Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The Donnagers power armor was in quarantine after the visit to Pheobe as a precautionary measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Finally caught up with the show and the thread, and so far I'm finding Drummer to be a more interesting addition than Draper. I'll keep an open mind on Draper while we wait for the show to give her something to do.

Also, the author tweeted after visiting the set that Drummer has a great scene in Episode 8 so I'll look forward to that!

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Someone comments she should upgrade her gear to the latest stuff and she tells them she likes the old lovely stuff she wears.

In the book she doesn't upgrade because shes an amazon and they don't make armor in her size.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AirborneNinja posted:

In the book she doesn't upgrade because shes an amazon and they don't make armor in her size.
Would this thread complain more or less if Gal Gadot had been cast?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
She's comparatively short and lanky. :colbert:

Can't be waiting on Gadot to bulk up

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

ZekeNY posted:

Finally caught up with the show and the thread, and so far I'm finding Drummer to be a more interesting addition than Draper. I'll keep an open mind on Draper while we wait for the show to give her something to do.

Also, the author tweeted after visiting the set that Drummer has a great scene in Episode 8 so I'll look forward to that!
She's had some cool lines, but I get more and more confused by her accent in each passing scene.

(For those who don't know, Drummer is Fred's right hand woman who took Naomi out for spaceball and dancing.)

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

The Donnagers power armor was in quarantine after the visit to Pheobe as a precautionary measure.

If my memory of the book is correct getting it on and off isn't quick, and not something that you'd want to do if the ship was maneuvering in combat. They absolutely were not expecting to be needing to repel boarders, so hadn't suited up.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Various important metals aren't as abundant as you might think. We get by currently, but in a world where you have to create and maintain infrastructure for 30 billion people, which I assume also brought up the third world more up to par with the first one, there's a lot of need for iron, copper and aluminium. Not to mention those rare earth metals, but I have no idea if one might find those on asteroids.

NowonSA posted:

Lithium is for sure critically important, and it may be the most valuable single metal in the setting. No clue on the science of this, but they make a big deal out of how Stars don't really expel it at the rate that other metals are created, and between its scarcity and use in various electronics it's super prized. Gold and Platinum, meanwhile, can be found all over the place in various asteroids, so while they are far from worthless they're less rare than they are now. Heck, there are concerns about running out of lithium right now since we haven't figured out how to synthesize it, it's going into all kinds of fancy electronic gizmos, and it's nowhere near as commonly found as stuff like iron and coal.

Helium-3 makes sense since that's been a theorized energy source from the moon, but I can't recall reading anything about it.

A couple comments on geo/astrochemistry:

The Earth and the inner rocky planets have very similar composition to asteroids which makes sense since they formed from space rocks pulled together by gravity. The outer gas planets similarly were formed mostly from condensing gas.
Earth underwent differentiation when it started melting on the inside, the heavier elements were pulled deeper and lighter elements rose to the surface. The core is a big ball of iron and nickel. So, space rocks are going to contain all the same stuff you can find on Earth but will be far richer in heavy metals since asteroids didn't differentiate chemically like Earth.

Lithium is a weird exception, the atom has a low binding energy and it's far less abundant than you would expect. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_binding_energy#Nuclear_binding_energy_curve

Stars mostly burn hydrogen, fusing it into helium. As a star gets older it starts to fuse heavier elements, all the way up to 56Fe which is the most stable nuclide (highest binding energy). Nuclides heavier than 56Fe are only produced in a dying/supernova star from neutron flux.

So yeah, lithium is somewhat scarce since stars don't produce much of it. Though, I'd assume Expanse technology has figured out fusion so you could probably make it (in addition to energy) in a reactor.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I suppose I should qualify my statement of "not as abundant" with "easy to mine". Most of it being at the core is an issue that makes asteroid mining viable.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

VagueRant posted:

She's had some cool lines, but I get more and more confused by her accent in each passing scene.
It sounded to me like she was doing Dawes' Belter accent.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

HERAK posted:

If my memory of the book is correct getting it on and off isn't quick, and not something that you'd want to do if the ship was maneuvering in combat. They absolutely were not expecting to be needing to repel boarders, so hadn't suited up.

