Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
No, the best ending is rustal being removed in the penultimate episode and the final episode being iok in charge of what's left of old gallyhorn as he faces down the opposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tae posted:

No, the best ending is rustal being removed in the penultimate episode and the final episode being iok in charge of what's left of old gallyhorn as he faces down the opposition.

And then while he's boasting proudly that he'll free Rustal-sama with this victory after landing a hit (not kill) on an enemy mobile suit, he gets wrecked mid-sentence.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Knowing Iok he'll find out that he has a gundam inside his families treasure vault, rush to activate it and learn that his family has always had a case of the idiot when he powers it up and inadvertently wakes up another mobile armor that they've been keeping as a trophy.

Caros
May 14, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

And the other reason he did not show up is because Tekkaden would have lost. There simply would have been too many decently trained enemy mobile suits. And extra war ships. Jasleys single ship out numbered them in mobile suits with is forces losing due to inferior skill. Iok's pilots would all be much better then Jasleys and would have out numbered all the other forces by around 10 to 1 or more.

The big reason tekkaden is going to be able to fight with Iok and Rustals forces in the future is because McGillis's forces will be helping as well.

Is this the same fleet of skilled pilots that got clowned on by the retreating turbines?

Because we have seen Iok in combat and no one was impressed. Yeah if he brings a bunch more than he brought to the turbines fight they could be in trouble, but the fleet he brought to he fight with the turbines was winning solely on dint of numbers, and even then they weren't winning well.

I'm not saying Tekkadan would have won in a wash like they did with jasley, especially with he two forces combined, but nothing about Iok's fleet apart from the dainsleif makes it look particularly scary to Tekkadan.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Also Tekkadan with the addition of one Gjallerhorn ship took on Dawn Horizon Corps fleet of 12 ships and were outnumbered in mobile suits and were winning before the Arianrod fleet showed up. Plus up to now most regular Gjallerhorn pilots have been shown to be pretty weak, only Einborg, Gailleo, Mcgillis, and Julietta were ever worth a drat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IBO is not a setting that does a very good job of providing challenges, to the point it's genuinely hard to say what Tekkadan couldn't beat especially because Tekkadan keeps getting increasing amounts of plot candy along the way. You can assume large numbers but it's hard to say how large numbers you'd need to press Tekkadan hard, let alone actually beat them, because 90% of the pilots in the universe are utter incompetents or press-ganged child soldiers.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Tekkadan has always gotten a lot of free passes when it comes to fighting superior numbers in the shows fight choreography. It would be completely unsatisfying at this point but it would be a much different story if enemy units were allowed to pack anything strong enough to actually land a scratch on even the Shidens. Not Dainsliefs specifically, just like, something conventional like of the caliber of Mikas arm cannons would make a big difference. Kind of funny to imagine some randos just obliterating the Gusion because of how frequently it relies on shrugging off regular potshots every battle though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caros posted:

Is this the same fleet of skilled pilots that got clowned on by the retreating turbines?

But they did not clown on them at all. They were barely holding them off. They ran back to Iok after the hammerhead charged his ship.

Caros
May 14, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

But they did not clown on them at all. They were barely holding them off. They ran back to Iok after the hammerhead charged his ship.

A small number of turbines inflicted significant casualties on the gjallerhorn force while retreating. I counted a single turbine suit that took damage other than the lead who got murdered by the deinsleif compared to about a dozen gjallerhorn dead.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caros posted:

A small number of turbines inflicted significant casualties on the gjallerhorn force while retreating. I counted a single turbine suit that took damage other than the lead who got murdered by the deinsleif compared to about a dozen gjallerhorn dead.

Yeah and that dozen only died cause a few of Tekkadens aces came to help. If that did not happen it would have been like five and the Turbine aces would have started dying. Said dozen is also a drop in the pond for their forces. They had hundreds more.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lots of people in this thread can't tell an A from an E.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Droyer posted:

Lots of people in this thread can't tell an A from an E.

Amusingly my autocorrect knew the word Tekkaden already. Pity bout the spelling.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Spoiler for preview image for the next episode

Looks like Choco man was a street rat. What are the odds he already has the AV system grafted in him?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Spoiler for preview image for the next episode

Looks like Choco man was a street rat. What are the odds he already has the AV system grafted in him?

I kind of feel like if he did he wouldn't have been so impressed over Mika's performance against the Mobile Armor but there's plenty of room for me to be wrong there.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
We've known McGillis was an adopted street orphan since season 1. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

I kind of feel like if he did he wouldn't have been so impressed over Mika's performance against the Mobile Armor but there's plenty of room for me to be wrong there.

