Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

ewe2 posted:

Not surprising, its a zero-length file? How that happened is a mystery, and a bit worrying. If that happens again, let me know!

Here's a replacement upload, sorry to all!

Ahhh okay.. ta :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Truga posted:

still the best tho
I heard they suck live.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Oh, I see the irrelevant brigade is trying a comeback :what:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/BoredGamerUK/status/830443904919097344
https://twitter.com/MoonConsole/status/830828404651880448
https://twitter.com/BoredGamerUK/status/830835649284554753
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/830846524133367808
https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/830853689019662337
https://twitter.com/BoredGamerUK/status/830858613547814912

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ayn Marx posted:

Oh, I see the irrelevant brigade is trying a comeback :what:

Stop posting about yourself

cuntsucker

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

ewe2 posted:

Did remixes of a couple of songs, really happy with them now:

Better with a few changes around.

Now with extra scream and stuff!
Ha! Knocking it out of the park! :)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Stop posting about yourself

cuntsucker

Don't sign your posts ^^

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Looks like U.S. Tennis pulled a Sandi Gardiner.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nazi-era-anthem-at-fed-cup_us_58a08ba7e4b03df370d70c15

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

:smuggo:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
None of this Download/Upload dick-waving matters because you still need to re-download the entire loving game everytime they roll out patches or hotfixes, and people defending that is just absurd.

No i'm not jealous

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

:vince:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ghostlight posted:

I heard they suck live.

I can confirm that, I've been to their shows a few times.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This DisturbedJim guy is pretty disturbed by the looks of it.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Properly declawed catte

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

None of this Download/Upload dick-waving matters because you still need to re-download the entire loving game everytime they roll out patches or hotfixes, and people defending that is just absurd.

No i'm not jealous
It also doesn't matter because the client opens 100,000 connections and kills your entire network. lol

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I'm totally clueless when it comes to network poo poo, so I need this explained to me.

Is there any logic behind the way that sc's client downloader cripples your network, or is it plain lovely amateur stuff?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Henry Scorpio posted:

So.... Tiered state machines like so:

Explore universe [level 1]
Invade autism chariot [level 2]
Use toilet [level 3]

Wrong. They are machines, so they don't need a toilet. You really don't understand subsumption development, do you?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Xaerael posted:

I'm totally clueless when it comes to network poo poo, so I need this explained to me.

Is there any logic behind the way that sc's client downloader cripples your network, or is it plain lovely amateur stuff?

If I said the latter, would you be surprised?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
To put this in perspective.

Literally nobody else in the game's industry does this (that I know of)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

:golfclap:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

To put this in perspective.

Literally nobody else in the game's industry does this (that I know of)

Plus they have all pretty much have mastered delta patching at this point. Or are smart enough to host with something like Steam that does that for them.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Xaerael posted:

The logic is “there is sometimes a limit to how much bandwidth a CDN will provide on a single connection, so more connections means more total bandwidth” — right out of the early '00:s download manager playbook, perhaps with a dash of torrent-style P2P distribution thinking on top. The lovely amateur stuff is that, not only is that logic a decade and a half out of date, but even back then, the download managers understood that opening up too many connection would cause problems and would therefore limit itself to just a handful, whereas CIG's stuff just spams new threads until something — anything — breaks.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fargin Icehole posted:

No i'm not jealous

I still use 14.4k but I don't care because I don't have to download 30 GB of updates every day to keep up with the 2.6.1 PTU.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tippis posted:

The logic is “there is sometimes a limit to how much bandwidth a CDN will provide on a single connection, so more connections means more total bandwidth” — right out of the early '00:s download manager playbook, perhaps with a dash of torrent-style P2P distribution thinking on top. The lovely amateur stuff is that, not only is that logic a decade and a half out of date, but even back then, the download managers understood that opening up too many connection would cause problems and would therefore limit itself to just a handful, whereas CIG's stuff just spams new threads until something — anything — breaks.

