Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Without potatoes Matt Damon would have died on Mars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shrapnig posted:

I was ready to make a "what about scurvy?!?!?!?!?!" post until I read up and found out that potatoes actually have a good amount of vitamin C in them. I had no idea.

Most things you eat have vitamin C. Humans are weird in that we're one of the few things on earth that can't make it. The best sources are generally fresh plants. Certain fruits are good cures for scurvy because they have a gently caress load of it.

Under normal circumstances, unless your diet is atrocious, it's pretty hard to get scurvy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We lucked out in that guinea pigs are also unable to synthesize ascorbic acid.

Were that not the case, the cure to scurvy could have evaded us a while longer.

e: Scott and Scurvy

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Feb 12, 2017

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Platystemon posted:

Ius primæ noctis: the one weird trick peasants HATE.

and there’s no historical evidence for in any time or place.

I think you'll find that no matter where you went in medieval Europe, it was always happening one town over. :eng101:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

The Romans believed that eagles and sea-calves were never struck by lightning so they would bury the corpses of these animals in buildings in the hope that it would prevent them from being struck by lightning.

The Catholic church initially opposed lighting rods because they were seen as promoting superstition.

This ended after lightning struck a Italian church being used to store around 100 tons of gunpowder, which killed 400-3,000 people and leveled a good portion of the town.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brescia_explosion

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Potatoes and dairy, actually. Potatoes don't have everything but are pretty close. Technically potatoes and dairy doesn't have absolutely everything you need either but your body can make whatever else it needs out of what those things provide. You'll have to eat something else a bit to get molybdenum but generally potatoes can provide drat near everything you need if you eat a bunch of them. Apparently in Ireland, after the potato showed up, the average Irishman's diet was a bunch of potatoes, some milk, a bit of oatmeal, and sometimes some salted fish. They were described as "healthy and good-looking" so they must have been thriving on it. Until the famine, anyway. You can survive for quite a while with just potatoes but for long-term, normal lifespan survival you need other things but potatoes and dairy is drat near enough.

So yeah potatoes are pretty drat good food, so long as you eat the skin. That's where all the micro nutrients are.

For anybody who wants to learn more, I highly recommend reading "The history and social influence of the potato." It's starts off a bit dry for the first few chapters but the rest is really good.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Atticus_1354 posted:

Please enlighten us.

re: conscription

I can only speak for Denmark, but in the 15-16-1700s, our army was almost 100% mercenary. We literally had like recruitment stations various places in Germany so young lads could sign up & get shipped off to do war for Denmark.

Often, the mercenaries were as much a problem as the enemy soldiers. A couple of times they raped & pillaged their way through Jutland because they didn't feel they were paid fairly.

But we also had the "National Soldiers", who were Danish-born sons that were basically drafted. They were very much a minority, our army language was German still. In I think 1789 the king said "maybe the soldiers will fight better and not poo poo so hard on everything if they are from this same country?" So since then, we've had a draft.

Conscientuous objection was harshly punished until I wanna say the 1930s. Literally some people cut off a thumb or a bunch of toes to avoid service.

My dad was "called in" years before I was born. he objected & spent a year working at a local prison, bringing coffee & stuff like that. he hated it at the time, he told me, but he realized that he wanted to work with people.

i was called in 15 years or so ago. as an objector youre not allowed to do a "real" job. youre supposed to like sweep the floor or make copies. i got to do all kinds of poo poo and i hated it. i wanted to just be a floor sweeper and not talk to people

That's the story of the Danish military.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 04:33 on Feb 12, 2017

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Chichevache posted:

I think you'll find that no matter where you went in medieval Europe, it was always happening one town over. :eng101:

Or better yet, Primae Noctis was the well-known custom of whatever country yours happened to be enemies with at the time.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sucrose posted:

Or better yet, Primae Noctis was the well-known custom of whatever country yours happened to be enemies with at the time.

also im pretty it hasn't been mentioned yet, but apparently primæ noctis was made up to diss other countries

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The eponymous character in the Epic of Gilgamesh practices ius primæ noctis, and that’s literally the oldest written story there is.

It’s been a bogeyman for longer than the bogeyman.

quote:

A particular man had been invited to a wedding. To Uruk he ventured, to the wedding he would go. Enkidu was making love to Shamhat when he lifted up his eyes and saw the man. He spoke to the harlot: “O, Shamhat, lure on the man. Why has he come to me? Let me learn his reason.”

