Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
The real penalty is having to go through the 5 loadscreens it takes to get into a match again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I mean they say they are going to implement further penalties post-launch right there so I dunno what all the fuss is about.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so I hadn't given much thought to network problems but

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I know its early so its all bullshit, but what's everyone's top/bottom three?

Right now I have Orochi, Peace Keeper and Nobushi as the best and Kensei, Raider and Conqueror as the worst.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Just so I'm not missing anything you can't change heroes on the fly right

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

Just so I'm not missing anything you can't change heroes on the fly right

Negatory.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

fadam posted:

Negatory.

Thanks Ubisoft

:dice:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

breaks posted:

Here's what they had to say about leavers in their Q&A sticky on their official forums:

So basically "we're dumb and want to be the thousandth game to fail at stopping leavers without locking people out but eventually we'll cave" seems to be the answer.

Lmao, gently caress this game then, no dedicated servers, bad matchmaking (6 players in a 8 player match and you put 4 vs 2? Seriously?) and not even a token gesture at trying to stop people leaving games early is not worth 65 dollars. I'll consider it worth the bandwidth to download it if it gets some good patches and people are still playing it then. Sad!

breaks
May 12, 2001

I think the game is pretty fun and I'm gonna buy it, but yeah they didn't do nearly as a good a job with all the auxiliary stuff as they did with the fighting itself.

fadam posted:

Right now I have Orochi, Peace Keeper and Nobushi as the best and Kensei, Raider and Conqueror as the worst.

I think Warlord deserves consideration for top three also.

I have been playing a lot of Kensei but can't argue too much I guess. At the least he is not very easy to use.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

fadam posted:

All subject to change and in my opinion but(and this is strictly for 1v1, unknown about team games):

Warden and Peacekeeper seem to have an edge on everyone else, and berserker just seems like crap compared to the peacekeeper while fufilling the same assassin role. Everyone else in the middle.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

So what does the second set of numbers after the player's level mean?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

So I keep bouncing between M+KB and controller for this game, but I can't get nobushi's hidden stance to work with the mouse. Is it really hard to do with the mouse or am I missing something obvious?

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

Internet Kraken posted:

So what does the second set of numbers after the player's level mean?

Combined level of their gear.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I have only played Raider and Berserker, the last one the most. The best one has to be Peacekeeper i think, it's soooo hard to beat a okay one and their stabs are absurdly fast. It's hard to choose a worst class, but i feel like the berserker needs something. It has a retardedly high skill requirement, but still manages to preform the worst of the 3 assassins in my very limited opinion.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
As long as they put a leave as a loss on day one (which sounds like they did for the beta) I'm not too concerned about further leaver penalties. They mostly backfill with bots instead of canceling a match in session and the bots are solid enough to keep the game going.

The PS4 Beta moved me from curious Twitch viewer to purchaser. It's right there for me in terms of depth because fighting games outpaced my age a long time ago but this seems meat and potatoes enough that I can grasp it most times.

Am I understanding the Season Pass correctly in that it gives you early access to newly released heroes and you also don't have to use ingame currency to unlock them (like the 500 credits to unlock regular heroes in the beta). And some customization stuff too. But new heroes aren't going to be real money purchases, just stuff you use ingame currency for, right?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Ape Agitator posted:

As long as they put a leave as a loss on day one (which sounds like they did for the beta) I'm not too concerned about further leaver penalties. They mostly backfill with bots instead of canceling a match in session and the bots are solid enough to keep the game going.

The PS4 Beta moved me from curious Twitch viewer to purchaser. It's right there for me in terms of depth because fighting games outpaced my age a long time ago but this seems meat and potatoes enough that I can grasp it most times.

Am I understanding the Season Pass correctly in that it gives you early access to newly released heroes and you also don't have to use ingame currency to unlock them (like the 500 credits to unlock regular heroes in the beta). And some customization stuff too. But new heroes aren't going to be real money purchases, just stuff you use ingame currency for, right?

