Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Ripoff posted:

I'm honestly shocked at how high my rates are, especially given I haven't had a traffic violation in more than 7 years and one accident when I was 16. But...

Yeah that has to be it. I had to lock my credit down as I was one of those lucky souls that had Experian/T-Mobile send all my personal information out to the internet after they were hacked. I was given 2 choices - use Experian's credit security service (snowball's chance in hell) or just lock my credit down. I chose the latter. I'll unlock it later today and start digging through State Farm and some other companies soon, because Geico is crappy. Also extra gently caress Experian because they did offer credit security through TransUnion, but only for like a week and they snail-mailed my notification almost a month after it happened.

And yes, it's hosed that they actually use credit to determine it when I know a poo poo-load of hilariously irresponsible drivers at my former company that make six-figgies all day, while the folks that worked the low-wage jobs were super careful because they realize that replacing things is expensive. As for fuel expense, I'm not into EVs because of cost savings, but more like a subtle "gently caress you" to the current US administration as well as the more positive environmental impact. I'm just taking advantage of a cheap, super-dependable car that is giving me the equivalent of 100mpg. :)

There are plenty of people with low wages that maintain good credit and a ridiculous amount of high earners who have garbage credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There are lots of places that equate "good credit rating" to "responsible person". Having credit rating affect premiums is no weirder to me than the fact that marital status does.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's an insurance company. Their entire business is calculating how likely different groups of people are to get in an accident and cost them money, and the more accurate they can be with that, the better. I'm sure that somewhere in their petabytes of actuarial tables they can show that people with bad credit are more likely to make insurance claims for whatever reason -- either they have more accidents or they make claims more often or both. It doesn't mean your credit rating has anything to do with your likelihood of paying the premiums.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

blugu64 posted:

Doesn't Tesla buy a lot of off the shelf components from existing auto part suppliers?
Tesla's interior switchgear bar the touchscreen are 100% Mercedes-Benz.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I had Progressive attempt to double my rate after my car loan dropped off my credit history. I had no credit cards at the time or other debt (also started my highest earning job up to that point). Apparently the no credit history is bad credit triggered that, even though I've never once missed a bill for anything. I went to State Farm and got a lower rate than Progressive originally had me at.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

roomforthetuna posted:

That makes no sense either though, like I said, because insurance payments are up-front payments.

If you have decent credit, that's not always true. But it's all probability of responsibility. Bad credit implies bad decisions; it doesn't have to be 100% accurate, it just has to be accurate enough that it's not worth the risk to the insurance company. They're banking on YOU not being a loving idiot and causing them to pay out vast amounts of money.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Plus people who can't pay the car payment seem to have their cars stolen a lot.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

kill me now posted:

There are plenty of people with low wages that maintain good credit and a ridiculous amount of high earners who have garbage credit.

That's awesome for the former group because it's tough as hell, especially considering how something like a medical emergency can wreck your life.

Also I unlocked my credit and Geico is quoting almost half the cost from before, so that was basically it. Crazy how much they factor that in.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
What do you mean unlocked your credit?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Michael Scott posted:

What do you mean unlocked your credit?
He had his credit report set to approved viewers, basically. So the Geico couldn't get his report, which they equated to no history, which meant he got the higher rates.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

He had his credit report set to approved viewers, basically. So the Geico couldn't get his report, which they equated to no history, which meant he got the higher rates.

Exactly that. It's properly called a credit freeze, but I'm an idiot with poor vocabulary so I don't know to say that until I look it up.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's pretty easy to imagine a crew of greybeards passing down some knowledge of little design tricks that make components and systems easier to assemble correctly and reliably at big carmakers that haven't been recruited to Tesla due to the pursuit of stability and lifetime employment.

I think part of it is just that Tesla is a new company. People at companies unknowingly take advantage of and benefit from institutional knowledge at established companies all of the time. If you move away and create from scratch a product outside the auspices of the institution, you are going to get a few details wrong, and this is what creates Tesla's reliability issues.

Although part of it may have to do with conscious decisions that Tesla makes which are at odds with every other car company. Is it a good or bad thing that they decide to release cars not based on Model Year?

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 13, 2017

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

silence_kit posted:

Is it a good or bad thing that they decide to release cars not based on Model Year?

Well, for Tesla it lets them iterate faster and update the cars as the update is ready instead of waiting for next year.

