Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Dam updated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
holy poo poo that's insane. the helicopter shots :ohdear:

so much erosion goin on over the emergency spillway

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I'm so hype for a couple of cubic kilometers of water crashing down a hill right now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Budgie posted:

I'm so hype for a couple of cubic kilometers of water crashing down a hill right now.

I feel like they should have prepared fireworks as well.

Both as warning for people to hold their breath, and to make it more of event than a catastrophe.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Budgie posted:

The sun has set, so you won't get the best view.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Fields downstream are already flooded and cars are backed up right next to the floodplains. This could be really loving bad...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Helicopter is on scene now: http://www.kcra.com/nowcast

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Budgie posted:

https://youtu.be/aa3nFLZIvbU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Fasdar posted:

Fields downstream are already flooded and cars are backed up right next to the floodplains. This could be really loving bad...

Yeah, they were already dumping as much water as they could before it overtopped the emergency spillway

We would probably be having this same issues even if the main spillway never had issues

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MisterOblivious posted:

Oh, and they're mad about all those sweet drone shots and issued a temporary flight restriction to make them illegal.

when you're having some kind of emergency and you may need to put aircraft in the area for reasons you dont want every yokel in thirty miles coming by to use the sweet new camera drone they got for christmas

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

boner confessor posted:

when you're having some kind of emergency and you may need to put aircraft in the area for reasons you dont want every yokel in thirty miles coming by to use the sweet new camera drone they got for christmas

Yeah, that law got passed becuase assholes kept flying drones near forest fires and after one sucked a drone into its engine, they've been forced to ground planes anytime drones are sighted in the area

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
You know all those films and tv shows with flying cars and poo poo? Imagine that but on the Chinese/Russian dash cam thread. One day the whole air travel laws and safety thing is going to have to be rebuilt from the ground up and it's starting with drones.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ak Gara posted:

You know all those films and tv shows with flying cars and poo poo? Imagine that but on the Chinese/Russian dash cam thread. One day the whole air travel laws and safety thing is going to have to be rebuilt from the ground up and it's starting with drones.

If by that you mean that people with drones will have to actually act with some personal responsibility and consider the consequences of their actions, sure

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i tuned in to watch some prime human fuckup footage and instead some rear end in a top hat is standing in front of an mspaint gray rectangle with the words "spillway" on it tediously explaining the concept of a wall and how water flows over things

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me

Ol Standard Retard posted:

holy poo poo that's insane. the helicopter shots :ohdear:

so much erosion goin on over the emergency spillway

Nah dude it's totally under control, choppers are going to start dropping rocks to fill the crevices any time now :lol::lol:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://twitter.com/YubaCityCA/status/830972136097447936

Yuba City is ~65k

This is pretty insane

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
My dad is a stones throw from the river, and he's not evacuating, the stubborn bastard. God drat it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

My dad is a stones throw from the river, and he's not evacuating, the stubborn bastard. God drat it.

Make sure that he knows that he's a dead man if he doesn't

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

I am truly sorry.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Improbable Lobster posted:

Make sure that he knows that he's a dead man if he doesn't

Truth

If the dam fails, there will be no warning and even if there was, he couldn't escape in time anyways

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Harry Truman is still convinced Mt. St. Helens isn't going to erupt.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah my brothers and I have been blowing up his phone.

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me
Looking good, nothing to be worried about. Just helidrop some boulders.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

lost my retainer posted:

No, no, it's supposed to do that.

Just, like 10 times slower.

Hot diggity they got a fine newscaster woman.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

When he's dead, can i have his stuff?

whatever's dry, i'm not picky.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Welp he's dead

Resurrection!

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lost my retainer posted:

Holy poo poo thats a lot of erosion

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fly Molo posted:

Holy poo poo thats a lot of erosion

That's a concrete lip. It's supposed to look like that. The problem is apparently that stuff on the far left that is threatening to undermine the concrete and cause it to break up. At this point it's holding, though.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Insane Dam video: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Oroville-Dam-in-Danger-of-Collapse-Evacuations-Ordered-413543783.html

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

The Lake Berryessa spillway (aka "the glory hole") is probably going to overflow sometime next week for the first time in a decade. It's currently 1 foot below the lip. I'm gonna ride up to see it if so.

that's 70 feet in diameter, and a 200-foot drop straight down before the spillway starts to turn under the dam

Kayak and a gopro? People went over Niagra falls in a barrel.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

That's a concrete lip. It's supposed to look like that. The problem is apparently that stuff on the far left that is threatening to undermine the concrete and cause it to break up. At this point it's holding, though.

The far left is always trying to erode our freedoms dams :argh:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Deteriorata posted:

That photo shows a lot of erosion regardless.

See the road on the right that abruptly ends? Yeah, it didn’t use to do that.

e: Not the best angle for comparison, but here’s the road before:

https://twitter.com/tehamacospotter/status/830456955458113536

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

It's getting a tad worse

If you squint this looks like MST3K, which it most likely is.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Call him and start asking for his preferences for his funeral next week.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Damageddon live on Facebook Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF3j82YEsTo

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 13, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Call your dad and tell him if he doesn't evacuate, you're going to become a gay and start sucking D full time.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Keiya posted:

Call him and start asking for his preferences for his funeral next week.

Are funerals any cheaper if there's no body recovered? That would probably be the case here.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Let's try the Facebook link again:

https://www.facebook.com/KCRA3/videos/10155026580966514

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Why do olds have to be so goddamn stubborn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
poo poo, it's hit Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-california-dam-idUSKBN15S04W