Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

I am a big fan of how strong the continuity for the mainline Conan comic was. Any time anything like an elephant would show up, Conan would remember the disturbing events of Tower of the Elephant. It really drove home the power of that story and how it played a part in shaping Conan's worldview.

Savage sword jumped around Conan's life and had more standalone stories, and Conan always wore just a loincloth instead of the armor he had in the original books. I mean, both are good approaches to this kinda stuff, and Savage Sword could really cut loose with the sex and violence, but I do appreciate some continuity.

Where is a good place to start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I remember reading the Dark Horse? Adaptations of Conan and them being pretty drat good.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Busiek wrote a bunch and I haven't gotten to them yet, but Busiek is always good.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

The Tower of the Elephant is such a cool loving story and got me hooked immediately.
It has to have been more than 30 years since I read that. If I'm remembering right this is during the Conan the Master Thief times and he's trying to steal a fabled gem(?) from a sorcerer. Such a great story.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dark Horse did King Conan, which adapts The Hour of the Dragon and is great. Actually, almost the whole Dark Horse Conan series is great.

flosofl posted:

It has to have been more than 30 years since I read that. If I'm remembering right this is during the Conan the Master Thief times and he's trying to steal a fabled gem(?) from a sorcerer. Such a great story.

"Conan is trying to steal a huge gem" is usually a good bet.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

bobkatt013 posted:

Where is a good place to start?

The original Marvel Savage Sword started off by adapting every bit of Howard's Conan they could lay their hands on, and over time ended up with original stories, as well as re-telling some of the more popular ones from earlier issues, not to mention adding other characters like Kull and Red Sonja.

The Dark Horse run (Busiek & others) re-adapts Howard again, but adds a lot of other plot and is more of an ongoing coherent story instead of random tales from a variety of times.

I'd say do both, but I'm insane that's what I did.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is there an easy way to get at the Marvel Conan comics? Like, is it on their unlimited service or comixology?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Unlucky7 posted:

Is there an easy way to get at the Marvel Conan comics? Like, is it on their unlimited service or comixology?

Marvel doesn't have the rights to them anymore so no. I think Dark Horse does reprint trades. There's a ton of them though, like over 30. And that's just the main series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Conan the Barbarian is best read from the start, while Savage Sword's more self-contained mag nature means you can jump in anywhere more easily. Savage Sword retells some Conan the Barbarian stories, with cleaner art (due to being B&W in an era where color printing was pretty sketchy) and more guts and boobs, as well as tales not covered in the regular comic. The mag also features stories starring Solomon Kane*, Red Sonja, Kull the Conqueror, and random-rear end sword and sorcery nobodies. There's also articles, poems by Howard, and other miscellaneous content to justify calling it a "magazine" (and thus not subject to the comics code). A fair amount of the stories told in both publications are either original stories or adaptations of material that had little to do with Conan, but unless you're some kind of scholar of Robert E. Howard's work, you'll never really know, since Roy Thomas adapts it all seamlessly. Both titles takes a pretty big dip in quality once Michael Fleisher replaces Roy Thomas as writer, but it's not like he's complete garbage. He's just not nearly as good at sincere purple prose and tends towards the obnoxiously punny. Conan the Barbarian eventually becomes King Conan once Conan finally gets crowned.

If you're a completionist, the publications are probably best read in parallel, since that gives you both the mature and often better-drawn side of things as well as the stronger continuity and character arc. One publication informs the other.

One thing worth noting is that Savage Sword tends towards rape and rapey situations a lot more than Conan The Barbarian. It's also got a lot of embarrassing pinups and "quirky" short stories about Red Sonja, and is where her terrible revised origin was originally published. Oh, and while Roy Thomas probably deserves some kind of award for cleaning up most of the racism from the original material so well, some of it still occasionally comes up and man, is it ugly. There's this one story about Solomon Kane* fighting African vampires and, ugh.

*I keep wanting to call him Garrison Cade

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 12, 2017

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

There's this one story about Solomon Kane* fighting African vampires and, ugh.

Isn't that the one where he cries out in fury cuz he couldn't save the African village they attacked, though? Lovecraft was super racist for his day, but Howard was just an average racist of his day, which is technically an improvement!

