Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Hardawn posted:

Im glad I got to play the beta, doubt I'll purchase tho

I'm really enjoying the game a lot, but I can't shake the feeling that the game won't last long enough to merit a full price purchase. It's not casual friendly enough to maintain a large community of shitters to poop on. Carrying is really hard so they can't even feel good about "winning" when they get washed in the first few seconds of the match.

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Controller recommendations? Running into too many mistakes with KB+M.

Just use a wired XBox controller. Works flawlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Personal druthers but rebinding the default KB+M controls made a huge difference for me. Middle mouse is an awkward button for guard break so I moved it to E because of Batman Arkham Asylum muscle memory, and I'm a weirdo who has 2 thumb buttons on my mouse which I put lock-on and switch target on, much more natural than going for ctrl and alt.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ah, gently caress. I just bought the GMG version of this but I didn't realize it was a UPlay activation.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
IMO the game will have community for at least a year or two to come simply because it's unique and has a high production value. There are definitely flaws with the game e.g. balance, peer-to-peer etc, but I think I will get $50 of fun from it over its lifespan so i i'll buy it and get it on it while there are still noobs to be mercilessly crushed.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

OctaMurk posted:

IMO the game will have community for at least a year or two to come simply because it's unique and has a high production value. There are definitely flaws with the game e.g. balance, peer-to-peer etc, but I think I will get $50 of fun from it over its lifespan so i i'll buy it and get it on it while there are still noobs to be mercilessly crushed.

Solid analysis.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Ok I got the game working again but seriously what kind of game drops insane fps from updating drivers. That's pretty dumb.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
What's the whole deal with guard breaking the same direction as their block? Even that can be countered with quick reflexes. Is the stun longer if it lands?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I'm personally sold on it as a fun thing to do on the side. Really looking forward to getting my hands on Lawbringer.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Why in the hell did this game and nioh have to come out in the same month?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Psycho Society posted:

What's the whole deal with guard breaking the same direction as their block? Even that can be countered with quick reflexes. Is the stun longer if it lands?

I'm pretty sure guard break is directionless/a unique "direction". however, it is lower priority than every possible attack, as in if the person is attacking it'll bounce off. I think the idea being it's a way to break people who are turtling, but is useless against a foe that is actively attacking.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Before you get a controller for this game look very hard at the default bindings for this game, which cannot be changed in the game itself, at least not yet. You cannot dodge nor guard break without either using a claw grip (index finger resting at the face plate buttons) while keeping your fingers at the right analog stick which is used for guard directions.
Look at these two threads on the subreddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/5qi3e2/pc_want_to_rebind_your_controller/
https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/5kw1qq/controls/dbrjynj/

I tried of thinking alternative bindings for my DualShock 4, but ended up going over to KB+M instead. (It's certainly plausible, but menus are going to be weird). If I absolutely wanted a pad for this game and money was no objection I'd get one with paddles like the Xbox Elite Controller, but I've heard rumours that something inside them breaks easily if you manage to drop them to the floor (there are others with paddles too). The reason is that you can keep your fingers on triggers/analog sticks and have more instant access to important functions on the paddles. And claw grip is unergonomic as gently caress.

Edit: Talking of the game's unfinished state, if I leave my DualShock 4 connected without using DS4Windows, the game shows me DualShock 4 prompts but no keys actually work (Could be Steam interfering, to be fair). I cannot even use the keyboard to select the menu items forcing me to alt+f4 out of the game. :ubisoft:

Dessel fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 12, 2017

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Guard break is directionless. As a new player if you get in the habit of attacking until they block, and then guard breaking as soon as they do, you'll win a lot of fights.

After you guard break however, if you press guard break again, you perform a throw and THAT has a direction. You want to either throw them off a ledge (obviously) or into a wall or other solid object.

If you throw them into a wall, they're stunned longer and you can usually land a heavy attack before they get a chance to block. This depends on your character though and it can be weird. Warden, for example, can land side heavies but not top heavies unless he's already in the top stance when he throws.

If they're out of stamina when you throw (their bar is grey) then they fall supine on the ground. You can get a ton of damage in this way. I always try to get a throw in when they're fatigued.

