Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Endman posted:

To tide me over until I can buy a Perry Hundred Years War box, I've done a test mini for my Austrians:

White pants straight from parade and into Napoleon's guns :v:

Oh wow I love this. I see you're using mdf bases - what do you use to do the "ground". And I cant get your kinda white to happen. What white do you use? And do I spot army painter dip?

Edit: new page so here's some Dutch Brigade sexyneas.

Commissar Kip fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I built a huge rear end 8x4 table and I'm really debating what game I should turn it into. I might make it a 15mm Team Yankee table, then just build a hybrid SAGA/WW2 table in 28mm.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Have you got space around it to store extra stuff? I've been planning to do 2x4 sheets of MDF that are desert on one side and grass on the other to stash away somewhere and a mat to put them on to prevent table scratching. Individual terrain pieces will be based appropriate to the piece or to the intended side of the sheet. Some stuff like hills is basically scale agnostic though and works fine for most things, and trees are easily used for 15mm and 28mm stuff, but will look a bit odd if you try use the same stuff for 6mm as you do other scales.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Phi230 posted:

I built a huge rear end 8x4 table and I'm really debating what game I should turn it into. I might make it a 15mm Team Yankee table, then just build a hybrid SAGA/WW2 table in 28mm.
3mm napoleonics or tanks.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

3mm napoleonics or tanks.

1:2400 naval battles

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Colonial Air Force posted:

Do what I said earlier, but paint the table black too and you can use it for X-Wing or other space games.

In like, I dunno, 1:17000 or something? Whatever.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

1:6000 ww2 boats. They're cheap and cool and you can get printable carrier deck stickers!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

Do what I said earlier, but paint the table black too and you can use it for X-Wing or other space games.

In like, I dunno, 1:17000 or something? Whatever.

My table is blue on one side, black on the other, for that reason. Then I lay down mats for grass or sand if needed.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Commissar Kip posted:

Oh wow I love this. I see you're using mdf bases - what do you use to do the "ground". And I cant get your kinda white to happen. What white do you use? And do I spot army painter dip?

Edit: new page so here's some Dutch Brigade sexyneas.

Thank you! I use a white undercoat, then a Sepia wash followed by a layer of off-white (I use Citadel's Screaming Skull) everywhere except the recesses, and then a layer of pure white.

For the ground I use the Citadel texture paint Stirland Mud, a dark brown wash and then a drybrush of beige and a few spots of static grass attached with pva glue.

I haven't tried the army-painter dip yet, but I'd be interested to give it a go as I've heard good things.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Drilling hands to put in spears and flag poles makes me reconsider my life

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

After posting here about chit-based WW2 wargames I think I have come to realise it might be a non-starter as my opponent does like a miniature. My current thought is to buy a couple of 15mm forces and run Chain of Command.

If I understand correctly, each side gets one of various platoons (i.e. ~30 dudes plus a command) each of which have a particular force modifier. Scenarios will typically have 2-10 support points. After using your force modifier, the difference in force rating gives you the level of support-tier you can engage. I.e. if I had a green infantry unit (-5) and rolled 7, while my opponent have a regular platoon (0) and rolled a 10, then there would be a difference of eight to me, so I'd get support to that effect and he'd get nothing extra? It seems tanks only appear in Support Tiers >5 so realistically one per side, plus a few utility vehicles, plus some counters to represent barbed wire, minefields, and some snipers/hmgs should do it - so let's say 40 dudes per side.

It would appear that both PSC and Flames of War sell their items in hugely inflated numbers - over a hundred per side:
http://theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_22_24_49&products_id=135
http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=79&CategoryID=13107&PageIndex=8

I don't suppose there are any sites out there that might split them? Or am I missing something obvious?

EDIT: Looks like Forged in Battle do platoons (with some support extras) for £18/per: http://www.forgedinbattle.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=90

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 13, 2017

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Southern Heel posted:

After posting here about chit-based WW2 wargames I think I have come to realise it might be a non-starter as my opponent does like a miniature. My current thought is to buy a couple of 15mm forces and run Chain of Command.

If I understand correctly, each side gets one of various platoons (i.e. ~30 dudes plus a command) each of which have a particular force modifier. Scenarios will typically have 2-10 support points. After using your force modifier, the difference in force rating gives you the level of support-tier you can engage. I.e. if I had a green infantry unit (-5) and rolled 7, while my opponent have a regular platoon (0) and rolled a 10, then there would be a difference of eight to me, so I'd get support to that effect and he'd get nothing extra? It seems tanks only appear in Support Tiers >5 so realistically one per side, plus a few utility vehicles, plus some counters to represent barbed wire, minefields, and some snipers/hmgs should do it - so let's say 40 dudes per side.

