Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Yosuke is the most realistically written teenager ever and I love him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Charlie Bobson posted:

Pretty much. I wanted to punch him at a few points but that, again, is part of him being a teenager. Overall he's pretty cool. I'm just glad Kanji's gay thing is ancient and forgotten history since anything to do with that was when I wanted to hit Yosuke.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Charlie Bobson posted:

I dunno he's better at his job than most teenagers I know.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Charlie Bobson posted:

He's so realistically written he jumped into a murder mystery instead of loving off back home and listening to his nickelback albums

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I swear the Yukiko's castle mini boss is bugged or something, I'm replaying golden and he just one shot my MC while he was using a resist physical persona, he even killed Kanji who was 300hp. :psyduck:

I'm at level 24 to, I don't understand why his rampage does such insane damage.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Alteisen posted:

I swear the Yukiko's castle mini boss is bugged or something, I'm replaying golden and he just one shot my MC while he was using a resist physical persona, he even killed Kanji who was 300hp. :psyduck:

I'm at level 24 to, I don't understand why his rampage does such insane damage.

Iirc he actually has a special enemy only version of rampage with a much higher base damage.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah his Rampage is what annihilated me when I first tried fighting him. Oddly, when I went back to beatt him and was much stronger and could probably survive it, he never used the move once.

So I was looking up the plethora of P4A DLC and saw it has music from the other games. Well, the other new games, the ones people actually care about. (although I guess this is a shameful fact given P2 was goo dand PQ isn't?) Anyway, I realized, when looking at the listed songs included in the various DLC, that I didn't know a lot of them. Well, I knew the songs but I didn't know the names. Looking up the songs on YT to see if they were worth buying for the game, I saw that P4G's awesome normal battle music is part of the P4G soundtrack? Does that mean it wasn't the original battle music?

Also the final boss version of "Burn My Dread" is way better than the normal one. If they offered that for DLC, I'd buy that. I'm not sure if I think P3 has better music than 4 but it has way bette boss music.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 12, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In P4G if you don't get an advantage in battle, "Time To Make History" plays as your music which was a new track. If you do get an advantage you get "Reach Out to the Truth" which was the music for all normal battles in vanilla P4.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

In P4G if you don't get an advantage in battle, "Time To Make History" plays as your music which was a new track. If you do get an advantage you get "Reach Out to the Truth" which was the music for all normal battles in vanilla P4.

Ah. I like the new song a lot better so it's a good thing the game really wants you to always get advantages. Thanks for the info.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I kinda liked the way Yosuke was handled because for me he went from bro #1 to a dirty homophobe I don't hang out with, which is a unique turnaround for a videogame character.
They could have done with a lesson moment for him in the camping trip where you can tell him not to accuse our vulnerable younger friend of being a potential rapist just because he's gay. Can't say it was too out of character for teenage boys though.

I'm really not enjoying TMS #FE that much, its definitly one of the best games on the Wii U but thats not really saying much imo. It just feels like an SMT game with all the bits I like about SMT stripped out and replaced with bland looking characters, tiny elf girls, a prescriptive upgrade system and huge tits. Its sort of making me hate Fire Emblem which was probably not the intent.

I kinda dig the idea of summoning Personas/Mirages through performances though, the battle system is reasonably strong and people say its good so I'll stick at it (also I bought the drat thing so why not?) but I'm at chapter 3 and having to force myself to play.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

NikkolasKing posted:

Ah. I like the new song a lot better so it's a good thing the game really wants you to always get advantages. Thanks for the info.
Don't you have this backwards, the new song only plays if you don't get an advantage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

I'm really not enjoying TMS #FE that much, its definitly one of the best games on the Wii U but thats not really saying much imo. It just feels like an SMT game with all the bits I like about SMT stripped out and replaced with bland looking characters, tiny elf girls, a prescriptive upgrade system and huge tits. Its sort of making me hate Fire Emblem which was probably not the intent.

why would you hate fire emblem for things that are part of the smt series

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
what do you mean by prescriptive upgrade system

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

I kinda dig the idea of summoning Personas/Mirages through performances though, the battle system is reasonably strong and people say its good so I'll stick at it (also I bought the drat thing so why not?) but I'm at chapter 3 and having to force myself to play.

TMS isn't really like SMT or FE, to the point where it pissed a lot of Fire Emblem fans for being like neither (it's really a Persona game). I'm willing to attribute the last issue there to Fates though. :v:

Endorph said it better though:

Endorph posted:

why would you hate fire emblem for things that are part of the smt series

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

What kind of person has a problem with huge tits?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Grrrr I hate this game the tits are just... too... big

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The only real kinda bummer is Tsubasa's outfit just being this Swan Lake with boobs thing and her victory pose being like check_out_anime_tiddy.gif, but then you put on her snapback outfit and have her never take it off. Tiki, I agree, is fuckin' obnoxious with her Big Bro thing. It's okay with Nanako because she's a literal kindergartner.

NikkolasKing posted:

Who is considered Best Girl there?

well, let me tell you about rise

Bogart fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 12, 2017

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Rise is best girl, mainly because she's a teen girl with actual adult problems.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

You should never not specialize in a SMT game that gives you the option. Specialization basically always beats jack-of-all

Basically this.

They fixed Strength in Apocalypse so it is actually useful; it is now the mainstat for physical attacks. Dex is still king for gun skills. Magic is magic and awesome as ever.

Keep in mind as well with spells that Hama and Mudo are now actual damage spells that proc the instant kill on smirk now. Accordingly they are just a lot more useful in general since they have usage outside of trash fights ; there are definitely enough bosses weak to light and dark that it is worth learning them or spreading them to your demons, and they are also just really useful spells against any enemy without actual resistances to them. (Note that if push comes to shove your hero can't learn Die For Me but CAN learn the Light equivalent.)

I went magic for Apocalypse since I did Dex/Gun/Phys in regular SMT4 and had a blast.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

He's so realistically written he jumped into a murder mystery instead of loving off back home and listening to his nickelback albums

What do you think he's listening to with those headphones

He's killing two birds with one stone

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bogart posted:

Tiki, I agree, is fuckin' obnoxious with her Big Bro thing. It's okay with Nanako because she's a literal kindergartner.
iunno tiki is a literal kindergartner too in fe1/3 and those games never do anything weird with it (marth barely even talks to her) and #FE doesn't really do anything weird with it either, it's just riffing on her character in fe1/3. There's a gag about that one fangirl but it seems pretty nonsexual, that girl just thinks tiki is really cute.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I floated the basic idea of SMT4: Apocalypse by my 9-year old nephew, and he seemed pretty gung-ho about getting the Anarchy ending. A direct quote is "friendship is boring because then you don't get to kill anyone." :unsmigghh:

e: \/\/\/ Well I could have told you that.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 12, 2017

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

ManlyGrunting posted:

I floated the basic idea of SMT4: Apocalypse by my 9-year old nephew, and he seemed pretty gung-ho about getting the Anarchy ending. A direct quote is "friendship is boring because then you don't get to kill anyone." :unsmigghh:

your nephew is cooler than everyone in this thread

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ManlyGrunting posted:

e: \/\/\/ Well I could have told you that.

This kid has the right idea pretty much, yeah

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

i'm actually starting #FE myself and I'm a fan so far save for the fact that some of facial animation is wonky looking which makes the zoom in visual novel-esqe scenes not very flattering

after spending a lot of time in recent RPGs with randomized loot going back to 'pay thing for upgrade' is relaxing

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bogart posted:

The only real kinda bummer is Tsubasa's outfit just being this Swan Lake with boobs thing and her victory pose being like check_out_anime_tiddy.gif, but then you put on her snapback outfit and have her never take it off. Tiki, I agree, is fuckin' obnoxious with her Big Bro thing. It's okay with Nanako because she's a literal kindergartner.

well, let me tell you about rise

eah my bad.

So, just saved Nanako and defeated delivery guy. Rather anticlimactic. Then again, the game is obviously not over. I do seem to recall someone mentioning Golden added a few months onto te game? I can't imagine what I just did being even teh original ending though. Or how how you don't identify the killer. I don't even know if I've crossed into the zone of deciding what ending I get. I mean, I heard there's an ending where you work with the killer or something.

Don't want any direction on what to do or anything, just wondering where I'm at in terms of wrapping things up?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

eah my bad.

So, just saved Nanako and defeated delivery guy. Rather anticlimactic. Then again, the game is obviously not over. I do seem to recall someone mentioning Golden added a few months onto te game? I can't imagine what I just did being even teh original ending though. Or how how you don't identify the killer. I don't even know if I've crossed into the zone of deciding what ending I get. I mean, I heard there's an ending where you work with the killer or something.

Don't want any direction on what to do or anything, just wondering where I'm at in terms of wrapping things up?

Just keep playing the game, any answer we give you won't help you.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
This is how far you are from the ending (no plot spoilers):

You have now qualified for the bad ending, which comes in several different flavors. (You will be warned to save before the fork.) One more dungeon and you will get the good ending. Two more and you will get the true ending. Three more and you will get the true ending plus the epilogue.

E: There's the usual span of time before the next two dungeons; the final two have no real gameplay in between.

epenthesis fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 12, 2017

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I've been playing Strange Journey lately and feel like the early game (I'm probably halfway into the second sector right now) is noticeably more difficult than the other Megaten games I've played. Probably because I cannot exploit elemental weaknesses as much and the demons feel like they do less damage overall. Does the relative difficulty of the game stay that way?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I wish I could be motivated to play TMS further (on Chapter 4), but I feel like you are just SOL if you ran out of tolerance and patience for Tsubasa. I don't extremely dislike the character or anything, I just... don't really care anymore about how bad she used to sing or how badly she acts or how she tries to talk to cats, and there is definitely a lot of focus on her above most of the other characters so far.

Nothing really seems to be happening story-wise either, so that's a little bit of a bummer.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 12, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Too Much Subasa.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Randler posted:

I've been playing Strange Journey lately and feel like the early game (I'm probably halfway into the second sector right now) is noticeably more difficult than the other Megaten games I've played. Probably because I cannot exploit elemental weaknesses as much and the demons feel like they do less damage overall. Does the relative difficulty of the game stay that way?

nah, you'll break it on accident by the end if you have played an smt before, which i know you have!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

NikkolasKing posted:

eah my bad.

If you want to see all the content, there's three more dungeons to go. So you still have a sizeable chunk of time to play. I'd say around 60 or so days worth of time to do things? I can't actually remember the dates and near the final weeks it skips over a bunch of dates to fast-forward a bit but you're definitely not in the endgame yet.

EDIT: spoilered a little bit of it to be safe.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 13, 2017

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

MechaX posted:

I wish I could be motivated to play TMS further (on Chapter 4), but I feel like you are just SOL if you ran out of tolerance and patience for Tsubasa. I don't extremely dislike the character or anything, I just... don't really care anymore about how bad she used to sing or how badly she acts or how she tries to talk to cats, and there is definitely a lot of focus on her above most of the other characters so far.

Nothing really seems to be happening story-wise either, so that's a little bit of a bummer.

Do it for Ellie.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Too Much Subasa.

Please do not slander my precious, dumb-as-a-sack-of-hammers daughter.

e: but in all seriousness chapter 5 is much more focused on Yashiro. It's just a shame that chapter 4's dungeon has the worst loving gimmick.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 13, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

We got YHVH here at the Grammy red carpet.

https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/830935062367473668

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Inflammatory posted:

Do it for Ellie.

Well, Ellie, Kiria, and Touma are pretty cool, so I guess it wouldn't be all bad. Mamori... I dunno about. We should have just gotten Barry in the party instead.

Too bad the protagonist might as well be a Default Create-a-Character: JRPG Edition.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

MechaX posted:

Well, Ellie, Kiria, and Touma are pretty cool, so I guess it wouldn't be all bad. Mamori... I dunno about. We should have just gotten Barry in the party instead.

Too bad the protagonist might as well be a Default Create-a-Character: JRPG Edition.

Read any of Itsuki's thoughts on beverages and you will regret your words and deeds. I agree with you on Barry, though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Okay... I'm annoyed and even somewhat offended. I tried to express what I was thinking - my friends are all idiots who weren't there for the rest of the game. A Shadow is not your true feelings. It's part of you and you can fight it and Namatame seemed to be doing that. I kept trying to say that but there was no dialogue option. I kept saying something was bothering me and off because it obviously was. But Nanako lives and time passes an dI leave and that's obviously not a good ending. I have no idea what I did wrong. It's not my fault none of the options make sense or actually convey what Iwas thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Okay... I'm annoyed and even somewhat offended. I tried to express what I was thinking - my friends are all idiots who weren't there for the rest of the game. A Shadow is not your true feelings. It's part of you and you can fight it and Namatame seemed to be doing that. I kept trying to say that but there was no dialogue option. I kept saying something was bothering me and off because it obviously was. But Nanako lives and time passes an dI leave and that's obviously not a good ending. I have no idea what I did wrong. It's not my fault none of the options make sense or actually convey what Iwas thinking.

Yeah, it blows rear end. Yosuke being wound up on the whole thing doesn't help at all and the dude's got murder by TV on the brain. How many questions did you answer before it told you that you failed?