Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

This disingenous 'can't believe I'm agreeing with him' crap is staring to annoy me after the fifth time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Plutonis posted:

This disingenous 'can't believe I'm agreeing with him' crap is staring to annoy me after the fifth time.

Cry me a loving river, you tool.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

2017 makes strange bedfellows of us all

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Hey guys everyone needs to know that giant pissbaby Plutonis is Very Upset and is going to sit in the corner and sulk about it until someone gives him his juice box

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I don't even know you. What the hell.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Despite some peculiarities, World Wide Wrestling is the best game I've ever seen for really playing professional wrestlers. (You're not just playing Hulk Hogan, you're playing Terry Bollea playing Hulk Hogan.) I expect people who don't appreciate wrestling won't get into it, though.

I have wanted to play this so bad but like good luck finding people

For other PBTA games, I played Masks and I think it does a lot of the game system well but I think a GM should be REALLY open to letting players have the power fluff they want. Like by all means keep the "moves" associated with each class, but it feels really weird for example that the scion of a family of superheros can only be like a typical Superman or a Wizard or a Godling. If somebody wants to play that role but shoot fireballs and poo poo, I can't imagine any reason why a GM wouldn't want to allow that. Oh you're a reformed evil mastermind? Well here, you can only use robots or undead or whatever. No, we can't flavor that as you turning your giant Fisk-esque criminal enterprise toward good deeds despite it having zero mechanical impact.

edit: Also grogs blew up the D&D 5e thread so rip me

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Plutonis posted:

I don't even know you. What the hell.

you might not know them, but they know you. Or, you know, they know your banlist.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Goddamnit, I haven't watched or thought about pro wrestling since my college roommate who was into it moved out, and now I'm seriously considering getting a subscription to a japanese show where muscular dudes do acrobatic stunts with blowup dolls.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Desiden posted:

Goddamnit, I haven't watched or thought about pro wrestling since my college roommate who was into it moved out, and now I'm seriously considering getting a subscription to a japanese show where muscular dudes do acrobatic stunts with blowup dolls.

NJPW have a good streaming service. Also a 6/5 star match at the Tokyo Dome because holy poo poo

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Plutonis posted:

Never thought I'd be saying this, bu

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Sion posted:

NJPW have a good streaming service. Also a 6/5 star match at the Tokyo Dome because holy poo poo

Note that NJPW is also nothing like DDT except that it has some of their former stars, but even they're working a more serious style. It's good rasslin' if that's what you're there for but DDT is very much its own thing. Chikara is pretty much the only widely available promotion that reaches the same level of silly.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How do you remove a goon from your buddy list? Added someone on accident.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Covok posted:

How do you remove a goon from your buddy list? Added someone on accident.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member2.php?action=viewlist&userlist=buddy

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Plutonis posted:

:discourse: is good

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I have wanted to play this so bad but like good luck finding people
I'd do a PBP if I wasn't so busy. I'm afraid my Macho Man impression would be lost in that format, though. Same thing holds me back from running XCrawl.

quote:

edit: Also grogs blew up the D&D 5e thread so rip me
5e is bad. Have they even released any new books done in-house, or is Mearls still trapped in a wet paper bag after that tragic game design accident?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Halloween Jack posted:

is Mearls still trapped in a wet paper bag after that tragic game design accident?

The what now?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Why did my 5e thread get locked this time?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Covok posted:

Why did my 5e thread get locked this time?

I'd wager the four or so pages of Ariava and Endie popping off old favorites and new classics like this:

Endie posted:

Edit: oh wait am I wrong in using rational white-male evidence-based so-called "logic" that opresses fictional but equally-valid made-up positions? Were you also "hurt" by 5e? I think everyone who was hurt should post what this malign and cancerous set of tabletop game rules did to hurt them it'll be like an intervention and we can maybe make it change its ways and stop the carnage of emotional damage.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
5e fuckin sucks

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
5e is the second best edition of D&D.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
All D&D is bad. Eat Arby's.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Ferrinus posted:

5e is the second best edition of D&D.

Yeah, I could see it in a five-way tie for second.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Father Wendigo posted:

Yeah, I could see it in a five-way tie for second.

red book supremacy

Covok
May 27, 2013

Father Wendigo posted:

I'd wager the four or so pages of Ariava and Endie popping off old favorites and new classics like this:

Oh, for gently caress's sake!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Father Wendigo posted:

Couldn't those two have been probated instead of closing the whole thread?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Covok posted:

Oh, for gently caress's sake!

it is pretty loving childish that a TG forum can't discuss loving dungeons and dragons without someone filling a diaper.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

nelson posted:

Couldn't those two have been probated instead of closing the whole thread?

it's not like that thread had otherwise been friendly and charming up until recently, even when people were staying on-topic it was constantly full of paggro sniping towards The Wrong Side and yelling past each other

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Halloween Jack posted:

5e is bad. Have they even released any new books done in-house, or is Mearls still trapped in a wet paper bag after that tragic game design accident?

They've mostly been putting out adventures, from what I can tell. Guess they're trying to copy Pathfinger's success with that? Because if D&D has always had a problem it is the lack of adventures, to be sure.

(I often end up typing Pathfinger instead of Pathfinder and I'm just letting it go this time. Can't wait to start mistyping Starfinger.)