It also means that their cars will be in the media a lot more often, since every time they do a thing it is news, while a yearly model update is an expected thing, not as interesting to the media.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My understanding is that the model year cadence is partly tied to the dealership model, though I helpfully forget the details and can't find what I read it from. Somewhat relatedly, I've heard that dealers won't let manufacturers do meaningful OTA updates.

Elon said at one point that 20 parts are changed every week on the Model S, but it's not clear what the scope of that is.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Elon said at one point that 20 parts are changed every week on the Model S, but it's not clear what the scope of that is.

Assuming they're using a production system that's a descendent of the Toyota Production System or at least heavily Deming-influenced, it's probably design changes to fix problems that arise in production, from pieces that aren't manufacturable as originally designed, difficult to assemble, or something like that.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Soo... I pre-ordered a Model 3 and decided to check out the Model S and X and the local dealership. Showed up, tried making conversation with the sales rep. The dude was leaning against the Model X like a complete assclown with the smuggest expression on his face. I told him I had preordered the Model 3 and was really excited about it, and he asked me whether I knew how I was going to pay for it. Lol what.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Car salesman is huge douchebag, news at 11

Long_Tine_Spork
May 21, 2009
Definitely think that geico doesn't like EV's too much.
Just for fun this past weekend I checked what a 2013 Model S would run me and found out that geico would up my premium from $887 to $2666...for 6 MONTHS!!!

I'm a thirty something single male, driving record is good, credit is great and the car is an '07 Prius, BTW.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

That's crazy. I pay $523/6mo for a '14 Camry Hybrid through GEICO. 500/500. Collision and comprehensive. No driving incidents and 730 credit.

Maybe location is your issue? I have a suburban zip code. If you're inner city, I'm sure that's priced into your insurance.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Geico is a particularly lovely company in a lovely industry, news at 11.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Godholio posted:

But they've got that adorable duck in their ads!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Geico has a habit of not refusing anyone. But if they don't want to insure you, the rates skyrocket.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I have a feeling that applies to most major carriers, we had the same convo about State Farm before. The real price competition probably occurs for drivers with perfect records, once you stray from that you're probably going to end up costing the insurance company money at some point. Especially as a single young male.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 14, 2017

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Sagebrush posted:

It's an insurance company. Their entire business is calculating how likely different groups of people are to get in an accident and cost them money, and the more accurate they can be with that, the better.
Yeah, my point was that they're loving terrible at their business, given that insuring two cars for A+B (my wife and me) would have cost $300 a year more than insuring the same two cars for B+A (me and my wife). It's pretty goddamn obvious that there is zero difference in likelihood of making a claim between these two configurations, so their actuarial tables are wrong one way or the other.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

roomforthetuna posted:

Yeah, my point was that they're loving terrible at their business, given that insuring two cars for A+B (my wife and me) would have cost $300 a year more than insuring the same two cars for B+A (me and my wife). It's pretty goddamn obvious that there is zero difference in likelihood of making a claim between these two configurations, so their actuarial tables are wrong one way or the other.

I believe the logic there is that the primary driver is the person who will be driving the car more, so if you put the person with the worse record as the primary, the premiums will be higher.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I believe the logic there is that the primary driver is the person who will be driving the car more, so if you put the person with the worse record as the primary, the premiums will be higher.

Typically the systems automatically rate the highest risk driver against the highest risk car. If they are on the same policy, the assumption is that any of the policy drivers could drive any of the vehicles.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
And then bringing it back to the thread topic, is it really the case that electric cars are more likely to be in [more expensive] accidents? Clearly we can't infer that it's so from the fact (?) that insurance companies charge more, because the A+B vs B+A thing aptly demonstrates that their calculations are not reliably meaningful.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I expected the insurance on my 2017 Volt to be high... But was pleasantly surprised to discover this was not the case. It is in fact cheaper than my other car.. a 2011 Ford Fusion. $366/6 months on a 500 deductible

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

roomforthetuna posted:

And then bringing it back to the thread topic, is it really the case that electric cars are more likely to be in [more expensive] accidents? Clearly we can't infer that it's so from the fact (?) that insurance companies charge more, because the A+B vs B+A thing aptly demonstrates that their calculations are not reliably meaningful.

