Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

John Romero posted:

this was not a great card but I had a good time being there and it was cool to have a chance to see Anderson live. When I was checking out of the hotel this morning I saw jacare but was too timid to say anything

i hope you had a good weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Not for the sake of to spoiling the joke but rahter for my sanity...

Anderson Silva is not scheduled for a fight. Corey Anderson is scheduled to fight Jimi Manuwa in London.

Ha, I completely missed that. I did think it was a quick turnaround but then it's not like he took much damage against Brunson.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Tsyni posted:

He's a step or less from another title shot. Bisping vs. Silva 2.

true

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

attackmole posted:

MMA stats are literally the worst because the entire basis of most sports analytics is that you can quantify point return. An NBA bucket is two points, a guy runs past home plate that's one run. Satisfy this condition, you get this return that contributes to your score. There is no equivalent of that in MMA. Judging is arbitrary, and a Jake Shields AISH and a Roy Nelson haymaker are both a single punch that may or may not be 'significant' depending on if some fightmetric intern presses the right button. Two punches that are counted the same can have vastly different effects.

I mean with camera tracking and advanced analytics people are trying more and more crazy and interesting stuff but there's basically no worse sport to apply it to than MMA unless you're Greg Jackson and read a book on game theory once.

I still maintain that the best illustration of the phenomenon is Lawler/Condit, where the stats are really, really lopsided, but the fight isn't. It's not because Condit is point-fighting or anything, he's throwing lots of stuff that hurts (you can tell because he hurts Lawler repeatedly) but he's thinking about the 4th punch he throws in a combination. The first three were to get you moving, to make you lean the wrong way so you don't see the fourth coming, while Lawler just throws everything really hard, trusting his timing and power to do the damage. Neither is inherently better or worse, and both used their styles effectively, they're just thinking about striking differently and thus the stats are almost useless in assessing it. I watched the fight as it happened and only looked up the stats the next day.

kimbo305 posted:

Dana cozy with Trump to prevent losing any fighters to deportation.

"Mr Finland" And Gegard Mousassi were both born in Iran and fight out of Europe, they're prime candidates for that dumbass ban.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't know that Anderson is really that close to a title shot, there's probably 3 guys in line in front of him (Yoel, Jacare, probably Rockhold) and he hasn't put in a really strong performance since...Chael 2? Personally I hope Manuwa smashes him.

Jacare will never fight for the title as they will never give him a fight that matters to set him up for it. He's managed to have two opponents that matter in the last 4 years, the rest of the time, they've just got him doing time trials on increasingly low ranked opponents.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

handsome only face posted:

everyone would have loved 208 if it had Mike Goldberg saying "ULTIMATE BEASTMASTER" inbetween every round

I'm still waiting on hardcore henry's first fight

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
lobov as a headliner is trash

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jon Jones twitter picture is very funny

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

SquirrelGrip posted:

lobov is trash

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i hope you had a good weekend

i did, the wife and i went to a cool german restaurant before the fights then went to the brooklyn museum this afternoon. there's an exhibit right now that's just sketches of iggy pop's dick.

hope everyone else had a good one

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
cub is good enough to rid us of lobov forever.... right?

Bumpy Johnson
Oct 9, 2012

https://streamable.com/l4at6

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ICHIBAHN posted:

Germaine is a rat cheating gently caress no doubt about it

Right on

So she's a dutch kickboxer?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I hope De Randamie vs Cyborg is a terrible trainwreck that ends in a draw or DQ or some poo poo and Dana just agrees the division was a mistake and we all pretend it never happened

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I actually did not hate de Randamie vs Holm as much as you all seemed to, but I think it was a matter of perspective. I went into it figuring that if someone didn't knock the other out, it would probably be the most dire, tepid, unwatchable dogshit I could ever imagine, so it was considerably better than I anticipated (despite Holm's best efforts to meet my expectations in the later rounds.) Even without that, I thought it was better than the Teixeira fight.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I thought Holly vs De Randamie was a good fight that Holm kept trying to make bad. Obviously it was marred by the late hits as well.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

chaleski posted:

I hope De Randamie vs Cyborg is a terrible trainwreck that ends in a draw or DQ or some poo poo and Dana just agrees the division was a mistake and we all pretend it never happened

When does Cyborg get off her suspension? and start the countdown for popping again?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

I actually did not hate de Randamie vs Holm as much as you all seemed to, but I think it was a matter of perspective. I went into it figuring that if someone didn't knock the other out, it would probably be the most dire, tepid, unwatchable dogshit I could ever imagine, so it was considerably better than I anticipated (despite Holm's best efforts to meet my expectations in the later rounds.) Even without that, I thought it was better than the Teixeira fight.

I agree, it was actually a decent fight by the standards of Holly holm fights, de Randamie kinda brought out the fight in her except whenever she would start to get momentum she would press against the cage and do nothing for minutes at a time while Greg jackson yelled at her to separate

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

red19fire posted:

When does Cyborg get off her suspension? and start the countdown for popping again?

Supposedly a year from when she popped, so December maybe? Hopefully they throw the book at her and she takes the full two years.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bluedeanie posted:

I thought it was better than the Teixeira fight.

Cannonier was weird in that he was good enough on the floor to not have glover instantly take his arm / head home but had nothing for the glover patented single leg takedown. Alaska is weird.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

chaleski posted:

Supposedly a year from when she popped, so December maybe? Hopefully they throw the book at her and she takes the full two years.

I think she can only get 1 year for what she tested for.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

...and the pitch! posted:

I think she can only get 1 year for what she tested for.

she'll fail again

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Did Anderson retire? Because he should.

My favourite part was when he gave an extended retirement speech without actually retiring.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Skip My Posts posted:

she'll fail again

It seems likely

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

https://twitter.com/JustBleedMMA/status/830981643783462912

quote:

BREAKING: Anderson Silva flagged by USADA for potential anti-doping violation hours after #UFC208 http://bit.ly/1HRqmer

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Just retire dude loving hell

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Roid tech dot com

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I don't know what to do with these sad balls and unfertilized eggs -- they're calling again.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Lmao

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

GOD drat EVERYTHING!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Captain Log posted:

GOD drat EVERYTHING!

Oh wait, it was a joke.

I'll leave the old post so everyone knows I'm dumb as hell.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
It's cool that Anderson has become literally Chael Sonnen but instead of supernatural steroid fuelled performances he just sort of does mostly nothing

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Oh it's not real. Well good, Anderson's honour remains intact as a guy who took steroids but explained in public that his dick is hosed up to ask for leniency.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

I don't care. I'm not mad. I'm not happy. This doesn't affect any fight I'd ever want to see. I've reached a zen-like state which precedes ascending to the legendary super saiyan.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Oh its fake... sorry but I was willing to extend the benefit to the doubt to just bleed mma. Still I'm happy because I learned something about myself today.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I want a ufc hot dog brander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'd be fine with a hot dog.

• Locked thread