Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

suuma posted:

Right, I get it, console shooters don't have mouse support because some players would then have an advantage, but if everybody has access to it what's the problem?

Mouse and keyboards are not packed into the system and many people have television setups that are not very friendly for mouse/keyboard setups. You'd be expecting people to pay extra money in order to have an advantage and you risk people just deciding it isn't worth it.

A lot of people don't have mice and keyboards lying around, especially in the age when a good portion of people use tablets, phones or laptops instead of traditional desktops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wandle Cax posted:

lol

also for honor has pvp now not coming soon that's the core of the game you doofus

enjoy your 60 dollar proof of concept arena fighter

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Because it's impossible to balance around it when a player can pay a premium and instantly see their aim improve significantly.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Real hurthling! posted:

i just cleared ninja gaiden 3 razors edge. didn't play the older ones. why is the game controversial its seemed good outside of the really annoying "illness that makes your character walk slow and get captured at the end of missions" trope that i loving hate with passion in games

The combat is worse than Ng1 and 2 even in razors edge, but until you play the original ng3 you will never understand why people hate it so much. For example, in the original, those WALK SLOW FOR A BIT sections are five times as long and include slow-walking combat sections; there was no karma system or indeed scoring system of any kind; and many if not most of the combos you can use in razors edge simply were not there at all.

They also cut a bunch of bizarre QTEs where you are forced to murder innocent people for no reason as they beg for mercy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I still think RE isn't as good as Razors Edge, but it's a hell of a lot better than NG3 vanilla is. If you liked it though then definitely play ng2 and 1 if you can. The Xbox/360 versions, if possible

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the original NG3 was trying to pull "Perhaps Ryu... is the REAL MONSTER?!" thing. In a game franchise about fighting ninja titty demons with your magic space katana. It didn't work well.

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

suuma posted:

Right, I get it, console shooters don't have mouse support because some players would then have an advantage, but if everybody has access to it what's the problem?

Get this, some play exclusively on controllers. Even on PC.

Like...

ME!
:can:

(Although, if I had an actual desk I'd use M&K more often.)

El Diablo Bob O fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 13, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhnPJOvjyyg

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

Because for online games it means certain players will have an inherent advantage based on a control scheme

I get that, but wouldn't have keyboard and mouse peripherals for console essentially eliminate that problem? Also, I get why it's too much effort to create, but I wish there were a "friends only" version that allowed you to play cross-platform. I know like a dozen people playing Overwatch on the PC, but it's going to be a solid year before I can get my PC in shape, and I want to play Overwatch with them!!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Bicyclops posted:

I get that, but wouldn't have keyboard and mouse peripherals for console essentially eliminate that problem?

The core of the problem would be the same as it is today: a minority of players are willing to spend more money for an objectively and dramatically superior control scheme, making it harder to balance issues that crop up due to the properties of a controller.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I get that, but wouldn't have keyboard and mouse peripherals for console essentially eliminate that problem? Also, I get why it's too much effort to create, but I wish there were a "friends only" version that allowed you to play cross-platform. I know like a dozen people playing Overwatch on the PC, but it's going to be a solid year before I can get my PC in shape, and I want to play Overwatch with them!!

When you design a game you generally have to balance around the majority. There have been shooters that tried keyboard/mouse or cross-platform and it always ended badly because of the gigantic gulf between the two. Even XIM stuff is such a giant advantage.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

But I just want to play online with my buddies. :(

Oh well.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

cant wait for console makers to give up the ghost and join the pc master race so people like bicyclops dont have to suffer unnecessarily

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Bicyclops posted:

But I just want to play online with my buddies. :(

Oh well.

If only they had a casual cross platform mode where people actually played casually instead of getting really really mad a lot.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!

suuma posted:

ps4 devs have the option to let mkb if they want but no one wants to either split or destroy their player base on a fps bcos they aren't idiots

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bloodychill posted:

instead of getting really really mad a lot.

