Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Makes you miss Doom Blade, doesn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

UberJew posted:

even hero's downfall would do work in this standard

With Torrential Gearhulk, Hero's Downfall would be amazing! Ruinous paths in my graveyard make me sad.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Went 3-1 in my Gameday with BR Zombies.

2-1 against a Mono Green Emerge list. In a single turn in Game 2 he played two Decimator of Provinces, and I only won Game 3 by holding up a 'boarded in Unlicensed Disintegration to kill a 11/11 Oran-Rief Hydra and killed him on the crack-back. It was a pretty cool deck, but he said it was brand new and not tuned enough. He used Aid from the Cowl and ramp to cast big things; those two big pigs came in for free, which now that I think about it, shouldn't he have only gotten one Cowl trigger off that despite having two permanents leave the battlefield that turn?

1-2 against GB Delirium. He also played like two or three Lili's in Game 2, which was rough, but I lived the dream that game by untapping on turn 3 with two lands and a spirit token, Haunted Dead and two Prized Amalgam's. I lost that one, but that was rad. Flooded out Game 3, feels bad.

2-0 against GR Werewolves, which, uh, okay. She never seems to really care about the games and I think only shows up because her husband wants to. He was on Copycat beside her in another game and went off against a weird BW control list. Anyway I won game two when she flooded and I got stuck on two swamps. BR Zombies still does plenty with just two land.

2-0 against Mono Red Burn? Spells? He played lots of the ping tappers from SoI and burn spells. He flooded out Game 2.

I must have been paired down in the last round. My opponents' win percentage was like 26%, so I ended up placing fifth, just short of prizes. :negative:

Overall I had fun; this was my first Gameday trip, I usually end up busy on these weekends. I had thought to bring BG Energy Constrictor, but when I was drafting last night, everyone seemed to be on it, so I brought RB Zombies since I thought it would pair up okay against that what with all the removal and going decently wide, plus I'd be my own special snowflake. Didn't see any other zombie lists, anyway.

5/5 keeping this deck sleeved even though it's probably just tier 2.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

Went 3-1 in my Gameday with BR Zombies.

2-1 against a Mono Green Emerge list. In a single turn in Game 2 he played two Decimator of Provinces, and I only won Game 3 by holding up a 'boarded in Unlicensed Disintegration to kill a 11/11 Oran-Rief Hydra and killed him on the crack-back. It was a pretty cool deck, but he said it was brand new and not tuned enough. He used Aid from the Cowl and ramp to cast big things; those two big pigs came in for free, which now that I think about it, shouldn't he have only gotten one Cowl trigger off that despite having two permanents leave the battlefield that turn?

I think Aid should only trigger once per copy no matter how many permanents left the field.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

That finals was awesome, the last match was so good.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

TwistedNails posted:

I think Aid should only trigger once per copy no matter how many permanents left the field.

Yep, this is correct. At least I won the match.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

TwistedNails posted:

That finals was awesome, the last match was so good.

G3 was really back and forth... GB overextended into that fumigate so badly, then mardu ran right into a flaying tendrils and it went into top deck mode for both players. Glad to see GB take it down though

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man it's rough watching BDM and Jacob Van Lunen commentate on the GP Top 8. I love BDM, but why are either of them doing commentary on actual games??

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

oryx posted:

Man it's rough watching BDM and Jacob Van Lunen commentate on the GP Top 8. I love BDM, but why are either of them doing commentary on actual games??

Bdm should have gone away when they made the last change. Sucks that lsv wasn't commentating.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

Bdm should have gone away when they made the last change. Sucks that lsv wasn't commentating.

They should've made him the history guy and have him do the boots on the ground type stuff like they do at the protour. The random live look-ins at the PT with him peering over people's shoulders to get info about a match that is deep into game three with a complex board state was always fun. poo poo just have him running around the hall with a mic and a camera guy doing little drop-in interviews would be great, just get him out of the booth.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

I'm so glad to see this sweet deck seeing more play, because it's such a blast to pilot and I really hope that more people jamming will lead to a truly competitive version of it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Didn't get to play a Game Day, but I did crib a cool BW Displacer deck from someone who one at one of the big stores here.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I took second with Jeskai control (no combo). I lost to a sweet home brew U/B control list that used eldrazi as the win con.