------

I'm probably going to buy this. My only reservation is the balance. Some classes have much better movesets than others and right now the difference in health between a heavy class and an assassin class is less than 1 light attack worth of HP. Peacekeepers are ubiquitous and by far the best class, followed by Warden and Warlord. The rest just aren't quite up to snuff which sucks. I really hope the devs are active when balancing the game.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
The funny thing about the game's longevity is that, mark my words, it will at least do as bad as Rainbow Six Siege on launch and about as good a year later. Actual game design is good, everything else is typical ubisoft

Also jfc it is annoying when I don't know if I'm allowed to parry. I feel like staring at your character's animations doesn't help because the stunlock window isn't clear-- e.g. sometimes I'm on the floor and my dude springs up instantly to block, sometimes he can't. Sometimes straight up mashing R2 actually gets me a parry because I'm mid-animation and can't actually throw a heavy? :confused: I guess I really have to learn the poo poo out of my character's stagger animations :sigh:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Trillhouse posted:

Guard break is directionless. As a new player if you get in the habit of attacking until they block, and then guard breaking as soon as they do, you'll win a lot of fights.

After you guard break however, if you press guard break again, you perform a throw and THAT has a direction. You want to either throw them off a ledge (obviously) or into a wall or other solid object.

If you throw them into a wall, they're stunned longer and you can usually land a heavy attack before they get a chance to block. This depends on your character though and it can be weird. Warden, for example, can land side heavies but not top heavies unless he's already in the top stance when he throws.

If they're out of stamina when you throw (their bar is grey) then they fall supine on the ground. You can get a ton of damage in this way. I always try to get a throw in when they're fatigued.

------

I'm probably going to buy this. My only reservation is the balance. Some classes have much better movesets than others and right now the difference in health between a heavy class and an assassin class is less than 1 light attack worth of HP. Peacekeepers are ubiquitous and by far the best class, followed by Warden and Warlord. The rest just aren't quite up to snuff which sucks. I really hope the devs are active when balancing the game.
Can everyone choose a throw direction or is it just the assassin classes?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

mellowjournalism posted:

The funny thing about the game's longevity is that, mark my words, it will at least do as bad as Rainbow Six Siege on launch and about as good a year later. Actual game design is good, everything else is typical ubisoft

Also jfc it is annoying when I don't know if I'm allowed to parry. I feel like staring at your character's animations doesn't help because the stunlock window isn't clear-- e.g. sometimes I'm on the floor and my dude springs up instantly to block, sometimes he can't. Sometimes straight up mashing R2 actually gets me a parry because I'm mid-animation and can't actually throw a heavy? :confused: I guess I really have to learn the poo poo out of my character's stagger animations :sigh:

The parry timing is hitting heavy attack right when the red direction mark of an attack flashes and gets huge, don't pay any attention to character animations. This is also the same timing for assassin class deflects, so basically assassins have deflects as a more effective parry.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Cowcaster posted:

Can everyone choose a throw direction or is it just the assassin classes?

Everyone. The shield classes can push people pretty far too.

Some classes have better guard break abilities. Kensei can dash guardbreak which is useful. Raiders can carry. Berserkers get a short auto guardbreak off deflections.

Cowcaster posted:

The parry timing is hitting heavy attack right when the red direction mark of an attack flashes and gets huge, don't pay any attention to character animations. This is also the same timing for assassin class deflects, so basically assassins have deflects as a more effective parry.

The Warden has a special Parry against Top Attacks and it's one of the best moves in the game. All you do is use light attack instead of heavy attack with the same timing. It's called Crushing Counter. It parries, drains stamina and automatically sends out a super-fast unblockable light attack with the damage of a heavy attack.

Don't top attack Wardens.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 12, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Trillhouse posted:

Everyone. The shield classes can push people pretty far too.

Some classes have better guard break abilities. Kensei can dash guardbreak which is useful. Raiders can carry. Berserkers get a short auto guardbreak off deflections.

Most importantly peacemakers have a guardbreak attack out of sprint so you can just haul rear end grab someone and start shanking

And the berserker auto-guardbreak is so good you basically never want to guardbreak manually as them, just fish for a deflect and go to town

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 12, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Trillhouse posted:

The Warden has a special Parry against Top Attacks and it's one of the best moves in the game. All you do is use light attack instead of heavy attack with the same timing. It's called Crushing Counter. It parries, drains stamina and automatically sends out a super-fast unblockable light attack with the damage of a heavy attack.

Don't top attack Wardens.
Good information to know!

