Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexicola
Jan 3, 2006
In a world that's full of shit and gasoline, baby
I played the closed and open beta, loved it. The character designs and customization are great. The core combat is punishingly fun. You want to get that rhythm right and get better, no matter how many times you get stomped. There is a 98% chance I will be picking this up this week and trying to get in games with goons.

Now about the players dropping. I was playing on the xbone and I lost connection 1 out of every 5 player vs player games that I played. I'm not sure what was specifically causing it but I imagine there were alot of people experiencing the same. I dont think ragequitters were as common as it seemed. This did not happen while playing vs AI enough for me to notice.

Even with the issues, its giving me a fix like Jedi Academy back in the heyday. No matter how much you suck at it, when you get in the zone and stomp other people its worth it.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
I suck rear end at videogames so my moderate success on Nobushi probably points to some imbalance there but Orachi was definitely the most difficult opponent to face when someone knew how to play him. HIs ability to close the distance makes it incredibly hard to get any kind of long distance offense in. I really didn't find any class was out of control. Everyone has the situation that benefits them so you jusr have to take them out of their comfort zone.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
I'll add to the personal post-beta reviews. According to Steam I somehow put 25 hours into the game. Most of my time was playing Warden or Conqueror because I couldn't sink low enough to be a weeaboo and I wanted to see how the game played once you got really good at a class rather than trying all the classes in the limited beta time. I'll start with the bad then get with the good.

Got a lot of P2P issues, mostly random disconnects and difficulty finding matches. Class balance is a bit fucky in terms of the skill floor with each class, but when I got good with Warden I never felt like I lost and it wasn't my fault. Worst for me was loving Marauders dumping me off the map from halfway across the loving map. Felt a bit cheesy that a grab could be an instant kill even when you weren't in an obvious danger zone. The community is poo poo, but that was part of what made it amusing for me. Salt harvesting was great. Also Uplay sucks.

That being said, I loved the game. I love the combat, I love the complexity of the classes and the play/counterplay aspects. I loved that it had some of the depth of a fighting game, but still had environments that could be total game changers. I liked way more of the game than I hated. Don't want to suck the skin off :ubisoft: 's dick too hard, but this game is great.

Unfortunately I just can't see this game as having a thriving community for long. It's just not accessible enough for casuals. The skill floor is too low, and not knowing how to play well can get you utterly dominated and make you feel like balance sucks which will turn people off the game super fast. Peacekeeper and Nobushi for instance make people seriously mad when they don't know how the gently caress the parry button works and the timing of grab canceling. The game needs a MANDATORY and DETAILED tutorial before you even attempt to play each class. Add to that everybody having a different idea of what constitutes "EHONOUR" in 2v2 and 4v4 game modes and you have a recipe for a lot of people not playing for long.

Personally I'm going to seriously consider waiting for the inevitable sale a few months down the line, and jump in then once the initial hype of the game has died down. I just can't see it sitting at 60bux for long, and personally with lots of potentially good games coming soon it's a hard sell to pay full price.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Welp I hate physical copies but PS4 is $48 with amazon prime so gently caress it. Anyone know if you can get a PSN download at that price?

Garrand posted:

I'm not at all sure how, but I've seen people (bots, mainly) actually "block"(?) the other stabs. Like it makes a block sound and didn't deal damage (although that's hard to tell).

I swear to god I blocked one of the peacekeeper stabs but not sure. Shoulda recorded it.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

mellowjournalism posted:

Welp I hate physical copies but PS4 is $48 with amazon prime so gently caress it. Anyone know if you can get a PSN download at that price?

I swear to god I blocked one of the peacekeeper stabs but not sure. Shoulda recorded it.

you can't block the stabs, that's just the peacekeeper loving up the timing

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

OctaMurk posted:

There is actually some bug where you can block a stab and it'll play the weapon blocking noise.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The Raider has the dash guardbreak, but their actual throws, non carry, aren't that much better than other characters. This means that the only long distance hazard you have to keep in mind is directly behind you. The carry lasts a long time, but you can't really steer it.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

OctaMurk posted:

There's a Kensei feat that makes you immune to grabs for a while. Not sure if other classes have it as well.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Oh beta's over? Well shove all my advice up your rear end and peace out because I'm not buying this for $60

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

The Raider has the dash guardbreak, but their actual throws aren't that much better than other characters. This means that the only long distance hazard you have to keep in mind is directly behind you. The carry lasts a long time, but you can't really steer it.