Haha yeah right, this is an online game you're talking about.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!

babypolis posted:

cant wait for console makers to give up the ghost and join the pc master race so people like bicyclops dont have to suffer unnecessarily

no one want to play on pc because the kind of people who say pc master race all play on pc

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sometimes in the overwatch thread they talk about how their mouse sensitivity is so low that they have to slide their entire arm across like three desks to turn around + it is v strange to me

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Stux posted:

no one want to play on pc because the kind of people who say pc master race all play on pc

your resistance is admirable stux. but ultimately pointless. in time all shall join the master race

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Stux posted:

insert "not all men" argument here

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Help Im Alive posted:

Sometimes in the overwatch thread they talk about how their mouse sensitivity is so low that they have to slide their entire arm across like three desks to turn around + it is v strange to me

I like it so my mouse movement matches what my arm would really have to do. This is my setup, but with wraparound monitors:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

bloodychill posted:

If only they had a casual cross platform mode where people actually played casually instead of getting really really mad a lot.

Lol. Ok. Let's ask the birds to stop chirping while we're at it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Help Im Alive posted:

LMAO if you don't play with a controller based on your main's primary weapon

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bloodychill posted:

Do they? When I did the basic "Can you play with people one PC if you have PS4, it was a bunch of dads saying "Can I play with my son this way?" and getting a "No" answer, so I assumed that didn't exist.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Lol, this owns

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
In For Honors defense/shame, the characters it says are easy are the hardest to play right and are very much not like a fighting game character. Unlike my friend Berserker who is all about combos mixups and dodges in addition to parrys and counters.

That said, the 4v4 game mode is real poorly balanced. If one person is really good it instantly becomes 3v4.
Also weabos suck at action games so the faction war is hilarious.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
The more I chop enemies up in Nioh, the more I wish it included the nunchucks from Ninja Gaiden. Something for Nioh 2, hopefully.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If this is 100% real then this in fact owns

Crinklepouch
May 30, 2016

Its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys.
Who is getting the Switch? I didn't get a preorder but I know a guy who got two and I'm buying one of his.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
We're gonna wait until the holidays for a sweet Switch bundle, neither of us like 3D Zelda games enough to get it immediately. Plus, you know, the literal 50 games in my backlog.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

precision posted:

If this is 100% real then this in fact owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtDnwLqlPvk

Dude also played D.va with dual flight sticks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNZbAcwYqmg

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think I'm going to wait a few weeks and basically avoid the internet before I take the plunge. It'll be the first Zelda game that my wife and I play at the same time and we have to figure that out.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bicyclops posted:

Better the phone dad than Porky's Dad.

So is the rear end in a top hat kid supposed to be named Porky and not Pokey? It didn't occur to me until I was watching my kids play that story mode on the Wii Smash Bros and it was spelled that way there, but it makes sense. Wonder why they didn't bother changing that for the VC version of Earthbound, I guess they figured it wasn't worth the trouble.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

raditts posted:

So is the rear end in a top hat kid supposed to be named Porky and not Pokey? It didn't occur to me until I was watching my kids play that story mode on the Wii Smash Bros and it was spelled that way there, but it makes sense. Wonder why they didn't bother changing that for the VC version of Earthbound, I guess they figured it wasn't worth the trouble.

Yeah, the joke is that he looks like a pig.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
guys help i'm addicted to playing Dragon Quest Bingo in 3DSDQ8

i swear i'll stop as soon as i can afford that baller staff, just 700 tokens to go

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you wait till Baccarat it's way easier to get all the tokens you could ever need.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i got super lucky and i've already won 3400 tokens, enough for the staff and some leftover, which is enough for me

though i really resent the game throwing a huge city at me while i'm drinking, i just want to go in a dungeon and kill poo poo while watching Baskets, not find the twenty god dang seven hidden treasures Yangus told me are in this shithole

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

raditts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJtATiyM2go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i made my main character a barefist fighter in dq8 and now he does like 8 damage to enemies halfway through the skill tree. oops

• Locked thread