It would appear that both PSC and Flames of War sell their items in hugely inflated numbers - over a hundred per side:
http://theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_22_24_49&products_id=135

I don't suppose there are any sites out there that might split them? Or am I missing something obvious?

In most scenarios I've seen, you and your opponent use the same dice for support, so you don't roll two different sets of dice for support. But yes, first you go by scenario modifiers (such as the attacker getting extra points or whatever), and then you add the difference in force rating, to even out the odds.

There are scenarios with more or less support if you want to use more or less toys, or you can simply decide on a number if you want to (I've seen as many as 20+ points being agreed upon). Most basic tanks are around 5-7 support points in mid war.

Most 15mm gamers seem to play company level games or even bigger, which explains why it's so hard to find just a handful of 15mm miniatures. But you can easily play bigger games of CoC as well, if you want to use more miniatures. So if you have all those extras, you can field 2-3 platoons per side. It will take slightly longer, but your game will probably be faster by default if you have multi-based 15mm compared to 40 individually based miniatures to move around.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

EDIT: Looks like Forged in Battle do platoons (with some support extras) for £18/per: http://www.forgedinbattle.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=90

Is there a quality difference between PSC and Battlefronts stuff?

For $21 I get 100 Axis dudes compared to $40 or $45 from BF.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thanks LJ, I have seen CoC have a 'big chain' DL but honestly I want to get by with the minimum to see if I enjoy it. I will get 2x platoon packs from FIB (above) and one or two tanks. Now I just need to settle on a good opposing pair :)

Yooper posted:

Is there a quality difference between PSC and Battlefronts stuff?

For $21 I get 100 Axis dudes compared to $40 or $45 from BF.

IMO PSC looks alot nicer, and FIB (in my link) look the best - but I have seen NONE of them in person so please don't take my word for it.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Dirt Worshipper posted:

So I've started that 15mm Bolt Action/Chain of Command project I was mulling over. Here's the first squad of Germans with a 28mm figure for the sake of comparison.

Some Commonwealth troops with a Staghound are next up.

These are battlefront plastics

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Dirt Worshipper posted:

These are battlefront plastics

Nice, just ordered a platoon of Russians and a Platoon of SS infantry and some Russians - the plan is to paint them all up ahead of time, learn the rules and then wow my opponent in one fell swoop.

EDIT: and some tanks from Zvezda. I know nothing about them other than they are in the CoC list but I'm looking forward to going full 'sperg. I tried to get a spread of Support options values so they are in order for my Russians: a T-34, KV-1 and an IS-152. For the Germans, a Sd251, a Panzer II and a StuG III. I am desperately missing any kind of HMGs, Mortars, Snipers, Medics, etc. but I will attempt to kitbash them from the spare troopers I'm likely to have - it would appear the Forged-in-Battle sets come each with three squads of ten that include an NCO and an LMG team, and then roughly ten command figures so I should be OK.

Honestly, £45 including shipping for the whole lot does seem good, especially since I can repurpose for bolt action if needs be.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 13, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Ok so I played a bit of a CoC Demo game with myself and I have a few questions if anyone is able to help answer them:

How much and what kind of terrain should I be expecting? Malifaux and Infinity suggest around 1/3" of the board space should be entirely terrain, Warmachine is significantly less,etc. The two fat lardies demo appears to have only a couple of buildings but a poo poo load of hedges and trees and a few walled areas. Is this what I should be aiming for?

Deployment:
It seems that deployment counts as movement, is that correct?
This part of the 2FL video implies you can deploy and shoot, even if movement would otherwise prohibit shooting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV2V0prKt28&t=333s (starting around 5:20)

If I roll a 3 to activate junior leader, do all teams in his squad have to go to deploy from the same jump-off point?
Does that deployment count as activation for that phase? (i.e. could a junior leader use his power to have a squad that's deployed immediately start shooting? what about a non-activation power such as covering fire?)

Leader Power usage:
Can a leader use his initiative power to have a team shoot, and then use a non-activation power like a grenade afterwards? What about commanding a section to move (including him for free), and then using his initiative power on a unit which is only now in range? 1:15 in this video suggests he can:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUaweAci-5U&t=77s

End of Turn:
The end of turn table suggests that pinned units should check their level of shock to see if they stay pinned - does this infer that un-pinning only happens at the end of each turn, not when the shock reduces to the appropriate value by leader initiative powers?

