Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Hand Knit posted:

hey it's 2017 do you guys want a new thread title?

fallingdownjoe posted:

Rugby Union 2017 - AM NOT A FIGHT AM A LOVER BOY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Second this.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
:siren:Context:siren:

This JPG is the highlight of the Six Nations so far.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Tyma posted:

The only decent thing that I've ever found on reddit

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
you got it

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

:perfect:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Tyma posted:

This is coming from the man who convinced me to proclaim live on national Radio that Finn Russell was the future of Lions Rugby.

I said you had to do that for Hugh Blake. Who's even more ridiculous.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Farrell at 10 for the Lions and 12 for England would be funny.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Tyma posted:

lmao nice

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

goatface posted:

Farrell at 10 for the Lions and 12 for England would be funny.

They made Hogg play at 10 for the midweek Lions because he'd played at 10 a little while at high school so it wouldn't be the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

An English tabloid newspaper has incriminating footage of drunk Gareth Davies viciously attacking an old man with a shoe :allears:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/2837883/six-nations-gareth-davies-fight-video-bouncers-wales/

Davies for lions!

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Vaders Jester posted:

They made Hogg play at 10 for the midweek Lions because he'd played at 10 a little while at high school so it wouldn't be the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Hogg played 10 for Glasgow for a couple of games also. It was...er...interesting. He wasn't bad per se, but you could tell it wasn't a natural fit for him.

quote:

So how badly does today impact Russell's Lions bid?

What everyone else said - I don't think he's that high up on the list. He might be called up and given an off game, but there's other players ahead of him in the queue.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Tyma posted:

:golfclap:

WMain00 posted:

Hogg played 10 for Glasgow for a couple of games also. It was...er...interesting. He wasn't bad per se, but you could tell it wasn't a natural fit for him.

Yeah, I think this was in the run up to the Lions because Gatland had asked for him to get some experience, he's done it a couple of times since but he's clearly a fullback. Like you say, it was... interesting.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 12, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goatface posted:

The scrum was a silly amount lighter. The French pack is full of fatboys.

I think they were about 950kg today, they could have made 1000 with the biggest 8 in the squad :stare:

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

The French pack is big but mostly shite. If nel and Dickenson were fit we would have cunted them.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Vaders Jester posted:

:golfclap:

Yeah, I think this was in the run up to the Lions because Gatland had asked for him to get some experience, he's done it a couple of times since but he's clearly a fullback. Like you say, it was... interesting.

He played stand off for hawick.

Hogg has played 10 once for Glasgow, a few weeks back against Treviso, he was fine but its only Treviso. This was because the only other option was Rory Clegg, and he's gash. Literally a cabbage would be better.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

HappyCamperGL posted:

Sexton and Farrel are still the outstanding outside halfs for the lions.

Sexton maybe but Farrell isn't even the outstanding 10 for England.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

DickEmery posted:

Sexton is a cabbage at this stage though, I'd heard rumblings he'd knock test rugby on the head after the Lions tour but he might not even get there.

I could honestly see Ford at 10 and farrell at 12 for the Lions by default, if they guide England to a slam it'll happen. Sexton might not make it and Biggar is doing his best to hold onto the Welsh 10 jersey. Russell could be a bolter, dependent on how Biggar does in the 6N.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

My only worry about Ford is that he's a pretty small guy for a 10 and he might get run over by NZ targeting him. he had a pretty rough game against Wales going through him a few times.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

DickEmery posted:

Who is better?

Farrell is England's best 10, he is also England's best 12 ATM. But the drop off from Farell to Ford is orders of magnitude less then Farrell to Eastmond/Devoto/Baritt/36 or whoever.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Can Daly play 12? It is baffling how much sheer depth England have at every position except inside centre.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

HappyCamperGL posted:

Who is better?

Farrell is England's best 10, he is also England's best 12 ATM. But the drop off from Farell to Ford is orders of magnitude less then Farrell to Eastmond/Devoto/Baritt/36 or whoever.

Danny Cipriani :D

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
I think the Lions half backs might be in pairs.
So it'll be Youngs and Farrell or [Welsh9] and Biggar.

Unless Sexton is miraculously recovered by then.

