Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

surc posted:

Yes, luna's point was that it's fine for big professional streams, not that it would cause problems for them.

The problem comes if any random guy wants to try their hand at casting from a public GOTV for a tournament or something, or if people just want to stream themselves gaming.
Quite often there is copyrighted material being used in some form when it's just some dude trying to make the casting enjoyable to his viewers with soundbytes or throwing some music on in between matches, or when a player is streaming themselves and puts on spotify in the background while doing warmup or in between their own games or when they go AFK or anything like that.

Ah yeah. I honestly loathe the interface of YouTube Gaming, that's one of the few things Twitch is way better at. Hopefully YouTube starts working on their live streaming interface a bit, and maybe just copy Twitch's VOD system as well, muting pieces of video where copyrighted sound is played. Seeing as they're buying exclusive rights for tournaments I'm very hopeful this will improve in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What interface do you need beyond a play/pause button?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Just use the built in Steam broadcasting

:lol:

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gingerbread House Music posted:

What interface do you need beyond a play/pause button?

I could've worded it better, but it's a pain in the rear end to browse for channels there.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Twitch can handle the same bitrate as YouTube. ESL broadcasted at the same bitrate on twitch last season as it is now on YouTube. Twitch handles 1080p60fps the exact same way YouTube does. They use the same html5 based rendering.

The previous major was lovely quality because that's how Turner decided to broadcast it.

Seditiar posted:

Still can't believe people prefer Twitch's 100 bitrate streams over YouTube's 9k bitrate streams, where you can distinguish things.
lol??????????????? no

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Garfu posted:

Twitch can handle the same bitrate as YouTube. ESL broadcasted at the same bitrate on twitch last season as it is now on YouTube. Twitch handles 1080p60fps the exact same way YouTube does. They use the same html5 based rendering.

The previous major was lovely quality because that's how Turner decided to broadcast it.

lol??????????????? no

This is wrong on a lot of levels, ESL is streaming to YTG 1080p60 at 20-25,000 kbps. Twitch max I've seen on any event was 7000 and you have to specifically ask to use that high of bitrate.

Youtube's stream backend is FAR better than Twitch, their actual front end sucks dick.

Photex fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 10, 2017

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
It doesn't mean twitch CAN'T handle it, it's just not common. Retrieving the exact numbers from a senior employee shortly.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CS is dumb and no one can convince me otherwise.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Garfu posted:

It doesn't mean twitch CAN'T handle it, it's just not common. Retrieving the exact numbers from a senior employee shortly.

Who gives a poo poo what they in theory can handle? CSGO major finals were poo poo bitrate and The International was only at ~5300 as well iirc. Sure, maybe they could handle 20k bitrate as well (I doubt it), but they don't allow it so it's a moot point.

And on top of that the Twitch app is really, really loving bad and doesn't work well with Chromecast. Which I'll admit can be because of the Chromecast. Half the tournament streams stutter incredibly bad and basically skip half the frames and audio, which YouTube doesn't have even though the bitrate is much higher.

Garfu posted:

I'll give you that one, they posted about it and it boiled down to "Hardware isn't compatible with 1080p60fps", which is kinda surprising to me but that wasn't Twitch's fault at least.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 10, 2017

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Seditiar posted:

Who gives a poo poo what they in theory can handle? CSGO major finals were poo poo bitrate and The International was only at ~5300 as well iirc. Sure, maybe they could handle 20k bitrate as well (I doubt it), but they don't allow it so it's a moot point.

And on top of that the Twitch app is really, really loving bad and doesn't work well with Chromecast. Which I'll admit can be because of the Chromecast. Half the tournament streams stutter incredibly bad and basically skip half the frames and audio, which YouTube doesn't have even though the bitrate is much higher.

I'll give you that one, they posted about it and it boiled down to "Hardware isn't compatible with 1080p60fps", which is kinda surprising to me but that wasn't Twitch's fault at least.
Yeah but does Youtube have twitch chat?

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Too Poetic posted:

Worse: they have comments

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Too Poetic posted:

Just pop-out Twitch's chat and drag it over Youtube's chat. :v:

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Hey guys, what's up you're watching CS

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Hey so are there any third party anti-cheat systems out there aside from EAC?

Let's say an independent league wants to do something to reduce cheating- FACEIT and ESEA's anticheat is obviously proprietary, so is there anything they can realistically do in terms of mitigation, especially in a situation where people generally have their own servers or rent?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
pay danm to sit in spectate

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Let's say an independent league wants to do something to reduce cheating- FACEIT and ESEA's anticheat is obviously proprietary, so is there anything they can realistically do in terms of mitigation, especially in a situation where people generally have their own servers or rent?