Force Composition:
Generally speaking the reason it's advantageous to have sections is that you can't split 2's, and typically leader powers affect teams OR sections, the latter being more effective - right?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 14, 2017

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Ok so I played a bit of a CoC Demo game with myself and I have a few questions if anyone is able to help answer them:

How much and what kind of terrain should I be expecting? Malifaux and Infinity suggest around 1/3" of the board space should be entirely terrain, Warmachine is significantly less,etc. The two fat lardies demo appears to have only a couple of buildings but a poo poo load of hedges and trees and a few walled areas. Is this what I should be aiming for?

Deployment:
It seems that deployment counts as movement, is that correct?
This part of the 2FL video implies you can deploy and shoot, even if movement would otherwise prohibit shooting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV2V0prKt28&t=333s (starting around 5:20)
If I roll a 3 to activate junior leader, do all teams in his squad have to go to deploy from the same jump-off point?
Does that deployment count as activation for that phase? (i.e. could a junior leader use his power to have a squad that's deployed immediately start shooting? what about a non-activation power such as covering fire?)

Leader Power usage:
Can a leader use his initiative power to have a team shoot, and then use a non-activation power like a grenade afterwards? What about commanding a section to move, and then using his initiative power on a unit which is only now in range?

End of Turn:
The end of turn table suggests that pinned units should check their level of shock to see if they stay pinned - does this infer that un-pinning only happens at the end of each turn, not when the shock reduces to the appropriate value by leader initiative powers?

Force Composition:
Generally speaking the reason it's advantageous to have sections is that you can't split 2's, and typically leader powers affect teams OR sections, the latter being more effective - right?

Amount of terrain is quite personal, I think. We use a lot, as in mostly urban fighting, which makes some weapons better (SMGs, flamethrowers) and other worse (tanks, infantry guns, AT guns). But you want to have at least some terrain, as manouvering will be impossible if you don't have at least light cover or LoS blockers to exploit. Hedges and stuff is nice in that it doesn't block firing lanes completely, but the difference between no cover and light cover is big.

Yes, you can't move the turn you deploy. You can shoot, though.

AFAIK you can not deploy your entire platoon with the leader on a 3. You can deploy squads from different Jump-Off Points.

Yes, a leader can use his command initiatives to do different things in the same phase. For example, like you mention, use one CI to run towards a squad that is out of command range, and then use another CI to give it order if he can get within range.

Yes, teams only activate on 1's, sections can activate on 2's. You can make a whole section shoot with a single CI, compared to two if they were divided into teams. This is pretty great. Individual small teams are also easier to break/kill than a big section, making you more vulnerable to morale losses.

The rest I have to check the rulebook when I get home.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 14, 2017

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I picked up I Ain't Been Shot Mum. There's a few things I liked, one of which was the alternating activations. Do any other games use a similar setup instead of IGO-UGO? I'm thinking it'll help reduce the downtime for the other player.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Yooper posted:

I picked up I Ain't Been Shot Mum. There's a few things I liked, one of which was the alternating activations. Do any other games use a similar setup instead of IGO-UGO? I'm thinking it'll help reduce the downtime for the other player.

Well they aren't alternating as such, they are card driven. All Lardy games have a similar non IGOUGO system of some description

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

It appears that Warlord is going to have some rules for the Free French in Europe soon if not already. Is there any company that makes Free French minis in 28mm? Are there any good reference resources online when it comes to uniform colours and general kit if I have to convert existing minis?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Serotonin posted:

Well they aren't alternating as such, they are card driven. All Lardy games have a similar non IGOUGO system of some description

Alternating wasn't a good choice of words, but yes, along those lines.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Commissar Canuck posted:

It appears that Warlord is going to have some rules for the Free French in Europe soon if not already. Is there any company that makes Free French minis in 28mm? Are there any good reference resources online when it comes to uniform colours and general kit if I have to convert existing minis?

Afaik they used donated Allied gear, brittish or american, from pretty early on

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

quote:

