Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

ransome posted:

he did it

miracles are real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah but you can tell this is fake and screened last year because it shows me playing Marvel Heroes 2016. I mean, heh, it's 2017 y'all...

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
It's obviously fake because if he were actually in he wouldn't have let an illiterate moron like me green muscle when they only really needed one more person.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Ok so BIF is pretty cool and cosmic ultron terminal is really really good at filling up that bar fast in addition to being good farming

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Yeah, i like the new mechanic quite a bit. At least until i run out of vouchers to 5X stack the buff.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Are any of the the exchanges actually worth it? I only had a quick glance but rif/sif garbage aside they don't look like it

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mover posted:

Ok so BIF is pretty cool and cosmic ultron terminal is really really good at filling up that bar fast in addition to being good farming

What the hell is BIF for someone who doesn't read patch notes?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Hauki posted:

So, they've been planning a move from Rare Item Find and Special Item Find, which were percent increases to drop rates that were already like .0002 and so not very effective, to a system called Bonus Item Find.

Bonus Item Find boosts trigger a bar that you fill by killing lots and lots of mobs, especially elites. When you fill that bar, you get a guaranteed lootsplosion that typically has a boss artifact, a rare cosmetic artifact or spray, bunch of uniques, sometimes a pet, really a ton of stuff. Sometimes great, sometimes just good. There's also a very very small chance for cosmic artis, but you're still way better off farming a specific boss. So the best thing to do is high mob-density cosmic content like Cosmic Ultron term where there are lots of elites and a boss whose cosmic arti you want.

Stacking them increases duration and how quickly the bar fills. With 5 boosts stacked, I usually can fill the bar in one Cosmic Ultron terminal.

There are vendors in Avengers tower that will let you exchange old boosts for new ones, and they've reworked all fortune cards (including the ones you can buy from Clea with ingame currency).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Hauki posted:

It's the topic of half the patch notes and a big enough change to the game that you should just read them.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
The patch notes say you can only get BIF with a pay/card potion is that true

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Pretty sure you can get them from the fortune cards you get with cube shards.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

The boosts are also login rewards at times like the old ones.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

The Infernal Warskrull / cultists wave in CHT also fills the BIF bar crazy fast. I always get at least 2 boxes from one wave and usually get 3 at 5 stacks of the boost. Definitely something screwy there but mow down those cultists while it lasts.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

malhavok posted:

Pretty sure you can get them from the fortune cards you get with cube shards.

Thats why I said they're cards too

Just doesn't feel good to gain nothing without it

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Mover posted:

So, they've been planning a move from Rare Item Find and Special Item Find, which were percent increases to drop rates that were already like .0002 and so not very effective, to a system called Bonus Item Find.

Bonus Item Find boosts trigger a bar that you fill by killing lots and lots of mobs, especially elites. When you fill that bar, you get a guaranteed lootsplosion that typically has a boss artifact, a rare cosmetic artifact or spray, bunch of uniques, sometimes a pet, really a ton of stuff. Sometimes great, sometimes just good. There's also a very very small chance for cosmic artis, but you're still way better off farming a specific boss. So the best thing to do is high mob-density cosmic content like Cosmic Ultron term where there are lots of elites and a boss whose cosmic arti you want.

Stacking them increases duration and how quickly the bar fills. With 5 boosts stacked, I usually can fill the bar in one Cosmic Ultron terminal.

There are vendors in Avengers tower that will let you exchange old boosts for new ones, and they've reworked all fortune cards (including the ones you can buy from Clea with ingame currency).

This sounds suspiciously like Nephilim Valor from vanilla Diablo III.

That was not a good game mechanic. Not. At. All.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Cool, cause this system is nothing like that.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Good news for people who have been struggling to Ultron since summoners all died, he's fun again with a brutal build! Added bonus, you can wear a Power Cosmic while you try it out instead of having to kick in for a Nullifier.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Thats why I said they're cards too

Just doesn't feel good to gain nothing without it

Asros pretty much said that loot explosions you get from the new boost system is aimmed more towards new players or players looking to gear up their other heroes. Since you can also get random costumes and hero tokens from the loot explosions too, seems to make sense.

Pretty sure he also said that they won't be adding end-game boss items to it, at least any time soon.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

It's more an experience bar except when you fill it up you get a satisfying spurt of loot instead of a level.

Also, their decision to let you roll the duration of 5 stacks of potion with 1 is so calculated.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

madcow posted:

Pretty sure he also said that they won't be adding end-game boss items to it, at least any time soon.

I've gotten a Sabretooth's Furry Mane and Doomsday Chair and I forget what other boss items from mine so far.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

It's more an experience bar except when you fill it up you get a satisfying spurt of loot instead of a level.

Also, their decision to let you roll the duration of 5 stacks of potion with 1 is so calculated.

Ah, like the Valentine's thing that's going on? That sounds good, thanks for the info!