Yeah it's just REALLY loving far, plus ledges are like magnets where if you're anywhere near them and prone you get sucked over into the loving abyss. I'm not saying it's not counterable I just got frustrated when in 2v2s and there's hazards all over the loving place and as soon as my back is to anything I'd get guard broken once and be dead.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
One of my favorite moments in the beta was one of the only times I played warlord and was doing 2v2s. Took down my guy, went to watch my team mate duke it out with his guy. My team mate almost gets him but then he breaks and runs toward his downed buddy. Nope! My fat viking leaps his rear end like 15 feet somehow and one hits him.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

mellowjournalism posted:

Thanks for the heads-up. I just ordered mine for Xbone.

Also, I know it's from a few pages back, but I definitely agree that the bots can be way harder to fight than humans. I accidentally joined a PvP dominion game and had a fun game bullying them at B.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Psycho Society posted:

One of my favorite moments in the beta was one of the only times I played warlord and was doing 2v2s. Took down my guy, went to watch my team mate duke it out with his guy. My team mate almost gets him but then he breaks and runs toward his downed buddy. Nope! My fat viking leaps his rear end like 15 feet somehow and one hits him.

Between the Zerker's overhead, Warlord's flying chop, and Raider's ability to CARRY A FAT DUDE IN FULL PLATE WITH A SHIELD it's pretty loving clear the Vikings don't skip leg day.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Haroshia posted:

Yeah it's just REALLY loving far, plus ledges are like magnets where if you're anywhere near them and prone you get sucked over into the loving abyss. I'm not saying it's not counterable I just got frustrated when in 2v2s and there's hazards all over the loving place and as soon as my back is to anything I'd get guard broken once and be dead.

This but with crusader. Motherfucker can guardbreak and stun you like 10 times in twice as many seconds, just ragdolling your hero into any spikes or ledges wherever he pleases

edit: but yea my favorite thing to do as raider was just smash fools into the furniture and give them "the people's knee" as much as humanely possible.

Psycho Society fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 13, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cowcaster posted:

Oh beta's over? Well shove all my advice up your rear end and peace out because I'm not buying this for $60

:eyepop:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think I could like this game. That being said at 60 bucks, requiring uplay and it having rpg mechanics (like what the gently caress is that even doing in a game so focused on skill) really kills it.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Duck and Cover posted:

I think I could like this game. That being said at 60 bucks, requiring uplay and it having rpg mechanics (like what the gently caress is that even doing in a game so focused on skill) really hurts my desire.

I like the gear. I think that there should be options for people who don't want to worry about it but still want to play 4v4 though. Is 1v1 the only mode that doesn't take gear into account?

As for those of you not buying in at release, I hope to see you and many others during the inevitable sale.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

This game looks really nice but... 35 quid for what is essentially 4v4 chivalry? That seems kind of a lot.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Only 4v4 matches (either deathmatch or domination) use item stats. 2v2 and 1v1 don't.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

I think I could like this game. That being said at 60 bucks, requiring uplay and it having rpg mechanics (like what the gently caress is that even doing in a game so focused on skill) really kills it.

Honestly all the gear lowers some stats for every stat it increases so it's really not making a big difference in the 4v4s.

Drone_Fragger posted:

This game looks really nice but... 35 quid for what is essentially 4v4 chivalry? That seems kind of a lot.

This game plays nothing like chivalry.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nechronic posted:

As for those of you not buying in at release, I hope to see you and many others during the inevitable sale.

I feel bad for anyone who tries to get into this game any significant time after release. poo poo will be BRUTAL.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

All the network issues I was getting convinced me to wait on this game

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

I feel bad for anyone who tries to get into this game any significant time after release. poo poo will be BRUTAL.

And those who survive will be tempered by the fires of the noob destroyers to be hard, and strong.

:black101: Deus Vult

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Nechronic posted:

I like the gear. I think that there should be options for people who don't want to worry about it but still want to play 4v4 though. Is 1v1 the only mode that doesn't take gear into account?

Maybe when it's on sale but honestly that learning curve is pretty unfriendly and I'm not sure this game will ever be able to maintain a healthy sized community. Perhaps it's better for serious fighter players. I never want to feel I lost because someone has better gear than me. Playing more should be an advantage in that you have more experience in a game and not that you have higher numbers. It killed Clash Royale for me.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Duck and Cover posted:

Maybe when it's on sale but honestly that learning curve is pretty unfriendly and I'm not sure this game will ever be able to maintain a healthy sized community. Perhaps it's better for serious fighter players. I never want to feel I lost because someone has better gear than me. Playing more should be an advantage in that you have more experience in a game and not that you have higher numbers. It killed Clash Royale for me.

