Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013
What the gently caress how is Tell me I'm Ok losing to Devil Winds. Like it's an ok Frankie Valli pastiche I guess but Tell me I'm Ok is so much better it's not even funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Sex?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sinistral posted:

What the gently caress how is Tell me I'm Ok losing to Devil Winds. Like it's an ok Frankie Valli pastiche I guess but Tell me I'm Ok is so much better it's not even funny.

:wrong:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sinistral posted:

Tell me I'm ok is really bleh as a song. The whole thing is "isn't mental illness funny?"

I guess a lot of songs are like that in this show, but it sticks out as especially bad, without being a good song to hold it up.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

EVGA Longoria posted:

Tell me I'm ok is really bleh as a song. The whole thing is "isn't mental illness funny?"

I guess a lot of songs are like that in this show, but it sticks out as especially bad, without being a good song to hold it up.

I don't think it's a bad song, but it's really not all that funny. I don't get the love.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

EVGA Longoria posted:

The song, to me, is in the same vein as "You Ruined Everything." Whereas that ballad was an ode to Rebecca's self-hatred, "Tell Me I'm Okay" is an ode to her desire to be acknowledged as a normal person capable of being loved. Both songs have a touch of humor, but they're deeply personal self-reflections where Rebecca actively analyzes her failings in song.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

lotus circle posted:

The song, to me, is in the same vein as "You Ruined Everything." Whereas that ballad was an ode to Rebecca's self-hatred, "Tell Me I'm Okay" is an ode to her desire to be acknowledged as a normal person capable of being loved. Both songs have a touch of humor, but they're deeply personal self-reflections where Rebecca actively analyzes her failings in song.

Yes exactly. I didn't read that song as "let's laugh at mental illness," it more managed to perfectly describe my own inner monologue.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't really care for either of them :)

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Hawkgirl posted:

Yes exactly. I didn't read that song as "let's laugh at mental illness," it more managed to perfectly describe my own inner monologue.

You ruined everything describes mine.

and settle for me and gregs drinking song and shitshow and and and

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Refresh yourself on our contestants and then vote here!
Everything I voted for is currently losing, except for Friendtopia. :(

EVGA Longoria posted:

This contest is rigged. Rigged! Friendtopia vs you're my best friend? SHENANIGANS
That is certainly an unfortunate matchup.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

EVGA Longoria posted:

You might not be watching the right show.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I liked it plenty at the time but honestly the only strong memory I have of it now is how they kept switching who was playing the piano until it was the parcel. It's certainly nowhere near as good as Stupid Bitch.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Greg is my main squeeze but I didn't really like his drinking song as much as Love Triangles.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

EmmyOk posted:

Greg is my main squeeze but I didn't really like his drinking song as much as Love Triangles.

Heresy!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't really like Rachel's affectation in it but I found the increasing irritation of the mathematicians very funny!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

I don't really like Rachel's affectation in it but I found the increasing irritation of the mathematicians very funny!

Yeah. Those guys where kinda cool. But as a mathematician myself, I hate the implicit idea that some people consider their ignorance cute or adorable. I am absolutely sure that they didn't really mean it that way, but I dislike that song nonetheless. Those affectations are really awful as well.
It probably doesn't help that I have no particular interest in the era that song is aping.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah. Those guys where kinda cool. But as a mathematician myself, I hate the implicit idea that some people consider their ignorance cute or adorable. I am absolutely sure that they didn't really mean it that way, but I dislike that song nonetheless. Those affectations are really awful as well.

They're deliberately awful -- the song's satirizing those exact ideas.

That said, while I've grown to like the song more over time, I still find that Bloom's performance tips over from comedically irritating to actually irritating.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

They're deliberately awful -- the song's satirizing those exact ideas.

I am aware of that. But I think there is an oversaturation of satire. If a topic or a person annoys me enough that I just want it to be gone, I don't like satires about it either. That's also the reason I don't really enjoy Alec Baldwins well-done political sketches on SNL anymore.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Math of Love Triangles is good but if you're not really into the concepts it's parodying (ie me) it's insanely goddamn annoying.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
"Tell Me I'm Okay" was a bit bland and Seth Green was pretty awkwardly inserted into that episode. "Devil Winds", on the other hand, is cool and good.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Math of Love Triangles is loving hysterical to me, if solely because of the mathematicians constantly trying to course correct her throughout the song.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Shark Sandwich posted:

"Tell Me I'm Okay" was a bit bland and Seth Green was pretty awkwardly inserted into that episode.

Yeah but the package playing the piano made up for it

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

All the running jokes in the second season including hints about Robert back in season one!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

lmao

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Yeah but the package playing the piano made up for it

I believe you'll find we're voting for best song not best visual gag.
:goonsay:

(It was a good gag though)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Math of Love Triangles is good but if you're not really into the concepts it's parodying (ie me) it's insanely goddamn annoying.

Is your username an Earl Sweatshirt reference?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

EVGA Longoria posted:

isn't mental illness funny?

You're right, why isn't this the thread title?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Tell Me I'm Okay is good partly because of the echoes of Bacharach and Sondheim, and also because that bit where she's accusing him of having a manual for how normal people act is so dead on. It's not even just mental illness, who hasn't felt like that?

But again I like all the songs.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

Is your username an Earl Sweatshirt reference?

Nice eye! You're the first person to catch that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Have a drag performance of Love Kernels (they had to tinker with the final verse to make it intelligible to non-show-watchers, so no broom Darryl sadly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jU1Df2bPic

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Fell into that trap again of underestimating the show and holding off on watching the last episode until it came out on Netflix. Wish I hadn't, because watching that live would have been something else. drat. I end that episode hating Josh, but loving all the unraveling of Rebecca's past, why it's not just her father giving her these issues and the point of the songs.

Also, this voting thing is awesome, but I honestly have to question the reasoning behind some of the wins. I absolutely hated Research Me Obsessively.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

A lot of songs I really liked got knocked out in round one. But there's always the losers' bracket!!!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh hey, sorry for the double post, but it's Saturday night again. So here we go!

:siren: ROUND 3: FIGHT! :siren:

Rebecca's love for Josh squares up against Greg's love for liquor:
Love Kernels vs Greg's Drinking Song

Polterguys versus girls:
We Tapped That rear end vs Friendtopia

Brittany Snow takes on Tovah Feldshuh and Patti LuPone (which, frankly, seems bad for Brittany):
Research Me Obsessively vs Remember That We Suffered

And the Devil Winds hope to blow past Rebecca's Medley to the semis.
Devil Winds vs Medley (Rebecca's Reprise)

edit for link to vote :downs:
CLICK HERE TO BACK YOUR HORSES

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 19, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Nice eye! You're the first person to catch that.

I listen to Frank Ocean obssessively but hadn't heard that much of the other Odd Future people until I heard Sunday and started listening to Earl a lot too!

I swear to God lads do not gently caress this up

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Only one wrong choice in round 2, good job folks. Except for thought bubbles losing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
who are these idiots who keep voting for research me obsessively

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Escobarbarian posted:

Ah-haaahhhh.
Oops it's three month later and still on my playlist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

It's a good fun song!

I finally didn't vote for it this time though because Remember That We Suffered is amazing

My own nemesis this season seems to be Tapped That rear end

• Locked thread