On a side note, gyat-DANG I can't get enough of Squirrel Girl. Her DPS might not be so hot but her voice acting is god-tier and tournament banned. I've learned more about nuts and squirrels since playing her than I have in my many years on this Earth.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Lozareth posted:

I've gotten a Sabretooth's Furry Mane and Doomsday Chair and I forget what other boss items from mine so far.

Maybe I am mistaken then or maybe he just meant like cosmic and beyond.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The only bad thing about Squirrel Girl is they're really dragging the chain on costumes

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Really can't wait for Girl Squirrel.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

On a side note, gyat-DANG I can't get enough of Squirrel Girl. Her DPS might not be so hot but her voice acting is god-tier and tournament banned. I've learned more about nuts and squirrels since playing her than I have in my many years on this Earth.

"Sister Minister" might be my favorite. We need a Doreen version of :allears:.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Kokoro Wish posted:

Really can't wait for Girl Squirrel.

More like Koi Boi and Chipmunk Hunk. And Cat Thor.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Okay, I think I played maybe a year ago, what's new this time?

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

All of the heroes and how you gear them

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mover posted:

Cool, thanks for the explanation. I guess I'll try some cosmic ultrons then.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How does this compare to Path of Exile? Sort of similar, not even remotely the same, what? I need an ARPG to scratch an itch apparently, and PoE's worn thin.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

How does this compare to Path of Exile? Sort of similar, not even remotely the same, what? I need an ARPG to scratch an itch apparently, and PoE's worn thin.

Significantly easier, characters have clearer identities, and there are a whole lot more of them.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
We did an arpg raid yesterday and it was fun and easy. it will probably never happen again.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Game is currently undergoing a series of changes where they are overhauling the core systems of the game. Basically, they have streamlined a lot of things like the hero skills, talents and are redoing the itemization. They also re-did how movement/dashes work, so you will probably see a fair amount of people bitching about that, but don't put much stock in the complaints, just people resistant to change.

There is no hardcore mode in this game, you aren't required to use a loot filter, or run the story 2.5 times over to level up your character. There are more ways to level up your character than just slogging through the story, however the story is generally the fastest method these days.

Making builds, is a lot simpler than PoE, but there are also 50+ heroes of varying archetypes, so you get a decent amount of variety and they are adding more heroes over time.

There isn't much of a trading economy in this game, especially when compared to PoE. You can trade a limited number of things, but your progression won't be hindered like it is in PoE, if you don't.

The map system in PoE is leagues better than the equivalent system in this game (Danger Room), but PoE's maps have also had a lot more iteration since they came out. Danger Room hasn't really had much done to it since it came out, although they have said they would like to do more. Having said that, most people tend to grind patrol modes these days for end-game items. There are also boss terminals and some other game modes for end game item drops, not to mention a rotation of in-game events.

Anyways, if you are a new player, you will find there is lots to do and figure out. Most of us here probably have over 1000 hours in the game.

Only thing you really have to spend money on eventually is stash space, like in PoE, but things like heroes you can grind out for free or buy in the store, if that is your thing.

Game is F2P, so if arpgs are your thing and you enjoy the Marvel IP, definitely worth checking out. If you decide to do so, let us know your in-game name and we can invite you to the "supergroup".

madcow fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 12, 2017

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Want to play Ultron even though Summoners are dead? Want to see big red numbers? Want to have a fairly smooth rotation on a character who will benefit immensely from the animation-cancel patch?

Here comes a special boy!

T1: The other talents are useless for you, so you take the bonus rez.
T2: You may think "but I want to use Energy Overload more! why wouldn't I take the reset?" Because it is a trap. EO 0s out your Power so you don't get anything from being able to back-to-back it. Getting a decent burst cooldown out of Encephalo Beam is better.
T3: Mandatory. Operation:Smash always bruts. Now you can do it twice as 200% damage. Operation:Smash is life.
T4: Mandatory. Converts Power into autocrit damage in a fat line. It is delicious.
T5: More sigs would be nice, but you know what's nicer? Effectively-a-layer with the pulse damage, + burst resource regen means you can use all your other powers and still get back to Power cap right as EO comes off cooldown.

Probably could stand to play around with legendaries more, but 1500 DR and +2 all feels pretty nice. Siege Targeting SEEMS like it's suboptimal compared to a GoK or something but still fiddling with it. If you hit LMB between cooldowns, you'll eventually, inevitably stack and maintain the DR buff from Book. The Area damage + Energy from Cyke shirt is great. The general stats (this is a +3 Energy credentials) + stacking BDR are decent on those Crossbones Creds.

Rotation: Hold LMB, open with a dash through something random to proc your Power Doop's phys component (you'll have gotten the energy one off your basic). Apply vuln with RMB, jump in. Energy Overload will fire off a full Power shot by the time it activates (between the animation + the jump). Operation: Irradiate to get the pulse + regen. Sig when everything's back up for the buff, do it again. Now keep doing it. Enjoy always getting a big fat red number burst when you jump, and more often than not getting an even bigger burst from EO.

UPDATE Everything above still applies, except if you're a rich post-raider throw on a Fragment of Twilight and Essence of Jinn and watch your stupidly large numbers get even stupider and larger.