Not quite. It could well be thoughts of "I can do THAT with my AV system? :swoon: This is the crazed slaughterhouse I desire to be!

But yeah, I'd bet money that he's got the full three spikes concealed under the back of his coat. Remember they're not really visible on the Tekkadan members in normal clothes either. Especially if he wore that connection cap thing over them. Or he has a more compact version made with 350 years of Gjallarhorn technological advancements.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 11, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Personally, I just want to see McGillis go out in a plain, generic, and very well-engineered Gundam that's only armed with a couple of plain, generic, and very well-engineered swords and has a plain, generic, and very well-engineered manual piloting system and do unto the solar system as he did unto Gaelio in the S1 finale. I kind of feel like him having an Alaya-Vijnana system would dilute that, and diminish the contrast with the monstrous, half-man-half-machine walking arsenal that is the Barbatos Lupus Rex (formerly known as Mikazuki Augus).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Personally, I just want to see McGillis go out in a plain, generic, and very well-engineered Gundam that's only armed with a couple of plain, generic, and very well-engineered swords and has a plain, generic, and very well-engineered manual piloting system and do unto the solar system as he did unto Gaelio in the S1 finale. I kind of feel like him having an Alaya-Vijnana system would dilute that, and diminish the contrast with the monstrous, half-man-half-machine walking arsenal that is the Barbatos Lupus Rex (formerly known as Mikazuki Augus).

Except we have pretty good reason to suspect he's concealing AV whiskers and has been all along from everyone.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

We've known McGillis was an adopted street orphan since season 1. :v:

We've known he was picked up from somewhere that wasn't as well off as the rest of the seven stars. Like the conventional thought was that he was iznarios bastard.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except we have pretty good reason to suspect he's concealing AV whiskers and has been all along from everyone.

We saw a shot of his back in the preview at the end of Episode 42. Bruises, but no whiskers.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
McGillis having whiskers would be the biggest copout and I really don't want to see it.

Mika is the monster in the suit, McGillis is the monster in human clothing. Let's keep it that way!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah I'm not really buying this "McGillis has whiskers" thing. He's always been portrayed as scary competent in suits that very obviously did not have AV hookups. I don't doubt that he's the distant son of McTits or whatever the Gjallarhorn founder's name was, but I highly doubt that he's been AV'd.

Now, that said, if he does end up being the end boss of the show, I could see him having a psychotic break and Ein-borging himself or something like it, given his adoration of Mika's power.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Yeah I'm not really buying this "McGillis has whiskers" thing. He's always been portrayed as scary competent in suits that very obviously did not have AV hookups. I don't doubt that he's the distant son of McTits or whatever the Gjallarhorn founder's name was, but I highly doubt that he's been AV'd.

Now, that said, if he does end up being the end boss of the show, I could see him having a psychotic break and Ein-borging himself or something like it, given his adoration of Mika's power.

I feel that the design of the Bael makes that slightly less likely. It's very plain and simple, without any of the fancy gimmicks you'd expect from an Alaya-Vijnana-equipped unit. Yes, I know that's how it was piloted in the Calamity War, but in the context of the show itself, it seems like it's set up to look like the ordinary, conventional suit next to the monstrous Lupus Rex, and any superpowers it's given seem like they might detract from that.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Latest episode is out, and uh.

:stonklol:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

Well, uh, that explains a lot of McGillis' hatred.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

Well, I guess that may be an indicator of where McGillis recruited all those cute young men from. Guy's created a dark parallel of Tekkadan and the Turbines inside Gjallarhorn. :stonk:

Also, it's interesting to look at the three main Gundam pilots' relationships with their machines and with the Alaya-Vijnana System. Mika is surrendering to the Barbatos, discarding his humanity to become a monstrous killing machine. McGillis is dominating the Bael, cynically using it as a political symbol and sculpting it to his own desires (giving it his favourite two swords) - it's the most humanoid of the three because the human is definitely in charge. Gaelio, meanwhile, has an equal partnership with the Kimaris Vidar, seeing it and its occupant as an old friend he's helping get his revenge, while in return, the Vidar cannot hurt him as it has Mika. It's very much a midway point between the two - not as human as the Bael, not as inhuman as the Lupus Rex. It definitely feels like despite all that's happened to him, he's the healthiest of the three.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's interesting that

McGillis is a child who never grew up. It reframes a lot of his behavior too. He's acting on childish beliefs, for childish reasons, with a deep and wholehearted belief in symbols and icons mixed with a distorted philosophy of power being all-important. It really reframes his view of Mika too in a disturbing way. We know why McGills has a Mikaboner now and that is because Mika embodies what he believes. Brute force and power. I suspect he probably thinks Mika feels the same way he does too. If all of Kudelia's time with Mika has any payoff it's going to be there.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
That speech Gali-Gali was giving was such a goddamn hero moment, and then he had to ruin it by re-activating the vengeful soul of his lovely idiot friend who is obsessed with child murder

The morality of this show, as ever, remains interesting

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Well, uh, that explains a lot of McGillis' hatred.
That's putting it lightly. :stare:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well that was certainly a... thing :suspense:.

