Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

unknown posted:

Has anyone dealt with enterprise macosx management of like 50+ laptops?

Got asked by a guy that wants to use Addigy cloud based management and I'm looking for some happy/horror stories about it (or anything else).
Interested in this too, on the surface this software looks really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

decypher posted:

I really want to use iCloud Photo Library, for some stupid reason, but it's been frustrating with my setup.

I keep my photo library file and all accompanying pictures on an external drive, a situation which doesn't seem all that rare to me. Go to click the iCloud Photo Library button: Oh, the photo library needs to be on a drive formatted with the traditional macOS filesystem? Ok, I'll move my 34GB photo library file(WTF?!) to my SSD which only has 100GB free, no problem. I'll sacrifice some things and move some other data to an external drive, no problem.

I moved the library file to my SSD. Click the on button to iCloud Photo Library. It then informs me iCloud Photo Library will only upload "consolidated" files, not "referenced" files and that 40,000 of my pictures will not be uploaded to iCloud Photo Library because they're not copied to my iCloud Photo Library. Well, gently caress, pictures/videos collection is just under 500GB, so there's absolutely no way they will fit on my SSD.

What am I supposed to do? Is my only course of action biting the bullet and letting Photos copy and manage my photos?

iCloud library and photostream has been consistently hosed for me for a while now. if I put a large quantity of photos into iPhoto it just does the first few hundred then stops letting new images come in from other devices and stops syncing out to others.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Two posts in one day, yeesh.

I've got a file in the trash can that won't delete. It says "The operation can't be completed because the item "Photos Library.photoslibrary" is in use.

This particular file was deleted from an exFAT external drive. I've tried going into the command line to rm -R but to no avail, it returns that the 'Directory not empty." Which is cute because I was under the impression that's what the -R flag did.

I've tried using the inum method which entails finding the inum for the folder/file and trying to delete using that. Didn't work, spit back the same error message rm did intially: Directory not empty.

Lastly, I booted into Windows 7 to see if it was any easier in Windows. Nope. How do I empty this Trash?

edit:

Hi! Just wanted to add that searching lsof for the file in question produces zero hits.

decypher fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 8, 2017

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

TACD posted:

I feel like I should be the kind of person who'd love Alfred but when I've tried it before I wasn't sure what I wanted it to do... like, I have no use for anything as complicated as what you've described but I'm sure there's other handy things it does I don't know about. What are some of the really fundamental / basic things it does that you love?

Edit: Like, can it show me the loving location of a file when I search for it? Because I am always opening up Spotlight to find a file before remembering it won't tell me where the drat thing is and I have to go do a search in Finder instead :(

It's been a long time since I've used Alfred without the power pack and looking at the site, it seems that Alfred without power pack isn't really that much better than spotlight. Stuff to do with vanilla Alfred:

* The exact thing you want to do with searching for a file and opening it in Finder. You can also quick look the found file.
* Same thing but for strings inside (text-based) files
* App Launcher with fuzzy find. EG "acm" for Activity Monitor, "rdp" for Microsoft Remote Desktop
* Calculator. Just invoke Alfred and type some math. Does scientific too
* Web Searches - "imdb arrival", "g impeachment" (google), "gi cats wearing hats" (google images), "amz lube" (amazon), etc to open site in default browser with search term
* "spell rediculous" / "define blissom" to quickly verify spelling or define a word
* System commands - empty trash, sleep, screensaver, volume/mute, force quit an app, etc

Once you've gotten used to using vanilla Alfred for basic stuff take a look at the power pack -- that's where it gets badass (but does require some effort to get setup and customized).

* Clipboard Manager - save a rolling history of your clipboard so you can quickly find that thing you copied yesterday. Also, tracks images/files on clipboard, not just text. You can blacklist apps (1Password, Keychain) if you don't want sensitive passwords to be kept in history.
* Snippets + Text Expansion - save frequently used blocks of text and quickly navigate/paste them. Can also set a snippet to a trigger for text expansion. Instead of typing out your mailing address, type ::address:: (or whatever you want the trigger to be) and it'll get auto replaced with your address. Instead of typing out similar email responses to customers/users over and over, make an email snippet for ::passwordreset:: or whatever and let Alfred type the body of the email for you. If you write code or config files, make snippets for functions you use a lot or blank config files or whatever.
* Control iTunes
* Contact search - copy to clipboard, send email, make phone call directly from Alfred
* Send quick/one-off commands to Terminal (or iTerm, i think)
* 1Password integration - invoke Alfred, "1p forums.somethingawful.com" to open a new tab in default browser and auto-login to the site
* Workflows - this is where the real magic happens. Create or download workflows to do poo poo that Alfred doesn't do out of the box.

