Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Me, all the way back at the start of the season posted:

Mika has a close but kind of unhealthy friendship with the young, charismatic, silver-haired commander of a mercenary company that's heavy on the child soldiers. He has a busted arm, a busted eye, and a terrifying well of murderous rage that's the single biggest obstacle to his dream of a quiet life beyond his constant battles. He also owns a special, wolf-themed suit of armour equipped with arm-guns and an enormous sword that grants him tremendous strength and speed at a tremendous mental and physical cost.

Let's be honest here, Akihiro just doesn't have the Guts.

That said, McGillis has way deeper parallels to Griffith than Orga does. He even sort of cosplayed as him in his Montag disguise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So... uh yeah.

If Mcgillis can find another mobile armor (or build one) He would 100% try to use it.

He cares about power, power, and power.

Because that is all he was raised to understand.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That certainly adds some context to Mcgillis' relationship with his fiance.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Not really sure who I should be rooting for, so......uh, go get some, Atra.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's interesting that

McGillis is a child who never grew up. It reframes a lot of his behavior too. He's acting on childish beliefs, for childish reasons, with a deep and wholehearted belief in symbols and icons mixed with a distorted philosophy of power being all-important. It really reframes his view of Mika too in a disturbing way. We know why McGills has a Mikaboner now and that is because Mika embodies what he believes. Brute force and power. I suspect he probably thinks Mika feels the same way he does too. If all of Kudelia's time with Mika has any payoff it's going to be there.

Mika's reasoning will be to protect Tekkadan, the organization that Orga is the core foundation of. Without Tekkadan, none of the kids will have something to look up to. To quote Ogawa.

A10: Taking the social system in all its sizeable scale, to children and young people they’re a group to look up to because they have accomplished something with just their power. But from where adults stand, they’re a trigger-happy group, a dangerous unpredictable bunch. I suppose there are some adults, like Teiwaz’s McMurdo, who regard Tekkadan with approval and consider them lively youngsters, but few and far between… Either way, standing out too much may be quite risky.

To Mika, this is the closest thing children have to a safe haven these days. And Mika will fight both tooth and claw for Tekkadan before anything else. He has suffered the same type of mistreatment as McGillis but chose not to care about it, all he cares about is the destination Tekkadan is going and protecting it. A pack of wolves to speak with him at the head.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
It continues to be odd that the one person that has expressed interest in making the world explicitly not poo poo, and has done something to achieve that, Kudelia is sidelined on Mars for basically the whole season. If there was ever a time for her to appear out of nowhere it is now. More thematically though it will be when Mika is locked in battle with Vider and Mcgillis in a three way grudge match to decide the fate of the series

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah it's kind of hard to know who to root for. Currently Gaelio is winning.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah it's kind of hard to know who to root for. Currently Gaelio is winning.

Tekkadan's mad dash towards self destruction and McGillis' desire to become the most powerful person so no one can hurt him again aren't exactly laudable, but Gaelio is fighting to uphold the slave-owning, child-raping status quo.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

everydayfalls posted:

It continues to be odd that the one person that has expressed interest in making the world explicitly not poo poo, and has done something to achieve that, Kudelia is sidelined on Mars for basically the whole season. If there was ever a time for her to appear out of nowhere it is now. More thematically though it will be when Mika is locked in battle with Vider and Mcgillis in a three way grudge match to decide the fate of the series

Would be mildly amusing if, during the inevitable climactic three-way battle, Kudelia ends up resolving the entire thing via backdoor political manoeuvring rendering the outcome of the entire mobile suit showdown utterly pointless. Probably not going to happen that way but still.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Guy Goodbody posted:

Tekkadan's mad dash towards self destruction and McGillis' desire to become the most powerful person so no one can hurt him again aren't exactly laudable, but Gaelio is fighting to uphold the slave-owning, child-raping status quo.

Well no Iznario was just an rear end in a top hat and he is in exile now. Galio had no love for stuff like that ether.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well no Iznario was just an rear end in a top hat and he is in exile now. Galio had no love for stuff like that ether.

The problem isn't one bad dude, Gjallarhorn is corrupt and horrible from top to bottom.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
All three are representative of three very bad approaches to the future. Kudelia is having a hard time keeping up because everyone else has gone hyper mode with their bad ideas.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

The problem isn't one bad dude, Gjallarhorn is corrupt and horrible from top to bottom.

