Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

ImpAtom posted:

K:
A much weaker story and general design than W, one of the absolute bottom-tier originals. Basically the only thing it does well is revamp Cagalli's story from SEED Destiny into her being competent and effective.

L:
Feels half-baked, doesn't do very much fun or creative. Better than W but honestly genuinely forgettable.

Wasn't it L that revamped Cagalli's story and K played SEED Destiny mostly straight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Brunom1 posted:

Wasn't it L that revamped Cagalli's story and K played SEED Destiny mostly straight?

I think K was called SRW Kagari but that's all I remember.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brunom1 posted:

K was the one that was all about Cagalli, up to and including her redeeming Yuna and making GBS threads on everyone's favorite lovely original. It played Shinn's part of the plot more straight compared to Z instead.

L played SEED mostly straight except Dearka of all people has a talk with Shinn and Shinn and Kira end up resolving issues like reasonable people instead of not.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Also K had the whole plagiarism mess which probably doesn't help it's standing.

(The final boss of K's theme is straight up Magus' theme from Chrono Trigger and other one of the map themes ripped off Lufia II)

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I think I'll make W the first SRW I play through having actually seen all the related anime. I'm only missing Detonator Something, Tekkaman Blade and the older stuff (Getter, Mazinkaizer, Goleon). Oh and GaoGaiGar. And Astray.

Well yeah still a few but compared to the other SRW games I've seen a much higher percentage of Ws series.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Tekkaman Blade, MazinKaizer, and GGG are all great.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

RoyalScion posted:

Anybody heard/seen if they are planning a premium sound version of SRW V in English?

Apparently there was a collector's version of English SRW OG MD that didn't show up on play-asia until almost release and I preordered way in advance.

Yeah the collector's edition for OGMD turned up around 2 weeks before release or something silly. V is up for preorder on the Singapore PSN, which MD wasn't and doesn't have the special edition as an option so I don't think it's getting it.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Getsuya posted:

I think I'll make W the first SRW I play through having actually seen all the related anime. I'm only missing Detonator Something, Tekkaman Blade and the older stuff (Getter, Mazinkaizer, Goleon). Oh and GaoGaiGar. And Astray.

Well yeah still a few but compared to the other SRW games I've seen a much higher percentage of Ws series.

I watched Tekkaman Blade a month or two ago and after I finished it I couldn't shut up about it for like two weeks straight. It was great.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

L played SEED mostly straight except Dearka of all people has a talk with Shinn and Shinn and Kira end up resolving issues like reasonable people instead of not.
L also lets the Minerva crew know about why the Archangel acts the way it does, such as Waltfeld revealing the whole "Super Coordinator" bit about Kira and explaining the attempted assassination of Lacus. It also had everyone in the SEED Destiny cast (except Rey) rejecting the Destiny Plan outright instead of going along with it.

Dr Pepper posted:

Also K had the whole plagiarism mess which probably doesn't help it's standing.

(The final boss of K's theme is straight up Magus' theme from Chrono Trigger and other one of the map themes ripped off Lufia II)
And a reused map theme from W that's also in K is "Orc 02" from Warcraft 2.

Oddly enough, Banpresto's apology for Kennosuke Suemura's plagiarism only addressed the Lufia and Chrono Trigger music. You'd think with how big WoW was at the time that Blizzard would have piped up and said something, but they didn't.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Blizzard's lawyers probably didn't hear that a fairly obscure game that was only released in Japan plagiarized one of their songs.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
Here's the Lufia one. Original for reference.

And here's the Magus one. Which is actually the final map theme, not the final boss theme. Original for reference again.

And finally, SRW W. Original yet again.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/Anawnnemus/status/829549108692127746

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I always thought it funny that K is the one that gets all the poo poo for plagiarizing music, when it was much more blatant in Neo since they used Red Fraction as one of the protagonists themes, rather than just map themes.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
People would need to have played NEO to realize that, though! :v:

You're absolutely right in that it's a shameless ripoff, though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

I always thought it funny that K is the one that gets all the poo poo for plagiarizing music, when it was much more blatant in Neo since they used Red Fraction as one of the protagonists themes, rather than just map themes.
I think the difference is that with Sword of Justice's case, the ripoff is not immediately recognizable and Black Lagoon ain't exactly a popular manga/anime series to raise concern.

Whereas K plagiarized music from two very well known JRPGs that a lot of people remember fondly and are also tracks that stand out, especially in the case of "The One Who Will Save The Earth" (or whatever it's called this week, I've seen like 5 different names for this track, good lord) as that track plays multiple times in K.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Did they actually get in trouble or was it just internet mad?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rascyc posted:

banpresto and bamco had to issue a public apology and they had to settle out of court with square enix

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Rascyc posted:

This was in the description of the (SRW "remix") videos that Grashbar linked:

On 19th August 2009, Namco Bandai issued an official apology to Square Enix and Taito. The reason for this was the fact that their game title "Super Robot Taisen K" (also known as "Super Robot Wars K") included two songs which were almost identical to the songs "Battle With Magus" from Chrono Trigger and "The One Who Will Save The Earth" from Lufia II, thus commiting plagiarism. Namco Bandai pledged to resolve the issue behind the curtains and reach a settlement with both companies, while promising to not allow anything like that to happen again.

However, in this apology, Namco Bandai failed to mention that they plagiarised another song. This one is almost identical to "Orc 2" from WarCraft II: Tides of Darkness and is used as a battlefield theme in both "Super Robot Taisen" K and W. It is unknown whether Blizzard Entertainment was ever aware of this, nor if they ever held talks with Namco Bandai over the matter.

