Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I love my Bosch too. Has a special top rack just for utensils

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Since I am planning on doing our kitchen in a few years, are there any dishwashers that can fit large stockpots and the like? Our currwnt rollaway cant even handle larger dinnet plates due to clearance for the spinning nozels.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

therobit posted:

Since I am planning on doing our kitchen in a few years, are there any dishwashers that can fit large stockpots and the like? Our currwnt rollaway cant even handle larger dinnet plates due to clearance for the spinning nozels.

No.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

How large is large? The aforementioned Bosch makes it suuuuuuper easy to adjust the height on the top rack, giving more clearance for taller items on the bottom. Give me some dimensions and I'll see if it'd fit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That is absolutely false.

These do a fine job on large stock pots:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Really the only dumb thing about having two sinks is if they're both tiny because at some point you're going to have something large that needs to soak and using the bathtub sucks. Otherwise a second sink is just a small luxury that lets you have dedicated dirty and clean basins for dishes and food prep.

Motronic posted:

Hello chapped hands, forearms, and elbows.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 12, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Motronic posted:

Well now. I could shower in that myself.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Why stop there? You could undoubtedly poo poo in it as well.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Why stop there? You could undoubtedly poo poo in it as well.

Isn't that what the wheeléd bin is for :confused:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Nah, that's what the plates are for.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I can fit two 12 quart stockpots on the bottom rack of my Kenmore #66513293K112.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our dishwasher is weak and loud. I only use it as an overflow drying rack after large meals.

I wash dishes by hand three times a day. My knuckles are splitting and my fingertips are like sandpaper.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Alereon posted:

With modern dishwashers, pre-rinsing fools the sensors into thinking your dishes are cleaner than they are, so they come out less clean. If you just put them in filthy the machine goes into full DishFucker 9000 mode and does a better job. Of course, your mileage may vary with certain dishes, stains, and lovely machines, but that's how it's SUPPOSED to work. Cascade Complete pacs are consistently top-rated for cleaning and spot-prevention.

H110Hawk posted:

It's amazing every single time. We use the Cascade 3-color pacs in 1.5 year old modern high end dishwasher, you can't really hear it running, and stuff comes out spotless. I just get the literal solids off, usually with my napkin, and load it. My biggest regret right now is not buying the one with an integrated garbage disposal. To put that regret in perspective it's somewhere between "I regret eating all of the cookie batter" and "I regret eating all of the double batch of cookie batter."

I also nearly spit take my coffee at DishFucker 9000.

I've been saying this about sensors but people don't care about my opinions so I just let them do their thing. But I need a DishFucker9000 with STEELCHOPPINGBLADES in my life, so which one is this?

Apparently my MIL has been putting whole banana peels down the disposal in their new rental. It's not like "gently caress it, it's a rental!" she thinks a disposal is like a composter. I mean, it is now....or soon will be.

E: what the gently caress did the Imgur poster get for 10k on that "remodel"? All I see is a missing washer/dryer.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

NancyPants posted:

Apparently my MIL has been putting whole banana peels down the disposal in their new rental. It's not like "gently caress it, it's a rental!" she thinks a disposal is like a composter. I mean, it is now....or soon will be.

Is that not what a disposal is for?

I've never had one, nor even been at someone's house who has...

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

So I'm dishwasher ignorant, but they always seemed like rather simple devices to me. How does this sensor work to detect how dirty the dishes are?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I put banana peels down the disposal. But with it running

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

NancyPants posted:

But I need a DishFucker9000 with STEELCHOPPINGBLADES in my life, so which one is this?
I got a nice GE with a steel tub at my old place, the keyword for many brands is "self-cleaning filter" means it has a garbage disposal built-in that grinds up any debris that gets caught in the screen, as opposed to making you remove and clean the filter yourself. I'm not normally a fan of garbage disposals but I make an exception for not needing to get into my dishwasher.

ohgodwhat posted:

So I'm dishwasher ignorant, but they always seemed like rather simple devices to me. How does this sensor work to detect how dirty the dishes are?
During the initial rinse it senses how dirty the water coming off the dishes is, it probably uses an optical sensor like a smoke detector. If you pre-rinsed, then this water will be rather clean so the dishwasher thinks there's very little grime on your dishes. Here's an article with more details.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My understanding was that banana peels were likely to get the disposal clogged, seeing as they contain a lot of long fibers that could get wrapped up around things.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Naturally Selected posted:

I might be the crappy construction here, but can someone please explain to me the obsession with dual sinks? My friend recently replaced their cramped and annoying dual set for a single huge sink (fitting into the same space) and it's such an improvement it's unbelievable.

I came from a large single sink and just bought a house with a split sink. HUGE loving improvement, IMHO. I most often use it to wash everything on the left side and move it to the right side to eventually rinse. Huge time/water saver.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Messadiah posted:

Is that not what a disposal is for?

I've never had one, nor even been at someone's house who has...

Pretty much. It's basically a way to direct food waste into the water system along with the rest of our organic waste.

But I mostly use mine for stuff that's too wet for the garbage or really stinky.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

therobit posted:

NancyPants posted:

I've been saying this about sensors but people don't care about my opinions so I just let them do their thing. But I need a DishFucker9000 with STEELCHOPPINGBLADES in my life, so which one is this?