The woman called to the man, who approached to him and he beheld him. “Where dost thou venture? Why is the course of thy activity so burdensome?”

Then he opened his mouth and spoke to Enkidu: “I have been asked to a wedding, for to contract marriage is the destiny of men, and I shall lard the wedding table with delicious foods for the nuptial feast. For the King of Uruk of the plazas, open the veil, perform the marriage act! For Gilgamesh, the King of Uruk of the plazas, open the veil, perform the marriage act! He shall first couple with the bride-to-be before the bridegroom. By the decree pronounced by a god, from the cutting of his umbilical cord such is his fate.”

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 06:11 on Feb 12, 2017

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sucrose posted:

I read this as implying one country's soldiers practice it on the civilians of the enemy country, which is...decidedly less comical.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Platystemon posted:

The eponymous character in the Epic of Gilgamesh practices ius primæ noctis, and that’s literally the oldest written story there is.

It’s been a bogeyman for longer than the bogeyman.

Man don't bring facts into this pages long quote chain about nights the first!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

For real though:

- There is no evidence of any actual primæ noctis in any sources. Literally in this thread someone documented how it's all "that other country does it". It's pretty much just propaganda.
- But also, yes, soldiers in a foreign country rape everyone. It is what they do.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749916&pagenumber=97&perpage=40#post468328736

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My first and only knowledge of primæ noctis came from that one documentary in the 90s, Braveheart.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

another way to disprove it is just by thinking about it

in the middle ages you literally got whipped / paid a huge fine / were imprisoned / or even killed for extramarital sex. there exist thousands of records from hundreds of years in dozens of countries about it. you could probably stack all that to the moon and back.

so if there were some weird exceptions for extra-marital sex, there would definitely be at list a little bit of writing about it.

absence of evidence yall.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Powaqoatse posted:

also im pretty it hasn't been mentioned yet, but apparently primæ noctis was made up to diss other countries

In 18th century France, it was a way to criticise the excessive power of the nobility or monarchy without getting in trouble. Like in this play: it's set in Spain to evade censorship.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Kassad posted:

In 18th century France, it was a way to criticise the excessive power of the nobility or monarchy without getting in trouble. Like in this play: it's set in Spain to evade censorship.

gently caress you so much

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How many plays did Shakespeare write about contemporary England?

The correct answer is “zero”.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Zero One posted:

Without potatoes Matt Damon would have died on Mars.

he also had a big ol' bottle of multivitamins

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also ive read* somewhere that nobles could gently caress women if they got married

* i havent actually read this**

** ive seen a movie where its mentioned***

*** that probably makes it true? idk???

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cumslut1895 posted:

now if he was super fat, and had the vitamins still, then we're talking. ive read that he could survive for weeks in a vacuum just by being fat & eating vitamins

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

Often, the mercenaries were as much a problem as the enemy soldiers. A couple of times they raped & pillaged their way through Jutland because they didn't feel they were paid fairly.

mercenaries.txt

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cumslut1895 posted:

The vicodin he seasoned the potatoes with was crucial to his survival.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Powaqoatse posted:

gently caress you so much

Not on the first night. :j:

But seriously, I'm sorry? I didn't mean to say ius primae noctis is real, just that it could be used to diss the upper class as well as other countries.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Kassad posted:

Not on the first night. :j:

But seriously, I'm sorry? I didn't mean to say ius primae noctis is real, just that it could be used to diss the upper class as well as other countries.

Yea sorry that was harsh. It's just been mentioned in the thread several times :P

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Powaqoatse posted:

Yea sorry that was harsh. It's just been mentioned in the thread several times :P

So there was this bear called Wojtek...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Corrode posted:

So there was this bear called Wojtek...

That's the Finnish sniper bear that killed half of nazi Russia with a crossbow right?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Powaqoatse posted:

That's the Finnish sniper bear that killed half of nazi Russia with a crossbow right?

