Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Exodite players have it good; at least they don't have to play a terrible game!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Avenging Dentist posted:

Exodite players have it good; at least they don't have to play a terrible game!!

Well the last edition that had Exodite rules was 2nd so if they're still playing they're playing a pretty poo poo game.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I was assuming that any Exodite players at this point are aspirational gamers.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Mantic is going after the exodite players with the Kalyshi range.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
its too bad mantic are incapable of making an aesthetically pleasing model

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

But at leas they have good rules! I'll be the first to say the current Kalyshi are trash, but Mantic has always been pretty good about letting people proxy and given that there simply aren't models for the majority of Kalyshi while you could theoretically field a whole army of them in Firefight, you're basically free to go hog dino-wild.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging Dentist posted:

I wanna EXODITE the room when people want to play 40k.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

There have literally never been models for Exodites ever, so even if you were playing them in 2nd edition when they technically had rules you had to be pretty driven to make/convert everything (although you could use the guardian kits as decent corsairs if you used all the options).

Edit: When you think about, anyone who quit 40k years ago is basically an Exodite, in that they abandoned their ancestral homeland (GW) for a better life (game) with fewer complications (bad rules and dice rolling), and managed to escape before the worlds were consumed in an orgy of consumption and opulence (end times).

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 12, 2017

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
My uncle that works for games workshop and the dude that I am cucking that works for forge world have both told me that there will be 5 factions so it is totally not aos. It will be (1) astra militarim, neutral good, (2) Aeldari Ynarri, chaotic neutral, (3) lawful neutral, current chaos space marines once the corpse emperor is slain, (4) chaotic evil, dark eldar and current daemons, (5) true neutral, orcs, tyranids, tau. Thus will true balance be achieved and rules will be made good.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

I own some of their sharkman dudes for Bloodbowl. They're OK but the casting is abysmal.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Atlas Hugged posted:

But at leas they have good rules! I'll be the first to say the current Kalyshi are trash, but Mantic has always been pretty good about letting people proxy and given that there simply aren't models for the majority of Kalyshi while you could theoretically field a whole army of them in Firefight, you're basically free to go hog dino-wild.

It sounds like if you combined Mantic and GW, you'd have a pretty good company. Maybe GW should buy Mantic.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Guy Goodbody posted:

It sounds like if you combined Mantic and GW, you'd have a pretty good company. Maybe GW should buy Mantic.

That's like suggesting that if Dominos bought your local independent pizza joint, they'd start making good pizzas, when in reality they'd gut it, and turn it into a normal Dominos outlet selling those lovely grease disks they call pizzas for $5

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
little ceasers sells the 5 buck za. dominos wants 6 for their diarrhea induction

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The Citadel Wood is actually really nice, it's just expensive for what it is.

I bought three of those and built two huge rear end treemen out of them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They're $5 down here, and they got pinged in the media this week for breaking all kinds of labor laws, ie because corporate declared that wages could not be more than 27% of profits in a fortnight, managers were ordered to go back through the books and remove hours people had already worked, so they didn't get paid for them. Also scamming them out of penalty rates, paying below minimum wage, etc, all while making $600 million profit pa for the shareholders and putting everyone else out of business with the $5 pizzas.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
academically I knew there were people who did it, but it's still kind of horrifying to actually see someone call pizza "za"

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Eighth edition 40k? Didn't they just rush 7th out last year or the year before? :psyduck:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

They're $5 down here, and they got pinged in the media this week for breaking all kinds of labor laws, ie because corporate declared that wages could not be more than 27% of profits in a fortnight, managers were ordered to go back through the books and remove hours people had already worked, so they didn't get paid for them. Also scamming them out of penalty rates, paying below minimum wage, etc, all while making $600 million profit pa for the shareholders and putting everyone else out of business with the $5 pizzas.

yowza thats lovely

ps nothin wrong with calling it a za

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

Or how about buying GW mans and use them to play Mantic games? It doesn't have to be so complicated.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

HardCoil posted:

Or how about buying GW mans and use them to play Mantic games? It doesn't have to be so complicated.