No idea what the source for any of that is, but it sounds about right.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man that's embarrassing. Guess whoever did that is blacklisted.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rascyc posted:

Man that's embarrassing. Guess whoever did that is blacklisted.
From what I've heard, Kennosuke Suemura has not produced anything since 2009. So yes, it is pretty much safe to assume he's been blacklisted.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just watched a few episodes of Yamato 2199 and Mightgain since they're on Amazon prime in Japan. No sign of Cross Ange though. Yamato is really hard boiled and Mightgain is really silly. They should be perfect together.

I'm getting into pre SRW happy mode now.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've also been watching Yamamoto 2199 and have been really enjoying it. It's kind of what I thought the new Star Trek movies would be more like, having not seen the original ones...or the original Yamato, for that matter.

I also watched the first episode of Cross Ange and that's all I'm going to say about that.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 11, 2017

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Raxivace posted:

I also watched the first episode of Cross Ange and that's all I'm going to say about that.

That's more or less all you can say about that.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Okay, does anyone know what this says? http://srw-v.suparobo.jp/story/

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Inferno-sama posted:

Most of it is the same as the opening of Yamato 2199.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Isn't there something in there about the Yamato 2199 plot being set a century after Char's Rebellion?

I wonder how that's supposed to work out.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Raxivace posted:

Isn't there something in there about the Yamato 2199 plot being set a century after Char's Rebellion?

Yeah, and I wonder what the blank of ten years is. Is it from one of the animes?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Raxivace posted:

I'm not sure if it is going to be an Alpha Gaiden or R type thing where they spend most of the time in the future and then go back in time and stop the bad future from happening or the early UC guys end up in some sort of stasis for 100 years. Looking at the series list none of them really stand out to me as having a time travel element though that hasn't stopped them from using that plot before. I guess they could use the end of Eva 2.0 as the explanation.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Remember Nadescio is on the series list. Wouldn't be the first time they've used Boson Jump Time Travel.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, and I wonder what the blank of ten years is. Is it from one of the animes?

I think the only one with an internal timeskip is the Eva movies, but there's a decent number of sequels in there. Getter, Nadeisco, and the non-UC Gundam.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Inferno-sama posted:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Most of it is the same as the opening of Yamato 2199.

Okay, but I'm translating the whole thing in case it's interesting to somebody.

For the first time in history, all humanity is united under the Earth Federation. With its establishment, civilization began to expand into space.

But that was only the beginning of a new era of war. The One Year War between Earthnoids and Spacenoids gave way to Char's Counterattack, and then a period known as the Ten Year Blank.

After 100 years and the end of the Jovian Invasion, the invasion of the extraterrestrial intelligence known as Gamilas began in earnest. Earth's forces fought valiantly, but where overwhelmed. The Gamilas built a base on Pluto, equipped to launch asteroid bombs that devastated all the space colonies and the government on Earth. The seas boiled, the atmosphere was polluted, and most life on Earth was lost.

The remnants of humanity live on hiding in underground shelters, but scientists now say that there is only one year to the extinction of humanity.

Still, there are those who would fight against fate.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dr Pepper posted:

Remember Nadescio is on the series list. Wouldn't be the first time they've used Boson Jump Time Travel.

Didn't srw w do silly things like make the prince of darkness time skip likee only 6 months?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

Okay, but I'm translating the whole thing in case it's interesting to somebody.

For the first time in history, all humanity is united under the Earth Federation. With its establishment, civilization began to expand into space.

But that was only the beginning of a new era of war. The One Year War between Earthnoids and Spacenoids gave way to Char's Counterattack, and then a period known as the Ten Year Blank.

After 100 years and the end of the Jovian Invasion, the invasion of the extraterrestrial intelligence known as Gamilas began in earnest. Earth's forces fought valiantly, but where overwhelmed. The Gamilas built a base on Pluto, equipped to launch asteroid bombs that devastated all the space colonies and the government on Earth. The seas boiled, the atmosphere was polluted, and most life on Earth was lost.

The remnants of humanity live on hiding in underground shelters, but scientists now say that there is only one year to the extinction of humanity.

Still, there are those who would fight against fate.

I'm guessing that we teleport back to the Ten Year Blank which is full of all kinds of bullshit.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wish I understood more about the special soundtrack edition. Is just part of the game, or one of those lovely soundtrack apps that have appeared on the PS4 recently, or something else?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

They actually do explain it but it basically amounts to "the Gundam Fight was called on account of war." Dearka IIRC talks about it at one point.
This is from a little while back but I just got to this part in J. It's actually Inez of all characters that explains the Gundam Fight, though Dearka is there for the conversation and is all "Where do you Naturals get these ideas? :psyduck:", which is pretty funny.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Also going through Yamato 2199 and love it. A buddy of mine mentioned it's getting a sequel series soon too, so I'll have to check that out.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

ImpAtom posted:

I'm guessing that we teleport back to the Ten Year Blank which is full of all kinds of bullshit.

Isn't that the Nadesico game that was supposed to have explained everything about Prince of Darkness?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Mister Olympus posted:

Isn't that the Nadesico game that was supposed to have explained everything about Prince of Darkness?

Oh please let it be that. Please use that so we can get some idea as to why PoD is a PoS.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think a better version of PoD would have been able to make fun of the Edgelord of Darkness himself while also maybe giving him a cool moment or two. You know, like Akito in the original show had to begin with. Perhaps with Ruri too to lesser extent.

It's not like the show didn't occasionally dip into bleak material either, I just don't think this particular franchise can maintain that for an extended period of time- even if that length of time is a feature film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah the TV series had some really bleak moments in the early eps for being a show that starts with a man having a bra land on his head.

• Locked thread