I actually like Solomon Kane even better than I do Conan. He's basically a sword & sorcery superhero. There's one story where he spent IIRC years tracking down one rear end in a top hat who killed a girl.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

What about the claw guy? Wasn't he called Klaw, or the crimson claw or some poo poo? Being a scrawny rear end kid, I used to hate muscle guys. I even lumped in Thor as "Conan with a hammer." Which would actually be really rad. Kids!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Isn't that the one where he cries out in fury cuz he couldn't save the African village they attacked, though?

No, that's a different story, and that story completely rules.

Open Marriage Night posted:

What about the claw guy? Wasn't he called Klaw, or the crimson claw or some poo poo? Being a scrawny rear end kid, I used to hate muscle guys. I even lumped in Thor as "Conan with a hammer." Which would actually be really rad. Kids!

You're thinking of Claw the Unconquered, an original DC creation that was very obviously intended to compete with Marvel's Conan books.

Can't say I know much about him, I read maybe 2 issues in my life.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 13, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My OC Clawnan the barbarian, please do not copy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Synthbuttrange posted:

The comic book industry used to be a lot more shameless.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Even Bethesda knew to give their fake joke Conan ripoff different colored hair.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 13, 2017

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Open Marriage Night posted:

It's not his primary weapon, but the main character of Wolfskin carries a war mallet. It's pretty brutal when he uses it, actually that whole series is competing in some sort of violence Olympics.

Wolfskin Hundredth Dream #1

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I can't follow that page at all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Their activities are so poorly-conveyed.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Mustache is so bad at dabbing he knocks himself over, then the leader of those aggressive trick or treaters holds a sack to his ear to hear the ocean, only to have the sack explosively transform into a mallet. Seems pretty easy to read to me guys. :v:

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
Since this seems to be a page for Badass Barbarians, I'll wave the flag for my favourites, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.

As written by the incomparable Fritz Leiber, and published from the late 40s thru to the mid 60s, they were a couple of swaggering rogues who fought, looted and boozed their way around the well-realized fantasy world of Nerewhon. Their best quality - compared to solitary stoics like Conan - was their unbreakable friendship, or their constant bickering rivalry. The original stories were an inspiration for later authors, especially contemporary nerd favourites Terry Pratchett and George RR Martin. They're a must-read for any serious fan of fantasy adventure fiction.

Comic adaptations have been a mixed bag; they first showed up in Wonder Woman, as written by Chip Delaney (and featuring Catwoman for whatever reason) then got their own book, Sword of Sorcery. Later, Howard Chaykin and Mike Mignola adapted the same few stories. Leiber's slightly purple prose and snappy dialogue doesn't translate too well to panel pages, but the early Mignola art is still nice, and the series is worth a look if you see it floating around. Badass exploits depicted include Fafrhd and Mouser fighting a living tower, malicious interdimensional shopkeepers, a giant squid, and each other about six times.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mousepractice posted:

Since this seems to be a page for Badass Barbarians, I'll wave the flag for my favourites, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.

As written by the incomparable Fritz Leiber, and published from the late 40s thru to the mid 60s, they were a couple of swaggering rogues who fought, looted and boozed their way around the well-realized fantasy world of Nerewhon. Their best quality - compared to solitary stoics like Conan - was their unbreakable friendship, or their constant bickering rivalry. The original stories were an inspiration for later authors, especially contemporary nerd favourites Terry Pratchett and George RR Martin. They're a must-read for any serious fan of fantasy adventure fiction.

Comic adaptations have been a mixed bag; they first showed up in Wonder Woman, as written by Chip Delaney (and featuring Catwoman for whatever reason) then got their own book, Sword of Sorcery. Later, Howard Chaykin and Mike Mignola adapted the same few stories. Leiber's slightly purple prose and snappy dialogue doesn't translate too well to panel pages, but the early Mignola art is still nice, and the series is worth a look if you see it floating around. Badass exploits depicted include Fafrhd and Mouser fighting a living tower, malicious interdimensional shopkeepers, a giant squid, and each other about six times.

