Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

ArchangeI posted:

That'd be it. Hiring non-EU people is apparently a nightmare of its own as well. Although I'll bug someone about the reapplication thing. We hired two people on the June opening (I should know, I was one of them), and this is supposed to be a new opening.
I would've applied for citizenship to another country already to get around that, but my family's been in the US for a few generations too many to be eligible for anything via that route. :v:

Hire me anyways, I'll ship my entire library over and donate it to the company to compensate for the extra costs involved. God, I want to get out of here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the demo for Realpolitiks is out and I will let you know all shortly if paradox is finished.

e: we're off to a good start

double edit: all the loading art is paintings of elderly eastern europeans playing the game on their computers

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 12, 2017

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Please keep us up to date. Need to know if I have a job next week.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Russia has nuked lithuania 3 times already and its only been a year since the game started.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
well, we're done

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Stairmaster posted:

double edit: all the loading art is paintings of elderly eastern europeans playing the game on their computers

You mean Merkel and Obama?

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/170411386767348116/3DB7506EDF8B9B58EE0766569C526C5C2A881476/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/170411386767347524/FDC6AD610648173701D2EF421C3ACBBEBE3DBB70/

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

LordMune posted:

well, we're done

You had a good run. :unsmith:

Amazing.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

That Obama pic is legit awesome.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

There's a pic of Donald Trump as a concierge as well. It's awesome.

Selling all my Paradox stock as we speak.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Those loading pictures alone have convinced me to download the demo. Have to finish taxes before I play though!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
This is me tomorrow

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I guess it's time to finally reveal myself as the secret puppetmaster behind the development of Realpolitiks. While pretending to be a loyal employee, I was working to bring Paradox down from the inside all along. The day of reckoning has come!

Wiz fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 12, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Groogy posted:

This is me tomorrow

do you accept salt?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Having done the tutorials, have to say it is not nearly as janky as the Supreme Ruler games, though clearly not as refined as Paradox more recent releases. It is definitely more gamey than simulationey and has a lot of moving pieces. Further report after doing one of the scenarios.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Wiz posted:

I guess it's time to finally reveal myself as the secret puppetmaster behind the development of Realpolitiks. While pretending to be a loyal employee, I was working to bring Paradox down from the inside all along. The day of reckoning has come!

I for one welcome our new Animeland overlords.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

What the gently caress is this. Does this game have space colonization? If it does I'm gonna buy it day 1.
Also, a reliable source told me Uranus is actually blue, what's up with that?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

demo status report: this game is dizzying and i cant say in a good way.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

i'm the anime wallscroll + JUDO BOY IV

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'd love to have Paradox games on my phone but I feel like there are hardware limitations. Paradox grand strategy stuff is very CPU intensive - CK2 especially with so many AIs making decisions.

yeah, the more complex and interesting a paradox game is, the more cpu it uses. so stellaris should be fine

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Arrhythmia posted:

i'm the anime wallscroll + JUDO BOY IV

If realpolitik is half as good as its loading screens then Paradox will have to buy them out.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

yeah, the more complex and interesting a paradox game is, the more cpu it uses. so stellaris should be fine

:vince:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

:iceburn:

Trip report, playing as Germany I forgave Greece's debt, gave everyone free internet education, allied Poland and Ukraine, formed a bloc with Switzerland, Netherlands and Austria, helped an anti-authoritarian motion pass in the UN, failed to pass an anti-nuclear proliferation treaty. Then Russia attacked Poland. I got Russia in the ropes, so they nuked Berlin and tanked my attack power (and increased their belligerence and brought the world closer to nuclear winter), so I peaced out liberating Kalingrad and... St. Petersburg as democracies.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Stellaris is good and fun tho

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ZearothK posted:

:iceburn:

Trip report, playing as Germany I forgave Greece's debt, gave everyone free internet education, allied Poland and Ukraine, formed a bloc with Switzerland, Netherlands and Austria, helped an anti-authoritarian motion pass in the UN, failed to pass an anti-nuclear proliferation treaty. Then Russia attacked Poland. I got Russia in the ropes, so they nuked Berlin and tanked my attack power (and increased their belligerence and brought the world closer to nuclear winter), so I peaced out liberating Kalingrad and... St. Petersburg as democracies.

Sounds like GOTY, I'm sold.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So is it actually a fun game to play or is it another Steppe Wolf that got on Steam?

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Phlegmish posted:

So is it actually a fun game to play or is it another Steppe Wolf that got on Steam?

I tried the demo and thought it sucked rear end. :shrug:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Phlegmish posted:

I had fun from the demo and am looking forward to the full release, like I said it is not nearly as bad as Supreme Ruler or Steppe Wolfe, though it has a fair amount of Eastern European jank and it is not as refined as CK2 or EU4. I really recommend doing the tutorial because while it uses a formula evidently derived from Paradox games it turns some assumptions on its head. The projects, task and bloc systems are essential to understanding how the game works, and it is much more gamist than simulationist in design. One major difference that I liked is that war is way more abstracted, you essentially assign units to a campaign and then order operations which uses and targets different units, providing or losing you warscore based on their success, which works, since the focus of the game is on geopolitics.

Germany and Russia got a lot of custom events during the demo, but they are probably some of the more content heavy countries and were deliberately chosen for this. I played through the Germany scenario, which tasks you with forming a Germanic Bloc and containing Russia as its main goals. It is definitely rough around the edges, the UI could use some work and the five years allowed in the demo while full are certainly not enough to assess the quality of a grand strategy game (See: Stellaris), so it is very possible that its systems break down on the long term and the jank wins over the mechanics, but appears to be a respectable effort from a new studio and I am glad to see new ideas being brought to this genre. I'll be likely buying it on the 16th and will drop fuller impressions when my schedule permits, provided it is not considered off-topic for this thread.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

How does it compare to POWER AND REVOLUTION

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

How does it compare to POWER AND REVOLUTION

Haven't played it, so I'll leave that one for you. C'mon, I know you like your jank, do it.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
When it comes out I will also buy it and post a trip report. Even if it sucks I love my modern day strategy games.

Paradox get on your poo poo and make Modern Day America Universalis please!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

RP has a real janky gameflow compared to the general smoothness of a modern paradox game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ZearothK posted:

Haven't played it, so I'll leave that one for you. C'mon, I know you like your jank, do it.

My laptop can't run realpolitik

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Has Victoria II (Steam) been patched to 3.04 in the last couple months?
You can still select the xmas beta or a 3.03 old version so I'm not sure what to use. No mods. Thanks :)

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Cantorsdust posted:

When it comes out I will also buy it and post a trip report. Even if it sucks I love my modern day strategy games.

Also give traits to real world leaders.
And distribute cores throughout the balkans at random.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cantorsdust posted:

I would pay good money for a Total War or Men Of War game where the United States collapses into a bunch of squabbling states. Gotta conquer your neighboring county with your redneck jeep militia so you can bribe the USAF into not bombing you

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Garry Parrish posted:

I would pay good money for a Total War or Men Of War game where the United States collapses into a bunch of squabbling states. Gotta conquer your neighboring county with your redneck jeep militia so you can bribe the USAF into not bombing you

A Shattered Union remake would make bank on Kickstarter right now.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kuiperdolin posted:

And distribute cores throughout the balkans at random.
Give every Balkans nation cores on the whole Balkans.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Give every Balkans nation cores on the whole Balkans.

Also on Istanbul Constantinople, and upon taking it allow them to form Nova Byzantium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Im playing realpolitik

Denmark just built an artic base. They stuck in with the rest of the scandinavian countries plus Canada vs the US and Russia.