Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
So zombie Klingons or a sleeping Kligons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Klingon Draugr. Maybe their ships are filled with annoying, mostly pointless traps.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Evek posted:

So zombie Klingons or a sleeping Kligons?

Very ancient sleeping Klingons, if the leaked concept art from several months ago is legitimate.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

skooma512 posted:

Because we have faith of the heart.

Remember when that and viewscreens were what pissed us off most?

Good times, good times.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I think they look fine from this grainy low res picture. It's a new series, let them try something new you dumb nerds.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Subyng posted:

I think they look fine from this grainy low res picture. It's a new series, let them try something new you dumb nerds.

It's supposed to be in the same continuity add other things, so pointless change is dumb. Also, new things is fine but Klingons is hardly new things. I'm hoping for the these aren't Klingons angle personally.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
GLOOORY TO YOU, AND YOUR HOOO-

-uuhhhH?????

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If they wanted people to be happy about these leaks they should have hired everybody who did Farscape.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hey, look on the bright side, at least Voyager fans will feel better, now that their favorite series is no longer the worst one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Phimosissy posted:

It's supposed to be in the same continuity add other things, so pointless change is dumb.

Continuity is an albatross.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Visual continuity has a bit more leeway in my opinion.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Continunity on the scale of "so and so said something in the 2nd episode of the first series so we have to stick to it forever" is an albatross.

Changing the look of a primary species in the show for a 3rd (4th!) time is needless loving around with no real reason.

I'm not really ready to raise the pitchforks yet though since we know nothing else yet.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It can be in the same continuity but still look different. No one expects the ship interior to look like a 60's TV show despite predating TOS by like a decade chronologically. Honestly, who gives a poo poo about artistic license. This is like the 5th? iteration of Klingons in the Star Trek universe, nothing is sacred or immutable in fiction.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

Continuity is an albatross.

Fine whatever, but this is Trek not some goddamn High Media.

The point still stands, though, if you're going to call them Klingons and set the show on continuity, why make a dumb visual change? Pay to watch is off-putting enough to older TNG and TOS fans already. Just seems dumb af

Granted, we don't really know anything yet

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Subyng posted:

Visual continuity has a bit more leeway in my opinion.

thank you.

I would much rather watch some poo poo that looks cool and futuristic rather than awkwardly recreate some retro-futurist aesthetic that looked cool in the 60's

Subyng
May 4, 2013
That being said I like the Klingon Draugr idea and hope the producers go in that direct.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Maybe these are the Klingon Gods. It might be worth telling that story.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

remusclaw posted:

Maybe these are the Klingon Gods. It might be worth telling that story.

The Klingods should be a miniseries all it's own and not involve the Federation at all.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I love that Star Wars gets slavishly adherent 1977 styled period pieces but nobody can handle a vision of the future that isn't covered in terrible bump mapping otherwise it seems

I mean I'm not saying it'll all suck because of one or two photos, we have no idea who these guys are or what the rest of the show will look like but it seems a bit dubious to say "we're setting this show 5 minutes before TOS!" and then there's no real visual indication of that aside from one or two little tiny bits in the back that only nerds like us would be able to pick out.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Star Wars is in the past
:goonsay:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MorgaineDax posted:

So who posted that picture? I can't find the original post and considering how tight-lipped STD has been so far, it doesn't seem like a picture they'd release like that. It almost comes off like some extra on the set posted a picture and only had a vague idea what Trek aliens were and just called them Klingons.

I found it in io9, the original pic is from one of the extras.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/this-might-be-our-first-look-at-the-klingons-in-star-tr-1792262881

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Delthalaz posted:

Why don't we ever see the Grizzelas? They sound pretty chill. I hope the next series has a Grizella character to just hang out with and party until he's like -- oh sorry guys I'm feeling super tired. Then we don't see him again until next year except maybe once or twice by the replicator and he's cranky. Also jeez I hope someone's watching their planet when they're asleep.

Wait, this just hit me. Grizzelas? Were they supposed to be a planet of bear-people?

...I love it.

Scudworth posted:

Even after all these years I almost laugh each and every time Pulaski called Data "dah-ta" because she hates him and doesn't give a gently caress about the toaster's feelings.

Wasn't that for all of one episode? And yeah there was the Sherlock "ooooops, nobody bothered to check whether this was public domain yet!" Holmes episode, but after that I don't think there's much at all.

