Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

And more wind noise coming from the owner than coming from the air.

Ain't that the truth. Back when we had three Tesla-havers in the office the entire afternoon would be range anxiety and supercharger chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The Bolt is legit. And yes, the brake lights come on if you regen-decelerate at more than 0.15G.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.
My RAV4 EV is pretty quiet at 60. I'm surprised road noise is a thing for other EVs, never considered that at all.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

drgitlin posted:

The Bolt is legit. And yes, the brake lights come on if you regen-decelerate at more than 0.15G.

Did you get answers on 50+ kW charger and roof rack?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

drgitlin posted:

The Bolt is legit.

No matter how good the car is, the name will always remind me that the GM marketing department is full of lobotomized chimpanzees.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Hawley-Smoot Tariff posted:

My RAV4 EV is pretty quiet at 60. I'm surprised road noise is a thing for other EVs, never considered that at all.

Toyota is a real car company. Also that is 100% a compliance car they don't care that they lose money on each one as it lets them sell 500K regular RAV4s. Too heavy just put a bigger battery in it. So yes it is an awesome car to own that is subsidized because of political hackery.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

drgitlin posted:

Blargh I hope it gets here to Nevada before end of May when my lease ends. Getting a Volt or a Leaf feels like settling for second best from what I've seen of the badly named Bolt so far. :smith:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Ciaphas posted:

Blargh I hope it gets here to Nevada before end of May when my lease ends. Getting a Volt or a Leaf feels like settling for second best from what I've seen of the badly named Bolt so far. :smith:

According to this article the Bolt won't come to Nevada until September when it's rolled out nationally. It looks like your only (reasonable) option for getting one in May would be to buy in California. If you can borrow a car until July you could also get one in Arizona which might not be as far out of your way.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 28, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bet it would be a lot of faff to try to get a repair or whatever done locally under lease if I DID go that route (which I would probably only do if I could get it home in one go, so <200 miles given the highway). Still, guess I'll at least see if Victorville or one of the other closeish cities carries them when the time comes.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 27, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah but there's nothing to break in an electric car anyway right? Do it

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah but there's nothing to break in an electric car anyway right? Do it

According to local taxi owner who runs Tesla S it has been more expensive to maintain than internal combustion cars. 17 k€ in non warranty repairs (power steering, rear subframe, doorhandles etc.) on top of warranty repairs (drive unit replacement etc.).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

As tempted as I am to go for the Bolt thing the reasonable part of me is leery about leasing a car with unknown maintenance characteristics, yeah. Especially from out of state. I'll probably play it safe this go around and go either Leaf or Volt, still haven't decided which. I don't need the Volt's range safety net at all--average 5k miles per year, no driving out of town in years--but the little what if is always ringing in my head regarding range.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 28, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

As tempted as I am to go for the Bolt thing the reasonable part of me is leery about leasing a car with unknown maintenance characteristics, yeah. Especially from out of state. I'll probably play it safe this go around and go either Leaf or Volt, still haven't decided which. I don't need the Volt's range safety net at all--average 5k miles per year, no driving out of town in years--but the little what if is always ringing in my head regarding range.

Possible option: Buy suitable depreciated Leaf while Bolt has its bugs shaken out, rent comfy sedans for long range.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Possible, and I've considered it, but the must have new and shiny bug bites hard so I tend to lease.

Fiscal responsibility is for other people :v:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A 3 year round with something else should certainly make for a well developed Bolt to come back to. Of course, by then there will be something else brand new and shiny, but unproven...

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Can you extend your lease for a few more months?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I would just go for it. It has a warranty. How bad can it be?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Even if you lease out of state, it's not like it won't be in state by the end of the year right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Certainly all true. I've got a few months to think about it though; current lease's last payment is end of April, then I got until end of May to turn it in. Not much point in turning it in early without debt forgiveness or something :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ola posted:

I would just go for it. It has a warranty. How bad can it be?

As a single-data-point, my Volt was flawless until ~50k miles, when they replaced the traction battery under warranty. I'm legitimately impressed with GM's recent quality record.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Ola posted:

A 3 year round with something else should certainly make for a well developed Bolt to come back to. Of course, by then there will be something else brand new and shiny, but unproven...

Well, if you have any interest in long-distance travel, it'd probably be a good idea to wait and see how the Model 3 stacks up against the Bolt. I'm pretty sure Tesla's Superchargers are much faster than whatever the Bolt offers for DC charging.

Plus there's the promise of self-driving software. Of course there's no guarantee that it'll come out when Elon Musk wants (recent tweets , but the Bolt doesn't even offer adaptive cruise control.

