Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

the tutorial is effectively the Raft prologue mission, plus various tutorial popups that will occur when you do things for the first time

so just hop into the Prologue on Torch and follow through the story to level up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

Have you tried Ultron with twilight fragment instead of saw? Only reason I suggest it is because of him having a low ratio of autocrit stuff, along with that strong autobrut crashdown that saw doesn't do anything for either.

twifrag will push that crashdown much higher, be a great dps boost for regular powers, and probably only a bit behind saw for the crit laser since you aren't using nullifier.
Ok, I just tried Fragment of Twilight in Slot 1 and Essence of Jinn in Slot 5 and holy poo poo. Jesus god. once again raid uniques OP. Updating my previous Ultron now.

Hauki posted:

I just got ultron from the random hero over christmas/new years or whatever, what's your insignia/medallion? I also don't recognize the left two artifacts off-hand, dunno if I have them.
Just using Madame Hydra for now because I don't have any better ideas, but I'm sure there's something out there. Maybe a Red Skull Medallion? Even though all you're really getting off of it is the Durability proc + the BDR which isn't as useful in light of the above.

Chernobyl Peace Prize fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 12, 2017

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

the tutorial is effectively the Raft prologue mission, plus various tutorial popups that will occur when you do things for the first time

so just hop into the Prologue on Torch and follow through the story to level up
Isn't technically the Times Square level the most tutorial-y tutorial in the game now? Of course you can't even access it unless you're on a brand new account for some nebulous reason, so… :shobon:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ghostlight posted:

^^^That's Siege's Targeting System (story reward boxes or ARMOR currency) and The Book of Demonicus (Dr Strange Event)

T is the default button to display the hero list.

Thanks. Ended up switching randomly to Deadpool. I don't know dick all about Marvel and I haven't seen the movie, I wasn't aware this guy didn't acknowledge the fourth wall. I'm easily amused by lines like "Hey, I played you in Marvel vs Capcom! ... you sucked!" :v:

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

MMAgCh posted:

Isn't technically the Times Square level the most tutorial-y tutorial in the game now? Of course you can't even access it unless you're on a brand new account for some nebulous reason, so… :shobon:

wasn't even aware that still existed

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/312899/animation-improvements-reponsiveness-animation-cancelling-coming-soon

Looks like they reviewed every power in the game and are adding more aggressive animation canceling when one power is queued into the next. Could potentially be a pretty significant improvement in gamefeel, particularly for some of the clunkier feeling characters in the game.

It's not exactly content but I'll be happy to see it.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

wasn't even aware that still existed

Yeah my friend made a fresh account recently and played through it.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks. Ended up switching randomly to Deadpool. I don't know dick all about Marvel and I haven't seen the movie, I wasn't aware this guy didn't acknowledge the fourth wall. I'm easily amused by lines like "Hey, I played you in Marvel vs Capcom! ... you sucked!" :v:
You might also enjoy (to a lesser degree) Green Goblin and She-Hulk!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm hoping Magneto's Compressed Shrapnel can benefit from this because it's a really lengthy animation that regularly gets me hit by not smoothly cancelling into a dash.

Also I hope they've gone through and fixed every single one of Colossus' animations so that he isn't striking half a second before dealing damage.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
But half the cast that has some variation of Maximum Spider won't get stuck in it forever now

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Are there any casts longer than Yancy Street summon? That one is forever.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Well since Human Torch is my unlocked guy and I don't have enough whatevers for someone else, guess I'll play him.

Now comes my usual question for things like this, what's the 'right' way to play him (and other characters for that matter) I'm only level 13 but I've got like a half dozen powers that are variations on 'burn fuckers at range' and I don't really know what to use. (I mean, yes, everything works while leveling, sure, I know)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 13, 2017

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Ciaphas posted:

Well since Human Torch is my unlocked guy and I don't have enough whatevers for someone else, guess I'll play him.

Now comes my usual question for things like this, what's the 'right' way to play him (and other characters for that matter) I'm only level 13 but I've got like a half dozen powers that are variations on 'burn fuckers at range' and I don't really know what to use. (I mean, yes, everything works while leveling, sure, I know)

The right way to play any level 13 character is to just use whatever powers you think look good and not worry about any of this until at least 30, when you have access to them all. Even then, depending on the character you might not actually have the powers you'll want to use in the long run if they're variants unlocked by talents. Even among characters who have their entire set of useful skills at 30, sometimes talents change their usability so much that they may as well not have them earlier. It's honestly not worth doing much more than poking around and seeing what you personally like until 56.