I always wanted to read those stories, but never got around to it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I only ever read one Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser when I was quite young (I think it was in an anthology of some sort) and I remember really enjoying it.

I must have been quite young though because I remember thinking for some reason that GM was literally a mouse and it was some kind of Secret of NIMH style story, except I couldn't figure out what animal Fafhrd was supposed to be :sweatdrop:

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

The Bleak Shore is still one of my favorite short stories.

quote:

Fafhrd might have laughed, but did not. The Mouser had a witty rejoinder on the tip of his tongue, but instead he heard himself saying: "In what words might death call?"

"That would depend," said the small man. "He might look at two such as you and say the Bleak Shore. Nothing more than that. The Bleak Shore. And when he said it three times you would have to go."

This time Fafhrd tried to laugh, but the laugh never came. Both of them could only meet the gaze of the small man with the white, bulging forehead, stare stupidly into his cold, cavernous eyes. Around them the tavern roared with mirth at some jest. A drunken guardsman was bellowing a song. The gamblers called impatiently to the Mouser to stake his next wager. A giggling woman in red and gold stumbled past the small, pale man, almost brushing away the black cowl that covered his pate. But he did not move. And Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser continued to stare—fascinatedly, helplessly—into his chill, black eyes, which now seemed to them twin tunnels leading into a far and evil distance. Something deeper than fear gripped them in iron paralysis. The tavern became faint and soundless, as if viewed through many thicknesses of glass. They saw only the eyes and what lay beyond the eyes, something desolate, dreary, and deadly.

"The Bleak Shore," he repeated.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Fafhrd and Gray Mouser was sending up sword & sorcery clichés even in the in 1940s. There's one where they discover they've been cursed by an evil wizard and Fafhrd just rolls his eyes and says "Again?"

Rogues is basically Fafhrd and Gray Mouser with a female Mouser:

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I only ever read one Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser when I was quite young (I think it was in an anthology of some sort) and I remember really enjoying it.

I must have been quite young though because I remember thinking for some reason that GM was literally a mouse and it was some kind of Secret of NIMH style story, except I couldn't figure out what animal Fafhrd was supposed to be :sweatdrop:

There was at least one story where Mouser had to magically shrink down to rat size to infiltrate a hidden rat empire beneath the city, so that may have been a pretty honest mistake. I think there was even an affair with a beautiful rat princess involved!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
So uh, we're all just going to ignore the third rogue in those pages then? Okay.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Choco1980 posted:

So uh, we're all just going to ignore the third rogue in those pages then? Okay.

Just looks like a normal rouge in a business suit to me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Sesquiculus posted:

The Bleak Shore is still one of my favorite short stories.

Goddamn that's some good writing.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
"Freddy" and "Mouse" show up in Fables (first issue of the Dark Ages storyline, just after the big fight vs. the Adversary).

It does not end well.

(click for large)

"Yeah, I ride a mammoth, gotta problem with it?"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Retro Futurist posted:

Just looks like a normal rouge in a business suit to me.

Well yeah, I was just pointing out that we were talking about a pair of rogues when they were obviously a trio.

Also in the game Enter the Gungeon, a roguelite that recently got a major update, there's a pair of NPCs you can unlock that send you on hunting missions to kill specific enemies for rewards. The game is filled to the brim with guns and gun puns. The pair with suspiciously familiar designs of a big red viking and a small guy in a gray hood? Frifle and the Gray Mauser.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Choco1980 posted:

They're trying to lift a curse that causes a chicken to follow them around.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Action Jacktion posted:

Yeah, l'll read that. :D

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Action Jacktion posted:

I can think of an easier way to break that curse AND get a free meal.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Avulsion posted:

I can think of an easier way to break that curse AND get a free meal.

Are you sure you want to risk having the remains follow you around forever?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

Are you sure you want to risk having the remains follow you around forever?

Nobody likes a poultreygeist.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Choco1980 posted:

Boo this man

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Choco1980 posted:

Rude!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Choco1980 posted:

It's a better fate than what I was thinking of.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
THat's no chicken! That is EVIL INCARNATE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Is it a curse that makes one specific chicken follow them around, or does it bring along a new chicken if the current one gets killed? Because I'm thinking about restaurant opportunities here.