Teslas are expensive, even when you include the government subsidy. It is not that shocking to me that insurance rates for them are really high.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Volt and Leaf should be decent now. The first couple years of release on a new model can be a guessing game though. They don't have details on the kinds of purchasers of the model or how expensive repairs will be. And they might base it off something in a similar class, style/price/HP. Additionally, you really don't want to get in an accident with a new model, cause replacement parts might not be available for months.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

roomforthetuna posted:

Right now most electric vehicles haven't been out for very long. That means repairs are likely to be more expensive since most of the parts will need to come from the manufacturer and there aren't 3rd party sources (or junkyards to pull from).

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I think the post office has lost the plate for my car :mad: Been waiting a little over 3 weeks now and still have not received my plate. And my temp tag expired a week ago.

DMV says it was mailed out and I should have received it. Wonderful.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I am finding the artificial noise the '16-'17 Volts make when in gear a bit annoying. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-l3VH3EZb0) It is not supposed to be audible inside the car, but I notice it sometimes.

Wonder where that speaker is and if I can disconnect it.... Not like it really does any good anyways. In a parking lot people still don't hear you creeping up behind them.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
My insurance only went up $8 a year changing from a 2004 Forester to a 2013 Leaf, comprehensive on both. It's my 2nd car on the policy, however. When I tried to add the Leaf as a 3rd car to my insurance they wanted to add over $1000 a year to my policy! Come on guys shouldn't I qualify for a redneck discount or something, I can only drive one car at a time! Ended up putting the Subi on my wife's insurance with me as the primary for +$350/year and I just have the two cars on mine. 2 and 2 is cheaper than 1 and 3 for us.

I also passed my first 3000 miles of all EV driving. The Leaf is just a normal rear end car, if it were an ICE it would just be another POS boring commuter box. It doesn't handle great and has a bumpy ride and suffers from torque steer. But it's electric so it's not just another lovely boring car. Being electric just makes an average car into a great car. I cannot wait for Mazda's first EV.

I am going to pull the plug on the speaker for the pedestrian noise soon I think. The reverse chime is so goddamn annoying. I almost got ran down by a Leaf at the Nissan dealer the other day, didn't hear the buzzer until it already passed me, not very useful!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Vitamin J posted:

I also passed my first 3000 miles of all EV driving. The Leaf is just a normal rear end car, if it were an ICE it would just be another POS boring commuter box. It doesn't handle great and has a bumpy ride and suffers from torque steer. But it's electric so it's not just another lovely boring car. Being electric just makes an average car into a great car. I cannot wait for Mazda's first EV.

http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/8980

I'm 68% or 1250 miles EV driving thus far... Should get a lot better going into summer. My EV range at 30°F with the heater on is around 38-41 or 60ish MPGe. Running the heater really puts a dent in range.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Godholio posted:

I pay $330 every six months for comprehensive on a 2 door sports car. $1M in liability. Geico's always been pretty good to me. :shrug:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I hope you never have to file a claim.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Godholio posted:

I hope you never have to file a claim.

I actually filed one about a year ago (my first ever) after I hit a giant pothole on the highway that destroyed a rim/new tire/trim. I wasn't found at fault, but I was still expecting the worst since I was only paying $220/6 months for a GTI with the same coverage. No increase in my premiums at all, which was confusing but nice.

Long_Tine_Spork
May 21, 2009
Since we're back on insurance chat, my premium is as high as it is mostly because of where I live. It went up by over $200 per 6 months when I moved from Galveston county to Harris county, whereas a total loss claim (1st claim with Geico and 1st claim of any kind in over a decade) in 2012 only raised my rates by about $20 per 6 month period.

Still think Geico doesn't like EVs though as they aren't even giving quotes on the Bolt yet :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Long_Tine_Spork posted:

Since we're back on insurance chat, my premium is as high as it is mostly because of where I live. It went up by over $200 per 6 months when I moved from Galveston county to Harris county, whereas a total loss claim (1st claim with Geico and 1st claim of any kind in over a decade) in 2012 only raised my rates by about $20 per 6 month period.

Still think Geico doesn't like EVs though as they aren't even giving quotes on the Bolt yet :mad:

I don't think all the specs have been released yet. It doesn't much matter because the rates will fluctuate a lot as they get actuarial data.

The scion FRS/ Subaru BRZ were like this, after a bunch of people wrapped then around a tree the rates skyrocketed.

• Locked thread