Also, you should actually have eternity splinters for another hero as of your day two login bonus, so if you don't it's possible you're in the weird state where your account is too old for the current bonuses but not played enough to actually have them, so it may be worth making a new one.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The correct way to play Human Torch is to burn fuckers at range.

I've never really gotten into him, but find one of the powers that gets a damage bonus based on how many damage over time effects enemies have and take powers that do those as well. Personally I just like how visually satisfying his homing fireballs are.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Eternity splinters are what you need to unlock heroes for free, you can see how many you have under the currency tab.

They have redone how the give out splinters to new players now, so you have to look at your login in rewards by hitting V, and see what you get when. You should have enough for at least a couple random hero boxes by the end of the first week (175 splinters) or if you really like a particular character you could unlock that specific one. But, like AzrealNewtype said, your account might have got in some kind of weird limbo if it was older when the transitioned to their new method. Only way to make a new account would be with a new e-mail.

Human Torch actually came out good after the overhaul, probably one of the heroes that benefited from it the most.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

AzraelNewtype posted:

The right way to play any level 13 character is to just use whatever powers you think look good and not worry about any of this until at least 30, when you have access to them all. Even then, depending on the character you might not actually have the powers you'll want to use in the long run if they're variants unlocked by talents. Even among characters who have their entire set of useful skills at 30, sometimes talents change their usability so much that they may as well not have them earlier. It's honestly not worth doing much more than poking around and seeing what you personally like until 56.

Also, you should actually have eternity splinters for another hero as of your day two login bonus, so if you don't it's possible you're in the weird state where your account is too old for the current bonuses but not played enough to actually have them, so it may be worth making a new one.

Fair enough! It's a compulsion of mine to check on that sort of thing. I'll just roll with it until I'm closer to cap/have picked out a character.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

This sounds suspiciously like Nephilim Valor from vanilla Diablo III.

That was not a good game mechanic. Not. At. All.

Jesus gently caress I had compartmentalized that abomination out of my mind yet here we are

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
why is colossus's spinning attack called steel cyclone and not Permanent Revolution

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Jesus gently caress I had compartmentalized that abomination out of my mind yet here we are

Did they replace NV with something or just completely drop it and let people go back to just doing boss runs ignoring all the mobs along the way?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

PaybackJack posted:

Did they replace NV with something or just completely drop it and let people go back to just doing boss runs ignoring all the mobs along the way?
The best way to get loot is Greater Rifts, where a bar fills from killing stuff, which then summons the boss. So kinda solves the problem.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Since we have new/returning people who are missing a decent percentage of the cast again, now's a good time to link this: Marvel Heroes Random Hero EV Calculator.

Make a copy of the spreadsheet for your account and set up your yes/nos correctly and it will tell you the expected value of a random box. Empty costs are there for characters that are confirmed, but as long as there is no value it doesn't actually affect the calculations any. If you're on your first character still, random is obviously a safe bet (1:60 chance of a dupe), but as you get more of the heroes it gets harder to eyeball how much of a gamble you'd be taking, given the different values. Obviously, I'm keeping it up to date just for its own sake, as they'll have to add an awful lot of characters (and primarily 600ES ones) for it to get viable for me again.

It just occurred to me though, that if you have the entire cast and nobody at max ultimate, random boxes become valuable again, as they're 25ES cheaper than ultimate upgrade tokens. It's not... a great savings, or idea, but it's something. I might have to update the way it values a yes for people with large percentages of the cast.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
colossus is the LFest character

it's not entirely clear if he's actually a communist or not but he's definitely bad and boring

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AzraelNewtype posted:

Since we have new/returning people who are missing a decent percentage of the cast again, now's a good time to link this: Marvel Heroes Random Hero EV Calculator.

Make a copy of the spreadsheet for your account and set up your yes/nos correctly and it will tell you the expected value of a random box. Empty costs are there for characters that are confirmed, but as long as there is no value it doesn't actually affect the calculations any. If you're on your first character still, random is obviously a safe bet (1:60 chance of a dupe), but as you get more of the heroes it gets harder to eyeball how much of a gamble you'd be taking, given the different values. Obviously, I'm keeping it up to date just for its own sake, as they'll have to add an awful lot of characters (and primarily 600ES ones) for it to get viable for me again.

It just occurred to me though, that if you have the entire cast and nobody at max ultimate, random boxes become valuable again, as they're 25ES cheaper than ultimate upgrade tokens. It's not... a great savings, or idea, but it's something. I might have to update the way it values a yes for people with large percentages of the cast.