There are shitloads of workflows available on Alfred forums, packal.org, and GitHub. Some workflows that i use:

* Spotify Mini - search and control Spotify from Alfred
* Units - unit (length/volume/mass/temperature/etc) conversion. Figure out how many grams are in a ton, cm in a mile, etc
* KeepingYouAwake or Caffeinate - prevent computer from going to sleep
* Google Authenticator - this isn't very secure but it saves me a ton of time. Keep your gAuth keys in a local file and get your 2FA tokens in half a second without pulling your phone out of your pocket
* Lock Screen - I made a very simple workflow to hit a single key to lock my screen when I'm walking away from my desk (I don't like hot corners but you could do the same thing that way without Alfred)
* SpeedTest - run a quick speed/bandwidth test and send output to Notifications
* Timezones - quickly find the local time in Djibouti or wherever
* ft/tf - select a folder in Finder and run "ft" to open a terminal and go to that folder; "tf" does opposite and opens current terminal path in Finder
* Alfred Emoji - slack-style emojis in any app (basically a big set of snippets). Type :fire: :lol: :wrench: or whatever to auto insert emojis in email/browser/etc. The MacOS Emoji keyboard is a pain in the rear end

Honestly, there's nothing Alfred can do that you can't do with another app or a few extra clicks but once you commit to keeping your hands on the keyboard and getting in the habit of using Alfred as much as possible, you'll end up saving tens of minutes per day and it really adds up.

decypher posted:

I've got a file in the trash can that won't delete. It says "The operation can't be completed because the item "Photos Library.photoslibrary" is in use.

This particular file was deleted from an exFAT external drive. I've tried going into the command line to rm -R but to no avail, it returns that the 'Directory not empty." Which is cute because I was under the impression that's what the -R flag did.

I've tried using the inum method which entails finding the inum for the folder/file and trying to delete using that. Didn't work, spit back the same error message rm did intially: Directory not empty.

Lastly, I booted into Windows 7 to see if it was any easier in Windows. Nope. How do I empty this Trash?

edit:

Hi! Just wanted to add that searching lsof for the file in question produces zero hits.

rm -R (or -r) is recursive delete to get subdirectories, -f is "force" which is what you probably want, just be careful with it since you can gently caress poo poo up real bad if you accidently rm -f important OS files. Try "rm -f Photos\ Library.photoslibrary" (or if that's actually a directory that contains subdirectories, "rm -rf Photos\ Library.photoslibrary") and see if it works?

Lawen fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 8, 2017

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

decypher posted:

I really want to use iCloud Photo Library, for some stupid reason, but it's been frustrating with my setup.

I keep my photo library file and all accompanying pictures on an external drive, a situation which doesn't seem all that rare to me. Go to click the iCloud Photo Library button: Oh, the photo library needs to be on a drive formatted with the traditional macOS filesystem? Ok, I'll move my 34GB photo library file(WTF?!) to my SSD which only has 100GB free, no problem. I'll sacrifice some things and move some other data to an external drive, no problem.

I moved the library file to my SSD. Click the on button to iCloud Photo Library. It then informs me iCloud Photo Library will only upload "consolidated" files, not "referenced" files and that 40,000 of my pictures will not be uploaded to iCloud Photo Library because they're not copied to my iCloud Photo Library. Well, gently caress, pictures/videos collection is just under 500GB, so there's absolutely no way they will fit on my SSD.

What am I supposed to do? Is my only course of action biting the bullet and letting Photos copy and manage my photos?

You can upload the photos using the iCloud web app, although 500gb might not be fun to upload that way.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

flosofl posted:

If you want to find a phrase IN a file, just use the keyword "in <string>" and it will offer up a list of files that contain <string>. I think the ordering is last touched.

Lawen posted:

It's been a long time since I've used Alfred without the power pack and looking at the site, it seems that Alfred without power pack isn't really that much better than spotlight. Stuff to do with vanilla Alfred:
Cheers guys - some of this does sound quite handy (though a lot of these things are now in Spotlight anyway, it definitely feels like one of those products Apple will just duplicate and then forget about). I will give it another go for sure.