I have a Bosch SHE66something. There is a whole feature matrix that the fine people at pacific sales can get out to walk you through it. We have the 3-tray one and while the silverware tray seems silly it was worth it.
Currently loaded with an 8.5L stock pot, 6qt instant pot, flower vase, 3plates, cheese grater in the bottom rack. Middle has a medium pot in it + a bunch of bowls/cups/etc, top rack has a bunch of silverware, baby bottle parts, 2 metal spatulas, cooking spoon, and spoon rest thing.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Well now I know what to look for, thanks guys.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Whoa now, we were talking about dishwashers not margarita machines.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I came from a large single sink and just bought a house with a split sink. HUGE loving improvement, IMHO. I most often use it to wash everything on the left side and move it to the right side to eventually rinse. Huge time/water saver.

You... don't wash, rinse, and set it to dry in one movement? :psyduck: This is the one part I don't get. And yeah, the aforementioned bullshit where the average double sink can't fit a normal-sized wok or a cookie sheet comfortably.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Wash on left basin, set in right basin. Continue until right basin is full of soapy dishes, then rinse and place in drying rack. Continue until dishes completed.

I just bought a counter top dishwasher for my apartment instead of hand washing dishes though, gently caress that noise.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:psyboom:

$4.50 is too much to spend for a proper plate?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

`Nemesis posted:

Wash on left basin, set in right basin. Continue until right basin is full of soapy dishes, then rinse and place in drying rack. Continue until dishes completed.

I just bought a counter top dishwasher for my apartment instead of hand washing dishes though, gently caress that noise.

I've had a SPT Countertop that I bought off of Amazon for the past few years. God I love it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have like a 30 year old rollaway dishwasher that you hook up to the faucet and plug into an outlet. It is noisy as hell. But I pack it ridiculously full of barely-rinsed dishes and then it Dishfucks them thoroughly. It has zero computers in it. You push big chunky plastic buttons in on the front and they go Click and there's a big knob you have to crank around to the setting you want. I'm sure it's using eight times as much water as a modern efficient dishwasher but man, you really do not have to piss about pre-rinsing all your stuff. It does not have a disposal built in but I think it might not have a filter either? It just spews waste water down the sink drain. I mean I'm not throwing like whole pieces of food in there, but I don't have to pre-wash anything either unless it's glued on.

I like having two sinks because for example I can put a sinktop strainer on one side and stand there washing fruit (for canning) and the other side is still free for my wife to quickly wash something. Also the disposal is on the left side, so the right side you never scrape food into so it's generally a lot cleaner. I can wash that sink with dish soap and now it's fine to throw vegetables in or whatever, while the left side is still gross from whatever we're chucking in there.

When I was growing up we had one giant sink and we just put a tub on one side that lived there almost all the time, though... and that worked fine. So if you don't have a split sink, a $5 investment gets you most of the way there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Naturally Selected posted:

You... don't wash, rinse, and set it to dry in one movement? :psyduck: This is the one part I don't get

I've learned that this is like sitting vs. standing to wipe your rear end, in that there are two camps, neither one is aware of the other, and when they find out they're aghast that anyone could do it the other way.

Neither one is as bad as the people who simply don't rinse the soap off of things afterwards.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Neither one is as bad as the people who simply don't rinse the soap off of things afterwards.

Ohhhh my god, that reminds me. When I was a kid we lived in the UK for a couple years. One time we went over to some new friends' house for dinner and after dinner I helped my friend and his older brother with the "washing up." They just soaped up with Fairy Liquid, washed it in the sudsy sink, and then handed the dish off to someone to wipe it dry with a towel.

No rinse step.

I was like "woah, why don't you rinse that?" and they're all "what? Rinse? What do you mean?" and I was like "hey have you ever noticed all your food tastes like soap?" and they had one of those amazed moments of revelation. I immediately felt bad because I was probably being a bit rude about it and just didn't realize.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I've had a SPT Countertop that I bought off of Amazon for the past few years. God I love it.

We probably have the same unit, and it's just perfect for one to two people. gently caress washing dishes by hand forever.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Leperflesh posted:

I was like "woah, why don't you rinse that?" and they're all "what? Rinse? What do you mean?" and I was like "hey have you ever noticed all your food tastes like soap?" and they had one of those amazed moments of revelation. I immediately felt bad because I was probably being a bit rude about it and just didn't realize.

...did all their food taste like soap?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Old cartoons wash dishes like that and it always bothered me.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm from the UK and I only perform a dedicated rinse on items where the bubbles might not be removable with a teatowel such as a narrowly necked bottle or the lid off a travel cup. On anything else it's simply not necessary.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, maybe not to someone with a British sense of taste, no.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I've eaten meatloaf my friend. Glass houses.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
What's the structural integrity of an Ikea cabinet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vai8xV6jD60

there wolf fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 13, 2017

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Should be good enough for climbing up twice a day.

I'm more worried about the bed supported by a single 2x4 that's not even true dimensional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

NancyPants posted:

E: what the gently caress did the Imgur poster get for 10k on that "remodel"? All I see is a missing washer/dryer.

http://www.maytag.com/-[MDB5969SDM]-1111959/MDB5969SDM/

this is my stainless choppomatic 10billion use cascade in it and rinse aid and do your dishes promptly after cooking and you dont have to rinse or prewash a drat thing.

weird brackets gently caress up the formatting there

http://www.searsoutlet.com/MDB5969S...557&mode=seeAll

e: only con i have is really first world and stupid. Its hard to tell when its on, you usually have to touch the front or look at the lights on the top edge to tell. I know right, such horrible problems i have.

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 13, 2017