Not that I know of except EAC. All the other major third party anti-cheats have shut down - UAC and X-Ray being the only other notables. They were poo poo anyway. Any remotely sophisticated hack bypassed them.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Why people will go to such lengths to cheat in video games is profoundly beyond me

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Jeza posted:

Not that I know of except EAC. All the other major third party anti-cheats have shut down - UAC and X-Ray being the only other notables. They were poo poo anyway. Any remotely sophisticated hack bypassed them.

Yeah, that was pretty much my impression.

I'm asking because of the recent drama in the norwegian scene*, which has resulted in EAC being implemented for the top division, and possibly also the lower ones down the line.

I recognize that EAC is far from perfect and probably more of a sieve than bowl, but my thinking is that it's at least better than nothing at all and slightly perplexed at all the people making GBS threads on the admins for going with EAC when, as far as I can tell, there is literally no other available alternatives.

*https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/5t3av8/player_in_the_norwegian_1st_division/?sort=new

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
My only problem with YouTube is that the quality controls on the android tv app work really badly. Often times it chooses a really bad resolution and changing it doesn't work for live streams. I might try the PS4 YouTube app - perhaps it works better.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yeah, that was pretty much my impression.

I'm asking because of the recent drama in the norwegian scene*, which has resulted in EAC being implemented for the top division, and possibly also the lower ones down the line.

I recognize that EAC is far from perfect and probably more of a sieve than bowl, but my thinking is that it's at least better than nothing at all and slightly perplexed at all the people making GBS threads on the admins for going with EAC when, as far as I can tell, there is literally no other available alternatives.

*https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/5t3av8/player_in_the_norwegian_1st_division/?sort=new

EAC isn't total garbage or anything. It can block a number of regular cheats from what I know. It doesn't detect individual cheats, but prevents them being injected into the game. But it, like VAC (except for one time), only has access to cheats that operate in ring3. Fancy hacks that operate at a kernel level, ring0, cannot ever be detected or blocked by EAC. ESEA Anti-Cheat and ESL Wire have ring0 access, so are that much more complicated to bypass.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
got some disgusting scout shots in my last couple games

cobblestone. rush lower A as CT. Scope scout to side of the wheelbarrow. T jumps and throws a smoke. Headshot. Question mark in chat box.

i really like the scout

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

best gun in the game imo

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i should really stop buying it so much despite having successes with it because the failures are much more severe: aka miss a shot and let Ts into a site unimpeded as i scramble for cover

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Bohemian Nights posted:

Load up punk buster

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Finally getting over my cowardice and playing comp, and I'm having....fun?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

jerman999 posted:

I still haven't tried comp yet. I was going to try and get prime beforehand but it's taking so god drat long to get to level 21(currently 14)

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

jerman999 posted:

Hit up some goons, get a stack going, have even more fun :)

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

Hit up some goons, get a stack going, have even more fun :)

:agreed:

stump collector
May 28, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqGKwuPct_I

this is my favorite thing about 2016-2017 CS

Dancer
May 23, 2011

stump collector posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqGKwuPct_I

this is my favorite thing about 2016-2017 CS

Emm... care to explain for those of us who lack context? Like I get the idea of giving the awp to the lower health dude, but who are Bogdan and Steel and why are the comments so polarized?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
it was a case of bogdan saying something smart in a pug, but they're both assholes, so steel flamed the gently caress out of him because bogdan is kind of an idiot, even though he was right. then it became a joke 8)

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
steels been looking much healthier lately he no longer resembles a corpse propped up in front of a steelseries mouse

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Up Circle posted:

steels been looking much healthier lately he no longer resembles a corpse propped up in front of a steelseries mouse

Competitive cs is a hell of a drug

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Luna Was Here posted:

Competitive cs adderall is a hell of a drug

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I just got a 30 minute ban in the third round on office for too much team damage and I was absolutely not trying to.

e: it also loving deranked me

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 12, 2017

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

I just got a 30 minute ban in the third round on office for too much team damage and I was absolutely not trying to.

e: it also loving deranked me

Do you realize how much team dmg that actually requires?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Averaging over 133 damage to team per round, in order to get kicked for excessive team damage on the 3rd round.

What gun were you using in the first 3 rounds to even be able to do that?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Well first round someone walked in front of me as I was aiming carefully and shot and boom headshot dead. Then a different person walked in front round 2 as I was more rapidly panic firing and I got him I think twice in the body then a terrorist killed him but I got the assist. Then third round I had a P90 and I rounded a corner at the same time as someone else and got scared and clicked and brrrrrrrrp disconnect immediately.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
https://clips.twitch.tv/jasonrrr/ExcitedSnakeBCouch lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

just lost a game because my genius team decided to turn a 1v4 with bomb in the middle of site into a series of 1v1s as they pushed into market.

I won the clutch, but then we got overran because we mostly had famas and umps. I hate this game