What else is due out in the next 3 years for affordable long-range EVs? Volkswagen has claimed that they'll have something with longer range than the Model 3 for less money in 2020, and Nissan has mentioned plans for a new Leaf with a bigger battery (though no word on fast charging capability).

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/28/technology/volkswagen-id-electric/

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

MrYenko posted:

As a single-data-point, my Volt was flawless until ~50k miles, when they replaced the traction battery under warranty. I'm legitimately impressed with GM's recent quality record.

I just rolled 40k on my 13. What happened and what should I look for?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

What else is due out in the next 3 years for affordable long-range EVs? Volkswagen has claimed that they'll have something with longer range than the Model 3 for less money in 2020, and Nissan has mentioned plans for a new Leaf with a bigger battery (though no word on fast charging capability).

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/28/technology/volkswagen-id-electric/

Not counting any pie in the sky moonmobiles, it's the big Euros with the VAG group, BMW and perhaps Mercedes who will make the high-kWh cars. But a just as interesting development is in the Japanese/Korean models. The Leaf and Ioniq both have pretty low consumption and with a 60+ kWh pack, those type of cars will have decent range and fast charging capability. An interesting aspect there is CHAdeMO vs CCS. CCS are now openly going for 350 kW stations while CHAdeMO seem quiet. If CHAdeMO doesn't develop faster solutions and the Asian cars don't swap standards, they will lose badly.

Btw 350 kW stations won't necessarily mean 350 kW charging pr car - but it might mean two cars can happily max out their batteries at 150 kW from one station.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

blugu64 posted:

I just rolled 40k on my 13. What happened and what should I look for?

Got an intermittent CEL in conjunction with an intermittent "Propulsive Power Reduced" alert, while driving. The car would go into range extender mode despite being set to normal, and having electric range remaining.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ola posted:

Did you get answers on 50+ kW charger and roof rack?

There is 50kW charging, yes. The CCS chargers cut off after 30 min so you'd have to babysit it to get a full battery using one (apparently that's a limitation of the charger, not the car.)

There is a roof-mounted luggage rack which is standard on the Premier trim, not available on the LT from what I can gather.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

We've known all along it was 50, I was wondering about faster than 50 since there were some mixed messages about that from GM. Since they are not loudly shouting 70 or whatever, I guess it's limited to 50. The 30 min limit is just a business decision by whoever owns/designed the charger.

And I guess I used the wrong term on the roof rack - we've all seen the lengthwise rails, I was wondering about OEM crossbars. Probably doesn't matter, they're ubiquitous.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Ola posted:

We've known all along it was 50, I was wondering about faster than 50 since there were some mixed messages about that from GM. Since they are not loudly shouting 70 or whatever, I guess it's limited to 50. The 30 min limit is just a business decision by whoever owns/designed the charger.

And I guess I used the wrong term on the roof rack - we've all seen the lengthwise rails, I was wondering about OEM crossbars. Probably doesn't matter, they're ubiquitous.

Oh. I see what you mean. No, every question about future upgrades was met with "I can't comment on future plans" from every single engineer. This is usual; I ask, they give me that answer. I did suggest I'd like to see a 300kW bimotor Bolt SS, which also got the same reply.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

DoLittle posted:

According to local taxi owner who runs Tesla S it has been more expensive to maintain than internal combustion cars. 17 k€ in non warranty repairs (power steering, rear subframe, doorhandles etc.) on top of warranty repairs (drive unit replacement etc.).

I hate to hold up GM as some sort of paragon of reliability, but I am pretty sure GM is better at all of those things than Tesla.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I hate to hold up GM as some sort of paragon of reliability, but I am pretty sure GM is better at all of those things than Tesla.

It's pretty easy to imagine a crew of greybeards passing down some knowledge of little design tricks that make components and systems easier to assemble correctly and reliably at big carmakers that haven't been recruited to Tesla due to the pursuit of stability and lifetime employment.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Doesn't Tesla buy a lot of off the shelf components from existing auto part suppliers?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's pretty easy to imagine a crew of greybeards passing down some knowledge of little design tricks that make components and systems easier to assemble correctly and reliably at big carmakers that haven't been recruited to Tesla due to the pursuit of stability and lifetime employment.

There's also partsbinning. the millions of modern front drive GM cars are a steering rack beta test for the bolt.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

blugu64 posted:

Doesn't Tesla buy a lot of off the shelf components from existing auto part suppliers?

Several major issues and production delays for Tesla have come because they refuse to use established suppliers.

