Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Haven't played in a while, and I'm probably going to jump back in regardless, but I figured I might as well ask, is inventory management still a headache without the crafting bag? Is Plus still always worth getting over raw crowns? How affordable are homes, REALLY, if you don't want to spend crowns?

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradybunch
Jun 14, 2006

There are guild traders which are like an AH. The chat in major city zones and rawl'kha (reapers march) usually have people selling things.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Could I get a guild invite for @Kodaxx please?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Scyantific posted:

There are mods that show you when to stop depressing the pins when picking locks

What's a reliable mod site for this?

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
use Minion from http://www.esoui.com/addons.php and you can add mods within the program

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

CuddlyZombie posted:

Haven't played in a while, and I'm probably going to jump back in regardless, but I figured I might as well ask, is inventory management still a headache without the crafting bag?

Yes. But I've played Earthbound, so doing without the crafting bag never felt like a huge deal to me. :v:

CuddlyZombie posted:

Is Plus still always worth getting over raw crowns?

1500 crowns is $15, and a month's subscription + 1500 crowns is $15. I wouldn't buy raw crowns unless there's a sale.

CuddlyZombie posted:

How affordable are homes, REALLY, if you don't want to spend crowns?

You can afford a medium home if you spend a significant amount of time stealing/grinding for gold and aren't short on bag/bank space in the meantime—so, definitely not if you're just starting out. I didn't have the patience to get all the way there myself, but I could have done it. Anything larger is not feasible without spending crowns.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 12, 2017

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
Sorry I meant to ask how do i sell motifs and recipes and stuff. I'm on my phone

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

HardKase posted:

Sorry I meant to ask how do i sell motifs and recipes and stuff. I'm on my phone

You have to belong to a guild that has successfully bid on a guild trader. It's a really loving stupid system.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ragle posted:

use Minion from http://www.esoui.com/addons.php and you can add mods within the program

Neato. Is this a good addon to have? http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1127-SmarterAutoLootS.A.L..html

Is this the right lockpick addon or is there a better one? http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info909-FCOLockpicker.html

Umm, how does this minion addon work? I opened it and there's just a big + button, tried using it to pick the folder I put the lockpick addon in but nothing happened.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 12, 2017

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Goons rock, and I'd like to give a special shout-out to Aramek and GamerGhoul for hooking me up with two leveling sets. I'm now on cruise control to CP160 and I feel like an angry god killing poo poo with my magblade. Thanks!

Also, if you're thinking of jumping in the community is pretty great, and not just the goons in the guild. I've played my fair share of MMOs and this seems to be the overall most friendly community. Every PUG dungeon I've had so far has been super nice (if not overly competent) people. Even the randoms I've run into in public dungeons have stopped and given pointers on efficient farming routes and offered to let me tag along on their route. Disclaimer: Does not apply to zone chat (aka Trumpchat).

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
ESO seems to encourage this by design in that it gives players remarkably few opportunities to be an rear end in a top hat. Outside of people swooping in to nab a chest when you're fighting the enemy directly in front of it, or running past you to mine ore a quarter of a second before you get to it (seriously, why), my experiences with other players have been almost all positive. Also I haven't done any PVP outside of the occasional duel, so that probably helps.

I had a lot of fun doing Old Orsinium the other day, occasionally teaming up with various players as we crossed each other's paths. The dungeon boss likes to play hard-to-get in a room full of fire traps, and I got to help a highly flammable vampire take him down.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

They do it because the moderation team has nearly zero tolerance towards griefing to the point where they will literally monitor guild/party/private tells in order to throw bans around.

But fixing PvP exploits? "NO ETA" - Matt Firor

E: Case in point - PvP invisibility bug. Something that would have required a secondary maintenance to fix, not gettin done until next weekly maint.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 12, 2017

vorpal
Dec 31, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

ESO seems to encourage this by design in that it gives players remarkably few opportunities to be an rear end in a top hat. Outside of people swooping in to nab a chest when you're fighting the enemy directly in front of it, or running past you to mine ore a quarter of a second before you get to it (seriously, why), my experiences with other players have been almost all positive. Also I haven't done any PVP outside of the occasional duel, so that probably helps.

