Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Keegers posted:

I've started environmental killing everyone, like all my gear is plus throw. People keep raging and calling me no honor :cabot:

My favorite environmental kill thus far is using a guard break counter to send a Raider into the drink during a Canyon brawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Game is fun and easy when im not getting errors.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Internet Kraken posted:

Its so, so dumb that the if someone leaves in the aftergame lobby the game either replaces them with a bot or closes the match entirely. Why would you not allow those slots to be filled with people searching for a game??

In the words of Sean Murray: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Its so, so dumb that the if someone leaves in the aftergame lobby the game either replaces them with a bot or closes the match entirely. Why would you not allow those slots to be filled with people searching for a game??

*youtuber speaks increasingly desperately into mic* "these issues will be ironed out in a day one patch day one patch please i said it you said you wouldn't if i said it" *tazer*

Nasgate posted:

Game is fun and easy when im not getting errors.

I bounce wildly between thinking its easy and I'm king poo poo and thinking it's impossibly difficult and I'm at the bottom of a huge skill curve being poo poo on by people who have mastered it in two days. I only run into the good orochis.

edit and i also cannot connect to anyone right now anyway either

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 12, 2017

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Inspector Hound posted:

*youtuber speaks increasingly desperately into mic* "these issues will be ironed out in a day one patch day one patch please i said it you said you wouldn't if i said it" *tazer*

I bounce wildly between thinking its easy and I'm king poo poo and thinking it's impossibly difficult and I'm at the bottom of a huge skill curve being poo poo on by people who have mastered it in two days. I only run into the good orochis.

edit and i also cannot connect to anyone right now anyway either

Its all about focus. You get excited and forget what you need. When the game isnt soft locked at least.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Hypha posted:

My favorite environmental kill thus far is using a guard break counter to send a Raider into the drink during a Canyon brawl.

Pushing someone into fire pits and not letting them get out is my personal favorite.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Is anyone else finding dominion absolutely maddening? Oh you have 1000 points now they have 1000 points

Oh you have their team on sudden death oh no actually you are

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So how is this game if I love historical sword whacking and only care about playing against AI.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hypha posted:

I've only got a couple but I adored watching some little Ninja bitch run past me to the little room in the back of Point A on the capture point map to try to keep me from capturing. He thought he was being sneaky and was gonna confuse me and wait for reinforcements. I just laughed, ran in and punted him off the little cliff there. And then I utterly wrecked his other Ninja friend as he tried to ambush me. Whenever you see someone play the Ninja class (yes I know they're not called that, but that's basically what they are) they're this game's snipers. 95% of the time they're nowhere near as smart as they think they are, 5% of the time (or if they're bots) they will melt your face.

Kilometers Davis posted:

So how is this game if I love historical sword whacking and only care about playing against AI.

Dunno how historical it is (it's not at all), but playing against AI actually does help the faction you're representing take territory on the world map. Also the AIs can get up to Skynet levels of removing your face.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
This game is strictly non-historic sword whacking.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The vs bot stuff is an ok supplement but I really can't see this game being of any significant interest to someone who already knows they don't want to pvp at all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kilometers Davis posted:

I wouldn't.

This game is about the multiplayer, and it sure as poo poo isn't about history in any way.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Huh. So the direction of your guard matters when you initiate a throw, in terms of follow-up? drat.

The frustratingly slow, weighty feel of this game just keeps getting better. Reminds me of how Last of Us multiplayer can get you to wrench the thumbsticks right off your controller even when you're 100% comfortable with the controls. Game is good. Not even remotely gonna comment on the structure surrounding it because we could use a break from that

Inspector Hound posted:

being poo poo on by people who have mastered it in two days
Lmbo understand: the level 5 gear 4 nobushi teabagging you right now was level 999999 gear 74,013 in the closed beta, and the alpha before that, and the alpha before that..

Kilometers Davis posted:

'historical' - the viking/samurai/knight planet got rekt by a super earthquake that shoved their noses together along with (by?) a voiceover lady who sounds like some kind of goddess of war but turns out to be some warlord chick named "Apollyon" watching you from inside a bush

sword whacking - it's really good but it's a still a fighting game with guard breaks and cancels and guard break cancels so if that's not your thing..

