Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Stagger_Lee posted:

She's so slow, and I don't think she actually has the power to one-shot her enemies, but I might be wrong. I also have no idea how escape route works.

Escape Route allows a unit with it to move adjacent to any other ally on the map as long as their own HP is low enough. Spaces that can be reached with it or other skills like it are highlighted in light blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Oh, that makes sense.. I was reading the skill as if she granted the ability to move to other units.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Philip Rivers posted:

Does anyone imagine Cecilia will ever find a place in the meta? I dunno if there's much demand for green mages but she's a colorless killer who isn't vulnerable to Takumi or Kagero and has crazy mobility with Escape Route. Being able to fly across the map to murder one of those two seems like a cool niche.

Not as long as the meta is dominated by powerful Reds. Her utility isn't good enough to make up for that glaring weakness, and her stats aren't amazing either.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Get defence wins by using a 3 unit team. You'll get matched with scrub teams like mine that can't handle 5* Takumi and his equally buff mates.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

I should probably pull Hector off my defense team. I can't imagine the AI using him effectively. Only other decent greens I have are 5* Raven, 4* Fae and 4* Beruka tho.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Defense Hector is easy mode when you're fighting him, because it means it's basically 4v3 until he gets up to you. However, if you don't actually have a way to deal with him on hand, he can wipe a team by himself.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Defense tip: People fuckin' love fighting Chrom, apparently.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

I don't know why some people are struggling to get defense wins while I am rolling in them, but it is possible!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

fairlight posted:

I should probably pull Hector off my defense team. I can't imagine the AI using him effectively. Only other decent greens I have are 5* Raven, 4* Fae and 4* Beruka tho.

Hector's a slamdunk against anyone who can't handle him and a non-member to teams that can. If you fill your team up with blues to handle the reds there's a good chance the rest of their team will be too weak to handle him when he gets into range.

Mage fliers will probably be scary if they ever release some. Thankfully there aren't really any canon ones other than maybe Aversa.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Camilla used dark magic, right?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Philip Rivers posted:

Camilla used dark magic, right?

She could use magic yes, but she was more noted for her prowess with an axe.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

wisdomHNOX posted:

I don't know why some people are struggling to get defense wins while I am rolling in them, but it is possible!

Because my only good characters are Hector, Takumi, and Camilla, who are all super trivial to deal with if you're expecting them (and you should, because Hector or Takumi are in 90% of all matches). Having a powerful generic sworddude in front is really good because there's no simple way to just delete them at no risk, or at least those ways aren't very commonly used.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If they do add alternate weapon versions of characters I wonder if it would be an alternate weapon choice you can unlock with SP or if it would be a new version of the character.

Haha of course I know it will be the latter since this is a gacha game.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Somehow I got ranked? Just over 50k. Won't say no to 500 feathers.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

If I have Tiki, Robin and Lucina there's no reason to roll again right now, right? Anyone know what the next banner will be?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

BattleMaster posted:

If they do add alternate weapon versions of characters I wonder if it would be an alternate weapon choice you can unlock with SP or if it would be a new version of the character.

Haha of course I know it will be the latter since this is a gacha game.

I can tell you right now it will be the latter because of the focus the symbol color has in the character presentation.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

fairlight posted:

If I have Tiki, Robin and Lucina there's no reason to roll again right now, right? Anyone know what the next banner will be?

Unless you want Our Lord and Savior Takumi.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

MegaZeroX posted:

Unless you want Our Lord and Savior Takumi.

Takumi isn't a focus right now. Marth, Lucina, Tiki and Robin are

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

fairlight posted:

Takumi isn't a focus right now. Marth, Lucina, Tiki and Robin are

Press right on the banner to go to the second focus one.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Finished the last of the story orbs on summons and still not a single 5* so I rage-uninstalled. Can't really hang in arenas anymore and should've rerolled a bunch in the beginning instead of thinking I'd be ok with a few 4-bangers.