Without much ado posted:

With Spotlight, you can hold Command when you're highlighting the file of interest, and this will show you the file path. You can then keep holding Command and hit Return, and this will open Finder and put the focus on the file you were searching for.
God loving drat Apple with these mystery key combos. This is good to know, thanks

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TACD posted:

Cheers guys - some of this does sound quite handy (though a lot of these things are now in Spotlight anyway, it definitely feels like one of those products Apple will just duplicate and then forget about).

Things like Alfred have been around longer than Spotlight, and Apple hasn’t copied them yet.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

TACD posted:

Cheers guys - some of this does sound quite handy (though a lot of these things are now in Spotlight anyway, it definitely feels like one of those products Apple will just duplicate and then forget about). I will give it another go for sure.
God loving drat Apple with these mystery key combos. This is good to know, thanks

I learned quick that if you can't see a way to do something where you think it should be, hold Command and/or Option

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I would totally be on board with Apple ripping off Alfred's clipboard manager, because then they'd probably put one on iOS as well. Now that I'm used to it I don't want to use computery things without a clipboard manager.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Reminder that iOS didn’t have a clipboard at launch.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I like that Alfred's faster; I mostly use it as an app launcher, so its DB being just /Applications (and /Applications/Utilities) works a lot better than spotlight's searching everything and also the internet.

I don't need the wikipedia page on "activity" or every email I've ever gotten with "activity" in it, I just want activity monitor.

decypher posted:

edit:

cd ~/.Trash

rm -rf *

maybe 'pwd' in between to be extra certain you're in .Trash
Also, ensure you aren't using your trashcan as a storage box or whatever, because that'll nuke whatever's in there.

If that still doesn't work, sometimes you end up with .Trash directories in external volumes, so plug in the disk and check if it has a .Trash at the top? I don't remember if OSX still does that or not, though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zenostein posted:

cd ~/.Trash

rm -rf *

maybe 'pwd' in between to be extra certain you're in .Trash

I’d do

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash /Volumes/*/.Trashes

Takes care of trash folders even on secondary disks and it operates on the trashes directory explicitly so there’s no risk of running it in the wrong directory.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Platystemon posted:

I’d do

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash /Volumes/*/.Trashes

Takes care of trash folders even on secondary disks and it operates on the trashes directory explicitly so there’s no risk of running it in the wrong directory.

Good point, you can just delete .trash without breaking anything.

Also thanks, I'd initially wrote ~/.Trashes, then when I went to double check I saw it was just .Trash. I was kinda wondering where I'd gotten .trashes from, and that explains it.

I guess because of -f it won't throw an error for say, a bootcamp volume? (Or if there aren't any connected drives)

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

quote:

/.Trashes/501/Photos Library/Photos Library.photoslibrary/resources/modelresources/54/121/6yrL+h89R4G2amwrepZr8g: Input/output error

I never noticed this error until now. Maybe a bad block on the partition? I'll look into that unless there's another idea.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Zenostein posted:

Good point, you can just delete .trash without breaking anything.

Also thanks, I'd initially wrote ~/.Trashes, then when I went to double check I saw it was just .Trash. I was kinda wondering where I'd gotten .trashes from, and that explains it.

I guess because of -f it won't throw an error for say, a bootcamp volume? (Or if there aren't any connected drives)

By default rm will ask whether you really want to delete things you don't have write permission for. The -f switch tells it in advance that your answer will always be "yes, I do want to delete that". Use -f when you're absolutely sure, there's a lot of readonly files, and you don't want to have to punch Y followed by return a billion times.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Cool and pretty screensavers - know any? Or a good site to find some?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

jackpot posted:

I use Padbury Clock

Aerial is super popular at my office

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

jackpot posted:

Personal favourites:

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

TACD posted:

Personal favourites:

Read sheep, was dissapointed when it wasn't these guys:

Do these exist for Mac somewhere?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Selklubber posted:

Read sheep, was dissapointed when it wasn't these guys:

Do these exist for Mac somewhere?

I miss cool poo poo like that

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I wonder if you can still get flying toaster somewhere.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yep.

After Dark: Flying Toasters

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This guy redid the After Dark pack in CSS, it's pretty neat. I use toasters for my homepage.

