Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
This game was not even on my radar until a friend started hyping it to me on Friday. So I installed it, next thing I knew 4 hours had passed. I didn't think it was worth $60, and there were some matchmaking issues. I was also worried on how they were going to handle gear and microtransactions. I am not sure how long the game will last and if it will hold its population, hard games like this can really turn people off. The matchmaking and tutorials really need to be spot on, being able to play vs AI in all the modes helps a lot. Next day I played it almost all day and when 2am rolled around I realized that I really like it and was hooked. Picked it up for the 48 and hope the extra content that is supposed to be in release will make it worthwhile.

The learning curve is steep, but the game does a good job of making you realize that its your skill that is lacking vs just bad mechanics.

I spread out my gameplay with a few heroes, but ended up spending most of my time on Orochi. I wanted to play Warlard but I just did no damage, now sure what I was doing wrong but man it was hard for it to click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Loved the beta, but I'm worried for the game's long term staying power. Hopefully it will do a good job matching players of similar skill levels once they do the full release. That will make or break it long term IMHO.

I pre-ordered because I'm a sucker for any game that lets you stomp people as a viking.

I do worry that the people going "this game won't have enough people, might as well not buy" might create a self fulfilling prophecy but it's probably stupid to take forum comments as representative of the population at large, generally speaking.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

I do worry that the people going "this game won't have enough people, might as well not buy" might create a self fulfilling prophecy but it's probably stupid to take forum comments as representative of the population at large, generally speaking.

Yeah, I'm not sure where all that is coming from at all. There will be more than enough people to support the game across all platforms. People are making it up to be like this is some big life-decision and the game needs to last them the next 5 years to be worthy of a purchase. If you think you'll put in some good time in the next year, then go for it. The game will definitely last at least that long, assuming they keep to their update schedule. After that, yeah, it might end up being just die-hard players, and that's okay! This is a pretty normal thing in video game land.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Orochi needs Scabbard!!!

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

:beerpal:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

good thing all those scathing steam reviews are going in the toilet in 2 days anyway because the actual game is a separate item from the beta

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Haroshia posted:

This game plays nothing like chivalry.

Yeah its severely lacking in rabid screaming, the core of Chivalry gameplay.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Indecisive posted:

good thing all those scathing steam reviews are going in the toilet in 2 days anyway because the actual game is a separate item from the beta

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Indecisive posted:

I feel like there's a lot of hype on twitch. I'm guessing this will be like the old Modern Warfare 2 boycott.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh my god, i knew i was missing something, how could they even consider launching this game without a dedicated screaming button :negative:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Just press H (ok it's probably not H since I rebind half my controls but you can press it and scream cmon do it)

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Internet Kraken posted:

I played a 4v4 deathmatch where like 4 players on either team were the Raider so all match you just hear him doing the shout for his unblockable over and over across the whole map it was pretty great. Dominion has a bunch of ambient explosions but 4v4 deathmatch is pretty quiet.

Speaking of the voices: Do knights speak in latin? Vikings speak russian?

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 13, 2017

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/dNKyOgC.gifv

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Captain Beans posted:

I played a 4v4 deathmatch where like 4 players on either team were the Raider so all match you just hear him doing the shout for his unblockable over and over across the whole map it was pretty great. Dominion has a bunch of ambient explosions but 4v4 deathmatch is pretty quiet.

If you think 4 raiders shouting their unblockable in a map is amazing, just you wait until you get 4 Lawbringers.

Spin2Win

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

:captainpop:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

:stare:

Uh that's a pretty good trick.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

:catstare:

*takes notes

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Gimbal lock posted:

If you think 4 raiders shouting their unblockable in a map is amazing

Speaking of, does anyone know what he actually says? I read somewhere the Vikings in this speak real Icelandic, dunno if that's true or not but if so I'd be curious as to what they're saying.

*edit* Found it on reddit, "Ég ríf ykkur í bita" - I'll rip you apart :black101:

GuardianOfAsgaard fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 13, 2017

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

This is why revenge mode is a bad idea in the duel gametype

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

the "wtf" that pops up in the corner really does it for me here

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

This is why revenge mode is a good idea in the duel gametype

fixed

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
So.....does the screaming and yelling stack when you do that or it just overwrites?

This is IMPORTANT!

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Revenge mode in duel is basically the diamond in Puzzle Fighter. If you somehow get to it and you don't kill the other player with it, he's sure to follow very shortly.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I'm feeling pretty good about the state of the game really. Their free gameplay DLC stuff is really encouraging, the small sizes of the matches 4v4 means getting a full match will help with just about any population size. And if they follow through with Matchmaking and Ranked sooner rather than a year from now it'll be friendly enough for newcomers along the way.

Echoing the need for a finely tweakable bot training mode and maybe a little bit more ownership of the factions. I know it's probably because of balance reasons that there's no linkage between the classes and your faction because it would be skewed by FOTM but they just should have come up with generic factions like The Bad Dudes vs The Freak Punchers or something. Just seems dumb that I pick up my shield and flair to fight for my Samurai faction.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ape Agitator posted:

Echoing the need for a finely tweakable bot training mode and maybe a little bit more ownership of the factions. I know it's probably because of balance reasons that there's no linkage between the classes and your faction because it would be skewed by FOTM but they just should have come up with generic factions like The Bad Dudes vs The Freak Punchers or something. Just seems dumb that I pick up my shield and flair to fight for my Samurai faction.

Yeah the number one thing I'd like to see happen for this game is some kind expansion of the Faction War. Anything to let you get involved with it really, it's just so bland and pointless and right now.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
So is the Beta over? Can't connect to the server. Finally got a chance to sit down and try it and it's down...

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

AwwJeah posted:

So is the Beta over? Can't connect to the server. Finally got a chance to sit down and try it and it's down...

Finished yesterday yes, game's out tomorrow though so not long to wait.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

AwwJeah posted:

Not quite, there will be a second beta available on the 14th but it's only open to people who bought the game

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Buschmaki posted:

This is why revenge mode is a bad idea in the duel gametype

How is it even possible to generate enough meter in a 1v1 to get revenge?

I've purposely tried to do it and never even got close even in testing custom match 1v1 with a friend.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

OctaMurk posted:

Not quite, there will be a second beta available on the 14th but it's only open to people who bought the game

:golfclap:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

OctaMurk posted:

lol

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Captain Beans posted:

I've purposely tried to do it and never even got close even in testing custom match 1v1 with a friend.

Yes but it's not very common. I've only had it happen with bulky characters, Warden vs Conqueror or whatever combination of hp fatties. It doesn't happen with brittle bleedies.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Captain Beans posted:

Gotten it twice

first time no loving idea honestly. Second time foe got it by me botching a death from above attack so I am assuming surviving the fall to the 2nd level gives a decent bonus to revenge.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

countering a guardbreak is timed AFTER you're struck, counterintuitively!

woooooow. well ain't that bitch. Oh well i'll roll with it I guess.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

Knights speak Latin. The only one I actually understand is PERI! which is the imperative form of DIE! Root of perish.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I've gotten it once at least, vs an orochi as warden. I think he just ran away and I him once or twice before it ran out of steam.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Knights won the faction thing btw, so you picked knight grats, you get a sick border emblem thing:

panda clue
May 23, 2014
https://gfycat.com/GloomyGreatFritillarybutterfly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

panda clue posted:

Knights won the faction thing btw, so you picked knight grats, you get a sick border emblem thing:

Honestly, the best border would just be a simple smooth rim of gold or silver. Fancy crap like that looks terrible when it gets applied to cloth or other rough materials.