There's also a difference between buying a COTS component and having it work effectively in your specific application.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

There's also the anecdote is not data angle to consider.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

MrYenko posted:

Mine was flawless for 18k miles until I wrapped it around multiple trees on an icy road. The only body panel that wasn't mangled was the roof. It gets a thumbs up from me on safety.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Weird question, but what are you folks paying for insurance on your electric cars? Due to the Bolt and new higher-kW packs coming out for the Leaf, I guess loads of folks are unloading their '15s off-lease and there are some killer deals out there for 12k-mile Leafs. I went though Geico for a quote, and even with the Leaf as a primary car that's only seeing 15k miles a year, my insurance quote has gone from $79 a month for a Mini Cooper S (Single Male US driver fuckery ahoy) to $180 a month to include both the Mini and the Leaf.

Are you folks finding your electrics cost more to insure than gasoline cars, or is this just Geico being weird with their risk pools? I'm actually good with dropping them, but finding an insurance company that is willing to touch an early-30's single dude is getting tough.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I found that geico really likes to jack my rates over time. I moved to state farm and put full coverage on my old beater for less than geico wanted for liability.

I also find it weird that you have a hard time finding insurance in your 30's? Really past age 25 with a good driving record you should get good rates. If anything my wife is a hindrance to our rates because she had a wreck a couple years ago.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Might be a credit rating thing rather than a single-male-and-age thing? We found insuring with Geico, making me the primary driver (neither of us having had any accidents, my wife having a longer insurance record, similar ages) dropped our insurance rate by about 30%, presumably because my credit rating is good vs. she did a bankruptcy to escape an upside-down house when that was a thing.

But we did also find that despite leases on EVs being insanely cheap for a while, the insurance hike that would result would have dramatically overshadowed the savings at the pump. Not sure if it's leases, EVs or both that made that the case.

(Edit: Of course this presumably-credit-rating finding is ridiculous, either way the same two people are insured, are our chances of having an accident somehow changed so dramatically by which of us is listed first on the insurance? It can't be a "chance of defaulting on payment" thing since insurance payments are up front anyway. Whatever algorithms they're using for their actuarial decisions are dumb as gently caress.)

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 12, 2017

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

angryrobots posted:

I found that geico really likes to jack my rates over time. I moved to state farm and put full coverage on my old beater for less than geico wanted for liability.

I also find it weird that you have a hard time finding insurance in your 30's? Really past age 25 with a good driving record you should get good rates. If anything my wife is a hindrance to our rates because she had a wreck a couple years ago.

I'm honestly shocked at how high my rates are, especially given I haven't had a traffic violation in more than 7 years and one accident when I was 16. But...

roomforthetuna posted:

Might be a credit rating thing rather than a single-male-and-age thing? We found insuring with Geico, making me the primary driver (neither of us having had any accidents, my wife having a longer insurance record, similar ages) dropped our insurance rate by about 30%, presumably because my credit rating is good vs. she did a bankruptcy to escape an upside-down house when that was a thing.

Yeah that has to be it. I had to lock my credit down as I was one of those lucky souls that had Experian/T-Mobile send all my personal information out to the internet after they were hacked. I was given 2 choices - use Experian's credit security service (snowball's chance in hell) or just lock my credit down. I chose the latter. I'll unlock it later today and start digging through State Farm and some other companies soon, because Geico is crappy. Also extra gently caress Experian because they did offer credit security through TransUnion, but only for like a week and they snail-mailed my notification almost a month after it happened.

And yes, it's hosed that they actually use credit to determine it when I know a poo poo-load of hilariously irresponsible drivers at my former company that make six-figgies all day, while the folks that worked the low-wage jobs were super careful because they realize that replacing things is expensive. As for fuel expense, I'm not into EVs because of cost savings, but more like a subtle "gently caress you" to the current US administration as well as the more positive environmental impact. I'm just taking advantage of a cheap, super-dependable car that is giving me the equivalent of 100mpg. :)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They want to make sure you're actually going to pay your bill. People with bad credit tend to be worse at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Godholio posted:

They want to make sure you're actually going to pay your bill. People with bad credit tend to be worse at this.
That makes no sense either though, like I said, because insurance payments are up-front payments. If you don't pay the bill you're not insured, so bad credit shouldn't factor in.
(Also, if the concern is that they issue a six month card and charge monthly, and they don't want to argue about the card being invalid because you didn't pay, then it would make sense to offer a "pay the full six months up front to get the same rate you'd get if your credit didn't suck!" discount for people with bad credit.)

• Locked thread