Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mozi posted:

Why do I get the sense that they don't really have any idea of what to do?

from the article the emergency spillway isn't actually a proper spillway so its better to keep using the damaged one until it stops raining and they can begin repairs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mozi posted:

I mean, what do you do? Apart from the aforementioned "helicopter dumping buckets of concrete into the hole".

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Well, yeah. I guess the only option is to just let it keep eroding until the rainy season is over and they can shut it off, but still. Perhaps a small preview of what is to come with all the other infrastructure we have that is past its designed lifespan?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

chitoryu12 posted:

I mean, what do you do? Apart from the aforementioned "helicopter dumping buckets of concrete into the hole".

You get a bunch of hoses and siphon the water out of the reservoir and past the spillway. Maybe really big hoses.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

chitoryu12 posted:

World's.

Largest.

Sponge.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

Build a sick ramp over the hole so the water goes past and then waterfalls onto the working section of spillway. :hellyeah:

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.

I recently bought a 200-year-old house. When we were doing the home inspection, something like one of these fire suppression grenades was hanging in the cellar. The home inspector said, "This thing needs to come out, stat."

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

DamnCanadian posted:

I recently bought a 200-year-old house. When we were doing the home inspection, something like one of these fire suppression grenades was hanging in the cellar. The home inspector said, "This thing needs to come out, stat."

Did you take pix?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yawgmoth posted:

World's.

Largest.

Sponge.

Airdrop in a legion of beavers

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

World's.

Largest.

Sponge.

But enough about your mother's feminine hygiene products.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Those fire grenades generally used carbon tetrachloride (though some used salt water), which is potentially bad news if you like being healthy. Apparently, heat can turn it into phosgene, so, ya know, toss it in a fire. The ones you can find for sale as antiques are usually drilled and the contents dumped, although that seems problematic in its own way. Years back, I bought some full ones for my firefighter uncle because they are an interesting piece of equipment. I think he stuck them in the firehouse for all to see. Hopefully they never get knocked over! :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

from the article the emergency spillway isn't actually a proper spillway so its better to keep using the damaged one until it stops raining and they can begin repairs

There’s no control over the emergency spillway. It’s just where the water goes if the reservoir is completely full so it doesn’t overtop the dam.

If water overtops an earthen dam, the whole thing fails in short order, so it behooves people to design an extremely robust emergency spillway, but you still don’t want to get to the point where water starts using it.

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.

Volcott posted:

Did you take pix?

Unfortunately, no; it was there for the inspection, but was gone once we took possession. It looked like one of those grenades, but made of red and white glass, suspended from a piece of twine inside a minimal brass wire cage. I guess if there was a fire, it would burn through the twine, dropping the the grenade. The cage was probably to keep it from being accidentally knocked down.

It was hanging about 5 1/2 feet off the floor, so I'm having a hard time thinking that tiny little grenade could have done much against a fire with flames that high.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Extinguishing fires with halogenated carbons is the closest thing to a magic trick, you need astonishingly little because they tend to be outright fire inhibitors in most fire circumstances as opposed to oxygen displacers like CO2 or temperature control like water deluge.

Creating phosgene (or the fluorine analog for fluorinated carbons) isn't the biggest deal in the world. Homegoods are absolutely filled with chlorinated and fluorinated plastics which will do the same when on fire. Smoke inhalation is a huge killer and firefighter bunker gear is equivalent to pretty hefty chemical protection.

Carbon tet is pretty mean on a health basis outright though and was phased out for a variety of other halogenated carbons with inhibition properties. Except oh hey the same sort of inhibition reactions also eat the ozone layer so the Montreal Protocol killed the common ones and it seems they're just catching back up with a solely fluorinated option.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

DamnCanadian posted:

What is the chemical that (I assume) displaces oxygen in these?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv50SLAwxG4

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

That is both terrifying yet immensely satisfying to watch.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Visual payoff.So what

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

DamnCanadian posted:

It looked like one of those grenades, but made of red and white glass, suspended from a piece of twine inside a minimal brass wire cage. I guess if there was a fire, it would burn through the twine, dropping the the grenade.

Huh, for an olde-timey device that's kind of cool.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

chitoryu12 posted:

Concrete doesn't just cave in like that unless the underlying formation is removed. There's definitely some undermining going on, and I think just dumping buckets of concrete into it wouldn't be a really good option because it would just wash away. Now, the big question is, is the undermining due to a fault in the spillway, or is this water actually coming through the dam? Either way, if I lived downstream on the flood plain, I'd be just a tad loving nervous.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MausoleumExtremist posted:

That is both terrifying yet immensely satisfying to watch.

Is that a loving car flying through the air?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Mozi posted:

I like to think they stand around making dam puns until it's irreparable.

"Dam, that's a big hole"
"Well dam, how are we gonna fix that?"
Until the inevitable news conference with "this is a dam shame"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

"Well dam, how are we gonna fix that?"