Anyone with DD-WRT or some variant look to see how hard the CPU chugs when downloading this dumpster fire?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Xaerael posted:

Well, you see, in the last 500 years the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stims--

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The patcher is so bad it opens hundreds of connection for me and I get 4mb / second maximum from it. While the patcher is downloading all other internet stops at my house, you can't watch Netflix or gently caress all.
Then the installer that looks like a dos box, well, if you stretch the window while it is installing it confuses it so all the pre rendered % numbers stay on the screen, I'm 99% sure that they aren't actually indicating anything and are pre baked into the dos box as jpegs because as you stretch the wind it reveals '24%' '48%' etc etc that would otherwise be hidden :v:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

The patcher is so bad it opens hundreds of connection for me and I get 4mb / second maximum from it. While the patcher is downloading all other internet stops at my house, you can't watch Netflix or gently caress all.
Then the installer that looks like a dos box, well, if you stretch the window while it is installing it confuses it so all the pre rendered % numbers stay on the screen, I'm 99% sure that they aren't actually indicating anything and are pre baked into the dos box as jpegs because as you stretch the wind it reveals '24%' '48%' etc etc that would otherwise be hidden :v:

I'm half expecting the next leap in ransomware will involve paying to uninstall SC and get your internet connection back.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
There are two things that stand out to me for the sheer chutzpah of it, the patcher and The Road to CItizenCon.

Patcher
How the gently caress does a company in 2017 dare to have a patcher that kills your internet connection while it slowly downloads another 30GB file because they changed the door to the toilet? HOW?

The Road to CItizenCon
Think about it... it's beyond all question now that they knew at the time there was no way the "Squadron 42 demo" was days away from release. If they had anything that close to being ready they'd have put it out to quiet the whales and give them a much needed confidence boost. Which means that the whole Road to CitizenCon was a ~*metacon *~ itself. It was all staged! There were no last hour meetings deciding they couldn't make it, there was never a question of it being ready! They probably filmed it all in a day.

It was pure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRpmNgaJ41U

There were no last hour meetings. There were no last desperate allnighters. It was all a carefully staged guilt trip to cover the fact they had nothing to show despite what they had said was the motive they had skipped E3. It worked perfectly, it drove the whales into a white knighting frenzy and they opened their wallets wide. I actually have to congratulate Sandi on that, it was masterfully executed.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 13, 2017

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
What's SC size uncompressed?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

happyhippy posted:

Got a calculator?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

happyhippy posted:

Somewhere between Diffusion and Confusion.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

MeLKoR posted:

There are two things that stand out to me for the sheer chutzpah of it, the patcher and The Road to CItizenCon.

Patcher
How the gently caress does a company in 2017 dare to have a patcher that kills your internet connection while it slowly downloads another 30GB file because they changed the door to the toilet? HOW?

The Road to CItizenCon
Think about it... it's beyond all question now that they knew at the time there was no way the "Squadron 42 demo" was days away from release. If they had anything that close to being ready they'd have put it out to quiet the whales and give them a much needed confidence boost. Which means that the whole Road to CitizenCon was a ~*metacon *~ itself. It was all staged! There were no last hour meetings deciding they couldn't make it, there was never a question of it being ready! They probably filmed it all in a day.

It was pure

There were no last hour meetings. There were no last desperate allnighters. It was all a carefully staged guilt trip to cover the fact they had nothing to show despite what they had said was the motive they had skipped E3. It worked perfectly, it drove the whales into a white knighting frenzy and they opened their wallets wide. I actually have to congratulate Sandi on that, it was masterfully executed.

I was just shower thought'ing that the other day. For a company that takes weeks to respond to criticism on the forums/reddit, that Road to CitizenCon video was out the very next week, cut & edited that was above standard for what they normally produce, and even had candid interviews regarding the lead-up. I'm with you on this, I think that video was staged as gently caress, and a pre-emptive, tomahawk missile strike at the inevitable fallout that they knew citizencon was going to be.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

MeLKoR posted:

Patcher

The Road to CItizenCon

It was pure

:same:

Great post btw

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Reminder:

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

peter gabriel posted:

why do you have to be so angry that star citizen has become the bdsse

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

I.N.R.I posted:

any1 here murdered a star citizen player yet? well .. please try to find the time to call or visit your parents, at any rate.

me ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

MeLKoR posted:

Patcher

The Road to CItizenCon

It was pure

wtf...