Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Does anybody even care about ballet anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dejawesp posted:

Yeah some guy wrote it and threw it out there like a hand grenade and every single MRI jumped on it as an example of how crazy the modern feminist is.

Can they go back to being called MRAs so I don't mix them up with the medical scan?

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

WampaLord posted:

Can they go back to being called MRAs so I don't mix them up with the medical scan?

:corsair:

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

goose willis posted:

Does anybody even care about ballet anymore

I do, but I'm weird.

Also, what ballet does to the feet of even those rail thin ballerinas is kinda horrifying. No matter how skinny you are, ballet does a number on your feet and the art is full of horror stories of dancers who suffer fractures in the middle of performances and still finish! Being overweight is just going to magnify those problems even if your technique is really good.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Yeah, my mum was a professional dancer for a whole in her teens (toured South Africa during Apartheid, danced at the opening of the UN HQ in Vienna) and if you suggested to her that size doesn't matter in ballet she'd laugh in your face. They used to get weighed weekly, and if they'd gained any weight, they'd have to pay a fine. She has plenty of stories of sharing rooms with bulimic girls, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence. :downs:

One of my friends had an exam when she was 12 and weighed 38 kg (because of her height, she was borderline underweight) and was told she lost marks for being "fat" (at which point she said "gently caress that" and quit).

If you're just dancing for your own enjoyment? Yeah sure, do your thing. Want to be a professional? You're going to have to weigh under 55kg and fall within certain height requirements.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It's like being an astronaut

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

GreenMetalSun posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could go en pointe for like, two seconds/long enough to snap photograph too. Especially if I was holding onto a doorknob.

I'd be more impressed if she was doing this.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Stoatbringer posted:

I'd be more impressed if she was doing this.

To be fair, I'd be impressed with the dude as well

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Currently on front page of imgur

There's a sob story attached too.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
uhh my gf killed herself, TIME TO MAKE A MEME

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Ah yes a totally appropriate reaction to someone you were about to loving engage killing themselves on the same day you posted that

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The head cashier for the store I work at is old, skinny as a twig, smokes, drinks, and looks like a meth addict. There's a couple regulars who always hit on her whenever they're in the store. Sometimes there's just no accounting for taste.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

It's so depressing that she has to fabricate a conversation to reinforce what little self-confidence she has. I assume she told herself those compliments on her bathroom mirror whilst trying to escape her abusive boyfriend, but ultimately made this poo poo up so that he will think she has other options to force him to be nicer.

Ok goodnight

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Sane

quote:

It hasn't made me evil, but it has either made me utterly insane to the point of manically laughing (not the really loud laugh, the low kind of maniacal laughter) at rejection, or so sane that I recognize the irony of just how I got rejected (in one case) and how much effort somebody went through trying to make the rejection gentle (a few days of planning all possible explanations for why she couldn't make it. I asked her what day the dance was. She didn't know), only to end up having all the time wasted with her blurting out that she didn't want to go with me. I think I may actually be both sane and insane, although that may be the sane part of me rationalizing that nobody can be totally sane or the insane part being insane.

Egypt

quote:

Can I just say that I am so glad to be home from Egypt? Not only did everyone trying to sell me stuff call me ma'am (I'm a nineteen year old occasionally mistaken for sixteen), they also kept assuming my dad was my husband, to the point that it was loving creepy. Even the staff at the hotels we stayed in kept trying to upgrade us from twin beds to a single king-size - one clerk put us in the honeymoon suite.

These next few are from "Made of Iron"

Football

quote:

This troper found out that all through high school he had a rapidly growing tumor in his chest that had been crunching his lung and carotid artery more and more as time went on. He still managed to have steadily improving grades, held down a job, worked out regularly, and found a girlfriend (who he is still with) despite that getting worse and worse. Only noticed it when his chest started hurting like hell at work and thought he was having a heart attack. Calmly asked his boss to go home, went to the ER after checking Web MD, and a tumor the size of a football came up on a chest X-ray. After that the NEXT in a long, long sequence of [[Made Of Iron]] happened when he only got long-term hospitalized a month later and had a biopsy done when he should've been gone, flatlined on the operating table, and his heart started again without any intervention other than sitting him up. After that, he had about 6 hours left and was being transferred to a cancer hospital in NYC (a point if you guess which one). The directions were gotten by loving MAPQUEST, and it took 8 hours to get there. Got in too dehydrated for them to find a vein, so they had to dig around in his leg for a bit and gave him an anesthesia free spinal tap.

IQ

quote:

They started me on huge doses of chemo sufficient to kill me in and of themselves, I suspect because "if we don't he's dead, if we do he's probably dead. Why not let's see what happens". The tumor shrank 75% and over the course of treatment my blood counts rarely dropped below normal levels, and recovered quickly when they did. Four years later and he's entirely fine except for walking with a cane while his legs fix themselves from some minor bone damage, when he should be dead, maimed, or have experienced serious brain damage. His IQ actually went UP from all this because of getting used to thinking on no oxygen.