Presumably you will be able to spend $$$ for in-game currency to buy heroes faster, but heroes should be purchasable through just playing a lot. The metric people were throwing around is 15~ hours of played time to unlock a new hero, of which there will be 2 every 3 months.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I've not run into any leavers yet, strangely enough. Everyone has been relatively polite and friendly in duels, brawls, and eliminations.

It's a surreal experience that is destroying my internet perspective.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Songbearer posted:

Holy poo poo level 3 Peacekeeper bots are loving nightmares. Went best of 99, got 12 kills to their 50, and about 3/4 of those were environmental so they really don't count. Bleed damage reeeeaaally sucks.

I decided to try this out to see how useful the practice would be and I stopped after the 8th round because I won all eight in a row and had gotten bored.

This is not a bragpost but is instead an insight into the horrors yet to befall you because I get consistently totally loving owned by Peacekeepers in-game :shepicide:

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

panda clue posted:

Presumably you will be able to spend $$$ for in-game currency to buy heroes faster, but heroes should be purchasable through just playing a lot. The metric people were throwing around is 15~ hours of played time to unlock a new hero, of which there will be 2 every 3 months.

Assuming you don't spend that stuff on gear upgrades and such.

That said, doesn't sound like much of a problem. I'm not inclined to unlock every hero in most games so I'll just bank money for awhile and see what new heroes cost.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
So I've been playing this, and I really liked the Peacemaker. I'd play her in a primarily reactive role, deflect-bleeding anybody that attacked me, then mixing in some light attacks and stuff. Over time I started noticing smarter opponents would see this reactive playstyle and stop actually attacking me, in favor of repeatedly stun breaking me...and there wasn't much that I could do about it.

Berserkers, I noticed though, had the speed to attack me from so many angles at once that I could barely get a deflection off. So I gave berserker a shot. Holy poo poo. The infinite combo is amazeballs, and they still have the amazing deflect ability that Peacemaker has, the followup attack just doesn't bleed. You can even initiate the infinite combo with the followup from deflection, or just use the deflection as an opportunity to throw them off a cliff. The infinite combo is impervious to stun blocking. Anybody that tries to use it just gets interrupted...making Berserker essentially a much better Peacemaker that attacks faster, is less susceptible to stun breaks, but does not have bleeds.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
That might be a good choice because the overabundance of Peacekeepers makes me strongly consider that No Bleeding feat. Sure it takes some time to get it but it'll pay off in a Dominion game easily.

no more books
Aug 4, 2011

Arsonide posted:

So I've been playing this, and I really liked the Peacemaker. I'd play her in a primarily reactive role, deflect-bleeding anybody that attacked me, then mixing in some light attacks and stuff. Over time I started noticing smarter opponents would see this reactive playstyle and stop actually attacking me, in favor of repeatedly stun breaking me...and there wasn't much that I could do about it.

Berserkers, I noticed though, had the speed to attack me from so many angles at once that I could barely get a deflection off. So I gave berserker a shot. Holy poo poo. The infinite combo is amazeballs, and they still have the amazing deflect ability that Peacemaker has, the followup attack just doesn't bleed. You can even initiate the infinite combo with the followup from deflection, or just use the deflection as an opportunity to throw them off a cliff. The infinite combo is impervious to stun blocking. Anybody that tries to use it just gets interrupted...making Berserker essentially a much better Peacemaker that attacks faster, is less susceptible to stun breaks, but does not have bleeds.

this makes me feel even worse since I just constantly die as zerker. Absolutely cannot figure it out. I feel like they attack slowly for some reason?

I'm gonna use everyone's favorite excuse and say I'm too old for competitive games

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

panda clue posted:

lmao this game costs over $60 american dollars and you still have to unlock most of the cast

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I would probably put Warden at the top, followed by Orochi and peacekeeper. Warden gives you a lot of control because you have crushing counterstrike for top attacks, double-hit on the side lights, and your zone attack comes out very fast with long range. Orochi has some quite good disengage and fast zone attack. Peacekeeper has good engages and the triple-stab guard break does an absurd amount of damage with no counterplay.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

I would probably put Warden at the top, followed by Orochi and peacekeeper. Warden gives you a lot of control because you have crushing counterstrike for top attacks, double-hit on the side lights, and your zone attack comes out very fast with long range. Orochi has some quite good disengage and fast zone attack. Peacekeeper has good engages and the triple-stab guard break does an absurd amount of damage with no counterplay.