Yeah I'm not really sure how much of a difference it's going to make when everyone is rolling around in high level equipment. The only thing I cared about was maxing out the attack on my blade. I guess if you're playing a Raider things like throw distance are a lot more important.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Indecisive posted:

Looking to buy this through steam but not sure if it will link to my already-existing Uplay account, anyone done it / know how to link them beforehand?

For anyone else curious about this, I contacted Uplay support and they said the first time you launch from Steam it will ask you to link your Uplay account. Already threw my money down, from the beta I'm quite confident I'll be playing this for a long time to come.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

Well like we were talking about a minute ago items don't even do anything unless you're playing 4v4, in which case a match is more likely to be decided by what your team mates do anyways.

In either case the game should usually put you with people of comparable skill, and you shouldn't be swamped by someone who has crazy stats.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The game really needs to give you a better indication of when someone's coming up from behind to tackle or chop you because you have no way of looking around without losing your blocking. I can wreck people in 4v4 but when I have to deal with getting absolutely destroyed from behind because I have no blocking that way, i'm not really sure what to do about it. When you're actually in the thick of it with two people you can kinda work it and the game tries to give you a break with revenge mode(which should not be available in 2v2 or 1v1), still results in a lot of frustration.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Why should revenge mode not be available in smaller matches? It's a good mechanic for either giving you a chance at someone who's just spamming you with light attacks, or giving you an much-needed edge if you get 2v1'd. Otherwise you would just get wrecked every time by wildly swinging idiots and it would suck.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Panzeh posted:

The game really needs to give you a better indication of when someone's coming up from behind to tackle or chop you because you have no way of looking around without losing your blocking. I can wreck people in 4v4 but when I have to deal with getting absolutely destroyed from behind because I have no blocking that way, i'm not really sure what to do about it. When you're actually in the thick of it with two people you can kinda work it and the game tries to give you a break with revenge mode(which should not be available in 2v2 or 1v1), still results in a lot of frustration.

Look at your minimap, its there for a reason.

Also keep in mind to block people who you are not locked on to you don't need to actively guard them. If you locked on to one dude, and another dude to your right just leave your guard resting on the right and it will autoblock every single move the other guy makes. Only change your block to actively block the guy you are facing when the attack comes.

For me against most people in 2v1's its basically a free win as the intruding party just mindlessly attacks and gives me free revenge, the smarter thing to do if you are coming in on a fight in progress is to be doing guardbreaks and other stuff as to not fill their revenge bar.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Psycho Society posted:

Why should revenge mode not be available in smaller matches? It's a good mechanic for either giving you a chance at someone who's just spamming you with light attacks, or giving you an much-needed edge if you get 2v1'd. Otherwise you would just get wrecked every time by wildly swinging idiots and it would suck.

How would you get wrecked by wildly swinging idiots without revenge mode? Attacks drain stamina

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
OP did you even play the beta

rap music posted:

For Honor is an upcoming medieval hack n' slash fighting game

loving fixed jesus christ

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Even if their stamina is drained they can still just back off, and just block if you decide to focus on him while his team mate wails on you. Revenge is a solid mechanic no matter how you slice it.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
In a 2v1, it's a very good mechanic. In a 1v1, I don't think it's a great mechanic. If a guy's stamina is drained they cannot roll backwards, so you can chase them down and gently caress them up especially with throws. In Duel and Brawl because of no gear stats, revenge is pretty much never an issue; in a 1v1 fight during elimination or dominion (which is clown mode anyways) it becomes absurd if someone put their gear towards revenge mode.

Also, can we put in the OP that there are goons in the Chugging the Stairs mumble under Ubisoft Central, and put maybe one Discord voice channel that we all agree on?

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

So can I just drop the stuff from the beta folder into the release folder so I don't have to download it again?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

I'm not either; I got it for $48.

Duck and Cover posted:

Gear only matters in the 4v4 or custom modes, but I'm not sure why gear needs to exist in this game in the first place (outside of cosmetics).

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Monowhatever posted:

So can I just drop the stuff from the beta folder into the release folder so I don't have to download it again?

Release is a larger install 32g instead of the 24 for the beta. I tried this and it just made me download the full thing again.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

1500 posted:

Release is a larger install 32g instead of the 24 for the beta. I tried this and it just made me download the full thing again.

drat well thank you I'll leave it to download when I'm at class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
Loved the beta, but I'm worried for the game's long term staying power. Hopefully it will do a good job matching players of similar skill levels once they do the full release. That will make or break it long term IMHO.

I pre-ordered because I'm a sucker for any game that lets you stomp people as a viking.