Yeah, but it's clear that "from top to bottom" includes McGillis. He's unfortunately just moving it in another genuinely bad direction where people like Mika are the goal.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Would be mildly amusing if, during the inevitable climactic three-way battle, Kudelia ends up resolving the entire thing via backdoor political manoeuvring rendering the outcome of the entire mobile suit showdown utterly pointless. Probably not going to happen that way but still.

Hey, 0080 did it! :v:

:smith:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Also :lol: that McGillis is basically an alt-righter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Also :lol: that McGillis is basically an alt-righter.

He just wants to Make Gjallerhorn Great Again.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/g_tekketsu/status/830696863716106240

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well this makes Iznario look worse back in the first season

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Guy Goodbody posted:

A lot more of Gjallahorn than you think can probably be salvaged for the new era.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
It was a slow goddamn burn with Gaelio doing almost nothing this whole series but boy was the payoff worth it. His tenure in the first season was characterised by him being McGillis's impulsive and bigoted wingman, charging recklessly into battle and being saved by Ein's sacrifices, and accepting the lifeline McGillis offered Ein without question. Ultimately, of course, he was betrayed and discarded by his best friend without understanding why. So it's only appropriate that he did almost nothing this season while he observed McGillis until he had grasped his true nature and his real plan. The fact he realised Bael would be McGillis's goal and subsequently identified the fact that McGillis values power alone shows he's achieved his objective.

There's no doubt that he and Rustal represent a calcifying aristocratic tradition that's exploiting all of mankind, but they also embody the kind of patience, prudence, and reasoned action that contrasts sharply Tekkadan's reckless drive. Rustal didn't hesitate to make peace with Teiwaz, avoided being drawn into a pointless political confrontation on earth, and refused to rush into battle even when earth had fallen into enemy hands. Iok, by contrast, is the ultimate clown who embodies the sin of thoughtless action led by sentiment and impulse alone. Anyone can tell Iok is a moron, but I'll be interested to see if Naze's warning comes true and Tekkadan's wild urgency also leads them to disaster.

McGillis, by contrast, has been the archetype of a manipulative supervillain until now. By enduring a horrific childhood, he gained an iron self-discipline and an utter ruthlessness that allowed him to easily exploit everyone around him. Thanks to that, he's been able to take Gjallahorn's throne and gain his childhood fantasy, Bael. However, he's become dangerously overconfident. His refusal to chase and kill Gaelio was deeply uncharacteristic and naturally confused and irritated the ever-pragmatic Mika. Rustal's speech describing him as an overgrown child hammers the point home, but idealistic and violent children controlling powerful super-weapons have a very good track record in this show. His revolution will not be easy to put down.

While Gaelio gets to make heroic speeches, Tekkadan are uneasy bit parts in McGillis's mad designs. Orga's impatience with the verbosity of McGillis's patsy was telling. Unfortunately, he's tied Tekkadan's destination to this revolution in the eyes of his subordinates. I predict an uncomfortable few episodes before McGillis inevitably betrays them and lets Tekkadan get back to what they do best, murdering the poo poo out of anyone who dares screw them over.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

That certainly adds some context to Mcgillis' relationship with his fiance.

Yep, that sure is a cycle of abuse there.

We can't even be sure any more that he has no intention of actually doing anything to her. :gonk:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I mean, there's something happening in the episode preview.

:ohdear:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
It's, uh.

It's pretty loving easy to see why McGillis wants to burn that poo poo to the ground rather than try to salvage it, now.

Jesus christ.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zwingley posted:

I mean, there's something happening in the episode preview.

:ohdear:

I'm guessing that is her father's blood.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kuroyama posted:

A lot more of Gjallahorn than you think can probably be salvaged for the new era.