Can't you just tech the guard break?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

fadam posted:

Can't you just tech the guard break?

Yes you can counter the initial guard break but once you have been guard broken, you cannot counterplay the three stabs, which will eat one-third of your health. I don't think there is another ability in the game that gives this much damage potential with this little warning and this little opportunity to counter.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The main thing ruining this game for me right now is Easy Anticheat. I absolutely cannot get the thing to gently caress off or find any consistent answer to why it freaks out sometimes and not others. Every day I basically just have to keep restarting until it stops causing problems, and then leave the program open the whole day so that I can continue to play. If I crash I'm back to Easy Anticheat hell until it, again, randomly stops causing me problems.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

OctaMurk posted:

Yes you can counter the initial guard break but once you have been guard broken, you cannot counterplay the three stabs, which will eat one-third of your health. I don't think there is another ability in the game that gives this much damage potential with this little warning and this little opportunity to counter.

Yeah, the key to beating a good zerker is to actually use your lights and be a little bit aggressive because their blocking is poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

So uh how do you find your class perks anyway

I'm playing the standard knight and haven't used and of Dungeons and dragons magical bullshit yet

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Imagine if they didn't waste any time and money on the retarded 4v4 modes and single player campaign and meta game modes and customization that nobody cares about and instead just released the 1v1 and 2v2 modes for like $40 dollars or something.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm totally ok with punishing leavers but only if they put an end to joining matches in progress. It's my God given right as an American to insta-bail on every match-in-progress I get saddled with.

Joining into a match that is 400-30 and then getting punished for leaving would be HORSE poo poo.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

fadam posted:

lmao this game costs over $60 american dollars and you still have to unlock most of the cast

unlockable characters in a fighting game? what a novel concept

the base cast also cost an absolutely trivial amount of currency. you can unlock 4 characters just by doing the tutorial, and the rest in like.. 2 hours? of play

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

fadam posted:

Imagine if they didn't waste any time and money on the retarded 4v4 modes and single player campaign and meta game modes and customization that nobody cares about and instead just released the 1v1 and 2v2 modes for like $40 dollars or something.

What an awful game

panda clue
May 23, 2014

fadam posted:

you can get the game for $48 right now

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
Guard break is absolutely ruining the game for me, i can't for the life of me get any good at counter blocking them so the majority of the time i'm just being stun locked to death in duels.

I really feel like guard break needs a slightly larger window for countering or at least a slightly more obvious animation that it's going to happen.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

panda clue posted:

unlockable characters in a fighting game? what a novel concept

It doesn't take fifteen hours to play through the arcade mode of a fighting game, friend, and they all start with more than three characters unlocked lmao.

Gaj posted:

What an awful game

Yeah, that's why they should have done what I said.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

fadam posted:

It doesn't take fifteen hours to play through the arcade mode of a fighting game, friend, and they all start with more than three characters unlocked lmao.

Yea, most fighting games release new characters and force you to pay $5 to be able to unlock them, and give no option to get them through gameplay at all. The 15 hours to unlock a character is for post-launch characters that are released in expansions; you're conflating them with the base cast, of which only require a few hours to unlock the entire roster. Sorry for the confusion.

offering a way to unlock DLC characters for free is pretty cool imo

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ohsosad posted:

Guard break is absolutely ruining the game for me, i can't for the life of me get any good at counter blocking them so the majority of the time i'm just being stun locked to death in duels.

I really feel like guard break needs a slightly larger window for countering or at least a slightly more obvious animation that it's going to happen.

Have you tried mashing the counter-break like a spaz? Because that works for me.

Also, I'm getting better at this game but good lord do I suck.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Yeah, counter guard break seemed incredibly button mash friendly during the tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

ohsosad posted:

Just attack? If you are in any sort of wind up for a light or heavy attack their guard break does nothing. It's truly only a gaurd break, not a throw or grapple.

I also gave up on trying to time counter guard breaks.