I had a lot of fun doing Old Orsinium the other day, occasionally teaming up with various players as we crossed each other's paths. The dungeon boss likes to play hard-to-get in a room full of fire traps, and I got to help a highly flammable vampire take him down.

Do not try and step to a farmer on their route. Just do it back to them.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
I love elder scrolls and Bethesda games but I never even tried this game when it was a thing. I just didn't see how the free, open, screw around world that is the theme of their games could be adapted into an MMO.

How is it holding up?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Honestly I hated it at launch, thought it'd die within a year but it's now my favorite Elder Scrolls since Morrowind.

If you can get over the fact that everyone else is running around "as the chosen one" and the fact that a sword to the face won't kill someone in 2-3 hits because this is a MMO, I'd say go for it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Yeah, as much as I'm praising this as the only MMO I've ever genuinely liked, I probably would've hated it at launch too. It's only once I finished the main story and got the no longer relevant spiel that now I can start over to experience the story from another perspective that it really started to sink in how wrongheaded their whole approach to the game was before One Tamriel. I had to have goons explain the whole silver and gold zones thing to me, and how the hell did anyone ever think that was a good idea?!

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I'm also someone who never liked MMOs, but has completely fallen in love with ESO. I'm a pretty big Elder Scroll nerd but I avoided ESO because A) MMO and B) bad word of mouth at launch. I decided to try it though after hearing that it had fixed a lot of stuff and had a lot of single player content; I'm glad I did and it might indeed be my favorite ES game to date.

However, when I hear how it was before the One Tamriel update I feel that it's a minor miracle that it survived this long. Having to wait until Level 50 to finish the main quest/get the gently caress out of your alliance zone sounds/no level scaling sounds like it was a super lovely experience.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Rollersnake posted:

Yeah, as much as I'm praising this as the only MMO I've ever genuinely liked, I probably would've hated it at launch too. It's only once I finished the main story and got the no longer relevant spiel that now I can start over to experience the story from another perspective that it really started to sink in how wrongheaded their whole approach to the game was before One Tamriel. I had to have goons explain the whole silver and gold zones thing to me, and how the hell did anyone ever think that was a good idea?!

The game at launch would have been a cutting-edge (or at least on the high end of decent) MMO in ~2009, when it started development. Problem was, it launched in 2014 and nobody wanted that poo poo anymore.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Ixjuvin posted:

The game at launch would have been a cutting-edge (or at least on the high end of decent) MMO in ~2009, when it started development. Problem was, it launched in 2014 and nobody wanted that poo poo anymore.

A lot like The old Republic then. By the time it launched it was ripping off WoW. Except it was ripping off burning crusade era WoW and WoW itself had been refined greatly from what bioware was copying.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I have only ever played two MMOs; Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies. I played this when it came out and put a lot of time in because I love ES weird lore. Once I had to start paying, though, I dropped it pretty quick.

Like most people have said, it's a lot better now than at launch. I still dislike the MMOness of it - combat especially - though it's still better than most in that regard. In a weird way it reminds me a lot of Morrowind's combat and world physics.

Now I'm back in and have put 300+ hours in. Goons are awesome to play with and the community is pretty good. It's really good if you want to soak in tons of ES lore (only a tiny bit of which is dubious - looking at you time travel and elf controlling helmet).

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

TESO works for me because it's peripherally an MMO, but you can play it as a big huge RPG. 1T means you can go wherever seems fitting for your character and still be progressing, and the world is alive and busy. It does a better job of reconciling the "everyone is the hero" thing than, say, WoW (imo) because lot of that is solo content and you don't have to engage with much it.

It helps that the gameplay is snappy and tight - having no cooldowns means I'm deciding what I need to do and then hitting it, not casting a spell because it's off CD.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Overemotional Robot posted:

Now I'm back in and have put 300+ hours in. Goons are awesome to play with and the community is pretty good. It's really good if you want to soak in tons of ES lore (only a tiny bit of which is dubious - looking at you time travel and elf controlling helmet).