Looks like I was half-right at least; Fareed used Ein as a guinea pig as part of his research for figuring out how to A-V an adult subject. Was there anyone who didn't see Ein being part of the Vidar Gundam? I thought it was interesting that apparently frying the pilot's brains was a known after-effect, it wasn't just due to lovely whiskers or anything like that.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
How the tables have turned, now I'm cheering for Einborg after all that's happened. This truly is the darkest timeline.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Logicblade posted:

How the tables have turned, now I'm cheering for Einborg after all that's happened. This truly is the darkest timeline.

I don't think it's so much Ein, as whatever was left of his brain stuffed into a box with electrodes feeding combat data into it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

That was a good episode.

I can't wait to see how all the naive revolutionaries deal with their enemies not just giving up now that they have Bael. Also Iok is going to get away with everything he has done scot free.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

That speech Gali-Gali was giving was such a goddamn hero moment, and then he had to ruin it by re-activating the vengeful soul of his lovely idiot friend who is obsessed with child murder

The morality of this show, as ever, remains interesting

Let's be real, though, Ein got poo poo on for pretty much his entire life. Gaelio's just trying to make some small amount of amends for that, giving what's left of him a chance to do something good and meaningful. It's weird and a little creepy, but it's positively benign by IBO standards.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm incredibly glad they kept Gaelio around in the end, despite grumbling about it when Vidar was first introduced. :allears:

Also glad that the Vidar's cockpit stuff was exactly what we all thought it would be.

e;

Such hard eyes. :allears:

I really hope they don't do the incredibly predictable and dumb thing of having McGillis/Tekkadan turn on each other at the end.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 12, 2017

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
okay if all you need is the brain of a guy who outright uploaded himself into his mecha, piggybacking on top of a skilled pilot contributing combat info, then really there's no need for a direct interface between pilot and machine

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm incredibly glad they kept Gaelio around in the end, despite grumbling about it when Vidar was first introduced. :allears:

Also glad that the Vidar's cockpit stuff was exactly what we all thought it would be.

e;

Such hard eyes. :allears:

I really hope they don't do the incredibly predictable and dumb thing of having McGillis/Tekkadan turn on each other at the end.

It's predictable because it's already been set up. McGillis has zero concept of personal loyalty, and has already spoken about the importance of keeping Tekkadan in line and under his thumb. Plus, we've already seen ample evidence that he treats the people he betrays exactly like he treats Tekkadan - Gaelio's speech this episode really drove that home. That's not a combo that suggests we'll be getting a healthy long-term relationship.

On a semi-related note, the brief, matter-of-fact cuts of Tekkadan helping with McGillis's coup were really chilling. They're not being shot like heroes any more, they're being shot like the villain's elite henchmen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

It's predictable because it's already been set up. McGillis has zero concept of personal loyalty, and has already spoken about the importance of keeping Tekkadan in line and under his thumb. Plus, we've already seen ample evidence that he treats the people he betrays exactly like he treats Tekkadan - Gaelio's speech this episode really drove that home. That's not a combo that suggests we'll be getting a healthy long-term relationship.

On a semi-related note, the brief, matter-of-fact cuts of Tekkadan helping with McGillis's coup were really chilling. They're not being shot like heroes any more, they're being shot like the villain's elite henchmen.

I've mentioned it before, but it's pretty clear how the end is gonna go. Even moreso now that McGillis has shown his true colours.

He turns Mars over to Tekkadan as-promised, then promptly declares war on them because he's turned the Mars issue into one with a big fat figurehead that can be crushed by brute force. Tekkadan gets pounded by superior numbers, McGillis has clearly liberated the planet by deposing its new Kings. All hail Gjallarhorn, the noble saviours.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I wouldn't be against the show turning around and Gaelio being the protagonist. Last 6 episodes being his battle against McGillis with Tekkadan defecting over now that the writing is on the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I wonder if the Lupus Rex is going to get another upgrade before series end. Also if there's going to be another Mobile Armour.

• Locked thread