Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

OwlFancier posted:

It'd also be a bit weird to have a bug hive and a dictatorship using the same ethos.
Sure but as it stands social democracies (a la Trek's Federation), bug hives and military dictatorships all share the same ethos.

The real issue is that superorganisms like bug hives don't fit into a model that has each empire being made up of many independent pops. Your superorganism can be Individualist in its interactions with other species/superorganisms no problem for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

GunnerJ posted:

I feel like hive-mind-type collectivism would probably be better served by a species trait since that's typically a matter of biology rather than culture.

Yeah this is what I want, more biological traits that do ethos related things and gameplay related things. Like lithovores that eat minerals instead of food, or actual bug hives, and maybe a biological trait for each ethos that greatly incline or limit that race to certain ones. Like maybe you evolved from happy flower people that have a deep biological shock towards violence, limiting your pops from ever being militarists. Or maybe you're some sort of bug-people who while not a true hive-mind are made up of various sub-species that are born biologically wired for certain roles and obedience to the hive's queen, limiting your ethos to the authoritarian side and slavery rights pegged at caste system.

I just would love to see more ways to customize your species vs your culture. Is this species X or Y ethos because of culture, or because of their biology and evolution?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
So there is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism, unless you are xenophobic.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Also I wish we could trade for consumer goods, or force other countries to give us consumer goods and set up actual economic imperialism where your people get high living standards off the backs of a galactic 3rd world.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

I mean if I was going to be armchair political philosopher I would say that egalitarian isn't entirely the opposite of authoritarian whereas individualist/collectivist seemed pretty easy for me to get.

It'd also be a bit weird to have a bug hive and a dictatorship using the same ethos.

Maybe I just have a soft spot for bug empires though because the gene modding bugs in sword of the stars were my favorite faction.

E: Mind you I guess that collectivist/individualist would now be sort of based on the unity mechanic, literally how collectivist or individually divergent your empire is.

The original idea was Heriarchical society vs Egalitarian society, which makes far more sense in my view. The idea that society has a hierarchy whether it be a caste system or feudal lords, vs the idea all people are born equal.

One of the reasons it's Authoritarian though is all the names end in -ian and authoritarian is the closest they could get.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Anticheese posted:

It'd probably be over-complicated, but what about specific combinations of traits that unlock another meta-trait that has advantages and drawbacks? Like Conformist, Communal, and Repugnant or something else to unlock a zero-point trait for being a hive-minded species. Locks you into a specific, powerful government type that has penalties for non-mechanical pops that don't have the same trait.

At least, before modification. :unsmigghh:

I think traits need a rework and will probably get one at some point in an expansion. This would be pretty cool though.

OwlFancier posted:

That's how it is NOW. After the change it won't be, because bug hives aren't in any real sense of the word authoritarian. They are distributed organisms.

(Still sad they didn't go with the actual opposite of egalitarian which is elitist, but authoritarian is close enough)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
do i need to start making jokes about my nutsack again in here

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Coolguye posted:

do i need to start making jokes about my nutsack again in here
That sort of thing should be kept in the Star Citizen thread, I'm told.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I'm probably going to end up getting this as soon as Utopia comes out, but until then I want to live vicariously. Are there any good LPs of this on SA or the tubes? I've watched a few episodes by Arumba but his incessant (and often counterproductive) micro-management is infuriating so I'm looking for something else preferably by someone who knows what they're doing.

edit: and I apparently just missed the game going on sale. So that's another reason I'll be waiting until Utopia.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

CrazyTolradi posted:

That sort of thing should be kept in the Star Citizen thread, I'm told.

Along with other things that will never see release.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Durendal posted:

:golfclap:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Durendal posted:

:drat:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
balls so blue and shrunken with lack of use i could put them on top of a parfait and nobody would notice

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Also I wish we could trade for consumer goods, or force other countries to give us consumer goods and set up actual economic imperialism where your people get high living standards off the backs of a galactic 3rd world.

Consumer Goods are just minerals, so... tributaries?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Ithle01 posted:

I'm probably going to end up getting this as soon as Utopia comes out, but until then I want to live vicariously. Are there any good LPs of this on SA or the tubes? I've watched a few episodes by Arumba but his incessant (and often counterproductive) micro-management is infuriating so I'm looking for something else preferably by someone who knows what they're doing.

edit: and I apparently just missed the game going on sale. So that's another reason I'll be waiting until Utopia.
The Paradox extra channel has an entire run (bit outdated) from the Devs as well as the new one by Wiz and the dreadlock dude.

Here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadoxExtra/playlists

Man, uplifting being a fixed cost at 5K is so expensive. Really, I wish that a lot of these things like that would just be something for a scientist to do that wouldn't put a complete halt to my research. It feels dumb that suddenly my entire societal research has to be halted so we can mod 3 dudes in my cap circle.

edit: btw, really like the look of the Ascension Perk of 100% increased terraforming speed devs

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 12, 2017

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

and the dreadlock dude.