AI - I look forward to the campaign because I actually like playing against the bots :shrug:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh yeah, you can replace bots in actual matches. But when a match ends and you're waiting in a lobby for the next to start? New players can't join then. If someone leaves they get replaced with a bot, and if enough people leave the match just closes. Its so stupid.

oh, i misread what you said.

yeah that's real dumb.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I wouldn't.

This game is about the multiplayer, and it sure as poo poo isn't about history in any way.

uhh I remember when Harald hardrada attacked Nobunagas castle in japan and Joan of arc was waiting in hiding.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I suck rear end at this game, fighting vs humans is a bit beyond me right now and even the AI kicks my rear end sometimes. It seems they do way more damage to me than I do to them and if I let them get off like 4 attacks in a row from loving up I'm basically dead.

The character I've had the most success with is the main samurai dude. I had some pretty cool 2v1's vs the AI where I got revenge & then killed both ending with an execution. The graphics and gameplay are pretty sweet though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Evil Canadian posted:

uhh I remember when Harald hardrada attacked Nobunagas castle in japan and Joan of arc was waiting in hiding.

Finally I can live out my Civilization games as one of my foot soldiers!

Jerkface posted:

I suck rear end at this game, fighting vs humans is a bit beyond me right now and even the AI kicks my rear end sometimes. It seems they do way more damage to me than I do to them and if I let them get off like 4 attacks in a row from loving up I'm basically dead.

The character I've had the most success with is the main samurai dude. I had some pretty cool 2v1's vs the AI where I got revenge & then killed both ending with an execution. The graphics and gameplay are pretty sweet though.

I just sat in the practice mode for a while with a Lvl 1 bot until I started to figure it out. Heavy attacks do a fuckton of damage if they're not blocked. If they hit you while your block is on the wrong direction, or while you're in the middle of an attack yourself they'll remove like a quarter of your health. Make sure you're blocking, dodging, or if you can get the timing, parrying heavy attacks.

On the other hand a guy who JUST does heavy attacks is the easiest chump to wreck.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 12, 2017

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Jerkface posted:

Ai is better than majority of players

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It'd really help this game if the tutorials had a mode that highlighted exactly when you need to press a button to initiate a combo, break a guard, or whatever.

Keegers posted:

Ai is better than majority of players

Somewhat. They have some really bad habits. Like the warden bot will always start a match trying to shield bash you, even when you dodge and punish it every time.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Uh, how do you do he instakill ladder butt smash?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Jerkface posted:

Watch some gameplay videos of someone really good at the game using the character you wanna use to get better, you don't have to pioneer a playstyle when someone's already done the hard work of figuring out what moves work together well for you. Odds are you aren't even using all your character's moves, I didn't know the Warden had a million-mile shoulder charge guard break until I saw a video of it and now it's a core part of my gameplay strategy. Any strategy you see and think "wow that looks like bullshit" is what you probably want to be using yourself

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Wandle Cax posted:

I don't know about PC controls but holding B/square lets you slide down ladders, so it's probably whatever the equivalent of your cancel button is

e: I don't know what the gently caress I just did

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Yeah the great thing about this game is that with the TTK and the amount of "bullshit" moves it ends up being like the modern bushido blade I've always dreamed of. Game starts getting better when you realize that:
  • Just one or two fuckups can mean the round, so it really feels more like an actual duel than a protracted ring fight

• It's better to not even look at your health bar and think more about how you're going to get your next attack/counter in

• The game is deep but players are not, so really you can just start by finding a single neat combo/move and spam the poo poo out of it
    (just copy the most bullshit thing you've encountered thus far. you'll learn how it gets countered)

• :lol: at everything cause you can just gently caress off to dominion and buttstomp someone off a ladder to death

Wandle Cax posted:

Circle on PS4

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Lmao bots are wayyyyy scarier than human opponents like 90% of the time.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Nasgate posted:

can confirm!

I've been maining Nobushi despite wanting to deus vult it up and against most human players I can and will wreck face.

against level 2 bots I can win roughly half the time.

against level 3 bots, lol. Was grinding the brawl order tonight and the way bots work is that it automatically assesses your performance and scales bots to your level. Well my partner and I were doing a biiiit too well, so it faced us against level 3 bots. Destroyed us 3-0 in like, less than thirty seconds each round. I don't think I took a single bar of health off.