I do this with GW stuff I find on ebay, but anything from after like 2002 just doesn't appeal to me, so I mostly have metal figures from the 90s.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Eighth edition 40k? Didn't they just rush 7th out last year or the year before? :psyduck:

Surprisingly, it's been almost 3 years since 7th dropped. Though 6th only had like 2 iirc

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah, May 2014 for 7th, after 6th only came out in June 2012

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am actually surprised at how much criticism is on the official 40k FB page about the Death world poop trees. Of course you get comments like the following but actually calling out GW for a dumb release and having it stick is surprising.
"Most of the people complaining about these have likely never really used the old rules for dangerous fauna types before..This is a fairly awesome idea and I'm glad they've finally released em!"

Maybe they just haven't come around to deleting the negative comments yet? I'm pretty sure I've seen them do that for the AOS hug box.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
The death world trees are bad even by bad GW standards. I may not be able to tell the difference between a stormhumper thunderstorm and a thunderstorm humprider by looking at them, but I can at least tell that they're supposed to be guys in armor with weapons, however absurdly proportioned. At least 80% of those "trees" I couldn't even tell were supposed to be vegetation if they weren't listed as such, and the ones that you can don't even look interesting, they've just got a few leaves stuck on them.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
The most troubling thing I've learned in th death thread, far worse than the depths of boomx3 anime fetish, is thst people use the word za in real life and not some Jim Butcher fake Chicago affection.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I played board games today instead of anything GW and board games are cool and good

Play board games

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Flipswitch posted:

I played board games today instead of anything GW and board games are cool and good

Play board games
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Boxed-Games

well there's Stormcloud Attack...?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

GW games are not good board games

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What was this good board game then

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Forbidden Stars

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

we played scythe and xcom today

Chill la Chill posted:

Forbidden Stars
this game and star wars rebellion look cool but those price tags. :stare:

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 12, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Scythe is rad, definitely recommend

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Flipswitch posted:

we played scythe and xcom today

this game and star wars rebellion look cool but those price tags. :stare:

Pretty sure it's about the same price as Scythe*. My friend got it on Amazon a couple weeks ago for $60.

*when neither of them are undergoing scalper prices.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Pretty sure it's about the same price as Scythe. My friend got it on Amazon a couple weeks ago for $60.
Scythe is £60 here and Rebellion is £84 (rounding here), FS is £63 though which is less than I thought it was. I get a 1/3 off that price with work discount but still, I'm not a big enough SW fan to splurge on it and I'm trying to make up my mind on Doom.

Ashcans posted:

Scythe is rad, definitely recommend
I played the Crimeans with their wheelie mechs, poo poo was awesome.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Bad Moon posted:

The most troubling thing I've learned in th death thread, far worse than the depths of boomx3 anime fetish, is thst people use the word za in real life and not some Jim Butcher fake Chicago affection.

It's important to keep it in use for scrabble purposes

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Whats the XCOM board game like?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I didn't like it. It's not awful, but the app drained my phone battery halfway through the first playthrough I did, where meant starting again or giving up.

It's also a bit longer than the fun justifies, and some of the roles are more fun than others.

There's other better games out there, and it suffers from being massively in space alert's wheelhouse while being nowhere near as good

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

Whats the XCOM board game like?

Agree on SA being a better panic oh poo poo game but I like the game. App is pretty immersive and combat is savage. The game can snowball out of control if you let the early game slip and the expansion is super fun. Me and my buddies really like XCOM I just wish the scientist had more tasks to do in 4 player games.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Space Alert is good, I heartily recommend it for anyone who likes cooperation games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My friend confessing to me a couple weeks ago that he cheated 3 years ago when we regularly played Space Alert and finally completed a mission successfully broke my heart more than any game of Diplomacy ever could. We're getting that game back in rotation next week.

• Locked thread