Chernobyl Peace Prize fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 12, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks for the words. Looks like I played it at some point, since I have 3 hours on record, so we'll see what I have.

Are there any serious business end-game challenges the likes of The Shaper and Uber Atziri? Not necessarily like one-shot mechanic-a-thons, just endgame-y stuff more substantial than the Greater Rift analogue.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Have you tried Ultron with twilight fragment instead of saw? Only reason I suggest it is because of him having a low ratio of autocrit stuff, along with that strong autobrut crashdown that saw doesn't do anything for either.

twifrag will push that crashdown much higher, be a great dps boost for regular powers, and probably only a bit behind saw for the crit laser since you aren't using nullifier.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks for the words. Looks like I played it at some point, since I have 3 hours on record, so we'll see what I have.

Are there any serious business end-game challenges the likes of The Shaper and Uber Atziri? Not necessarily like one-shot mechanic-a-thons, just endgame-y stuff more substantial than the Greater Rift analogue.

There really isn't anything like Atziri or Shaper at the moment, nothing where you have to farm pop items or have fights as involved as Shaper.

End game is mostly one of several patrol modes, maybe one of the 2-3 10 man raids if you haven't burned out on those, some boss terminals and 5 man Ultron game mode. They have really tried to make it so you have a wide variety of way/modes to farm items rather than being stuck farming the same game mode over and over. Having said that, I think people spend most of their time in the patrol zones after a while.

In the past, most of the game has been pretty face roll easy once you get enough gear, however they recently removed a lot of things that made it so easy (e.g. invulnerability bubble with medikits and infinite, instant dashing). They also overhauled the difficulty curve, so things are more challenging than they used to be. You can no longer sit and face tank stuff on cosmic difficulty like you used to be able to on most heroes, you actually have to dodge, change up your build, etc. now. Even heroic difficulty on the story presents a challenge these days, if you try it while leveling.

They also added a new difficulty slider with the hero/movement overhaul, which will eventually lead to omega difficulties/items when they implement that later in the year. The whole idea being similar to the way D3 was or is, wherein you get better rewards with the higher difficulties and omega items being the new end game items to farm for. Omega items are supposed to allow for more interesting itemization than what we have now with uniques being the end game, but we are all just kind of waiting and seeing how those turn out.

So yeah, cosmic difficulty is currently the highest, which takes a decent amount of gear. I wouldn't say any of the boss fights are particularly challenging though once you are geared, mostly just stay out of red kind of thing.

I think, most us are hoping the changes they have made recently to movement, hero abilities, etc. will lead to more interesting content down the line, but no way to know definitively.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Apparently I'm the Human Torch and I'm level 12. How do I see the hero list/change heroes?

Actually, is it possible to just entirely reset my account? I'm 99% sure I haven't bought anything, and I'd like to redo whatever tutorializing the game has.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Want to play Ultron even though Summoners are dead? Want to see big red numbers? Want to have a fairly smooth rotation on a character who will benefit immensely from the animation-cancel patch?

Here comes a special boy!

T1: The other talents are useless for you, so you take the bonus rez.
T2: You may think "but I want to use Energy Overload more! why wouldn't I take the reset?" Because it is a trap. EO 0s out your Power so you don't get anything from being able to back-to-back it. Getting a decent burst cooldown out of Encephalo Beam is better.
T3: Mandatory. Operation:Smash always bruts. Now you can do it twice as 200% damage. Operation:Smash is life.
T4: Mandatory. Converts Power into autocrit damage in a fat line. It is delicious.
T5: More sigs would be nice, but you know what's nicer? Effectively-a-layer with the pulse damage, + burst resource regen means you can use all your other powers and still get back to Power cap right as EO comes off cooldown.

Probably could stand to play around with legendaries more, but 1500 DR and +2 all feels pretty nice. Siege Targeting SEEMS like it's suboptimal compared to a GoK or something but still fiddling with it. If you hit LMB between cooldowns, you'll eventually, inevitably stack and maintain the DR buff from Book. The Area damage + Energy from Cyke shirt is great. The general stats (this is a +3 Energy credentials) + stacking BDR are decent on those Crossbones Creds.

Rotation: Hold LMB, open with a dash through something random to proc your Power Doop's phys component (you'll have gotten the energy one off your basic). Apply vuln with RMB, jump in. Energy Overload will fire off a full Power shot by the time it activates (between the animation + the jump). Operation: Irradiate to get the pulse + regen. Sig when everything's back up for the buff, do it again. Now keep doing it. Enjoy always getting a big fat red number burst when you jump, and more often than not getting an even bigger burst from EO.

I just got ultron from the random hero over christmas/new years or whatever, what's your insignia/medallion? I also don't recognize the left two artifacts off-hand, dunno if I have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

^^^That's Siege's Targeting System (story reward boxes or ARMOR currency) and The Book of Demonicus (Dr Strange Event)

T is the default button to display the hero list.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 12, 2017