4* Effie was still a beast but everyone else started falling off.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Press right on the banner to go to the second focus one.

:eyepop:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Am I the only one that just spams intermediate arena and not care otherwise

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I find arena matches to be way more fun using dudes between 25-30. Enemy team comp tends to be more varied, and since its easy to level your own guys to 24 you have more options as well. The battle score isn't as high. But I was still able to get to 64k ranked using said team with a score of 3500.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

fairlight posted:

Next banner is Ephraim, Eirika, Seliph, and Julia. Having a good blue lord will probably be healthy for the meta and we'll see less double red lord teams and more greens in general.

Also god no do not reroll that

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Tae posted:

Am I the only one that just spams intermediate arena and not care otherwise

There's arena quests for doing advanced matches, and the reward is feathers, so

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Philip Rivers posted:

Next banner is Ephraim, Eirika, Seliph, and Julia. Having a good blue lord will probably be healthy for the meta and we'll see less double red lord teams and more greens in general.

Also god no do not reroll that

We don't know that they're all going to be on the same banner, or even that they're going to be on the very next banner. We just know they're coming.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Zurai posted:

We don't know that they're all going to be on the same banner, or even that they're going to be on the very next banner. We just know they're coming.

Well whatever, I still stand by thinking Ephraim will probably be good for game balance overall unless he's game-warpingly broken, which given how he was in FE8, is totally possible.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I don't get the Hector Hype. Maybe it's because I got lucky and pulled Tiki and Abel, and Abel munches falchion-users, and Tiki munches Hector.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Thanks for the tip about the banners. Blew all my stamina potions to run through lunatic missions and rolled 5* Takumi, Lyn, and Peri.

Takumi Hector Lucina Robin is gonna shred.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Clawtopsy posted:

I don't get the Hector Hype. Maybe it's because I got lucky and pulled Tiki and Abel, and Abel munches falchion-users, and Tiki munches Hector.

Hector wrecks pretty much anyone outside of Tiki and the red lords is his deal

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I was wailing (whaling) on a LV39 Hector with LV40 Marth, Roy+ and Takumi, for two straight turns, and he didn't die

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm not actually, like, any good at this (~4300 or so and my box isn't spectacular) but this is my impression of what the metagame looks like right now.

OU

Several powerful units are available to many whales because they're available in one of the starting summoning focuses, and you will see them with depressing frequency. Other units are considered OP enough to justify rerolling for, so you'll see them a lot too. You really want to be able to deal with all of these without needing to sacrifice someone. Obviously if you aren't swimming in 5* units you may have trouble covering all of these threats, but that's life:

- Falchions (Lucina, Marth, Chrom but he's bad)
- Hector
- Robin
- Tiki
- Takumi
- Azura / Olivia

BL

Other units are also extremely dangerous--arguably more dangerous than units in the above tier. However, you may be able to get away with having bad matchups against units here, because you'll see them much less frequently.

- Linde (e: i cannot overstate how badly she can destroy parties without a way to deal with her)
- Nowi (e: same, but for parties that use a swordlord without a falchion)
- Corrin-F
- Ryoma
- Kagero
- Lyn

UU

Several other units are seen as tech. They lack raw power, but they have dominatingly good matchups against common threats, and are often used to shore up a glaring hole in a team despite not having the same solo game-winning potential.

- Camilla (+ATK nature only)
checks linde, robin
- Catria
checks all swordlords
- Cordelia
checks takumi, most swordlords
- Abel
checks most swordlords
- Nino
checks robin, would obliterate more things if the ai wasn't garbage
- Roy
checks hector

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 13, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'm not going to lie, the best part of this game is how casually people drop into pokemon nerd nomeclature when they talk about it

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Your mistake was using anyone but Roy. Just put Hector and Roy into a room and close the door until Roy finishes the job. Hector can't do poo poo to him and Roy should tear him a new one every attack. Hector should be doing 7 damage on average to Roy while Roy does 29 damage on average to Hector. Two hits from Roy should defeat him. Those are average level 40 stats so there's some leeway but still, Roy's one purpose in life is to gently caress over axes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Selena's probably a better check to Hector - Armorslayer + Triangle Adept destroys him. She just doesn't get the Binding Blade's DEF bonuses or Seal Def.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Ugh, my Takumi is -Atk +Spd and my Lyn is -Spd +Res. That's.. not great, huh?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Selena's probably a better check to Hector - Armorslayer + Triangle Adept destroys him. She just doesn't get the Binding Blade's DEF bonuses or Seal Def.

