Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
MCS. Honestly I'd watch it raw if I could find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Watching Ex-Aid and it rules but the episode where Hiiro performs surgery to cure a guy with terminal pancreatic cancer is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Coq au Nandos posted:

Watching Ex-Aid and it rules but the episode where Hiiro performs surgery to cure a guy with terminal pancreatic cancer is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

I was cracking up at how nutty that episode was because it's amazing to depict Hiiro as a surgeon in heroic Kamen Rider world where the main characters are always triumphant over evil, including terminal cancer. He was able to operate on an elderly man into remission in a matter of hours as a solo surgeon!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that scene was necessary because the show had never actually demonstrated that hiiro was a "genius surgeon". up til that point he had just been a dickish, mediocre kamen rider and the beneficiary of a giant load of nepotism.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I was cracking up at how nutty that episode was because it's amazing to depict Hiiro as a surgeon in heroic Kamen Rider world where the main characters are always triumphant over evil, including terminal cancer. He was able to operate on an elderly man into remission in a matter of hours as a solo surgeon!

I loved how the next episode just casually mentions the guy's cancer was "cured". Not even "Hiiro gave the elderly man a fighting chance at cancer", but "lol bye cancer suck it" :v:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Dude can cut the squishiest of desserts into equal parts I'm sure cancer is nothin'.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that scene was necessary because the show had never actually demonstrated that hiiro was a "genius surgeon". up til that point he had just been a dickish, mediocre kamen rider and the beneficiary of a giant load of nepotism.

Hiiro's character progression has been so low-key post-Graphite I'm looking forward to them finally giving the guy some major frame-time to show it off.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Dude can cut the squishiest of desserts into equal parts I'm sure cancer is nothin'.

Hiiro's character progression has been so low-key post-Graphite I'm looking forward to them finally giving the guy some major frame-time to show it off.

We saw Dan upgrading Taddle Quest in his lab in the episode before yesterday's, so I'm sure his time has to be coming soon.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Ignis posted:

I loved how the next episode just casually mentions the guy's cancer was "cured". Not even "Hiiro gave the elderly man a fighting chance at cancer", but "lol bye cancer suck it" :v:

Yeah, it would have been magical realism if they were all like "Hiiro is so skilled that old dude might live a wonderful life for a couple years longer to see his grandchildren", but nope, his cancer is literally gone like a video game.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Kyuuranger's first episode is a goddamn mess.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Kyuuranger's first episode is a goddamn mess.

I love it

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
In three words, Kyuuranger is "Style Over Substance", but that style is so very my jam that i'll stick to it for a bit.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
The whole vibe is very Kamen Rider Meteor and I love it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

It could be the worst thing ever and I'd still be hyped based on how good the designs are and how good Zyuohger was.

Plus, I mean, I watched Ninninger which is basically an unspoken promise to watch all Sentai from now on since "C'mon, I made it through Ninninger."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
OT peeps why did you go with Dorado for the swordfish

I'm not asking because you're wrong I'm asking because localization is p interesting to me

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm not asking because you're wrong I'm asking because localization is p interesting to me

...probably because Dorado is the name of the constellation, like with every other Ranger/Voyager name they translated (correctly, for my money)?

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorado

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Oh poo poo, subs already? Excellent work, O-T! Thanks!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
The budget on this Kyuranger episode feels loving absurd. There are explosions and meteors everywhere. I love it.

I'm not worried about 'style over substance' because this is the first 21 minutes. If it's flashy enough and has this much energy I will forgive a ton of stuff.

Also the Black Ranger is amazing. I love him. I love him looking at being left behind to fight 100 bad guys and he's like 'Eh gently caress it let's go, I got this.'

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

The budget on this Kyuranger episode feels loving absurd. There are explosions and meteors everywhere. I love it.

I'm not worried about 'style over substance' because this is the first 21 minutes. If it's flashy enough and has this much energy I will forgive a ton of stuff.

Also the Black Ranger is amazing. I love him. I love him looking at being left behind to fight 100 bad guys and he's like 'Eh gently caress it let's go, I got this.'

You know the score. Black Ranger for best Kyuranger.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

It could be the worst thing ever and I'd still be hyped based on how good the designs are and how good Zyuohger was.

Plus, I mean, I watched Ninninger which is basically an unspoken promise to watch all Sentai from now on since "C'mon, I made it through Ninninger."

Ninninger wasn't great, but I'd put it over say, Gekiranger.

Takaharu might be a bad actor but at least his dialog isn't literal nonsense

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
look for the geki-senshi subs of gekiranger instead of tv-nihon's then and don't hold bad subtitles against a series.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I can't believe they made the Blue Ranger's suit furry too. And the main team are the odd numbers. I wonder if that will figure in to the narrative in any way.

They really covered a lot of ground in one episode. I suppose it will slow down a little next week.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I think I love Kyuranger, you guys. Red's motivation to get in that fight is super contrived, but they'll probably cover his rear end with backstory later?

Anyway, the next episode preview revealed that Silver and Gold do Jojo poses, and that's about all I need from life.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Caphi posted:

...probably because Dorado is the name of the constellation, like with every other Ranger/Voyager name they translated (correctly, for my money)?

Well hey

I learned something today.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hemingway To Go! posted:

look for the geki-senshi subs of gekiranger instead of tv-nihon's then and don't hold bad subtitles against a series.