EV of Random Box 176.67
Cost of Random Box 175
Buy Random Box? Yes

:|

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

colossus is the LFest character

it's not entirely clear if he's actually a communist or not but he's definitely bad and boring
He also spent a lot of effort on trying to date a 14 year old.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

A lot of debate going on about who is the best hero in here. So I ask.

Who is the worst? Who is the least fun, most tedious, most annoying to look at, worst animation wise?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hawkeye.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

randombattle posted:

Who is the worst? Who is the least fun, most tedious, most annoying to look at, worst animation wise?

Any summoner

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

randombattle posted:

Cable or Hawkeye

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Luke Cage sucks the most of all the characters I've spent a good amount of time with.

The radius for Cage Was Here is so small now that it's jockeying with Steel Cyclone for patheticness, leaving him with basically no good aoe for taking on trash. His talent to make Concrete and Vehicular finishers only provides a full-combo point buff for using Concrete so instead of having two or three Cage Fighting buffs rolling around with Vehicular providing combo points you instead have one or two and no instant-full combo point button. The Heroes summons are deliberately placed so you can't really play him as a 'summoner'. To top it all off, they rolled the clock back like three years so that one of his basics has a longer range than any of your non-ranged finishers will hit at, so if you use his Dropkick or Dempsey Roll you have to be prepared to have them constantly whiff because he's a couple of pixels too far away.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

Any summoner

Summoner's are getting fixed next patch, which sounds like it won't be this week, but next.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

madcow posted:

Summoner's are getting fixed next patch, which sounds like it won't be this week, but next.

It's cute that you still have this much faith in them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

To be fair, they have actually delivered some really good changes recently.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does the push to 10 tend to give a good feel for a character or is it not even close to reality? Wondering how to spend my free unlocks, still. I have 131 fragments and 200 more coming on day 7 (so a week from now) for logging in.

I am amused by Deadpool's quips but he's already 10 and anyway not in the recommended infographic in the OP

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

1-10 is going to be pretty different for every character in terms of "how do they play" and I'm not sure if the new system is really doing it any favors. Honestly, the best advice I can give is play your favorite character from the comics unless it is Taskmaster.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Don't read any comics! Only playing this as an alternative to Path of Exile, to scratch that arpg itch. :v:

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Ciaphas posted:

Does the push to 10 tend to give a good feel for a character or is it not even close to reality? Wondering how to spend my free unlocks, still. I have 131 fragments and 200 more coming on day 7 (so a week from now) for logging in.

I am amused by Deadpool's quips but he's already 10 and anyway not in the recommended infographic in the OP

Deadpool is bad and also costs 600 anyway. Very not recommended as an early unlock.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The infographic is actually quite old at this point, and predates the recent complete rework of every single character. Some characters, like Cyclops or Punisher, or even Captain America, should probably drop off for more interesting characters.

Some characters you can get a good feel for by 10, others you need to wait longer to get a full toolkit really. Deadpool is a pretty 'easy' character (and probably one that should be recommended) since you don't need to worry about resource management, and he can go melee or ranged or a hybrid of both which gives him a good amount of gear choices, as well as giving you access to an 8% damage reduction pure ranged characters won't have.

Unfortunately with the sheer number of characters we have now it's easier to recommend ones by an expected playstyle rather than just as individual heroes. Are you looking for melee/ranged, bruiser/glass cannon, cooldowns/resource based, that sort of thing.

ransome
Dec 27, 2012

Cosmic, Baby!
Another thing you could do if you are wanting to see how different characters play at 60 is look at the videos from our past tournaments!

http://super96.azurewebsites.net/ and http://wild110.azurewebsites.net/

You can click on a name/time and if a video was submitted for that round, it'll pop up!

Although with the movement changes and various character changes the speed/power level might not be the same anymore. But it'll give you an idea how a character might play!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

Unfortunately with the sheer number of characters we have now it's easier to recommend ones by an expected playstyle rather than just as individual heroes. Are you looking for melee/ranged, bruiser/glass cannon, cooldowns/resource based, that sort of thing.
Couldn't say, don't know enough about the sort of challenges this game presents yet. Human Torch's doing okay so far though as far as audio-visual spectacle, which is my fallback criteria :v:

My favorite characters in Path of Exile were the defense through insane berserk offense, though, the kinds that punched way above their weight through life leech and the like.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

AzraelNewtype posted:

all this did was make me more salty that I've landed on the wrong side of a ~70% gamble several times in a row

and all my extras have gone to the chars I literally haven't played since the minute I hit 60