Please respect former LP superstar cKnoor

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/____severine/status/830599780636045313

Okay fess up is this real?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/830741183517298690

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

This game never fails to entertain! :allears:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I don't get it?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zore posted:

I don't get it?

https://twitter.com/iamkindacody/status/745072115561291777

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah, and someone discovers it for the first time every few months.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

So if Egalitarian is replacing Collectivist do they love slaves? Or is Egalitarian replacing Individualist or whatever?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

nopantsjack posted:

So if Egalitarian is replacing Collectivist do they love slaves? Or is Egalitarian replacing Individualist or whatever?

Its not just a rename. The old ones are being tossed and new ones added.

Egalitarians will hate slavery and Authoritarians will be okay with it, for what its worth.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

nopantsjack posted:

It's the latter. Collectivist will be replaced by authoritarian.

Edit: too late

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

nopantsjack posted:

Collectivist will be Authoritarian and Individualist will be Egalitarian, but it's likely all to be changing anyway.

It does make me wonder what my Not The Imperium of Man race should be. Presently they are Xenophobe-Spiritualist- Militarist, but the only reason I pick militarist is to get full bombardment, but with Armageddon bombardment being part of Supremacy I guess it's going to be Authoritarian-Xenophobe-Spiritualist which does make more sense to me. While the Imperium does have a huge army and navy etc, plenty of the Imperium isn't directly related to the military.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

You could always just unlock more ethics picks.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
So I find my first primitives, and uplift them.

Fanatical purifiers.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

:perfect:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GotLag posted:

So I find my first primitives, and uplift them.

Fanatical purifiers.
Do their pops hate that you are allowing primitives to be uplifted too? :allears:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I uplifted a race that became fanatical spiritualists while I was fanatical materialists. They became quite a thorn in the side.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
So what determines if I can create a vassal or not? I know that I can release unhappy factions as well as if it's their alien homeworld, but can I do it with, say, synthetics?

Like, could I put a buncha synthetics into a planet, have one dude be very unhappy, resettle him then grant the planet independence as a synth planet?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mokinokaro posted:

I uplifted a race that became fanatical spiritualists while I was fanatical materialists. They became quite a thorn in the side.
To be fair, uplifting is basically the christian creation myth except the serpent has taken over Heaven.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This is why I'm looking forward to that "indoctrinate" button.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

This is why I'm looking forward to that "indoctrinate" button.
Yeah, it's a lil bit frustrating playing the game now when every time I feel like something is poo poo, I remember that they're working on fixing it.

Like, with the new ethics system in general but also the other things. Eh.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I hope it's not something xenophiles or pacifists or egalitarians are locked out of. Yes, I'm playing as a group of nice people who like to respect everyone's differences, but I would like to consult our xeno experts about the most effective form of propaganda to discourage our new friends from growing up to believe that all sentient life exists as food for them. I feel like we should have some influence over beliefs like that if we're uplifting a species.

Even if it's mind probes or something invasive, we've lost the "individualist" ethic, and there's nothing inherently non-egalitarian about coercive mind probes to discourage anti-social cultural developments.

Heck, even if we just install a sympathetic government like we do during liberation wars, that'd make more sense than just going, "Oh, okay, you're a slaving xenocidal star kingdom now. This is awkward."

Speaking of installing sympathetic governments during liberation wars, how's that going to work now that ethics can shift? Like most of the population are largely xenophobic and authoritarian, and you install a "nice" government after a war... what's to stop that all from just falling apart in a few years, with their state falling back into the horrible regressive form you found it in?

I mean in terms of realism... actually that checks out. Nevermind.

And I guess if you free a bunch of slaves, they might be more inclined towards the new government's ethics.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Hopefully though they havent mentioned it yet they are adding in the ability to influence factions in other empires with the new faction system. So a liberation government will be unstable, yes. But you can continue to prop it up until you get bored.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
:siren: Man-eating centipedes incoming :siren:

I finally completed the first versions of the two mods I wanted to make.

The Sentience before Sapience mod just reverses sentience and sapience wherever I found these terms. No longer is a self-aware AI forced to live in a box for centuries because your scientists used sentience wrong! :v:

But what most of you really want is this:

Weird Portraits and Namelists is one of the first mods I made for Stellaris. Upgraded many times, it now includes three additional (and rather cartoonish) mammalian and a brand-new evil centipede portrait. The last one properly under arthropoids, of course. A custom-name list for arthropoids or just generally really horrific aliens is part of the mod, too. The name list is still WiP, though. I'm still working on it.

Centipedes done. But gently caress, making this work took so much time the spider-portrait has to wait until next weekend. :suicide:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Goddrat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Libluini posted:

Centipedes done. But gently caress, making this work took so much time the spider-portrait has to wait until next weekend. :suicide:
Fanatic Pacifist? :ohdear:

Also it looks amazing.

• Locked thread