The Free French forces of General DeGaulle had come back into the war bit by bit, first those who joined in 1940 in Britain, later other elements in Chad and Central Africa, Djibouti, Syria, the Pacific, etc. These forces had their original French equipment, but much of this was old material dating back to WWI and with France under German control getting parts and ammunition was difficult. Free French forces operating with 8th Army and other British forces used some French equipment but were mostly re-armed with British stuff. When the Armee d'Afrique rejoined the Allies after TORCH they had a much larger stock of French equipment, ammunition, and spares, but this supply was not bottomless and again much of it was obsolescent. The Allies began to re-equip the Armee d'Afrique on an ad hoc basis from the autumn of 1942 on with a mixture of American and British types, but the US eventually agreed to supply most of the French Army with American weapons and ammunition. American resources were not limitless either, and so French troops remaining on garrison duty in the colonies and Algeria retained their French weapons while the divisions scheduled to land in Europe got mostly American material. Some "non-program" units with French weapons also went to Italy and later France, notably the goums (Tabors Marocains). I think the British may have continued to maintain the 1ere DFL, but I am not certain about that. When the French got back to their homeland they immediately began to raise fresh units, but finding and sorting out equipment for them was difficult. The FFI had used everything they could lay their hands on, including old and new French arms, captured German weapons, and airdropped British and American items. All of this went into the inventory of the 1944-45 French Army, and while American equipment and some of the better 1940-era French gear (FM 24/29, etc.) remained first line standard right up until the Algerian War a given French colonial, newly raised ex-FFI, or second-line unit might have almost anything. The French Army of the 40s and early 50s was a fascinating mix of clothing, equipment, and weaponry from multiple sources, but it must have been hell to supply. As to supply for the French-made stuff, the Armee d'Afrique and other garrisons had some stockpiles of parts and ammo but these were limited. Some effort was made, I think, to manufacture stuff in Algeria but I don't know the details. The British got quite a bit of French equipment from the large numbers of French troops who landed in Britain after Dunkirk. These sources were helpful but insufficient, which is why the French adopted American types; they, at least, could be supplied with parts and ammunition and many were also better than what the French had gone to war with in 1940.

http://www.history.army.mil/html/books/011/11-6/CMH_Pub_11-6.pdf

Basically depends when and where your Free French guys are; British early, American later, hodge podge of old French, British, American, and captured German for freshly raised units in the middle of the Liberation. Vehicles were all American though.

e: Though apparently they never got the Garand, rather they were furnished with American license made Lee Enfields chambered in .30-06, so getting their bullets from the same supply

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 14, 2017

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

I'll just answer what Jonas missed or f'd up :eng101:

If you deploy a JL on a 3 then you deploy his whole squad, from the same JOP. He of course tags along for the ride on a 2.

And yes, it's good to stay together since you generally get to activate more mans as a section. Remember that teams from the same section still can be treated like just a section if they are within 4".

This means that on a 2 you can activate all teams of your section if they are close together, or just use one CI from a leader. Honestly I have yet to learn the point of splitting up as small units get pinned quite easily, so you have to be extra good at managing shock.

Unpinning and rallying happens at turn end. Which is also when broken units that don't rally run of the table. Remember that (iirc) there is a bad stuff roll for when a unit breaks and another when a leader runs of the table. Making brokeb units timebombs for your Force Morale, if their JL is still alive.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I don't often feel like bragging.

Bragging is bad.

Especially...

...if a certain historical wargames magazine, maybe an illustrated one, contacts you asking you to write for them.

BOOM

at least they didn't ask me to write about rules

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 14, 2017

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Neat!

I'll keep an eye out for your article(s).

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Neat!

I'll keep an eye out for your article(s).

Seems there's an upcoming samurai issue, gonna ruin this by submitting a four page article about how all wargames get
Samurai cavalry wrong since they don't understand that rode on tiny ponies who could barely trot with an armoured rider.

It'll be awesome.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

None of the Samurai wargames actually represent the period remotely accurately.

Buy Test of Honor, coming soon from Warlord Games

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

None of the Samurai wargames actually represent the period remotely accurately.

Buy Test of Honor, coming soon from Warlord Games

In the background, the sound of me committing seppuku after condoning a non-grognard game

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Deployment: deployment doesn't really "count as" movement (in that you can always fire during the phase in which you deploy), but with the exception of wheeled vehicles, nothing can move during the phase in which it deploys.

You cannot deploy "part" of a squad or section, with the sole exception of a scout team. You can always form a scout team of up to 2 men and deploy them in advance of the rest of the section. This is cool and good. But if you deploy a JL on a 3, his section deploys too.

Leader uses: Yes, you can use the leader's command abilities during deployment. For instance, if you deploy a JL and his section with a 3, that JL could then use his Command Initiatives to place the section on Overwatch. This is super useful if you deploy first, for instance.

And yes, you can shoot, then throw a grenade. Or better yet, throw a grenade, see if it had the desired effect, then decide whether or not you want to order the section to move into close assault. And yes, you can move into range with one CI, then use the remaining CI to command units that were not initially within your command radius.

Pinning: Yes, units only become "unpinned" at the end of a turn, and only if their Shock is below the pinning threshold when the turn ends.

Force Composition: The team is the fundamental unit of fire and maneuver (unless you're the Soviets, in which case it's the squad). Being able to separate the squad into teams allows you to (for instance) lay down a base of fire with your LMG team while your rifle team moves into position to launch an assault. Or lay down covering fire with your rifle team while your LMG team repositions for a better field of fire.

