Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013

Soulex posted:

Isn't there some weird poo poo that prevents some home grown players getting out of the league? I thought it was something like that I read or saw.
In Australia? Not that I can think of. It's a problem across a lot of the rest of Asia because there's leagues where the pay far outstrips the talent (China and the oil leagues in particular) so there's no financial incentive for their good players to try and improve themselves abroad, so almost the entire team's domestically based. By contrast, since the A-League's small and underpays its players relative to skill, there's a lot of incentive to leave when you have an opportunity. While the quality of the league's trended strongly upwards recently this season's seen a bit of a dip according to some people, since there was a pretty massive exodus of Australian talent in the offseason.

In fact, this season a 16-year old highly-regarded midfielder was plucked away from Melbourne to Ajax with a nominal (possibly no?) fee because of some sort of local law preventing him from signing a professional contract that early. So, yeah, if anything the A-League's one of the most fluid leagues to leave in the region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Arquebus posted:

In Australia? Not that I can think of. It's a problem across a lot of the rest of Asia because there's leagues where the pay far outstrips the talent (China and the oil leagues in particular) so there's no financial incentive for their good players to try and improve themselves abroad, so almost the entire team's domestically based. By contrast, since the A-League's small and underpays its players relative to skill, there's a lot of incentive to leave when you have an opportunity. While the quality of the league's trended strongly upwards recently this season's seen a bit of a dip according to some people, since there was a pretty massive exodus of Australian talent in the offseason.

In fact, this season a 16-year old highly-regarded midfielder was plucked away from Melbourne to Ajax with a nominal (possibly no?) fee because of some sort of local law preventing him from signing a professional contract that early. So, yeah, if anything the A-League's one of the most fluid leagues to leave in the region.

Thanks for this. I always wondered why those leagues weren't bigger. AFL seemed immensely more popular than A-league (I still need to watch a game because I have heard it is pretty much fighting with a ball) when I was in Brisbane. An Aussie actually made a deadline day transfer to Inter which shocked literally everybody.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Soulex posted:

Thanks for this. I always wondered why those leagues weren't bigger. AFL seemed immensely more popular than A-league (I still need to watch a game because I have heard it is pretty much fighting with a ball) when I was in Brisbane. An Aussie actually made a deadline day transfer to Inter which shocked literally everybody.

AFL, Rugby League, Rugby Union and Cricket all pay more and draw larger crowds than Football in Australia so unless you have some cultural reason to prefer football you would never consider it for a first choice. The professional and well done league is also very new relatively to other countries, before then it was dumb poo poo with no worthwhile tv deal or money.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/feb/10/wada-describes-lack-of-drug-testing-in-spanish-football-as-alarming

La liga hasn't conducted a single anti doping test since March 2016

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

:laugh:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Byolante posted:

AFL, Rugby League, Rugby Union and Cricket all pay more and draw larger crowds than Football in Australia so unless you have some cultural reason to prefer football you would never consider it for a first choice. The professional and well done league is also very new relatively to other countries, before then it was dumb poo poo with no worthwhile tv deal or money.

Aren't most Aussie clubs originally founded by eastern European migrants?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Corrode posted:

In the old national league, yes.

In the newer league, only a few.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Lol nice

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Corrode posted:

I used 'cultural reasons' as a nice way of saying wogs and serbs

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

What this means is all the testing the Madrilean lab has done since March last year is for naught, since they've been working without accreditation.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Healbot posted:

What this means is all the testing the Madrilean lab has done since March last year is for naught, since they've been working without accreditation.

As I understand the article they continued testing for a while after being declared non-compliant, then they got shut down?

"The authority also blamed Fifa and Uefa for not taking over drug testing in football after Wafa declared it non-compliant last March, which came about after it missed a deadline for required changes to its drug-testing procedures. Wada shut down Madrid’s anti-doping laboratory in June."

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Anti-doping is a scam.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/waatpies/status/831112777792106497

Broken Turkey

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

jyrka posted:

Anti-doping is a scam.