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Holy crap. The Conqueror has a feat that heals on block. You never need to die again

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
The warden top break is pretty cool but it's very situational, I definitely wouldn't call it the best.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So i'm having fun so far but boy gently caress everything uplay and ubisoft UI related.

The thing pissing me off right now is my friends and i grouping up; when other players leave and there's not enough players to start a new round then it not only ends the matchmaking it disbands the group as well.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Cowcaster posted:

Good information to know!

High level Warden duals can get...silly.

(What's happening here is Player 2 throws out a top heavy and in response Player 1 throws a top heavy to parry but P2 then feints his top heavy and so in response P1 feints his but P2 didn't catch P1's feint quick enough and instead attempted to do the Crushing counter and instead P2 gets caught in P1s Crushing Counter.)

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

polish sausage posted:

Why in the hell did this game and nioh have to come out in the same month?

Yeah I absolutely loved the beta but I'm gonna hold off until March since I just dropped big bucks on Nioh (which is also awesome). Of course the first thing that comes out in March is Nier: Automata so...I'm just hosed overall...probably going to have to wait until April for Nier since it's a single-player thing. Where were all the good character-action games last year?! Spread this poo poo out people!

Chomp8645 posted:

lol don't be an rear end in a top hat. Nobody here is really that mad about anything, you're just salt baiting.

Saying "I don't like thing" does not indicate quivering rage on the other side of the screen. Strange but true.

I don't know, a lot of (not all obv) the "I don't like thing" posts in this thread have been pretty cataclysmic and it's fairly natural to defend "thing I like" when someone comes along and goes "THIS THING IS GARBAGE (and thereby by implication you are garbage for liking it)" particularly if the person has pretty clearly not made a real effort to understand the thing in question. I also don't really understand the appeal of using your time to go on the internet and talk about things you hate, if I hate something I just...don't play or interact with it if possible? But that seems to be the majority of discussion on the internet so I'm pretty clearly in the minority there.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Trillhouse posted:

High level Warden duals can get...silly.

(What's happening here is Player 2 throws out a top heavy and in response Player 1 throws a top heavy to parry but P2 then feints his top heavy and so in response P1 feints his but P2 didn't catch P1's feint quick enough and instead attempted to do the Crushing counter and instead P2 gets caught in P1s Crushing Counter.)

I don't ever imagine that I'm going to get good enough at this game to utilize feints effectively. I can barely cancel a peacemaker heavy into a dagger jab correctly

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
imo the best ability is definitely peacemaker's rushing guard break which leads to her body stab thing and welp there goes half your HP in one uncounterable combo

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

I don't ever imagine that I'm going to get good enough at this game to utilize feints effectively. I can barely cancel a peacemaker heavy into a dagger jab correctly

If you want a bit of practice with the general application of feints, try the Berserker. He can cancel any heavy into a dodge, which in turn leads into a fairly quick light attack that can be chained off of. That way you can get a good feel for when and where feinting effective while being able to use simpler inputs than what regular feints require.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Kensei is also good for learning how to apply feints in the heat the moment because his entire game revolves around feinting his top heavy unblockable

edit: to be clear I mean both hard canceling into nothing and also soft canceling into another attack

Cowcaster posted:

No I 100% understand the basic parry mechanics, I'm talking about frames in which you cannot parry, such as after being wall stunned, but also god knows when else.

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 12, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Psycho Society posted:

imo the best ability is definitely peacemaker's rushing guard break which leads to her body stab thing and welp there goes half your HP in one uncounterable combo

i think you can guardbreak the guardbreak, like countering any other guardbreak, it's just that every other guardbreak is a) more telegraphed and 2) more easily interrupted by starting an attack so most people aren't used to reacting to it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

for honor: how many times can i use the made up word guardbreak in a single post

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Psycho Society posted:

Yeah it's absolutely bonkers. The triple stab really needs a heavy nerf. The risk to reward for PK right now is way off.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Cowcaster posted:

The problem with feints at lovely low levels of play is players don't react to them anyways. In fact I'd say this is like, 90% of the levels of play. You're better learning proper parry timing since NOBODY knows how to deal with a parry/throw chain.

Trillhouse posted:

Yeah it's absolutely bonkers. The triple stab really needs a heavy nerf. The risk to reward for PK right now is way off.