Don't forget the sword and bagpipes he carried at all times.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

He also hosed Catherine the Great to death after she rode him through town naked to warn about the British

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Potatoes and dairy, actually. Potatoes don't have everything but are pretty close. Technically potatoes and dairy doesn't have absolutely everything you need either but your body can make whatever else it needs out of what those things provide. You'll have to eat something else a bit to get molybdenum but generally potatoes can provide drat near everything you need if you eat a bunch of them. Apparently in Ireland, after the potato showed up, the average Irishman's diet was a bunch of potatoes, some milk, a bit of oatmeal, and sometimes some salted fish. They were described as "healthy and good-looking" so they must have been thriving on it. Until the famine, anyway. You can survive for quite a while with just potatoes but for long-term, normal lifespan survival you need other things but potatoes and dairy is drat near enough.

So yeah potatoes are pretty drat good food, so long as you eat the skin. That's where all the micro nutrients are.

Frederick the Great is also known as Der Kartoffelkönig (the potato king) because he brought the potato to Prussia. To this day people still put potatoes on his grave.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

During the Danish 1980s recession, the right wing govt implemented a whole complex of laws that are called kartoffelkuren ~ "the potato diet", as in we all better tighten the belt and eat more potatos cause nobody can afford meat irl.

At that time, my parents paid like two digits interest on their mortgage. I remember it as being more than 15% but that sounds completely insane and unsustainable.

Now mortgages are what, 3% ish?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Powaqoatse posted:

now if he was super fat, and had the vitamins still, then we're talking. ive read that he could survive for weeks in a vacuum just by being fat & eating vitamins

you can survive over a year

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/man-didnt-eat-for-382-days-but-somehow-lived-115956502923.html

http://pmj.bmj.com/content/49/569/203

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Norway we had potato priests. People were hesitant to begin growing potatoes (partly because they din't know which part was edible) so the king ordered priests to have sermons about how great potatoes were.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

In Norway we had potato priests. People were hesitant to begin growing potatoes (partly because they din't know which part was edible) so the king ordered priests to have sermons about how great potatoes were.

all kinds of stuff was done to make people eat taters:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine-Augustin_Parmentier

Potato publicity stunts

Parmentier therefore began a series of publicity stunts for which he remains notable today, hosting dinners at which potato dishes featured prominently and guests included luminaries such as Benjamin Franklin and Antoine Lavoisier, giving bouquets of potato blossoms to the King and Queen, and surrounding his potato patch at Sablons with armed guards to suggest valuable goods — then instructing them to accept any and all bribes from civilians and withdrawing them at night so the greedy crowd could "steal" the potatoes. These 54 arpents of impoverished ground near Neuilly, west of Paris, had been allotted him by order of Louis XVI in 1787.[3]

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

katoffler e kempegøj da, kvem ka itje lik toffler da? <- norwegian potato priest

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powaqoatse posted:

katoffler e kempegøj da, kvem ka itje lik toffler da? <- norwegian potato priest

What's more illegible than a dane? A dane trying to speak norwegian.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hogge Wild posted:

all kinds of stuff was done to make people eat taters:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine-Augustin_Parmentier

Potato publicity stunts

Parmentier therefore began a series of publicity stunts for which he remains notable today, hosting dinners at which potato dishes featured prominently and guests included luminaries such as Benjamin Franklin and Antoine Lavoisier, giving bouquets of potato blossoms to the King and Queen, and surrounding his potato patch at Sablons with armed guards to suggest valuable goods — then instructing them to accept any and all bribes from civilians and withdrawing them at night so the greedy crowd could "steal" the potatoes. These 54 arpents of impoverished ground near Neuilly, west of Paris, had been allotted him by order of Louis XVI in 1787.[3]

Eric Cartman’s potato patch

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

What's more illegible than a dane? A dane trying to speak norwegian.

lmbo that one was new to me

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Atticus_1354 posted:

Please enlighten us.

migration age tribes and vikings even later on had a society where all the free men were warriors, but when people settled down it was realized that it's better to have your farmers farm and pay taxes and let the professionals fight

landowning freemen were supposed to own arms and armour, but they could pay tax to avoid military service

these landowners and minor nobility were the pools where the mercenaries and retainers were hired from

the only militias that saw wider use were the city militias, but there was no conscription going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that's also partially why some lands were and are still divided into herreder/hundreds. that was the amount of farms/people that could support (grain, money, etc upkeep) an armored knight with all the poo poo he needed.