Jesus from the way people get all boo-hoo over the dreadful way she treated our golden son you'd think she spent the whole season walking around the ship calling him "blinkyhead" and telling junior officers his orders carried no legal weight.

Timby posted:

If you read between the lines in The Fifty Year Mission, it's pretty clear that McFadden was absolutely miserable by the seventh season and only did the movies for a paycheck (I think she flat-out refused to talk about Insurrection because she had nothing to do).

There's at least one quote from Fifty-Year Mission where she basically says "ehh it makes sense that Crusher wouldn't be jealous of him going off with Anij, because he's already been going around loving everyone else anyway."

I was surprised this wasn't in Fifty-Year, but I remember a quote from her from somewhere else where she said that she was really hoping they'd do more Picard/Crusher material when she came back in third season, but that nobody was interested in going anywhere near that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Wait, this just hit me. Grizzelas? Were they supposed to be a planet of bear-people?

...I love it.

They actually have more in common with Earth dragonflies, racist.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Phimosissy posted:

That image is the first truly upsetting thing to me about Discovery.

I really, really want this to not suck.

GODDAMMIT

I don't know about "upsetting" but I have had very low expectations about this from the start. And I haven't seen anything yet to raise them, apart from maybe the involvement of Nick Meyer, so this is just one more in a long line of incidental info that, to me, ranges on a continuity of "ho-hum" to "lol."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I kind of like the redesign, kind of don't. It's kind of ugly and seems to fit in with this weird alternate 70's McQuarryverse look they seem to be developing, of which I'm not sure I'm a fan. On the other hand, I've always been for more "alien" looking Klingons. I got kind of sick of seeing the TNG-era ones, and frankly since that itself was a redesign of a redesign, I don't hold it as particularly holy.

Plus they said the theme of the show had something to do with cross-cultural understanding, so if that means with the Klingons I think you could get some mileage out of the fact that you have a more visceral visual barrier to overcome in terms of relating with a different culture.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

In non-Discovery news, Alec Peters says he's going to publish two books, one about the making of Axanar and one about the lawsuit with CBS and Paramount.

Dude just can't stop. I can't imagine the loopholes he's going to try to find to justify a book about the lawsuit.

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 12, 2017

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

People are freaking out about a lack of continuity... in the design of Klingons? Of all things? As if their design is sacred and inviolable?

I suppose they have a point. It's an affront to Continuity that they're not dudes in brownface with pointy eyebrows.

Subyng posted:

This guy gets it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ehh, they just haven't put the wigs on yet. Wevs.

(Anyway, the TMP Cornish Pastie-head Klingons were almost as different from the ST3-onwards Klingons as from the TOS Klingons, so it's no big deal. Just like RAAAR, the spaceship has a triangle in it, WORST STAR TREK EVER 0/10!)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Was there this much gnashing of teeth when the Borg got their bigger-budget designs for later TNG and Voyager?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Was there this much gnashing of teeth when the Borg got their bigger-budget designs for later TNG and Voyager?

The Borg were a huge part of TNG establishing itself (despite repeated attempts by Gene and Rick Berman to avoid anything macabre), so no.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Data Graham posted:

There are always people complaining when poo poo changes, though you obviously have to go digging up fan letter columns in magazines back past a certain point to find it. Internet made it easier for complainers to reach more eyes and ears.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm perfectly fine with redesigns, so long as they're not ugly as sin John Eaves-style "X-Acto edges on everything" designs. That said, I'm partial to the theory that these are actually the ancient "sarcophagus Klingons".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What the gently caress are sarcophagus Klingons?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Some one cut up a bunch of pictures of cathedrals and glued them onto a silhouette of a Klingon ship and called it concept art for a "Klingon Sarcophagus Ship."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cojawfee posted:

Some one cut up a bunch of pictures of cathedrals and glued them onto a silhouette of a Klingon ship and called it concept art for a "Klingon Sarcophagus Ship."

Warhammer then?

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Baronjutter posted:

Warhammer then?

It looked pretty close to it. Guess its some sort of sleeper ship instead of a literal floating tomb.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

remusclaw posted:

There are always people complaining when poo poo changes, though you obviously have to go digging up fan letter columns in magazines back past a certain point to find it. Internet made it easier for complainers to reach more eyes and ears.

The complaining in the pre-Internet age in Star Trek was worse. About the only person who gets undying hatred these days is Rick Berman.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The guy who posted it:

So everyone just... chill.

Also he's been fired because he's an NDA-breaking idiot.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
God, did that guy not know what kind of fire he was playing with?