I've heard they're nerfing bleed. Also, Warden has a level 2 passive feat that negates all bleed damage, which is nice for 4v4s.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Trillhouse posted:

It's powerful but at least the bracket I'm in is full of people who can only pull off one shank and teammates that'll brain you with their two handed axe while you're shanking so my personal jury is out on whether or not it's broken

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

My personal pitch would be making it so hitting guard break at any time during the shank would cancel it, that seems fair

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I'm not at all sure how, but I've seen people (bots, mainly) actually "block"(?) the other stabs. Like it makes a block sound and didn't deal damage (although that's hard to tell).

While I can see nerfing poison a bit the peacekeeper is one of those classes I've never felt particularly threatened by. I'm more worried about the Warlord and Orochi.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Yeah the peacemakers gaurdbreak seems to come out way too quick to react to. Everytime I see the sheild icon I hit square and i get thrown anyway. The only way im getting the break is if I'm just predicting it and hitting square before the I see the icon.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

AttackBacon posted:

I don't know, a lot of (not all obv) the "I don't like thing" posts in this thread have been pretty cataclysmic and it's fairly natural to defend "thing I like" when someone comes along and goes "THIS THING IS GARBAGE (and thereby by implication you are garbage for liking it)" particularly if the person has pretty clearly not made a real effort to understand the thing in question. I also don't really understand the appeal of using your time to go on the internet and talk about things you hate, if I hate something I just...don't play or interact with it if possible? But that seems to be the majority of discussion on the internet so I'm pretty clearly in the minority there.

I think you are being overly defensive in how you react to people disparaging a thing that you like. Someone saying "this things sucks" does NOT imply people are stupid for liking it. This a forum for Games. People here are disposed to talk about games because they have a passion for them. Passions come in both positive and negative flavors. That said sometimes people DO get out of hand and imply an insult when they criticize. But does criticism always imply such an insult? I don't think so.

As to why someone would post "this thing sucks" there are three common reasons, two of them good.

1) Something Awful is actually a really good place to find out how games are. It is one of the only places I know that is semi reliable in fact. That is because here we have both positive and negative opinions in abundance. Places like Reddit are often just fan boy wank fests where any criticism gets down voted to oblivion no matter how fair it was. Other places are the opposite and just spew constant vitriol without reason. Here we allow both the fans and critics in equal measure, and I think that is very valuable. It is important the both sides speak for people to get a fair impression of a game. If everyone who a thought a game sucked never posted about it then this would cease to be a good place to check on the quality of games.

2) Criticism is healthy for all creative mediums. People who post in a game forum at all generally really like games. I criticize games I find bad not because I want to insult it's fans, but because I want the game to be better. If I really think a game is unredeemable trash then I will just abandon the thread completely (unless it's really funny like No Man's Sky or something). If I stick around for a game I'm not hot on however, that means I care enough about the game to want to see it improve. There is something about it I like and I'm sad that good potential is being wasted. I feel that many other critics stick around threads for the same reason. No creative product is ever done a service by being shielded from criticism. Desired changes have to vocalized in order for any developer to act on them. A developer who just gets to read "GAME GREAT A+ 10/10" all day from every source will not be inclined to improve.

3) Sometimes people are mad cause a thing happened and want to vent. This reason is not so good but it is natural.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The Steam version of this still runs through Uplay, right? I'm trying to become less depressed about buying a Uplay copy

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

polish sausage posted:

Yeah the peacemakers gaurdbreak seems to come out way too quick to react to. Everytime I see the sheild icon I hit square and i get thrown anyway. The only way im getting the break is if I'm just predicting it and hitting square before the I see the icon.

countering a guardbreak is timed AFTER you're struck, counterintuitively!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

polish sausage posted:

It's fast but it's kinda short ranged. I main Berserker and don't get hit by it very often. Frankly the Warden and the Warlord have more annoying guardbreaks. Of course, I haven't figured out the timing on any of the guard-break breaks so take that as you will.

Cowcaster posted:

countering a guardbreak is timed AFTER you're struck, counterintuitively!

That's a big part of what fucks me up. I've gotten used to the parry and deflect timings but I always guard break too early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

fadam posted:

The Steam version of this still runs through Uplay, right? I'm trying to become less depressed about buying a Uplay copy

Yes, starting up the Steam version just starts the Uplay launcher anyway. It's all done through Uplay regardless.