It's all irrelevant though.
New Zealand are going to hammer the Lions.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Murray should be there, if it's in pairs I could see Johnny make the flight but I wouldn't count on his body holding up. Murray takes a lot of pressure off whoever the 10 is by having a strong tactical kicking game in his own right. It's a mystery though with Gatland, a weak Wales in the 6N might prevent a repeat of the Welsh heavy 2013 squad but I still think he'll err on the side of caution and name a 9 and 10 from the same country.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I still think he'll err on the side of caution and name a 9 and 10 from the same country.

Gatland absolutely does not give a poo poo about the fairness of inclusivity. Here's the team he picked in his first game as Welsh manager, away to England in the 6 Nations:

15. Lee Byrne (Ospreys)
14. Shane Williams (Ospreys)
13. Sonny Parker (Ospreys)
12. Gavin Henson (Ospreys)
11. Mark Jones (Scarlets)
10. James Hook (Ospreys)
09. Mike Phillips (Ospreys)

01. Duncan Jones (Ospreys)
02. Huw Bennett (Ospreys)
03. Adam Jones (Ospreys)
04. Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys)
05. Ian Gough (Ospreys)
06. Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys)
07. Martyn Williams (Blues)
08. Ryan Jones (Ospreys)

He's absolutely picking Webb and Biggar. I don't even think Webb is anywhere near the best Scrum Half in Wales, and Biggar is almost certainly not as good as Owen Williams, but that's the pairing that The Ospreys are built around, and as long as he can justify starting them for Wales as a pair, he'll start them for The Lions as a pair.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 13, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

tarbrush posted:

Can Daly play 12? It is baffling how much sheer depth England have at every position except inside centre.

He's got the speed and the kicking game, but I'm not sure he's got the tackling.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

OK, since Apollodorus hasn't posted in this thread in a month, the "If Ireland wins" clause goes to SomeDrunkenMick (that avatar was my handiwork, sorry).

The adjusted :toxx: is

1. If Ireland wins, SomeDrunkenick gets to select a new avatar and/or custom text.

No worries on the avatar, it's good reminds me that Ireland are never too far away from having their dreams crushed in the most brutal of manners. Keeps my feet on the ground and my expectations right in the creamy middle. No heady heights for me!

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

No worries on the avatar, it's good reminds me that Ireland are never too far away from having their dreams crushed in the most brutal of manners. Keeps my feet on the ground and my expectations right in the creamy middle. No heady heights for me!

I look forward to the day when I don't have to look way up in the sky for middling expectations.

In other news, Brian Mujati signed for the Ospreys, so we'll get to see what Swansea looks like from a drone soon.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

HappyCamperGL posted:

Who is better?

England could play Slade/Burrell/Te'o at 12, who are all better than those guys.

Ford's vision and distribution are much much better than Farrell's and he's crucial to our attacking plan, which is why we don't play Farrell at 10 even though Ford tackles like a wet rag.

Also it's looking like we won't have to see Mike Brown butcher many more overlaps because they're moving Daley to fullback.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Seems wierd, I'd assume they'd move Watson to fb when he's fit and keep Daly on the wing.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Seems wierd, I'd assume they'd move Watson to fb when he's fit and keep Daly on the wing.

Would make sense but apparently it's not what they're planning.
Also pretty sure Jamie George will be starting because he's so much better than Hartley

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Hartley must have incriminating pictures of Eddie Jones, it's the only way he's still in the team because it's certainly not on merit at this point.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

Hartley must have incriminating pictures of Eddie Jones, it's the only way he's still in the team because it's certainly not on merit at this point.

He's there because he's a mouthy oval office who isn't afraid to tell the others what to do. Eddie was complaining that there aren't too many natural leaders in the team. Apparently it's a problem with young people these days.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I wonder how much of that is down to being concerned your captain might attempt to gouge out one of your eyes on the training pitch if you disagree with him once too often.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

To be fair to him, as captain of England, he's done a good job of managing his team and the referees. Way better than say Stephen Moore did. He's probably lacking in game management compared to how Sir was and the rest of the ABs leadership group, but then again, who isn't...

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Ford resigns for Leicester?

George Ford: Leicester Tigers re-sign England fly-half from Bath
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38923684

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Booooooooo

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

To cheer myself up after the terrible weekend, I got sevens tickets at twickenham.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Ugh, and we're signing Freddie Burns to replace him. Has Burns got any better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

He's a perfectly competent club 10 I guess