Not even expecting being attacked at all. In the books even more than the show the concept that someone would actually attack the Donnager, the most powerful ship in the solar system, was utterly laughable. It didn't even register to them early on that the ships approaching would fire.

Also, add me to the confused book readers on how the're dealing with Draper. Honestly the fact that she's a marine is the least interesting thing about her character

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Error 404 posted:

I mean, we literally only see people who are ok with space because the show is set...in space!

Maybe unnamed background extra #3 in one of the earth scenes gets spacesick, we don't know.

There was that scene in the pilot where first officer Mike From Breaking Bad on the Cant goes space-crazy.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Pompous Rhombus posted:

There was that scene in the pilot where first officer Mike From Breaking Bad on the Cant goes space-crazy.

I forgot about that.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Azhais posted:

Also, add me to the confused book readers on how the're dealing with Draper. Honestly the fact that she's a marine is the least interesting thing about her character

:siren::siren::siren::siren: Major Book spoilers (all books) and speculation :siren::siren::siren::siren:

Non-book people avoid at all costs.

My guess is that the writers are setting her character (and the MMC) up so that when she is attacked the platon destroyed and when she is lying severely injured in a badly battle damaged power armour watching the 2 fleets destroy each other above. Her subsequent breakdown and ptsd actually have some meaning to the viewer. It also sets her up nicely for the scene on earth when she steps outside and has a panic attack, and finally realises that there could be no ground war on Earth as there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.

(I would give good odds on us seeing the battle in the reflection of her damaged faceplate as she screams/cries unable to contact anyone to try and stop it.)

They are also pretty heavily foreshadowing Eros heading for Earth *and* the eventual bombardment of Earth with all of the dropping rocks comments. Show watchers will think they've dodged a bullet when it hits Venus.

:siren::siren::siren::siren: Major Book spoilers and speculation :siren::siren::siren::siren:

Edit: some additional warnings, this will spoil this season and later ones.

HERAK fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 13, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
/\
Non book readers avoid the above post at all cost.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why put it in here then you knucklehead? we don't need a red button, when it can easily go in the book thread.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Why are people so keen on posting book spoilers on every single page of these threads? I've read the books, so it doesn't spoil anything for me personally, but this doesn't seem like a good place to be discussing the books.

There's a separate thread for the books here, which is probably better suited to discussing them:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787256

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm only on book 4 so I can't read that thread either :(

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I can't remember what part, but my amazon version of episode 3 had a gently caress or a poo poo that wasnt edited.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Has Sam been in the show? It seems like maybe they're combining Sam and Drummer by introducing her that early and having her do tech stuff/hang with Naomi.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I feel like speculation for book 1 and 2 events specifically to do with the show belongs here as much as it does anywhere else, since over in the book thread they're mostly just talking about the newest book (or at least they were as of a few weeks ago when I quit reading it). In regards to what happens next for Draper and Miller I'm certainly curious how things will be shot and portrayed. As long as things are properly tagged I don't see the harm.

However, for GOT and Walking Dead weren't there separate threads for book readers? If this stuff is that big a deal maybe somebody could start a spoiler thread.

^ Yeah, I thought that was Sam as well. Don't remember Naomi being so chummy with Drummer.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Grand Fromage posted:

Has Sam been in the show? It seems like maybe they're combining Sam and Drummer by introducing her that early and having her do tech stuff/hang with Naomi.

I think Sam was shown once in Season 1, in a scene with Fred where she was sitting at a terminal, but she wasn't a redhead. It feels like they're definitely combining Drummer and Sam at this point.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Apoffys posted:

Why are people so keen on posting book spoilers on every single page of these threads? I've read the books, so it doesn't spoil anything for me personally, but this doesn't seem like a good place to be discussing the books.

There's a separate thread for the books here, which is probably better suited to discussing them:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787256

But people aren't talking about the books. We're talking about the show in relation to the books. And I think people have been very good about using spoiler tags.

Over in the book thread that you linked to, people are pretty much exclusively talking about the latest book. And it's not even a very active thread. Taking show spoilers over into the book thread is only going to result in the exact same complaint you have right now. People who haven't seen the show yet are going to get upset about any discussion about the show because they don't want to know how things get translated from book to screen.