I'm now making the deck my own Esper tempo/control? The dream is casting Baraal's expertise turn 5 into gideon, kalitas, or glimmer of genius.
Running 4 spell squeller, and 2 avacyn for tempo. My top end is a single Sorin; no torrential gearhulks for this build.
So far, I feel like my mana base is very shaky and most spells are doubled cost.

I know this deck won't be as good as Jeskai control, but I have been playing that for about 3 months, and want something of my own.

Edit: got to beat the standard version of cherios. Game one he annihilated me, because half my deck is useless, but game 2 and 3 I got to sideboard in 11/15.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

DangerDongs posted:

I took second with Jeskai control (no combo). I lost to a sweet home brew U/B control list that used eldrazi as the win con.

I'm now making the deck my own Esper tempo/control? The dream is casting Baraal's expertise turn 5 into gideon, kalitas, or glimmer of genius.
Running 4 spell squeller, and 2 avacyn for tempo. My top end is a single Sorin; no torrential gearhulks for this build.
So far, I feel like my mana base is very shaky and most spells are doubled cost.

I know this deck won't be as good as Jeskai control, but I have been playing that for about 3 months, and want something of my own.

Edit: got to beat the standard version of cherios. Game one he annihilated me, because half my deck is useless, but game 2 and 3 I got to sideboard in 11/15.

I have been working on an Esper control deck too similar to BW that I played last year.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
It appears they REALLY want you to play more standard guys.

http://wpn.wizards.com/en/article/whats-new-amonkhet

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sickening posted:

I didn't realize the Learn to Cheat at Seeding your Sealed Pool Leagues were an actual sanctioned WOTC thing.

Yeah, I'll definitely leave my cards in the possession of the game store, they'll love that liability. Except for my rares, I'll take those home with me. And then come back with three on-color mythics next week.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Magic league doesn't have serious prizes and is mainly targeted at new players, so you'd have to be pretty pathetic to want to cheat at it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

My store has everyone keep their league decks in store and it works just fine :shrug:

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I have been working on an Esper control deck too similar to BW that I played last year.

I played B/W control as well. It is kind of where I got the idea. I miss having all the planeswalkers on the board, and not being able to pull a Westvale Abby win out of nowhere hurts.
I first made the new deck Abzan by splashing green for tracker and painful truths, because there was no card draw.

I think Esper will be smoother. My planeswalker base is: 2x Lili, 2x Gideon, 1x Ob, 1x Jace, 1x Sorin.
Are you going the more conventional Torrential gearhulk route?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

My store has everyone keep their league decks in store and it works just fine :shrug:

I didn't even know about the official Aether Revolt league, it wasn't well advertised, so I ran my own. Technically I could have just submitted the player list and gotten the energy/Gremlin promos, but they want league runners to submit the player list weekly instead of just once this time. Oh well, I'll do it officially for Amonkhet.

Cheating isn't an issue at my league. I "register" the pools by taking a picture on my phone of every pack someone opens. Do I deck check people? No, but the idea that there's a record of what someone has opened eases everyone's fears about cheating and in theory stops people from slipping cards into their pool. The only issues I've had so far are people losing their scorecards. One guy lost his sealed pool and rebuilt it from the photos using leftover draft scraps.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
We are doing the Aether Revolt sealed league at the store I play and it was really fun up until about week 2 where two guys just grinded out like 20-30 games during week one and another 30-40 week two and bought an extra pack after three losses each. Now they have significantly better decks than everyone else. I know the goal is to get people to buy more and more packs but they really should have limited it to a pack a week.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Dehtraen posted:

We are doing the Aether Revolt sealed league at the store I play and it was really fun up until about week 2 where two guys just grinded out like 20-30 games during week one and another 30-40 week two and bought an extra pack after three losses each. Now they have significantly better decks than everyone else. I know the goal is to get people to buy more and more packs but they really should have limited it to a pack a week.