Knight

quote:

This troper's friend must be indestructible, because he has taken this list without so much as broken or dislocated bone, a torn muscle or tendon and has yet to get knocked the gently caress out: 3 shots (.357 at 4 feet away), 1 shot (9mm pressed to the gun), 2 shots (.22 at ten yards), 48 knifes, run over with a car, hit with 3 other cars, hit and thrown by a truck, blown up and pumped with three pieces of sharpnel from his home made explosive( him and four other friends were going to use it to chop down a tree......he is smart and stupid all at once), a baseball bat to the head and he splintered the tip, well over 200 fights ( he has sorta of knightly thing going on and me and our other friends tend to make enemies.......the knight ends up kicking a whole helluva lota rear end and the way he fights has gotten him nick-names such as "hound of war" and "iron ribs") and some..ehem...rather brutal sex with me and his other gently caress buddy

Genitals

quote:

This troper has had a ton of odd incidents happen to him without permanent (or even noticeable) injuries; being bounced off a trampoline several times (once landing flat on his back on the hard Arizona dirt with his head smacking into a nearby wood pile), splitting his chin on the head of a friend he accidentally landed on while jumping into their swimming pool, purposely getting shocked repeatedly in the genitals with a stripped electrical cord, among others. Only things he had to go to the hospital for was the split chin.

Rage

quote:

This troper found out the hard way. Lets just say, like 5 of your average jocks, each 150 pounds of complete muscle, raining punches and kicks all on a guys balls. All I did was to just walk it off. They didn't like that, so they went and tried to experiment and see what happens when you forcefully insert an elbow between a head and a shoulder. I went and read a book. Getting pissed off, they went and decided to charge at me full force, and try to smash me against a wall. Once again, protocol dictated that I walk it off without a word. Looking back on that completely true story, the only thing that really pissed me off or hurt was time spent not reading, and the fact that adults are either blind or idiots, cause they did this in the middle of lessons. In a crowded classroom. Without receiving any consequence other than relieving pent up rage.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Khazar-khum posted:

It hasn't made me evil, but it has either made me utterly insane to the point of manically laughing (not the really loud laugh, the low kind of maniacal laughter) at rejection, or so sane that I recognize the irony of just how I got rejected (in one case) and how much effort somebody went through trying to make the rejection gentle (a few days of planning all possible explanations for why she couldn't make it. I asked her what day the dance was. She didn't know), only to end up having all the time wasted with her blurting out that she didn't want to go with me. I think I may actually be both sane and insane, although that may be the sane part of me rationalizing that nobody can be totally sane or the insane part being insane.

did jared leto write this

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Khazar-khum posted:

Looking back on that completely true story

Mhmm

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Khazar-khum posted:

His IQ actually went UP from all this because of getting used to thinking on no oxygen.

Conversely, my IQ just became lower after reading this poo poo

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Nurse--Doctor I can't find a vein in this guy and this tumor is about to flatline him

Doctor--*narrows eyes* He should have been dead a long time ago, how is he still alive? GET ME THE DEFIB

Troper--really I'm fine you guys

Nurse--after trying to find a vein in his arm with a regular IV, I have exhausted all options for vein location, i heard on Greys Anatomy about spinal taps maybe that will do the trick Doctor?

Doctor--I concur, get him that saline straight to his spinal cord, also you get an immediate raise Nurse Goon

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Khazar-khum posted:

Football

quote:

...and a tumor the size of a football came up on a chest X-ray.

I don't think he know how big a football (either American or soccer) is.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

flosofl posted:

I don't think he know how big a football (either American or soccer) is.

It was clearly a deflated football.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I want to imagine that the guy who supposedly got shot a bunch of times was always like, getting a bullet through the fleshly part of his butt or something where there's nothing important.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

This troper's friend must be indestructible, because he has taken this list without so much as broken or dislocated bone, a torn muscle or tendon and has yet to get knocked the gently caress out: 3 shots (.357 at 4 feet away), 1 shot (9mm pressed to the gun), 2 shots (.22 at ten yards), 48 knifes, run over with a car, hit with 3 other cars, hit and thrown by a truck, blown up and pumped with three pieces of sharpnel from his home made explosive( him and four other friends were going to use it to chop down a tree......he is smart and stupid all at once), a baseball bat to the head and he splintered the tip, well over 200 fights ( he has sorta of knightly thing going on and me and our other friends tend to make enemies.......the knight ends up kicking a whole helluva lota rear end and the way he fights has gotten him nick-names such as "hound of war" and "iron ribs") and some..ehem...rather brutal sex with me and his other gently caress buddy

So uh that took a weird turn.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Could you imagine hearing someone being called "hound of war" in real life? How could you not laugh your rear end off at how corny that is?