Bigger shows like Game of Thrones warrant separate threads for book readers, but The Expanse is not Game of Thrones.

So until The Expanse becomes the most talked about show in the nation where 2 separate threads for the show is warranted, then as long as people continue to appropriately use spoiler tags, then we don't have a problem here.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Platystemon posted:

Someone upthread said “if the Martian navy burns at 1 g for training, can’t the UN navy burn at 1.5 g and become beastly super soldiers?”

Not without a lot of joint injuries and cardiovascular problems

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Smiling Jack posted:

Not without a lot of joint injuries and cardiovascular problems

Counterpoint: medicine has advanced to the point where limbs can be re‐grown, cancer is a non‐issue, and “juice” exists to at least temporarily protect from high‐g manœuvres.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Counterpoint: medicine has advanced to the point where limbs can be re‐grown, cancer is a non‐issue, and “juice” exists to at least temporarily protect from high‐g manœuvres.

Cancer is a non-issue providing you take a certain drug for the rest of your life. If you stop taking it, you'll start getting tumors.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milky Moor posted:

Cancer is a non-issue providing you take a certain drug for the rest of your life. If you stop taking it, you'll start getting tumors.

Yeah but is it covered by Basic or does Space Shkreli own the patent?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Milky Moor posted:

Am I wrong or did they solve this on the show with the implant thing in their arms? That was the impression I got but could be mistaken.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I started thinking about how belters probably can't punch for poo poo, and I can't figure out whether it'd be harder or easier to generate the force for a swing in low gravity, muscle mass aside.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tree Dude posted:

Am I wrong or did they solve this on the show with the implant thing in their arms? That was the impression I got but could be mistaken.

Doesn't Amos give Miller a short term supply when he delivers the dufflebag at the bar?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pharmaskittle posted:

I started thinking about how belters probably can't punch for poo poo, and I can't figure out whether it'd be harder or easier to generate the force for a swing in low gravity, muscle mass aside.

Harder. Swing your arm forward and your torso will recoil, robbing the swing of speed.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Platystemon posted:

Doesn't Amos give Miller a short term supply when he delivers the dufflebag at the bar?

He does, yeah. I think the arm implant is just how they inject the stuff maybe?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Milky Moor posted:

Holden and Miller keep developing tumors because they soaked up tons of radiation on Eros. Other cancers are probably at least a little easier to treat.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Tree Dude posted:

That's just the injection point. Amos gives Miller some meds when he meets him in the bar.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Toast Museum posted:

Holden and Miller keep developing tumors because they soaked up tons of radiation on Eros. Other cancers are probably at least a little easier to treat.

Holden and Miller ought to have straight‐up died from acute radiation sickness.

Surviving that is a medical miracle on its own.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Harder. Swing your arm forward and your torso will recoil, robbing the swing of speed.

So even in low gravity, not zero, it'd still rob you of force? It wouldn't be easier, since you have the same force pushing off the ground with your foot but less resistance? I'm really asking, I don't know physics.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pharmaskittle posted:

So even in low gravity, not zero, it'd still rob you of force? It wouldn't be easier, since you have the same force pushing off the ground with your foot but less resistance? I'm really asking, I don't know physics.

I thought you were talking about weightless combat, but it’s still true of low gravity to an extent.

In ⅓ g, your feet can only get about a third of the traction before they start slipping against the floor.

Magnetic boots would alleviate the issue, but you’d have trouble with acrobatics.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Pharmaskittle posted:

Power comes from your legs. You'd need mag-boots or something to plant your feet against. Also, the recipient wouldn't have as much inertia so they'd move with the blow to a greater degree, robbing you of impact force.

I expect low-G hand-to-hand would be even more about grappling/gouging/etc. than it is in full-G.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Accretionist posted:

Also, the recipient wouldn't have as much inertia so they'd move with the blow to a greater degree, robbing you of impact force.

Only to the extent that belters are skinnier.

Inertia is independent of local gravity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Neat! So barfights on Ceres, for instance, would be less dangerous until weapons got involved. And even then you'd have to grab-n-stab someone prison style to be quite as effective.

• Locked thread