Isolated teams (especially supoort teams) can actually be difficult to work with because you MUST roll a 1 or have a SL close enough to activate them (and some, like Snipers, can't even be activated by a Senior Leader). If you are splitting a squad up into teams, it's often handy to have an SL close to one and the JL close to the other (both to increase your chances of activating and to manage Shock).

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

zokie posted:

I'll just answer what Jonas missed or f'd up :eng101:

If you deploy a JL on a 3 then you deploy his whole squad, from the same JOP. He of course tags along for the ride on a 2.

And yes, it's good to stay together since you generally get to activate more mans as a section. Remember that teams from the same section still can be treated like just a section if they are within 4".

This means that on a 2 you can activate all teams of your section if they are close together, or just use one CI from a leader. Honestly I have yet to learn the point of splitting up as small units get pinned quite easily, so you have to be extra good at managing shock.

Unpinning and rallying happens at turn end. Which is also when broken units that don't rally run of the table. Remember that (iirc) there is a bad stuff roll for when a unit breaks and another when a leader runs of the table. Making brokeb units timebombs for your Force Morale, if their JL is still alive.

Thanks for the update I do appreciate the responses. I'm mainly checking this out thanks to this thread so good to know it's got an active following. I'm not unfamiliar with Infinity and Bolt Action which this seems a hybrid of, with the leader mechanic ontop.

For some flavour I watched "Fury" just now and got some good feels. Now I just need to figure out how to model eastern Europe and it's terrain without breaking the bank.

Edit:wait soviets can't split into teams? I know they by default start as a full squad but their main special rule talks about splitting men off to a scout team?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

lilljonas posted:

Seems there's an upcoming samurai issue, gonna ruin this by submitting a four page article about how all wargames get
Samurai cavalry wrong since they don't understand that rode on tiny ponies who could barely trot with an armoured rider.

It'll be awesome.

From my understanding, the NHK experiments showed they could probably do a 6-8 mph charge with a fully armored rider. So their foot retainers could charge at the same speed as their mounted samurai masters. So Sengoku cavalry could charge, but it wouldn't look anything like a winged hussars charge. Heck, the winged hussars might not even consider the samurai to be galloping.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Southern Heel posted:

Edit:wait soviets can't split into teams? I know they by default start as a full squad but their main special rule talks about splitting men off to a scout team?
Yes, they can break into teams, but they don't start out that way by default. If you want the deploy a scout team in advance of your section, you can still do that (and you should, because your scouts are awesome). But if you wanted to have your LMG crew lay down covering fire while the rest of the riflemen in your squad advanced, you'd have to spend one of your JL's commands to form an ad-hoc team.

It's done this way because Soviet doctrine treated the squad (not the team) as the smallest unit of fire-and-maneuver. That is to say, under the Soviet SOP, an entire squad would lay down fire while another squad moved into a flanking or assaulting position. For most of the other armies in the conflict, they trained to do this at the team level. CoC reflects this doctrinal difference by making the Soviet squads slightly less "order efficient" when trying to tackle stuff as teams rather than squads.

And once the squad (of any army) is deployed on the table, splitting off scouts always costs a CI.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

NTRabbit posted:

http://www.history.army.mil/html/books/011/11-6/CMH_Pub_11-6.pdf

Basically depends when and where your Free French guys are; British early, American later, hodge podge of old French, British, American, and captured German for freshly raised units in the middle of the Liberation. Vehicles were all American though.

e: Though apparently they never got the Garand, rather they were furnished with American license made Lee Enfields chambered in .30-06, so getting their bullets from the same supply

Holy crap thanks for that pdf! Plenty of info to theme a proper Free French force around :toot:

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

lilljonas posted:

It'll be awesome.

That is awesome!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

golden bubble posted:

From my understanding, the NHK experiments showed they could probably do a 6-8 mph charge with a fully armored rider. So their foot retainers could charge at the same speed as their mounted samurai masters. So Sengoku cavalry could charge, but it wouldn't look anything like a winged hussars charge. Heck, the winged hussars might not even consider the samurai to be galloping.

Yeah, 6-8 mph during short spurts is what I've read as well. So not thundering cavalry charges, but a more efficient push due to the extra mass, and supported by infantry.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I can't shake the image in my head of a Samurai riding a tiny fat pony.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

I can't shake the image in my head of a Samurai riding a tiny fat pony.

I don't remember the name, but I remember reading about one samurai lord mocking another for having so small horses in their army that the riders' feet dragged in the dirt. Basically they dissed each other by saying that they rode on dogs, not horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

European horse-privilege is real.