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Alien Rope Burn posted:

They've mostly been putting out adventures, from what I can tell. Guess they're trying to copy Pathfinger's success with that? Because if D&D has always had a problem it is the lack of adventures, to be sure.

(I often end up typing Pathfinger instead of Pathfinder and I'm just letting it go this time. Can't wait to start mistyping Starfinger.)

I vote this be entered into the curse-filter as new board canon

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

it points the way, to adventure

Covok
May 27, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

it's not like that thread had otherwise been friendly and charming up until recently, even when people were staying on-topic it was constantly full of paggro sniping towards The Wrong Side and yelling past each other

Yeah, the 5e thread is a mess of edition warring, the last time I popped in to update it (and decided not to bother). I personally don't like 5e, but it gets silly with how much of it is just arguing over the game and talking about how bad it is and how it is the cancer killing the elfgame industry. I mean, really, there are people who stick around it just to talk about how the game sucks and people are wrong for liking it. Like, gonna be the guy and flat out say it: it is silly how much 4e grogs decide to just troll that thread for the sin of the game not being 4e or 4e-like. I know we're a forum to discuss TRPGs, but it's amazing to me how much people can obsess and hate others over an elfgame.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I don't hate the people playing 5e. I do hate Mearls, Zak S, and the rest of them, and you know why. Don't pretend 5e is a neutral topic on these forums, something to despairingly cluck our teeth at like Palladium or bad World of Darkness books.

Beyond that, it's not very groggy to talk about how the latest edition of the most popular, best-known roleplaying game is horrible and bad from a creative and design standpoint. It's not just preference. 5e is objectively a bad game, one we've mocked since its introduction on these forums, and it's not stopping. It could be very little like 4e and that would be fine if it was good, which it isn't.

And yeah, it sucks that such a terrible game is the gateway to the hobby. That's also why there's so much conflict in the thread. Tons of new people who haven't played anything other than 5e, who haven't posted here before and don't know TG culture. They just want a peaceful place to talk about the game with other players, but they don't know why this forum doesn't like 5e at all. They want enworld and we're not that, but since it's popular there's a critical mass to make it something they try to enforce.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 12, 2017

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Arivia posted:

I don't hate the people playing 5e. I do hate Mearls, Zak S, and the rest of them, and you know why. Don't pretend 5e is a neutral topic on these forums, something to despairingly cluck our teeth at like Palladium or bad World of Darkness books.

Beyond that, it's not very groggy to talk about how the latest edition of the most popular, best-known roleplaying game is horrible and bad from a creative and design standpoint. It's not just preference. 5e is objectively a bad game, one we've mocked since its introduction on these forums, and it's not stopping. It could be very little like 4e and that would be fine if it was good, which it isn't.

And yeah, it sucks that such a terrible game is the gateway to the hobby. That's also why there's so much conflict in the thread. Tons of new people who haven't played anything other than 5e, who haven't posted here before and don't know TG culture. They just want a peaceful place to talk about the game with other players, but they don't know why this forum doesn't like 5e at all. They want enworld and we're not that, but since it's popular there's a critical mass to make it something they try to enforce.

What you don't realize (or maybe you do) is you keep making GBS threads up all discussions of 5e when other people want to discuss it in a grown up manner. Just stay out of all 5e threads and it would be much better for everyone involved, including yourself.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Everything I've heard about 5e indicates I wouldn't like it, but there are people who do. It's not like Mearls et al is going around and killing the pets of every player who didn't switch to 5e, so I don't see why the game can't have a civil discussion thread here on the forums. For better or worse, it's the current edition of Dungeons & Dragons, and it's where a lot of new players are going to start getting involved in the hobby.

If that means a few bad actors need to eat some probations, that's fine by me.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Arivia posted:

Imagine for a moment that there are people out there that don't know why because they're either A) new to the hobby and just want somewhere to hang out and talk about elfgames or B) deeply uninterested in the minutiae of whatever is going on with the lives of nerds that design games.

And, sure, I get that the game has been pooped on for a while but maybe go crazy and give it a rest or don't swing by the thread repeatedly to stink up the joint.

'Tons of new people who haven't played anything other than 5e, who haven't posted here before and don't know TG culture.' Because if there's one thing traditional games need to have is a higher bar for entry and a more insular culture :v:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
If I see a normie asking about RPGs I tend to screech and hiss at them like a frightened marmot until they leave

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Brother Entropy posted:

I *was* pretty congenial. There were occasional offshoots, but it was mostly a useful place for people to talk about their 5e experiences. Some people were even routed to better games through it, but most people just got good advice on how to run and play in 5e.

The downfall was 100% Arivia trolling.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Arivia posted:

Yelling at forum users for liking a game isn't sticking it to Zak S, it's just pissing off and scaring away people trying to get into a hobby and grow our community. Zak S is not aware you're doing this and, even if he were, it probably doesn't matter to him. Zak S is a piece of poo poo, but it doesn't then logically justify yelling at people for liking a game because they thought it might be fun.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Arivia posted:

You are not a rational adult. Go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Arivia posted:

I think the ten thousand word posts about how Elminster is your perfect waifu were preferable to this nonsense. I'm not a fan of 5e but you don't get to unilaterally decide what the culture here is and runoff anyone that has questions. That's not how you grow the hobby or create a welcoming community.

• Locked thread