“Dammed if I know.”

When they wade into the reservoir to do a survey, they’ll be Knee Deep in the Dammed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Probably some sort of compressed gas tank or something by the way it explodes.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

D1Sergo posted:

Huh, for an olde-timey device that's kind of cool.

and full of chemicals so harmful i don't think you can even sell them at antique stores! at least i know ebay bans them if they're filled with the good chemical.

zedprime posted:

Extinguishing fires with halogenated carbons is the closest thing to a magic trick, you need astonishingly little because they tend to be outright fire inhibitors in most fire circumstances as opposed to oxygen displacers like CO2 or temperature control like water deluge.

Creating phosgene (or the fluorine analog for fluorinated carbons) isn't the biggest deal in the world. Homegoods are absolutely filled with chlorinated and fluorinated plastics which will do the same when on fire. Smoke inhalation is a huge killer and firefighter bunker gear is equivalent to pretty hefty chemical protection.

Carbon tet is pretty mean on a health basis outright though and was phased out for a variety of other halogenated carbons with inhibition properties. Except oh hey the same sort of inhibition reactions also eat the ozone layer so the Montreal Protocol killed the common ones and it seems they're just catching back up with a solely fluorinated option.

People typically think of a death by smoke inhalation as being overwhelmed by smoke and suffocating specifically due to a lack of oxygen, but a lot of the time you're straight up poisoned by fumes from burning carpet, glues, paints, PVC pipes... household cleaners.... the list goes on and on. Burning buildings produce horrible, horrible smoke and fumes.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 9, 2017

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Kinda looks like one doesn't it? It might be a big container full of explosive liquid or gas though. Often the welds at the top/bottom are the weakest so they launch into the air like rockets (or blow their lid) when they go.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
El aftermath:

http://videos-cdn.levante-emv.com/multimedia/videos/2017/02/08/115271/camion-bomberos-calcinado-incendio-fuente-jarro-1_g.mp4

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Fasdar posted:

What is the chemical that (I assume) displaces oxygen in these?

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think it works similar to fluorated Halon extinguishers. Which means it is not displacing oxygen, but it is interrupting the oxidation reaction by raising the the required activation energy. Ideally the chain reaction - spreading fire - is stopped by that.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

Some expanding foam should take care of it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Concrete doesn't just cave in like that unless the underlying formation is removed. There's definitely some undermining going on, and I think just dumping buckets of concrete into it wouldn't be a really good option because it would just wash away. Now, the big question is, is the undermining due to a fault in the spillway, or is this water actually coming through the dam? Either way, if I lived downstream on the flood plain, I'd be just a tad loving nervous.

I bet it's loving ants, those guys undermine like motherfuckers if they get under something. And they're practically communists.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

chitoryu12 posted:

Fill it with prison loaf, that stuff is supposed to be fairly rugged.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

spog posted:

They originally used a model Corvette for that demonstration as it looked cooler, but it kept spinning off before they even added the the toy trailer.

I chuckled

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010
Some OSHA news from my general area. Yesterday at around 2:30 PM EST a pile of garbage shifted or fell over on/under some trucks in a landfill. 5 or 6 people were in trucks, all but one is currently out. Last I knew there was one guy still in a front end loader buried under 100-150 feet of garbage. This is pretty morbid but any idea how long someone could survive something like that?

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

DonnyTrump posted:

Some OSHA news from my general area. Yesterday at around 2:30 PM EST a pile of garbage shifted or fell over on/under some trucks in a landfill. 5 or 6 people were in trucks, all but one is currently out. Last I knew there was one guy still in a front end loader buried under 100-150 feet of garbage. This is pretty morbid but any idea how long someone could survive something like that?

I'm going on 12 years.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Depends how old the trash is and how much organic matter is in it, even with a big air pocket I would expect swamp gas to push all the oxygen out fairly quickly

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/NYC-Doorman-Dies-in-Freak-Accident-After-Falling-Through-Glass-Window-413322073.html

Man, that's bullshit.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DonnyTrump posted:

Assuming it's an enclosed cab and they weren't crushed to death instantly? The big killer is suffocation. Depending on how large the cab was and how compacted the garbage around the cab ventilation is, they could potentially hold out for several hours, maybe a day. Panicking or not turning off the engine would reduce that by quite a bit.

I'd imagine that if they can't be retrieved quickly, the priority would be getting a hose to pump air through down to them, after which they can probably survive for a couple of (rather unpleasant) days while getting slowly dug out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ground level plate glass windows are bullshit.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lime Tonics posted:

Just a small crack,

It's getting a tad worse

And here's the emergency overflow, basically just the side of that mountain there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
oh well i'm sure its not going to rain in oroville for like the next two weeks or anything

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Oroville+CA+95966:4:US

uh oh