Are those the GekiKnight ones BC I feel like the verdict was that those weren't much better

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Hemingway To Go! posted:

it doesn't matter what you translate niki niki ukya ukya zowa zowa as it's still basically the Sentai equivalent of Opera Man

If anything, just making him sound like a regular idiot instead of someone who uses onamatapeia instead of actual words probably makes it easier for people who are watching it with subs

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

it doesn't matter what you translate niki niki ukya ukya zowa zowa as it's still basically the Sentai equivalent of Opera Man

If anything, just making him sound like a regular idiot instead of someone who uses onamatapeia instead of actual words probably makes it easier for people who are watching it with subs

Yeah Jan's speech quirks got annoying at times (as did the fly that commented on the mech battles) but personally I liked the rest of Gekiranger well enough that it didn't bother me all that much (Long was a decent villain, I liked that the show was basically one long training montage on both the hero and villain sides and there is almost no filler, every episode advances the story in some way even if it's just a little bit at the very end).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 13, 2017

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Are those the GekiKnight ones BC I feel like the verdict was that those weren't much better

I'll look it up later but the one I watched translated it in into child speak and made it comprehensible ("your dancing has no synchy synch", etc)

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I watched the Geki-senshi subs and guess what? Jan's dialogue is still poo poo and awful.
Gekiranger is like if TV Tropes wrote a Sentai.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Well, I think I'm not going to change your opinions but I'd recommend it to others as a significant season that people should form their own opinions of and one which "avoid TV Nihon" goes doubly so.

I don't think it comes off as a trope collection, it certainly uses """""tropes""""" but each of them means something. And you know what, I liked that there was a lot going on, but I'm more of a Rider guy than a Sentai guy and it was really different when I came back to a middle episode after putting it on hold for a year and realizing I did not remember why anyone was doing things. Which I think was good, especially for a sentai season. I felt like it all came together in the end, and I was glad that I had experienced this season.

I'd also recommend it to people who like Kung Fu movies (which I might start doing after I finish watching Hesei Riders to my satisfaction), there's apparently a lot of references beyond "Sharky Chan" and "Bat Li", for instance "The Five Deadly Venoms" is a Kung Fu movie reference and not just the first set of motw's.

It's not strong praise, I know, but I don't want to spoil anything and I and kind of pressed for time at the moment. It's also the only pre-gokaiger season I've finished, unfortunately. I can't binge series like I used to. But I don't want to leave it with bad press is all.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My dude you should be picking up the shout DVDs

All of you should

Keep the dream of pre-Zyu subs alive

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I watched neither of those versions for Gekiranger (a spanish version, translated directly from japanese by the Tokunet main translator ages ago) and I, too, think Jan's dialogue is poo poo and awful.

And yeah, the Gekiknight version of Geki is flawed on a whole different way. The guy has improved over the years, but when he did Geki he didn't have that much experience translating, and it shows on a fair lot of his lines.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fezz posted:

I can't believe they made the Blue Ranger's suit furry too. And the main team are the odd numbers. I wonder if that will figure in to the narrative in any way.

They really covered a lot of ground in one episode. I suppose it will slow down a little next week.

The odd numbers looks to be a mecha reason afaict. The first main mecha is 1-3-5-7-9 and the other is 1-2-4-6-8. When the 10th shows, up, presumably, that'll allow for 2-4-6-8-10 (and 3-5-7-9-10). It's like how Zyuu had a 1-2-3 and a 4-5-6 mecha

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ignis posted:

I watched neither of those versions for Gekiranger (a spanish version, translated directly from japanese by the Tokunet main translator ages ago) and I, too, think Jan's dialogue is poo poo and awful.

And yeah, the Gekiknight version of Geki is flawed on a whole different way. The guy has improved over the years, but when he did Geki he didn't have that much experience translating, and it shows on a fair lot of his lines.

Is that the GekiSenshi version or is there a third floating around

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Is that the GekiSenshi version or is there a third floating around

Pretty sure that's the GekiSenshi version, and if anything it actually translates a bit too much (Gekiranger is called Wildranger in those subs for example).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 13, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Larryb posted:

Pretty sure that's the GekiSenshi version, and if anything it actually translates a bit too much (Gekiranger is called Wildranger in those subs for example).

yeah hard pass, i'll wait till shout gets there with dvds

ohranger just came, btw. all caught up on currently released sets, and i have carranger on preorder

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Finally watched episode 1. What's the total number of times Lucky said "lucky"? That was actually really annoying. Green has no real personality afaict so far. Garu is pretty meh except that he's voiced by the same VA as Zoro from One Piece. Hopefully it'll improve once they're done with the requisite recruitment drive and the first round of collectible gathering.

Stallion Cabana posted:

The first episodes always look flashier than the later episodes. Expect less CG'd explosions per episode until the middle climax and the end. It's good to know that the Helheim props from Kamen Rider Gaim are getting maximum use though. They also made an appearance in Zyuuranger too iirc.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

I think I love Kyuranger, you guys. Red's motivation to get in that fight is super contrived, but they'll probably cover his rear end with backstory later?

Anyway, the next episode preview revealed that Silver and Gold do Jojo poses, and that's about all I need from life.

Special bonus: Gold is being voiced by the same VA as Josuke in Diamond is Not Crash Unbreakable.

Black/Champ has voiced other sentai monsters as well as Blackbeard of One Piece, Black Jack and Solid Snake. I expect a reference to this at some point.

The Commander is voiced by the husband of the author of Saint Young Men

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

It's good to know that the Helheim props from Kamen Rider Gaim are getting maximum use though. They also made an appearance in Zyuuranger too iirc.

I hope nobody ate the fruit on Garu's planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Zangyack shows up to conquer Earth and 34 teams of Sentai show up to kick their rear end and send them packing.

These Jark Matter jokers show up to conquer Earth and do so with no resistance.

Maybe they were all taking a nap.

• Locked thread