Totally, remember when Wenger said anti-doping testing should be more strict in football so they turned up at Arsenal's training to 'punish' him? :cop:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/sunderland-news-asamoah-gyan-unethical-hair-a7581281.html

Asamoah Gyan has been found guilty of having unethical hair

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008

Pretty sure Shaarawy would be hanged in a public display if he played there.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Some match officials in the United Arab Emirates enforce the rules because they are concerned about children copying the styles.

Finally, someone thought of the children

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Totally, remember when Wenger said anti-doping testing should be more strict in football so they turned up at Arsenal's training to 'punish' him? :cop:

I still love this Wenger quote from 2004:

"We have had some players come to us at Arsenal from other clubs abroad and their red blood cell count has been abnormally high," he said. "That kind of thing makes you wonder."

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Shroud posted:

I still love this Wenger quote from 2004:

"We have had some players come to us at Arsenal from other clubs abroad and their red blood cell count has been abnormally high," he said. "That kind of thing makes you wonder."

Red Meat, tomato sauce and milk Wenger

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Not an actual footballer, but a footballer's relative, so I suppose it belongs here. Australian national team player's father stabs his brother in law to death, then runs away and hides in Australia for 17 years. Is eventually busted when he admits to have killed a man to a suicide help-line.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/socceroo-ryan-mcgowans-father-james-mcgowan-found-guilty-of-murder-in-scotland-20170215-gue1p0.html

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi_5lXIT5AY

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Anthony Stokes has to pay Elvis Man 230k euros. Thats an expensive headbutt.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Blue Star Error posted:

thankyouverymuch

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Blue Star Error posted:

Did the headbutt leave him all shook up?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Blue Star Error posted:

This is your weekly reminder that Anthony Stokes is a massive retard.

chuggo is BACK posted:

thankyouverymuch

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
stokes was hoping to pay a little less compensation

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

chuggo is BACK posted:

stokes was hoping to pay a little less compensation

Unfortunately the prosecution demanded a little more action.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Arquebus posted:

In Australia? Not that I can think of. It's a problem across a lot of the rest of Asia because there's leagues where the pay far outstrips the talent (China and the oil leagues in particular) so there's no financial incentive for their good players to try and improve themselves abroad, so almost the entire team's domestically based.

THats england not asia

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
https://twitter.com/BogaFlick/status/834748778922049536?s=09

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Brazil court orders arrest of Pele's son over drug trafficking
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-39084502

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
John Terry's house was raided while he was on a skiing holiday, some reports coming in that it was his mum who orchestrated it :allears:

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bacon Terrorist posted:

John Terry's house was raided while he was on a skiing holiday, some reports coming in that it was his mum who orchestrated it :allears:

I look forward to him photobombing the mug shots in full kit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bruno, who ordered an ex murdered and then fed to dogs so he didn't have to pay child support and got jailed for 22 years in 2010, is out on parole and has 10 offers from clubs in brazil to play for them

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jose posted:

Bruno, who ordered an ex murdered and then fed to dogs so he didn't have to pay child support and got jailed for 22 years in 2010, is out on parole and has 10 offers from clubs in brazil to play for them

sounds cool, could you please post a link or three about it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/05/said-and-done-football-maurizio-zamparini-fifa-bruno

quote:

Most wanted
Brazil: Ex-Flamengo keeper Bruno – jailed for 22 years in 2010 for having his girlfriend killed and fed to dogs to avoid paying child support – in talks with ten clubs after being released on parole. “I have paid, I’ve paid dearly. Now I’m starting over.”

Among Bruno’s suitors: Brasiliense president Luis Estévăo, directing contract talks from jail while serving 31 years for corruption, criminal conspiracy and embezzlement. Bruno’s lawyer Lúcio Adolfo: “I confirm Brasiliense is an option. Negotiations are well advanced.”

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I liked Borat better.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe Ched Evans should consider a move to Brazil

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless