Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Watched "The Tale of the Princess Kaguya" last night, wow, the Japanese really know how to use animation to tell more than just pointless kids crap or comedies. Art style was beautiful and the story was told in a calm, sorrowful way. Loved it.

Watched "Moana" today at the theater (Australia :argh:) and my 3 boys and I loved it. Thought the sequence with the coconut wearing creatures was a bit 'why is this here'? but otherwise fun. "You're Welcome" and "Shiny" the standout songs, Grandma the standout character imo. I found it amusing nearly all of the B characters were played by New Zealanders.

starkebn fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Oh and watched "Storks" the night before Kaguya, I found some of the jokes amusing but it was really just a crazy bunch of plot ideas mashed together for the sake of having something there. Don't regret watching it but didn't think much of it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Three animation nights in a row, take it easy pal

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Every night is animation night :shepface:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The game looks awful, but I'm more surprised they were allowed to mention the chlorine and ammonia bomb thing than the admittedly awful graphics.

The main reason anyone wanted Infinity was for the figures and that's why people mostly got upset Disney killed it literally with no warning They killed it because, while it was more popular than Skylanders and sold more figures, it wasn't popular enough for Disney. So, they not only killed the game, but Disney no longer makes video games anymore as Disney Interactive no longer exists. Though, there's mobile games now so there's that. Alice and the Looking Glass are the last figures for the game.

Marvel got their gaming rights back, which they gave to Sony and Insomniac for Spider-Man and the rest are just kind of everywhere else.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I haven't played it, but I hear that each Skylander is plays uniquely. None are reskins of others. Which is pretty crazy given the amount of Skylanders there are.

Actually a lot of the Skylanders play the same just about, just the visuals are different.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Marvel got their gaming rights back, which they gave to Sony and Insomniac for Spider-Man and the rest are just kind of everywhere else.

They also just announced a 4-game deal with Square Enix, beginning with Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy, as well as the upcoming GotG Telltale series.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Vegetable posted:

Three animation nights in a row, take it easy pal

Well, the family just watched "Trolls". Not seeing the great movie you've all been going on about. Mediocre bullshit pop-culture from beginning to end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Actually a lot of the Skylanders play the same just about, just the visuals are different.

Yeah, in the last Skylanders game the gimmick was literally 'create your own" (from one of a small set of classes with barebones customization options.)

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I'm still miffed we never got some Disney Afternoon characters before Disney killed Infinity. Really wanted Darkwing Duck or Goliath or Don Carnage. The game is ooookay (my goddaughters love it) but the figures are rather nice.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The developers talked that they weren't allowed to have characters crossover outside the sandbox stuff for legal reasons. But near the end of it's life cycle they were tossing ideas for a crossover storymode. Lego Dimensions got away with it because all the characters are legally distinct i.e Lego Marty McFly is not the same as regular Marty McFly.

If they were calling characters Toy Jack Sparrow from the start things could have been a lot differant

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I'm still miffed we never got some Disney Afternoon characters before Disney killed Infinity. Really wanted Darkwing Duck or Goliath or Don Carnage. The game is ooookay (my goddaughters love it) but the figures are rather nice.

I wanted a Scrooge McDuck.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The game is ooookay (my goddaughters love it) but the figures are rather nice.

I've never played the game and I never will and I still own a Groot and a Chewbacca. The figures are loving gorgeous and when Wal-Mart finally gloms that the game is discontinued and lowers the prices, I'll probably buy more.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Every night is animation night :shepface:

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wanted a Scrooge McDuck.

I would've killed for this.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Detective No. 27 posted:

This came out a few months before it died. The last set they released was some Looking Glass figures.

John Depp got three Disney Infinity figures.

Haledjian posted:

This is from March last year. Infinity was around at that point--i think Zootopia was the last Disney property that was added.

I was hoping that the reason the game looked like that was because it was some sort of undead product.

starkebn posted:

Watched "Moana" today at the theater (Australia :argh:) and my 3 boys and I loved it. Thought the sequence with the coconut wearing creatures was a bit 'why is this here'? but otherwise fun. "You're Welcome" and "Shiny" the standout songs, Grandma the standout character imo. I found it amusing nearly all of the B characters were played by New Zealanders.
I think the coconut pirate scene entirely justifies itself from the subtle joke of Maui trying to paddle the boat with his hands without the oar.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

As I recall, another wrinkle in the Infinity fabric is that the game mode you're all expressing distaste for was only the Toybox mode, and that there were several game packs covering various films that basically doubled as proper game adaptations of the films in question in their own right - that is, if they weren't forcing you to use Infinity, they'd have been pretty good standalone games. Some examples of that include Inside Out and The Force Awakens, to my recollection. Plus, Sumo Digital (Sonic and All-Stars Racing: Transformed, among other racing games) got to make a kart racing mode of some sort that was apparently pretty good, from what I've heard.

Would've been nice if Zootopia had gotten one of those game packs, though I'm guessing there hadn't been plans for it when Infinity shut down - I mean, you'd think it'd have launched alongside the figures.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Lego Batman is fantastic and chock full of references.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Unmature posted:

Lego Batman is fantastic and chock full of references.

Is Kite Man in it? Calender Man? Turner D Century?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

wdarkk posted:

Condiment King features prominently. All the Z-listers are there.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

wdarkk posted:

The first two, for sure. I don't recall the third.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Clock King? (Bonus points if it's the Batman: TAS version, Temple Fugate.)

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Went to Chinatown the other day for Chinese New Year. Saw some bootlegs in the shops:

Where did your feet go?

For some reason these were lacking mouths and had the white much higher on the face. Nick doesn't have the pattern on his shirt. These plushes also came in a much bigger size.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Wait poo poo Turner D Century is a Marvel guy. No idea why I thought he fought batman.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Went to Chinatown the other day for Chinese New Year. Saw some bootlegs in the shops:

Where did your feet go?

For some reason these were lacking mouths and had the white much higher on the face. Nick doesn't have the pattern on his shirt. These plushes also came in a much bigger size.
Well if Disney's hardly gonna merchandise the franchise at this point, somebody was gonna fill the void

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's weird, I see small plushies of Miss Bellwether out of all possible Zootopia characters in JCPenney's

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Klungar posted:

Condiment King features prominently. All the Z-listers are there.

They've also released actual Lego minifigs for King Tut, Calculator, Catman, Eraser, March Harriet, Zodiac Master and more. The Dick Grayson minifig comes with the shark repellent cannister from the 1966 movie. :v:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Today I learned that characters from The Tick somehow have less ridiculous premises than Batman characters.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Today I learned that characters from The Tick somehow have less ridiculous premises than Batman characters.

I thought that was intentional.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Something clicked for me watching the Cars 3 trailer for the second time and now I really want to see it? I don't know, I just really could get into a high-adrenaline racing film with talking cars, it seems... cool.

I haven't seen Cars 2 btw, is it worth it? (PS I hate the redneck truck)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shadow Hog posted:

Clock King? (Bonus points if it's the Batman: TAS version, Temple Fugate.)

Clock King is absolutely in the movie, as is Kite Man, Calendar Man, and Condiment Man.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

starkebn posted:

Well, the family just watched "Trolls". Not seeing the great movie you've all been going on about. Mediocre bullshit pop-culture from beginning to end.

I don't think it's for everyone, but I did find myself mildly enjoying it at first, and then enjoying it more having thought about it more later. I think it depends a lot on the person going in. I also gave the film a lot of credit for looking distinct. I still resent Moana for not having a distinct visual style.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GrandpaPants posted:

The Tick really didn't go far enough in parodying/satirising the superhero genre. On the other hand, it's impossible to parody dumb poo poo like this:

http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/The_Eraser

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Just got back from late night Lego Batman. Nobody warned me that the movie would be so gay. Incredibly gay. Fabulously gay. The crux of the entire plot of the movie is super, super gay. It's gayer than the old Batman comics showing Bruce and Dick waking up in the same bed together. I swear the ending dance sequence is a from a Richard Simmons workout video. Parents who got mad at Paranorman for the one gay joke at the end are gonna have their heads explode watching this movie. It's amazing and I love it.

As suspected, it's not nearly as funny as The Lego Movie, but that's a really high loving bar to set and coming up short of that still makes for an incredibly funny movie, like, funnier than basically any other movie I saw in 2016. And the action setpieces are fantastic, but it's really the emotional stuff that hits holds it all together. Every other Batman movie is happy to have Batman brood over his actions and whether he's making Gotham better or not, but I don't think any of them have him grow as a character as much as this one does. It's funny because everything about Lego Batman is a metatextual reading of the character's history, which means they actually delve deeper into Batman's internal struggles better than any other Batman movie ever has.

So, yeah, this is pretty much one of the best Batman movies ever. It works as a loving tribute, it works as a standalone film, it works as a hysterical comedy, it works as a meditation on loneliness, it just works really, really well as a Batman movie.

Hedrigall posted:

Something clicked for me watching the Cars 3 trailer for the second time and now I really want to see it? I don't know, I just really could get into a high-adrenaline racing film

Go watch Redline.

Cars 2 is not worth it, watch Redline instead.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Pick posted:

I still resent Moana for not having a distinct visual style.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Just got back from late night Lego Batman. Nobody warned me that the movie would be so gay. Incredibly gay. Fabulously gay. The crux of the entire plot of the movie is super, super gay. It's gayer than the old Batman comics showing Bruce and Dick waking up in the same bed together. I swear the ending dance sequence is a from a Richard Simmons workout video. Parents who got mad at Paranorman for the one gay joke at the end are gonna have their heads explode watching this movie. It's amazing and I love it.

Did you realize that the "family" picture that Robin takes also has Joker represented in the background? So Joker is part of the "family".

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
How about Bat-Mite? Bat-Mite might get me to see the movie.

Bat-Cow?

Ace, the Bat-Hound?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Just got back from late night Lego Batman. Nobody warned me that the movie would be so gay. Incredibly gay. Fabulously gay.

You didn't watch the trailer?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Pick posted:

I still resent Moana for not having a distinct visual style.

I hope you weren't one of the people in this thread saying they didn't like the animation during You're Welcome. And how about the Shiny sequence?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Do they set up any kind of future Lego Justice League movie?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Lego Justice League vs Step-on-Wolf, a really pointy character who fights by being stepped on in the middle of the night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Did you realize that the "family" picture that Robin takes also has Joker represented in the background? So Joker is part of the "family".

I did, actually!

Samuel Clemens posted:

You didn't watch the trailer?

I didn't, actually!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Nope! Though there is a cute Superfriend's joke