Time travel werewolf hunt was actually good.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

I just mean that it took the lore in a direction that the rest of the series hasn't gone. Felt a little out of place to me.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost
I never actually finished Skyrim but im like 95% certain that there are time shenanigans in that game

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
The plot of Skyrim is literally a dragon got sent forward in time.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Luchadork posted:

I could never finish the main story since it was bugged to hell, even with console command fuckery. I love playing it though, being an archer or melee character is so fun. Magic wielding was clunky as gently caress though.

So...how do you install addons for this game?

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Luchadork posted:

Spoiler! I haven't finished Skyrim yet!

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Yes, but you don't go back in time and then change the present. So there!

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
The more I read about Elder Scrolls lore, the more I realize it doesn't matter.

Doesn't CHIM and C0DA explain how every playthrough is canon, even with mods and the player using the console to God mode and noclip? TES lore is weird.

I really like the whole "each plane of existence is a different planet" thing so when you use things like Gates of Oblivion, you're doing space travel (which they actually did during the first age while colonizing the moons of Nirn).

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 13, 2017

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Time travel happens in Elder Scrolls, hell I think they've hinted that if they want to reset everything it's a prophecy in one of the scrolls to do so and it involves time travel.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

got any sevens posted:

Umm, how does this minion addon work? I opened it and there's just a big + button, tried using it to pick the folder I put the lockpick addon in but nothing happened.

Try running it as an administrator. I just tried to set it up and was running into this issue. Closed it and ran as admin and it fixed it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
One more thing about the lore, Pete Hines responded to a tweet regarding inconsistencies in Fallout 4 such as putting Jet in a vault that had been sealed for hundreds of years basically saying "who cares, it's a video game". If they don't care about lore, why does anyone else?

The only person that cares about The Elder Scrolls lore is Kirkbride and he was fired for locking himself in his office and doing hallucinogenic drugs while creating the lore for Morrowi-I mean "left the company amicably".

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
In this game, the fact that we're this soulless "vestige" is the in universe reason we can respawn.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Azubah posted:

Time travel happens in Elder Scrolls, hell I think they've hinted that if they want to reset everything it's a prophecy in one of the scrolls to do so and it involves time travel.

Particularly speaking, each of the continents on Nirn is a different kalpa/time era, with Akavir representing the future.

Generic Hero Dude
Dec 22, 2011
Looking for an invite whenever someone has the chance. @a_pigeon

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Alexander DeLarge posted:

One more thing about the lore, Pete Hines responded to a tweet regarding inconsistencies in Fallout 4 such as putting Jet in a vault that had been sealed for hundreds of years basically saying "who cares, it's a video game". If they don't care about lore, why does anyone else?

The only person that cares about The Elder Scrolls lore is Kirkbride and he was fired for locking himself in his office and doing hallucinogenic drugs while creating the lore for Morrowi-I mean "left the company amicably".

Bethsoft is an entirely different studio duder, and Fallout is a different IP, so :confused: also there is a guy whos entire actual job is basically stopping devs from loving with the lore too much. And that is aside from the fact that Elder Scrolls lore is already subjective and mutable on purpose.

Bustycops
Mar 3, 2010

Sup Lads
I kinda wish ZOS would embrace the shenanigans.

Reading about all the Petty Kingdoms was the best part about the books in Skyrim because those books were full of all kinds of craziness like Dark Elfs ruling Wayrest or Black Marsh invading Cyrodiil.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
ES lore is actually pretty insane and in-depth, like approaching Tolkien levels of "who gives this much of a gently caress about elves", but it's also batshit crazy too. It's part of the charm, IMO.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I thought the gimmicky drug names in Fallout 3+ was just placeholders. Because naming them after real drugs would have led the game to being banned in some countries. I know Jet is brahmin farts but it's supposed to be a makeshift version of some other drug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Dejawesp posted:

I thought the gimmicky drug names in Fallout 3+ was just placeholders. Because naming them after real drugs would have led the game to being banned in some countries. I know Jet is brahmin farts but it's supposed to be a makeshift version of some other drug.

Jet was established in Fallout 2 as being some sort of new drug IIRC so people got mad when it was in a vault and they had emails talking about shipments.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Jet