Off of earth, slavery and child soldiers are common. Pirates and criminals have free reign, and are only challenged by Gjallarhorn when there's a political reason. On Earth, powerful Gjallarhorn members visit child brothels. The entire solar system suffers from severe inequality, brutally enforced by Gjallarhorn. The only good thing Gjallarhorn does is prevent war between the major economic blocks, and they do that solely through threat of force. The entire organization is rife with incompetence and corruption. It exists solely to ensure it's own future existence.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think an important thing to point out about Gaelio:

He legitimately believed in the reformation of Gjallerhorn and when McGillis spoke to him about it Gaelio was entirely onboard. While he is working with Gjallerhorn we're not given any indication that he's stopped believed that and if anything his words to Mika seem to imply that he really has changed. It's very possible that Gaelio, especially if he 'put down' a rebellion, would end up becoming the kind of guy who could legitimately reform Gjallerhorn and not just make it into whatever hosed-up thing McGillis has it mind. We're never given any indication that Gaelio is happy with the status quo and his own bigotry and prejudice has apparently been slowly beaten out of him.

That doesn't mean he necessarily would become that guy but it's entirely possible that in his actions McGillis ended up creating a real version of the mask he wore.

On an unrelated note: All the stuff about Bael having the "soul" inside of it make me wonder if they're being literal. We know Mika is gradually feeling like Barbatos is his body, is it possible an actual endgame would be Mika literally becoming Barbatos?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
McGillis Did Nothing Wrong

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I like how mcgillis gave little fucks on how or why gallu is still alive.

Also the funny moment of isuragi begging mika to stop calling his boss chocolate

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I like how mcgillis gave little fucks on how or why gallu is still alive.

Also the funny moment of isuragi begging mika to stop calling his boss chocolate

He got the shock of discovering Gaelio was still alive when they encountered the Vidar on Mars, and he was a little shaken by it then though he's had weeks since then to adjust to that discovery.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

ImpAtom posted:

It's probably not her blood, but that doesn't make it not awful.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

On an unrelated note: All the stuff about Bael having the "soul" inside of it make me wonder if they're being literal. We know Mika is gradually feeling like Barbatos is his body, is it possible an actual endgame would be Mika literally becoming Barbatos?

S3 kudelia piloting barbatos Mikazuki.
Or even better Atra piloting gundam

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Yep, that sure is a cycle of abuse there.

We can't even be sure any more that he has no intention of actually doing anything to her. :gonk:

I would say that's the one thing we can be sure of, honestly. He has shown no physical abuse to her at all so far so I'm not sure where anyone would get that from.

It's pretty interesting how things are all set up right now, we got a pretty obvious preview of the final three Gundams that are all gonna throw down for the final showdown. It's kind of a shame, since I was in the camp of hoping McGillis would legit just end up leaving Tekkadan alone after his plot ran its course since it would make for a surprise, but now that he has a Gundam... well, they gotta fight eventually. :v:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Guy Goodbody posted:

Off of earth, slavery and child soldiers are common. Pirates and criminals have free reign, and are only challenged by Gjallarhorn when there's a political reason. On Earth, powerful Gjallarhorn members visit child brothels. The entire solar system suffers from severe inequality, brutally enforced by Gjallarhorn. The only good thing Gjallarhorn does is prevent war between the major economic blocks, and they do that solely through threat of force. The entire organization is rife with incompetence and corruption. It exists solely to ensure it's own future existence.

I like how the season has set up so that nobody is clearly in the right. Gjallarhorn's order might be the closest thing to right but you still have horrible poo poo going on, both on Earth and beyond. And there's no interest in changing that. Reforms won't really fix much, not unless Gjallarhorn extends its influence all the way to Jupiter and comes down harder on everything including themselves, and I think that's a bit unrealistic. We don't really know the specifics of what McGillis is aiming for but I doubt it'll solve anything. And even in the perfect scenario where McGillis hands over Mars to Tekkadan and leaves them alone, they're hardly the perfect stewards themselves. Unless they can force all the powers of Mars to bow down to them, they'll be tugged this way and that by the ones that currently run Mars and end up being forced to make ugly compromises.