We have a rule for leagues at the shop I frequent that you can't play the same person twice in a row just to prevent this. It's not fun when people cheese the system for a casual fun idea.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jabor posted:

Magic league doesn't have serious prizes and is mainly targeted at new players, so you'd have to be pretty pathetic to want to cheat at it.

You say that but I've seen people cheat at prereleases too, which are the same thing. Though I think those may have been for places that are more top-heavy in prerelease prize support, which is asinine to me, so the dumb incentives are there.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I saw two guys collude at a prere, where they waited to get the results of another match to ensure that they could safely ID.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Some Numbers posted:

I saw two guys collude at a prere, where they waited to get the results of another match to ensure that they could safely ID.

:lol: What was the size of prize pool?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

quote:

Sign up for this event in Wizards Event Reporter and receive twenty Welcome Decks, plus twenty-five premium full-art basic lands (five of each) from Amonkhet to use as rewards for both new players and veteran players who bring a friend.
Wait, does this mean Amonkhet has full-art basics? More likely they're just special promos and the lands in the actual set are normal, but it would be cool if actually bringing back full-art basics more frequently.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Entropic posted:

Wait, does this mean Amonkhet has full-art basics? More likely they're just special promos and the lands in the actual set are normal, but it would be cool if actually bringing back full-art basics more frequently.

Probably just special promos. They are doing non-full art battle lands with the expedition art as promos for the Aether Revolt standard league.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

I want 20 Pyramid Plains.

Twenty.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Do we know much of anything about Amonkhet yet?

AFAIK all that's been confirmed is that it's vaguely Ancient Egypt-themed, and Nicol Bolas is the villain.

I remember hearing somewhere that they were doing Gods again, which would make sense for the setting, and could mean an enchantment subtheme if true. But that could just be wild speculation.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
People are hoping for Gods and speculating is all. We do know there's some heroic contest or sport of some sort where people vie for glory. My guess is story wise someone from the gatewatch will enter and win it to get an audience with Bolas and confront him but the team will be unprepared and get bloodied noses a bit.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's going to be about chariot races and Stargate to explain the robot inserts included in the set.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I recall hearing somewhere that there are going to be gods, but their mechanic won't be devotion but something else.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The gimmick is they bought the rights to Obelisk, Slifer, and Ra from Konami and it's literally just those cards

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheKingofSprings posted:

The gimmick is they bought the rights to Obelisk, Slifer, and Ra from Konami and it's literally just those cards

Looking forward to the cheating scandal as someone hides the head of Exodia on their lap.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Some of this minus the Gothic horror/alchemy

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

This happens all the time in Socal, loving everyone thinks they're some PT grinder.

I love that we are flush with stores but sometimes people have to chill out.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Rinkles posted:

Some of this minus the Gothic horror/alchemy

Undying with Winding Constrictor'd be fun.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
BTW guys, side event drafts at GP Pitt were 20 bucks. gently caress you Past Times, what a complete joke.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Jabor posted:

GoutPatrol posted:

Same here. The foil thopter/servo token rules and i cant wait for the foil energy token.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

DangerDongs posted:

I played B/W control as well. It is kind of where I got the idea. I miss having all the planeswalkers on the board, and not being able to pull a Westvale Abby win out of nowhere hurts.
I first made the new deck Abzan by splashing green for tracker and painful truths, because there was no card draw.

I think Esper will be smoother. My planeswalker base is: 2x Lili, 2x Gideon, 1x Ob, 1x Jace, 1x Sorin.
Are you going the more conventional Torrential gearhulk route?

No torrentials. Basically using the BW shell replacing languish with Yahennis Expertise and running 2 Lilly, 2 Sorin, 2 Ob, 1 Jace, 3 Gideon.

The rest is filled out with push, grasp, snare, counters and fragmentize with 2 Noxious gearhulks. Oh and some draw spells.

The land based SEEMS smooth but I haven't played tested it much yet.

• Locked thread