Rimjob Rodeo fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 10, 2017

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The lock screen hotkey is ctrl+shift+eject/power. HTH.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

tuyop posted:

The lock screen hotkey is ctrl+shift+eject/power. HTH.
I find a hot corner really useful here too

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm doing a complete reinstall from scratch for my 2011 Macbook Pro, too many weird little glitches are happening, some apps are nonresponsive or acting weird, etc. I've got my important documents backed up via dropbox, photos are synced via iCloud, everything that iCloud can back up is checked in the Control Panel, and I've got a Time Machine backup of the full drive. I've never had to do this with OSX but it feels like it's time.

My questions: Is there anything else I'd need to double check before the flatten+reinstall process, can I pull individual files/directories from Time Machine (i.e just my photos, documents), and if things totally get screwed up, can I do a full rollback from my Time Machine backup?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm doing a complete reinstall from scratch for my 2011 Macbook Pro, too many weird little glitches are happening, some apps are nonresponsive or acting weird, etc. I've got my important documents backed up via dropbox, photos are synced via iCloud, everything that iCloud can back up is checked in the Control Panel, and I've got a Time Machine backup of the full drive. I've never had to do this with OSX but it feels like it's time.

My questions: Is there anything else I'd need to double check before the flatten+reinstall process, can I pull individual files/directories from Time Machine (i.e just my photos, documents), and if things totally get screwed up, can I do a full rollback from my Time Machine backup?

You can browse your Time Machine using Finder. The directory should be Backups.backupsdb on the root of the drive. Restoring from a time machine backup is one of the options you're given when reinstalling OS X, so a full rollback is possible as well.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

TACD posted:

Personal favourites:
These are great, but just watch out that some on that page aren't compatible with newer versions of OSX, and trying to run them will crash the absolute poo poo out of a machine. I know I'm a dummy, but if the preview pane says it's incompatible, don't preview it "just to be sure."

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

skull mask mcgee posted:

You can browse your Time Machine using Finder. The directory should be Backups.backupsdb on the root of the drive. Restoring from a time machine backup is one of the options you're given when reinstalling OS X, so a full rollback is possible as well.

Thank you. Pulled the trigger, took a while to do a reinstall from USB. I used migration assistant (because it prompted me to do so) to move just my "documents & data" which will take ~ 8 hours so, it's a waiting game at this point.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
Does anyone here use a Pomodoro app that they like? I'm looking to try it out at work.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I just use https://tomato-timer.com/ , good luck being more productive friend!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mike Danger posted:

Does anyone here use a Pomodoro app that they like? I'm looking to try it out at work.

30/30 is the app you're looking for.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Mike Danger posted:

i like Be Focused it's freemium on the app store

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

I find a hot corner really useful here too
I have BetterTouchTool set to interpret a five-finger swipe down as sleep display/lock. It's super convenient and really something that macOS should have by default.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I just had to wipe my MacBook and backed everything up bar Word 2011 because my university offers the 2016 Office package for free. I have now realised that my referencing package plugin (Refworks Cite N Write) doesn't work with Word 2016. Anyone have any hot picks? I would drop the money on Endnote but I only have one semester left.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have BetterTouchTool set to interpret a five-finger swipe down as sleep display/lock. It's super convenient and really something that macOS should have by default.

That seems a bit of a niche to cater for when most people only have 4 fingers per hand.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Dugong posted:

I just had to wipe my MacBook and backed everything up bar Word 2011 because my university offers the 2016 Office package for free. I have now realised that my referencing package plugin (Refworks Cite N Write) doesn't work with Word 2016. Anyone have any hot picks? I would drop the money on Endnote but I only have one semester left.

Zotero?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Dugong posted:

I like Mendeley.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Dugong posted:

I would drop the money on Endnote but I only have one semester left.

You can't pony up for an upgrade to X8 or whatever? Think it's $108 for students..

Meanwhile, upgrading a 2013 rMBP 15-inch to a new 2016 15-inch rMBP.. using the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, Apple's own Thunderbolt cable and Migration Assistant- what the heck, they're both SSD based and throughput as measured by MA maxes at 85 MB/sec?! Seems pretty low for what ought to be a throughput at least 2-3X higher..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Are you sure it's even transferring over thunderbolt? I posted a few weeks back about a 2016 -> 2016 migration a friend and I did and how Sierra's MA refuses to copy over TB. It kept silently defaulting to wifi. None of the geniuses at the store could get it to do anything else and none of our ideas worked either. Instead of a 30-minute migration, it took most of the day. As I said at the time, it just works!