locked thread