So definitely agree that bots are way scarier than human players. The super BS combo the nobushi does after her unblockable jump kick stun involves like three attacks that you can chain from any direction that can cause bleed. I've never not gotten a real human player with all three. Against a bot - any bot - they will invariably block the second.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Nasgate posted:

I found that I was absolutely trashing everybody in my games until I hit unit ranking 10 for the character I was playing at which point you really get thrown into a trial-by-fire. Then I switched to someone I had never played before and tried a few games and everyone went back to being braindead, except so was I so I was dying anyways, but there was absolutely a notable skill difference

maybe I got lucky but when I tried fighting the level 3 bots because people were saying how hard they were I won eight rounds in a row, half those rounds I never even took damage

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

mellowjournalism posted:

Yeah the great thing about this game is that with the TTK and the amount of "bullshit" moves it ends up being like the modern bushido blade I've always dreamed of. Game starts getting better when you realize that:
  • Just one or two fuckups can mean the round, so it really feels more like an actual duel than a protracted ring fight

• It's better to not even look at your health bar and think more about how you're going to get your next attack/counter in

Yeah, I really agree with this stuff. I've been mostly playing Kensei because I'm apparently awful at Peacekeeper and Orochi, and everything else. I've done really well so far, I feel like in most matchups I'm at least not getting rekt with no idea why, except Nobushi. Half the Nobushi I fight are awful and I practically walk through, the other half are untouchable gods that somehow manage to land every hit despite guarding and dodge everything coming at them.

Best trick I've found so far with Kensei is the charge guard break > guard break forward again to stun > top heavy. The two guard breaks count as chain hits, so you get your super powered unblockable heavy attack and take like 2+ bars of HP off them.

Also fun is canceling heavy swings into top light attacks that poke people trying to charge at you right in the face.

Melek
May 23, 2003
Why would I get a DVD ROM drive when I have two DVD players in my house? Please send me $50 cash so I can get a DVD Drive. Or better yet please send me $10 bux so I can have this ugly red title removed.

Hypha posted:

Mine happened while I was oh-so-cool executing my dude in a 2v2. Looking suave as gently caress during the animation until the other enemy warlord shield charged my rear end off a mountain. Dude came outta nowhere.

PS Berserker for life.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Internet Kraken posted:

This is pretty much the most hosed thing right now in the game in my opinion and needs to be fixed ASAP. The day one patches are going to be meaty for sure but I'm guessing that this isn't going to be in there.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Game is fun but I'm concerned it'll get old after like a week and isn't enough to spend $60 on.

Is the multiplayer truly cross-platform? I've been playing on PS4 and I've been getting "low activity" on everything except duel player vs. AI.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Drone posted:

Game is fun but I'm concerned it'll get old after like a week and isn't enough to spend $60 on.

Is the multiplayer truly cross-platform? I've been playing on PS4 and I've been getting "low activity" on everything except duel player vs. AI.

For PS4, I basically ignored the low activity warning. Matches for brawl, dominion and elimination were about a minute or so at worst. I haven't tried duel cause I usually play with a friend thus far.

The actual combat is not cross platform for what I know. Only the weird meta-game of the faction war is cross-platform.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Anyone noticed the stats for the last round of a fight not being counted on the results screen? i.e. the kills and deaths not updating from the final round?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Internet Kraken posted:

people can join the game mid-match, even taking the place of AI

closing the match entirely is kinda silly though instead of just matchmaking more people automatically

Same with if you get the "this match is full" bug, it should just put you back in the matchmaking hopper not kick you to the main screen

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Wait, i cant be a lady Warlord? Rip 500 steel i couldve used to make my berserker prettier.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So, after the orders reset, the ones i had selected changed to cyrillic.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

So, like new Lawbringer looks sweet. I am now hype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0avrEUx21bg

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hypha posted:

So, like new Lawbringer looks sweet. I am now hype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0avrEUx21bg

Looks like a Raider mixed with a Nobushi.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
is that a river of lava

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Looks like a Raider mixed with a Nobushi.

I just wish he showed the move list too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm probably the only person really excited to play the Shoguki.

I just wanna be a fat man hitting people with a big club.