McGillis' childish aspirations threaten the whole ugly system, with all the good and bad that's attached to it. Rustal's more mature stance isn't really any better, given the things we saw before and just now. They keep giving Iok second chances even though he just tore apart a large shipping company in the solar system. While they've been reorganized under Teiwaz, tons of them still died for one man's grudge that is basically a result of his own childish inability to take responsibility for anything. The old Gjallarhorn tolerates that kind of thing. He's kept around only because he's still useful. Because he was born into an important family line, he gets to make amends again and again and again. Everyone outside Gjallarhorn? Fat chance, if you're not on Earth. If Rustal represents the better side of old Gjallarhorn, then Iok is the terrible side of it all.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ImpAtom posted:

Or Mackys after she stabs him OR her brothers after he's returned from the dead only to get up getting stomped on by someone.

Soooooo Bael was Agnika Kaieru's Gundam. Annnd from that episodes exposition on the AV system we learn that a regular human brain is overloaded by the data input from using it, which is why the Vidar has Ein's brain doing the computing as to not kill Galeio if he goes over the limit.

Soooo considering Macky points out that Bael has the "soul" of Kaieru in it, perhaps it has some sort of fragment of his memory inside it to help the pilot.

Compared to Mika who with is 3 AV implants can already go beyond the limits of his comrades who only have one; and is slowly losing control of his body presumable because every time he red lines Barbatos he chews up more of his brain as a processor and wipes away his motor functions. So I'm willing to be by the end of the season Mika is going to be basically the new Ein. Just a processor for Barbatos to run on; while Macky may not be willing to sacrifice his body to the machine.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Overlord K posted:

I would say that's the one thing we can be sure of, honestly. He has shown no physical abuse to her at all so far so I'm not sure where anyone would get that from.

It's pretty interesting how things are all set up right now, we got a pretty obvious preview of the final three Gundams that are all gonna throw down for the final showdown. It's kind of a shame, since I was in the camp of hoping McGillis would legit just end up leaving Tekkadan alone after his plot ran its course since it would make for a surprise, but now that he has a Gundam... well, they gotta fight eventually. :v:

Because he's a former child prostitute who apparently took all the wrong lessons from it, and is in the middle of seducing a pre-teen girl from the class that ruined his life. That raises pretty much every red flag ever.

I mean, I guess she might just end up as the Charlotte to his Griffith, but even that's pretty bad news.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Once Gali-Gali kills everyone he's gonna fix things using his status as a hero. Probably the only good outcome left on the table.

Chocolate man and the kids aren't making it out in one piece. Kudelia can only watch and maybe get Punished Gali to take care of Mars.

Or hell just give Tekkadan Mars(and maybe Iok) Gali/Rustal and then McGillis is all alone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fat and Useless posted:

Once Gali-Gali kills everyone he's gonna fix things using his status as a hero. Probably the only good outcome left on the table.

Chocolate man and the kids aren't making it out in one piece. Kudelia can only watch and maybe get Punished Gali to take care of Mars.

Or hell just give Tekkadan Mars(and maybe Iok) Gali/Rustal and then McGillis is all alone.

I think "Gaelio leads a genuine reform of Gjallerhorn" is one of the few potentially positive outcomes we can see for the setting. He and Kudelia are about the only two characters I can really see making a significant change for the better based off character arcs, position and setting. There might be a happier ending for individual characters but as far as the setting goes I think it basically amounts to them.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ImpAtom posted:

I think "Gaelio leads a genuine reform of Gjallerhorn" is one of the few potentially positive outcomes we can see for the setting. He and Kudelia are about the only two characters I can really see making a significant change for the better based off character arcs, position and setting. There might be a happier ending for individual characters but as far as the setting goes I think it basically amounts to them.

Well, unless Gaelio takes the reins from Rustal in a way that looks like a legitimate seizure of power, I don't think reform is in the agenda.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Argas posted:

Well, unless Gaelio takes the reins from Rustal in a way that looks like a legitimate seizure of power, I don't think reform is in the agenda.

I don't think that's impossible the way things are going. He just pulled a "reveal himself publicly and cut of McGillis" thing.

That said it's a long shot, but short of the complete destruction of Gjallerhorn (which probably isn't a good outcome for the setting considering who is lying in the wings) he's the closest I can think of to actually leading Gjallerhorn towards true reformation and not whatever bullshit McGillis has in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Argas posted:

Rustal genuinely seems like the sort of guy who'd peace out and accept his lengthy prison sentence for the Arbrau thing if he thought it'd leave Gjallarhorn in good hands. Dude really doesn't seem in it for himself.

• Locked thread