He said he had Roy, and Roy is better against non-armor units (Selena's Attack is terrible). Anyway, I'm more curious how you could possibly have Marth, Roy, and Takumi each take two turns of attacking Hector and not kill him unless there's a vast level gap, in which case Hector should have killed them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Reiterpallasch posted:

i'm not going to lie, the best part of this game is how casually people drop into pokemon nerd nomeclature when they talk about it

nintendo has That Blizzard Thing where if you play one franchise you probably play 3-4 other ones, if not all of them. i see people use smash lingo in pokemon all the time.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Spellman posted:

I was wailing (whaling) on a LV39 Hector with LV40 Marth, Roy+ and Takumi, for two straight turns, and he didn't die

Assuming yours were 5*, then something was wrong. Like, even though Lucina has Luna to murder the hell out of Hector, she's still doing more damage than she's taking even base, and she hits twice. Marth and Roy shouldn't be too far off that, though without Luna it might take a bit longer. The trick with Takumi is to get Hector to smash him in the face once, so you get a massive damage buff from Vengeance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Reiterpallasch posted:

I'm not actually, like, any good at this (~4300 or so and my box isn't spectacular) but this is my impression of what the metagame looks like right now.

OU

Several powerful units are available to many whales because they're available in one of the starting summoning focuses, and you will see them with depressing frequency. Other units are considered OP enough to justify rerolling for, so you'll see them a lot too. You really want to be able to deal with all of these without needing to sacrifice someone. Obviously if you aren't swimming in 5* units you may have trouble covering all of these threats, but that's life:

- Falchions (Lucina, Marth, Chrom but he's bad)
- Hector
- Robin
- Tiki
- Takumi
- Azura / Olivia

BL

Other units are also extremely dangerous--arguably more dangerous than units in the above tier. However, you may be able to get away with having bad matchups against units here, because you'll see them much less frequently.

- Linde (e: i cannot overstate how badly she can destroy parties without a way to deal with her)
- Nowi (e: same, but for parties that use a swordlord without a falchion)
- Corrin-F
- Ryoma
- Kagero
- Lyn

UU

Several other units are seen as tech. They lack raw power, but they have dominatingly good matchups against common threats, and are often used to shore up a glaring hole in a team despite not having the same solo game-winning potential.

- Camilla (+ATK nature only)
checks linde, robin
- Catria
checks all swordlords
- Cordelia
checks takumi, most swordlords
- Abel
checks most swordlords
- Nino
checks robin, would obliterate more things if the ai wasn't garbage
- Roy
checks hector

This looks about right. Presuming this list is to represent what people use rather than what is great (although they are often correlated), I would make the following changes:

1) Effie is now becoming UU as people realized how good she is. Many people who hadn't yet spent their 20k feathers started spending it on her.

2) Move Camilla up to BL as she appears a lot since she is a focus character and green, and good greens are hard to come by.

3) You should put "different kinds of healers" inside UU, as many people use them in Arena, especially those without four 5* units.

4) I'm also not sure Nino is on the list. I've encountered maybe 1 person using Nino in the over a hundred arena matches I've played.

5) Miscellaneous 5* default heroes should be in the UU category as well, as people do use them by nature of them simply being available.

My current party is Tiki, Catria, Camilla, and Tharja right now. It's working pretty well, as I got an arena offense score of 4370 with my Catria still being below level 35 when I got that.