Anyway that whole thing sounded like the person who grew up watching action movies instead of playing video games and it's their version of "my uncle that works at nintendo".

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
how does that lead to sex

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

how does that lead to sex

That's something that I would like to know, but also really don't want to know.

You know, if it wasn't all fake.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Khazar-khum posted:

I think I may actually be both sane and insane, although that may be the sane part of me rationalizing that nobody can be totally sane or the insane part being insane.

:nallears:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Lol at the rage troper story

"Just reminding you this is a completely true story with not a single made-up element except for all of it"

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Confession Bear is cheating

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Bargearse posted:

My grandpa was a German soldier who spent some time in a Russian prison camp, developed a strong hatred of both fascism and communism, then moved to Australia the first chance he got.

Sadly I didn't hear many stories from him. He didn't really talk about it much unless you directly asked him, and he died when I was too young to appreciate them.

why did he move to austrailia if he hated facism?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Confession Bear is cheating

Who's he cheating with?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Khazar-khum posted:

Who's he cheating with?

Probably that abused Puffin.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

life is killing me posted:

Nurse--Doctor I can't find a vein in this guy and this tumor is about to flatline him

Doctor--*narrows eyes* He should have been dead a long time ago, how is he still alive? GET ME THE DEFIB

Troper--really I'm fine you guys

Nurse--after trying to find a vein in his arm with a regular IV, I have exhausted all options for vein location, i heard on Greys Anatomy about spinal taps maybe that will do the trick Doctor?

Doctor--I concur, get him that saline straight to his spinal cord, also you get an immediate raise Nurse Goon

I have a lot of health issues that first started in my teens. At one point, at 17, I had to get a spinal tap it was decided. This was at my family doctor/pediatrician's office. All they had were the spinal tap needles sized for babies (the needles are curved to get inside your spinal column) That HURT like all get out and was totally ineffectual, just scraping my spine. So we went to the hospital instead, where they used an adult sized needle on me. I've had blood draws that hurt more than the correct sized ones. It's highly doubtful that a real, adult, medical center would bother anesthetizing for one, nor would cancer-boy be suffering for it.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Choco1980 posted:

I have a lot of health issues that first started in my teens. At one point, at 17, I had to get a spinal tap it was decided. This was at my family doctor/pediatrician's office. All they had were the spinal tap needles sized for babies (the needles are curved to get inside your spinal column) That HURT like all get out and was totally ineffectual, just scraping my spine. So we went to the hospital instead, where they used an adult sized needle on me. I've had blood draws that hurt more than the correct sized ones. It's highly doubtful that a real, adult, medical center would bother anesthetizing for one, nor would cancer-boy be suffering for it.

I had a spinal tap almost a decade ago when I had meningitis. It took six tries for them before it worked. My back looked like a pin cushion. The last one was done without anesthesia because the guy said that the anesthesia didn't go in deep enough to make a difference so I would just get needled twice then for no reason.

Turns out anesthesia makes a huge loving difference.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah but are they using this to actually get fluids and meds to patients in the absence of an IV? We discussed this a few pages back I think, but a PICC line was, I thought, the next idea if one couldn't find a vein.

I was in the hospital at Landstuhl for about 3 months, the nurses tried my arms over and over again, and then went to my hand, and then to my feet where they found a good vein. During all this, the head nurse had gotten wind of her nurses having trouble with my veins, and told them that if they weren't successful that they would have to do a PICC line.

I have had a lumbar puncture (not the same thing as a spinal tap technically, but I digress) when I was in middle school but that was to take spinal fluid OUT to test it, not to put any kind of fluids straight into my spinal column for any reason.

I just kind of feel like the stdh was basically, "Nurses couldn't find a vein, said gently caress it, let's do a spinal tap instead of doing our due diligence trying to find a vein"

Granted, IANAD or a nurse, but my understanding was that spinal taps were for a specific purpose, and that purpose wasn't intravenous fluid or medication as a last resort. Hell, I thought that they'd give you medication or fluid up your rear end before they'd go to a PICC line, honestly.

NE: I had anesthesia for the lumbar puncture, and it did little good. The doctor said, "You're going to feel a little uncomfortable in a sec," and then the needle hit my spine and it was like I had no anesthesia. Uncomfortable was an understatement.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A spinal tap *is* a lumbar puncture.

They can be used to pull fluids for diagnostic purposes or to apply anesthetic or other drugs to the cerebrospinal fluid. I know they've been used for brain tumor chemo.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

flosofl posted:

A spinal tap *is* a lumbar puncture.

Well yeah, in the strictest terms, though I'm not sure a lumbar puncture is a spinal tap.